I need some advice Veeky Forums

I need some advice Veeky Forums.

Our characters just hit 9th level in our D&D campaign, when suddenly we just happen to find a wing of wishing with a single wish remaining on it on a random nameless enemy. Thorough analysis shows that the ring isn't cursed, but our DM has spent quite a bit of the campaign throwing cursed items at us, and he has vowed to find a magic item my character will fall for. It's likely that anything I wish for will be interpreted in the least favorable way possible.

What should I do with this wish?

tl;dr
>curse-happy DM gives suspicious Wish ring to low-level party
>wat do?

Sell the ring to someone willing to pay alot of money for a wish. Use said money to buy whatever you were going to wish for anyway.

This isn't the right question to be asking. The right question to be asking is "what were this nameless enemy's first two wishes?"

as a player from a campaign run by a curse-happy DM, just accept that the curse is going to happen and theres jack fuck you can do about it. Its probably part muh plotz. I wouldn't trust the check unless its a crit.

ya basically. a lot of his notes probably hinge on you making the wish anyway

Wish for more wishes.

This man speaks truth and wisdom

Wish for taste buds in your companions' assholes.

Chaotic evil, the post?

>"I wish to know the prior owner's first and second wish"

Uh, the world's tastiest BLT and some Cracker Jacks.

Throw it away.

Make him show his hand by having it follow your character then jump on your finger. When it does, retire the character.

If he won't let you, leave. Tell him that this was caused by antagonistic dming and start your own group.

"I wish that this wish would have no effect."

I consider myself an expert on the subject of wish granting.
The rules are that the more prideful and selfish the wish, the more it backfires.
Always grant the wish, never deny the thing wished for, but add more consequences the greedier they get.
Wish for an enchanted sword better than the one you have, you get your sword+1.
Wish for an artifact level enchanted sword and you now are holding the epic sword of a power hero of legend, in his tomb, buried several dozen feet underground with no magic way out.
Wish for the greatest sword there is and it will be stolen from the incredibly powerful entity that possesses it with a clear trail that leads to you, the one who magically stole their property.

I also add more consequences if they take longer than a minute to answer the genie, which is not applicable with items.

Now as for OP:
>DM has spent quite a bit of the campaign throwing cursed items at us, and he has vowed to find a magic item my character will fall for. It's likely that anything I wish for will be interpreted in the least favorable way possible.
Meta-gaming curse happy GM?
Listen to Nothing good can come from this.
Players shouldn't "fall for" items at all.
If a player takes the appropriate cautionary actions, it's just GM faggotry after that.
I suggest talking to him about his antagonism then finding a better GM if he continues.

Stage this w/ your group. Have a big debate about it, throwing out lots of ideas but none you really agree on. So then put off the question until next adventure. Then let the DM forget it. Put it in your pack.

The write the following, print it, and put it in a sealed envelope. "Every morning I take this ring as a little 'chaser' after my morning prune juice." Then when you're stripped naked and locked in a dungeon, pull out the envelope and give it to the DM to open.

The way I felt with fucking over the party with wishes was I gave them a really old genie who was hard of hearing.
He also couldn't see well so writing wasn't a solution.
It could fuck over the party but I never tried to. Using this even with each character getting 3 wishes it never broke the game

>I gave them a really old genie who was hard of hearing.
>He also couldn't see well so writing wasn't a solution.
But this screws with them by not giving them what they asked for.
I don't cotton to that.

They're your taste buds.

>Hey, nice lighter. Why is it like a foot long.
>Yeah. Got it from a genie whose hard of hearing.
>Do you really think I wished for a 12-inch bic?

Just to play Devil's Advocate, I don't see a problem with falling for something like OP's example, IF and ONLY IF it leads to a better story. Obviously, the GM has something in mind with the ring, if it's the sort of thing that could lead to an interesting plot hook, the player should take it (Assuming it's in character to do so).

It was like the time when a friend's character signed my crew up for a courier contract that sounded like it paid pretty high, and only after reading the fine print did I realize it took us through a sprawling city of thieves, lawless regions, the package carried stolen equipment from a Lord (Which we later found was not actually a lord at all, but an extra dimensional creature and the package's stolen stuff was actually a part of his body he could sense us through), and it had a huge collateral to put down for it (My wife). We proceeded to go on the most intense adventure we'd had to date, and all for a tiny sum of gold.

Well, in OP's example, it's pretty clear that the GM wants every player to "fall for" one of his curses.
This could theoretically lead to a plot hook, but OP definitely made it sound like the GM just wanted to get his curse on.

But generally agree.
Yes, if the GM throws a plot hook wish/curse, generally one should jump on the hook to see where it goes, as long as they stay in character.

Wait until the party is in dire need of assistance. Then wish for, and I quote, "I wish for the power to save my friends".

Wish for something gamey, like one experience level.

I did have one guy who eventually figured out a way to get around the system semi-constantly
He would intentionally mis speak, like say " start a wire!" If he needed fire
I like it because it adds an extra layer of thinking to the genie

> I wish every wish previously wished to be revoked

>"So... you remember that old myth about how this reality was wished into existence by the first god? Turns out that one's true. Whoops."

Looks like Wheatley.