Which video game would you most want to see turned into a tabletop P&P RPG? Why?

Which video game would you most want to see turned into a tabletop P&P RPG? Why?

DOOM

Probably a good Dark Souls one.

Legacy of Kain.

Is there a Borderlands RPG? I think a wacky western could be interesting.

Somehow talking about over the top violence and playing it out with rules is far less enticing than visually watching the cathartic spectacle of beating a demon to death with its own arm. But that's just me.

Could probably use Deadlands Weird West for that, just add a billion randomized weapons.

Angry Birds
Minecraft
Hearthstone
LoL

I've always wanted to play a Borderlands RPG. I think it would work pretty well, especially seeing as the game is already intended to be played in groups of four.

There'd need to be enormous dice rolling tables for weapons, and I'm not sure about how the classes would work, but I think it has a lot of potential.

>crit fail on your rip and tear roll
>the severed arm you're using to beat the demon to death is actually yours

Lucky for me, even crit fails on the rip n' tear roll still give health back so I could still get a brand new arm out of this. Not my arm, but someones arm.

If the tabletop has shitty forced bosses, I'm not playing.

WHO'S MAN AND AN ARM!!! BERSERKER PACKING MAN AND AN ARM!!

>All loot is leveled and random
>Roll once for prefix, once for weapon type, once for suffix
>One roll in fifty gives you a combination that isn't retarded

I would play this.

Talk to your DM about that.

Anyway, AVA when?

Pac Man

I'd be interested to see Infamous as a setting/game. I'm sure there's a superpower system out there that could be used to simulate it well enough, but... there's just something enticing about the idea of it having its own system.

I'm sure you could adapt it to a current system, but I'm new to all this and can't think of one, Alien: Isolation

No colonial marines mowing down dozens of aliens, more survival

Arcanum

Use Dread. You're good to go for a pants shitting good time.

Just use Iron Kingdoms RPG.

You'd also need rolls for all the individual weapon parts. That's where the real nitty gritty comes from.

City of Heroes.

One can probably make an existing CoH tabletop RPG out of an existing system, but I want to play the game again in some form.

I've wanted this ever since the Tiny Tina DLC.
I wish gearbox would make an entire game about a high fantasy first person shooter with tabletop mechanics.

Dishonored would be fucking fun.

Elite Beat Agents

Choose what distress signals to respond to
Level up your proficiency in musical styles
Roll checks on your moves

Suikoden

Those Runes, that world, god damn I want it so bad.

I wish they hadn't wasted that DLC idea on such an irritating character.

Borderlands 2 had so much good mixed in with so much bad.

It would be pretty rough finding 108 people to play with you, let alone a large enough table.

Speaking of which, any tabletop RPGs that have static party formation, like front row & back row, instead of free roaming?

6 at a time, bro

>Anarchy Online
>X-Com: Apocalypse
I imagine DH is pretty good foundation for these.

>X-Com: Apocalypse
Oh yes.

Or any XCom really.

You could say that about the entire fucking series. The writers seem to come from the "memes+SJ+just-pretending-to-be-retarded characters=GOTY awards" camp, which is unfortunately where the comedic side of gaming seems to be going.

I actually went through BL2's weapon system, and the process seemed relatively simple. At its most basic, it's Brand+Barrel+Prefix (optional)=Gun. Adding in rarities and levels adds more variance, but only numerically.

The weapon gen system would require 1 table for each type, with one axis representing the brand/chassis/whatever, and another representing the barrel. I could go in to this more, but I won't. But I could.

I'd personally like a Command and Conquer wargame or three.

There's also stock, grip, sight, and attachment (x2 at purple rarity). Also elemental effect.

If I remember correctly, attachments and elements are at least partly covered by prefixes. Maybe I'll look it up again later.

I thought barrels were covered by prefixes? Or is that names?

Names. For example, a Peacemaker is a Dahl pistol with a Jakobs barrel. Prefixes are .

>any X-Com
Any except the firaxis ones, and X-Com: interceptor, and alliance.

Apocalypse is best suited if you want more rpg elements in, especially with politics and diplomacy, terror from the deep for obviously underwater terror shit, and the original one for just hack n slash runs.

You oughta play Tales from the Borderlands. It's probably the only fucking Borderlands game that I would qualify is genuinely good, aside from maybe the first. It's a great example of how good Pandora can be, so long as it isn't in the hands of Anthony 'King Kuk' Birch and the rest of the human filth that is Gearbox. It's fucking embarrassing when it takes another studio to turn your Teehee Dank Meme characters like Jack and turn them into fun and confusingly heart-wrenching tragic heroes.

Total War: Warhammer

The Firaxis ones don't really need to be made into their own tabletops, since Only War is similar enough as a starting point.

Old X-com would be more suited for a wargame.

GORTYS WAS SHIT AND WILL ALWAYS BE SHIT

Assuming you mean with army-scale combat still something the players get involved in at the commander's level, you could probably hack out a decent game from the ASOIAF RPG.

Or just use Fantasy 2e RPG like anybody else.

Shadowhearts

Still miles above a Claptrap. And the robotmance between Gortys and LoaderBot was amusing.

No, making a joke about the fact that when Total Warhammer launched, it was set in a dead universe and recreating the battles of a dead game.

>wargame
maybe, but I also suspect this is bait and you are a firaxis fanboy.

Oh wow, a reply that I'd actually pay to see.

There's a PtbA game that's not absolute garbage. Loot gen could use some srs work, iirc. The old 2e Diablo port should have a number of tables you could lift.

I have played it, but I'm still not convinced. Jack ends up being a shit like everyone could tell from the very beginning, Gortys is even more obnoxiously friendly than Claptrap yet much more plot-important (and therefore harder to ignore), Athena and Janey are are 2/u/4u, etc. At least the setting's more cancerous characters are ignored or bumped off. Here's hoping 3 starts off from a relatively blank slate.

Borderlands' gameplay is potentially usable for a combat-heavy skirmish game, but the fluff needs serious rebooting if you don't want to get bogged down in metaplot.

If it were me making a Borderlands tabletop I would completely remove slag weapons.
Because everyone should have one and it would discourage variety.

Eh, I think the world of Pandora and most of the metaplot is acceptable. It's only the characters and small scale plots that are the problem.

Skirmish wargame is probably the best format for using 24 soldiers, including tanks. Might have trouble with height level during TFTD missions, though.

Fairly obscure little game for the Gamecube, called Lost Kingdoms, and it's sequel Lost Kingdoms II. It was basically the platonic ideal of the card-em-up. You collected cards, you build a deck, and then you went through the areas of the game throwing cards to summon monsters to fight other monsters, be it summoning them for a brief instant to make a single attack, calling them up as minions, or transforming into them to fuck shit up mano a mano. The cards gained experience and evolved into other cards, and the game had a fairly significant list of them.

One of my favourite games of all time, and it never received the popularity it deserved. I always thought the format would make a good TTRPG, and it's been an off-and-on project of mine for years to make it happen.

I liked the story of 1.
The only problem with it was that there was so little of it in the game.
The actual world building, dark comedy and dry humour was great though.

Then they finally made the story more substantial in 2 but Burch ruined it.

If you gave the universe of Borderlands to a capable writer it could honestly be god tier.
I'm still pissed they completely fucked up Mordecai and Bloodwing
Krieg is great.

>Lost Kingdoms
While I see the appeal, I believe that the game's story relied heavily on the "Chosen One" thing where there were only a handful of people in the world who could actually use cards. That would be less than conducive to a tabletop RPG.

Give me 1's setting and 2/Pre-Sequel's mechanics and I'd call it good.

Absolutely.
Tiny Tina's DLC is still fantastic though, despite some cringy bits of dialogue.
The whole game being Tina's way of escapism to deal with Roland's death was actually kind of touching, even if I hate her.

Borderlands.

Best part of the game.
Might be biased because of my D&D habit though

Front Mission

Because robots

I've ALWAYS wanted to DM a Harry Potter campaign but I'm too fucking stupid to homebrew in all the spells and potions and other things.

kek

you fucker

What will we do with a drunken whaler

Early in the morn

Have a look at Blades in the Dark.
It is pretty much exactly Dishonoured: The RPG, and it works really well.

half-life because I always wanted to do a HL2 game where players were the combine

i feel like i'm in the minority when i don't get triggered by meme humor since i see it as if you're going to complain about it on a site like Veeky Forums you probably shouldn't do it yourself otherwise it feels like the pot calling the kettle black

Meme humor isn't the problem, and I laughed at at least a couple moments in the game.

The problem is badly written characters and crowbarred in political messages.

>crowbarred in political messages

i must have either missed them or didn't get far enough into 2 & presequel to get them but what were the political messages in the borderlands series?

X-Com: Apocalypse would be perfect for a modification on Dark Heresy rules.

I think there was an user working on one.

It's mainly in the DLCs, but there's just a shitload of heavy handed references to modern social issues like women in video games and nerd culture in general.

It was that way until Kendaria worked out how to mass produce runestones by harvesting power from a shackled god, at which point like every single captain+ rank in their military had his own deck to use.

Until then, only royal family members and ancient sages had them, which was the reason they could use cards. Regular joe gets a runestone, he can start slinging monsters around all he likes, no destiny or fate about it.

Honestly, wouldn't be that hard with GURPS.

You've got the martial combat and Mass Combat sorted, and Runes are pretty easy to represent as Advantage packages or even as limited forms of custom Path Magic.

The constant dying could get a bit frustrating, much like the actual games.
I prefer Bloodborne's fluff

Wouldn't both be a problem mechanically?
You wouldn't have much stake in the world if you could constantly respawn.
Only way I could see it work is if they incorporated hollowing.

>With each death you gain one point of hollowing
>You gain one point of hollowing for worthy deaths like dying to a boss after inflicting decent damage
>you gain two or more hollowing points (at the DM's discretion) if you die in an emotionally crushing/pitiful fashion because it breaks your spirits more. Like falling to your death accidentally or being slain by a common grunt
>You lose hollowing points and regain humanity by performing something impressive that lifts your spirits or finding something in the world that makes you happy or makes you feel like you're serving a purpose. Like saving an NPC or learning a powerful spell as a sorcerer.

REIGN has a not-Potter setting that looks solid. You can get its fluff for free. It's in the 2nd or 3rd year of our reign sourcebook

I feel ya. Somewhat related, I think Tabula Rasa would make a great boardgame/RPG.

Speaking of turning games into P&P RPGs, would anyone happen to have a copy of the Warcraft 3.5 2nd Edition they'd be willing to share? The site we were using died, and we can't access it