I want to get into collecting either the Warhammer fantasy or 40k miniatures and obviously play the tabletop game as...

I want to get into collecting either the Warhammer fantasy or 40k miniatures and obviously play the tabletop game as well. Which would you recommend is better to get started with?

I like the fantasy setting better honestly but I've heard the new edition or whatever sucks.

Other urls found in this thread:

ohiohammer.com/counter-chargeccx/2016/5/8/ccx-68-kings-of-war-in-tampa-with-hunter-masters
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Step 1; Find a group of players, talk to them, if you like them, join them and they'll help you with all that shit.

asking staff at a GW store is a good way to get into it, generally there are people there playing/paining that you can also ask

the GW staff do exist to pressure you into buying codexes and rule books and shit though, so just be mindful of that until you knwo that you want to commit to the game

There is no "new edition" Fantasy has been killed off, and then replaced with a shitty skirmish game with that overtly takes inspiration from 40k.

Whatever you know what I meant

Fantasy is dead, now there is the (Dark) Age of Sigmar.
Either way, there are still ways to get into Warhammer Fantasy. Maybe you can still somehow track down a copy of the 8th edition rulebook, and at least one army book. GW still sells some old Fantasy miniature kits, and there are also miniatures of third party companies.
And yeah, there is still the fanmade 9th edition...

Do you have any friends who are also looking to get into it or are you diving in solo?

If you want to get into it for the gaming side (warning, they're not fantastic games) the important part is what the community is like.
Do you have a game store near you where people play? If so, check what they play and if they're cool or if they're raging, smelly autists. Are you planning to start from scratch with some friends and all get into it together? Might wanna check some other alternative games.

Do you want to get into it mostly because of the hobby side, that you like the idea of painting little cool dudes? Then just choose whatever you like the look of the best.

>8th Edition.
Fuck no, if you have to play WH, play six or seven edition, 8th was the worst.
Also OP really, WHFB or WH40k are, as games clunky, slow paced and unbalanced so beware, there are other games than are a lot more fun to play.

Solo

I have no friends

Have you scouted the near FLGS and stuff? Looking for what is played in your zones is a good idea.

Well you are gonna have to make some because tabletop games aren´t singleplayer games!

As others have said you should try to check out if there is a local scene and see what they are into, if you have a FLGS there is bound to be some 40/fantasy players in there. If not you might wanna check out the bigger wargaming forums for groups that are looking for people to play against.

Make friends who also share your love for the hobby, it's a lot easier than convincing your friends to spend +$100 in plastic figures.

I'm definitely looking more to getting into the game aspect of it as I'm sure I can't paint worth a shit

Try Kings of War. WHF is dead, but it lives on in spirit through the competitor's game.

Where are you located?

Florida.

about 30 minutes from Tampa

If you like melee: Fantasy
If you like shooting: 40k

user is right, GW is really really bad at writing rules. Even if things were balanced, they'd be slow and confusing. And most of the good fluff is from 10 years ago. Soooooooo, get some cheap used models off ebay and play them in a better game?

Competitive card games might be more to your liking. This is like someone getting into antique firearm collecting and saying "I'm not into it for the history I just want to do shooting competitions."

I definitely do not want to play a card game I fucking hate Hearthstone

Get Daemons. Play both/either

Yes. The only reason to play GW games is because you are in love with the lore and models and paint jobs and want to recreate the setting in real life. The rules are pretty decent for making more of a role playing, simulation style game as long as the two players bring an ounce of creativity and love for the setting. As far as just a battle game of tactical acumen it's terrible. It's woefully unbalanced, slow paced, clunky, and many rules are ambiguous or contradictory.

If you are a dude who just wants a tight battle game, I would try card games like magic or Netrunner or miniature games like Warmachine or maybe Bolt Action.

Warmachines is more about little units and combos, bolt action is cool tough.
If OP wants tactical and fun wargames, Kings of war has it all, while other games like Frostgrave or SoBaH are very good for skimirhsing little wargands. Another one I heard good things is Dragon Rampant for medium sized games of a few units of 6-12 dudes and a heroe, monster or two.

Yeah but I'm sure it's much harder to find people to play those games and the closest games shop to me is an official GW shop.

Agreed, I myself play Kings of War, but for your situation it´s probably better going for GW games initially as it´s easier finding opponents.

Also if you change your mind later you can use your Warhammer minis in Kings of War with out any issue,

But if you decide to change your mind here is a FB group of Kings of War players in the Tampa area. If nothing else they might point you in the direction of GW players.

Moot wont let me post the direct link to the group, but you will find a link to it here

ohiohammer.com/counter-chargeccx/2016/5/8/ccx-68-kings-of-war-in-tampa-with-hunter-masters

The new fantasy game, Age of Sigmar is really easy to get into, get a Start collecting box and you've pretty much got an army. The rules are free online. Try using a comp system tto balance your game, SGCT comp is good (google it).

For 40k its a little harder. You can again get a STart collecting box but they don't always give you the minimum core selections for your army. But theyre a good start nonetheless. Then you need a copy of the army book for your chosen army and a copy of the main rulebook. You can probably find these in the MEGA repository in one of the 40k generals as pdfs. A lot of the time youll need physical copies of the books if you want to play in GW stores depending on the staff, and theyre not cheap.

Honestly find what everyone else in your area is playing and do that. AoS doesnt always have a playerbase in some areas and is really strong in others. 40k is usually farily strong everywhere but Ive seen exceptions. If you want to start small and you dont want to play inn a GW you should try frostgrave.

How is this bait? He's obviously knew to this sort of thing.

The only place with an AoS playerbase is inside the walls of GW HQ. Don't buy AoS.

Not true. Get out of your bubble, idiot.

Dont respond to shitposters pal

Not him, but I really not see it played, must be a country thing but in Spain no club or flgs seems to have a healthy comunity and I seen a few.

>I'm definitely looking more to getting into the game aspect of it as I'm sure I can't paint worth a shit

You are essentially choosing a game, that's not very good, and that's massively expensive but who's saving grace is the fun and time-consuming hobby around it, but you're not really into the hobby side of it?

WHY are you not just playing boardgames or computer game? You'd be 1000x happier with Battlelore, Arcadia quest, or Diablo 3 I promise.

Do you really want to pay hundreds of dollars to play walk forward and hope you roll high, the game?

Maybe you should look into hex and counter games instead? The main draw of miniature wargames are the miniatures and the hobby aspect.

Check out:
Combat Comander: Pacific
Conflict of Heroes
ASL Starter Kit

I would say look at the other possibilities before committing to a game. GW games went downhill rapidly over past couple years.

If given gun-to-the-head choice between the two, I'd rather go with 40k than bite the bullet, but it's a close call.

Kangz of War

Made by the same people who made WFB back before GW turned WFB into Age of Shitmore

Rules are simple, fast paced and fun, plus you can get a competitive army w/o spending an arm and a leg.

Get AoS.

Fantasy is now Age of Sigmar (AoS), which has rules that are kind of shitty and not very deep, but they're all free online on the GW site, and the game is meant to be played as at a skirmish level (a hero, two or three squads, a warmachine/center piece) so nothing is stopping you from dropping a couple hundred bucks to build a little army to play casually

40k requires a bit more of an investment in books and models, 40k general should have a link to the place where you can download them if you want to read up and get a feel for it, and the shitty Veeky Forums wiki, 1d4chan, has tactics pages for all the 40k armies

If your a fan of space marines and paying an eye and a testicle on top of the arm and a leg you pay at GW you might also consider looking into the Horus Heresy (HH, 30k), its like 40k but entirely focused on humanities ancient civil war, the Horus Heresy general has links to download those books if you want to read up and 1d4chan has tactics pages for all the armies

I think the better question would be what type of army do you want to run/what races are you interested in playing?