What is your favorite obscure bit of lore hidden away in the 40k mythos?

What is your favorite obscure bit of lore hidden away in the 40k mythos?

I like everything related to the hrud and their patchy relationship to time and how they sometimes act as if the imperium has been non-existent for several millenia.

What's the best only implied or otherwise esoteric bit of world building in the setting?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lxvN8CcouyQ
wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Pale_Wasting
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The implication that Malcador the Sigilite belonged to/founded/ran the Illuminati, which might be related to his =][= sigil

The tiny sliver of the Emperors armor inbedded in the Crux Terminatus, AKA Terminator Honors of every single Space Marine Chapter.

Always thought the Omega Vault was cool

The Pale Wasting has always interested me. The possibility of an invasion of non Chaos eldritch abominations so utterly alien and terrible that it was completely wiped from history, even after it ravished an entire sector and destroyed 2 chapters of marines.

Not exactly obscure, but the whole "Blood ravens are actually loyal Thousand Sons" Could honestly change some shit on the setting

Of course they're loyalist sons. They clearly got their Custodes armor off the dead when the Corvidae Cult went back to Prospero

The one thing 40k needs more of is "one off" eldrich horror. Weird events that /aren't/ obviously chaos or C'tan or anything we're well familiar with, but are nonetheless ancient and numinous and existentially threatening. The only things that really fill that are the Pale Wasting and the Tyrant Star.

I know right? I kind of wish the chapters with unknown foundings would play a bigger role in the story as a whole. I mean, they already showed us that Bjorn is fighting demons when he's not actively awake so why can't other weird shit about the different chapters come into play?

The initial split in the protoinquisition right after the horus heresy, where some wanted to try and revive the emperor, and some wanted to keep him on the golden throne for stability.

The whole thing about this is that, either the Imperium goes into civil war 2 electric boogaloo or those other chapters simply go rogue

Also not super obscure, but the Exorcists basically being Grey Knights successors, but being EVEN MORE hardcore, EVEN MORE incorruptible, and EVEN MORE anti-daemon, despite having none of the Inquisitions backing or psychic powers.

I thought they were Grey Knight predecessors. Like the prototypes.

Also, the whole Sons of Malal/Malice thing, whatever the fuck happened to then ?

What about The Hadex Anomaly?

Nah, other way around mate.

I have no idea, but they're legitimately the only chaos warband that I like.

A short story said they are of the Grey Knight's unique gene-seed. They're a successor

>I mean, they already showed us that Bjorn is fighting demons when he's not actively awake

What?

From the curse of the Wulfen book

The wulfin book had a scene that shows that Bjorn, like the Emperor, wages psychic war on the daemons of the warp to prevent them frrom breaking into real space.

Like most new fluff for the past 8 years I pretend it never happened

That's an interesting one, but it still falls within the category of a warp storm, even if it is unique in it's manifestation. Although you would be hard pressed to find a warp storm much spookier than that.

>bjorn has midichlorians

lol

I thought the hadex anomaly wasn't a warp storm?

The minor chaos gods, there were some old lore bits about how the raptors worshiped a good of speed or some shit and that thing was simply forgotten

Hm. Might be older fluff. Whatever.

Grey Knights came first with the anti-daemon wards and Aegis armour.

Then the Exorcists said "None of that pussy shit for US, thank you", donned standard Power Armour, and instead got daemons to fucking possess them, and then forced them out through sheer force of willpower. This ended up with them never being able to be possessed again and essentially making them unassailable by daemons - at least psychically.

The Fifth Captain, I think, took it a step further and had hexagrammic wards inscribed on his fucking bones so just being near him hurts daemons.

>The Fifth Captain, I think, took it a step further and had hexagrammic wards inscribed on his fucking bones so just being near him hurts daemons
Going by the Grey Knight novels, their geneseed is supposed to do that as well

Plus their named character, Silas Alberec, is approx. Primarch-sized.

He's to a Space Marine as an Ogryn is to a Guardsman.

He also does ridiculous damage to Daemons and still doesn't have his own model. Sadly.

Where are his stats?

That's the guy I was talking about.

He wields a fucking morningstar. Not a POWER morningstar, just a normal one that acts like a fucking power weapon.

Necrons. It was Necrons. The Ghoul Stars is heavily populated with Necron Tomb Worlds. The Pale Wasting is about "Star-spawned plague" and "Nightmare engines" slaughtering the populations of whole sectors".

Also the most convincing evidence is the Death Spectres who after the Pale Wasting took the duty of standing watch over the Ghoul Stars to protect the rest of the galaxy.

In the marine codex it was said the Death Spectres are protecting the galaxy from the "Undead" threat of the Ghoul Stars. Turns out in a short story named "Flayed" that these undead are the Necrons.

You guys cannot read the writing in the wall for shiz.

See for yourself, sorry for the poor quality pic though.

Aye, and the Storm Wardens wield Astartes sized Claymores. Not power Claymores, just normal slabs of metal. One of the reasoms why both of them are my favorite chapters. Because they're awesome.

You could just give the man PTSD, not make it actual fucking demons.

Do Marines outside of the Blood Angels even get PTSD?

Just terminator captains. So 1,000 shards rather than 100,000.

Yeah that dude. Oh, it IS a power morningstar. My bad. I guess he's only fucking Strength 8 with it deactivated rather than 10.

Oh, and Third Captain, not Fifth. Whoops.

>Angel Exterminatus novel
>Flashback to a guys past life in the Battle of Verdun
>Vicious hand to hand fighting in trenches
>German soldier mumbles "blood for the blood god" in the heat of battle.

Khorne influencing WW1 always amused me

as dumb as perpetuals are lore-wise, that's pretty awesome

"BLUDT FÜR DER BLUDT GOTT!"
>Spade to the face

Amen brother.
Hrrmph. Are these Newcrons or Oldcrons? If they're a terrifying legion of unstoppable killing machines serving an implacable Lovecraftian Star God I'm down, but if they're the servants of a charming old geezer who just likes collecting things I'm less into it.

i am honest fucking surprised that we don't see the influence of the chaos gods on the past in the Lore

Newcrons, but also probably the former anyway.

How are Oldcron style Newcrons doing in the fluff these days? (There's got to be a better shorthand for Necrons from present fluff who *feel* like old fluff Necrons.)
Last I checked GW was hitting the whole "wacky space Tomb Kings" thing pretty hard, but I'm not really up to date.

They exist, sort of. There's one dynasty ruled by a preserver AI that wants to wipe out everything, and loyalist dynasties are secretly out there as well

Eh, 7th made it more clear that both still exist in the galaxy. There are Necrons who have lost almost all of their emotion/sentience, Necrons who still worship/ are powered by large C'tan shards, even Necrons were everyone from the lowest warrior has all their sentience.

Obviously all the named characters are from the more human bunch, but that seems like a given to me. There are a few less so though, like the Maynarkh dynasty. Every single one of them is infected with the Flayer virus, so it's leaders have basically just decided to wipe out all life in the galaxy because it's the only thing they're good for now. They have a "female" phaeron too.

The C'tan are also a lot less contained, and still incredibly powerful. One shard of the Void Dragon destroyed a dozen world's single handedly before being shoved back into a vault by an entire Dynasty.

>There's one dynasty ruled by a preserver AI that wants to wipe out everything,

Oldcrons don't exist in any capacity.

And that AI doesn't rule over a dynasty. It rules over a few Tomb Worlds and alien planets. It doesn't want to wipe out anything. It wants to conquer and enslave all forms of life in the galaxy and impose silent order. The living that it enslaves are mindschakled to its will.

Currently, they are Newcrons.

Well, I'm less pissed at Newcrons than I was a while back I guess. Thanks for educating me user. I still would broadly prefer more rampant C'tan as a rising/inevitable threat, but this sounds like an ok balance.

This Newcron apologetics is hilarious. The obvious and disgusting lies.

>Necrons who still worship/ are powered by large C'tan shards

That's a lie. There is zero mention of Necrons serving the C'tan.

> even Necrons were everyone from the lowest warrior has all their sentience

Rumored only and confined to one dynasty.

>There are Necrons who have lost almost all of their emotion/sentience

They are programmed by the tomb computers to mimic dynastic behaviour.

>There are a few less so though, like the Maynarkh dynasty. Every single one of them is infected with the Flayer virus, so it's leaders have basically just decided to wipe out all life in the galaxy because it's the only thing they're good for now. They have a "female" phaeron too.

The Maynarkh dynasty are not less "human" than their counterparts. They are infact more emotional and savage than their peers even before they were infected. The only stoic figure in their ranks is their Nemesor.

>so it's leaders have basically just decided to wipe out all life in the galaxy

A flimsy justification for the fact that they require tons of flesh and bloodshed to satiate their hunger

>The C'tan are also a lot less contained

One escaped shard does not make them less contained. The C'tan are still an irrelevance in Newcron lore

The other two anons were taking shit.

You should be still pissed.

Regardless, your original point remains. What's the fucking point of a power field when you clobber someone across the dome with a 600 lb block of space steel? It's redundant, at best.

It's for when you want to clobber someone across the dome when they're behind a slab of armor.

Ironically, most of what he fights are probably demons and so don't wear armor.

Daemons sometimes wear hellforged armor, especially Bloodthirsters and daemonic heralds.

Daemon Princes, mang. You really think they'd send a guy the size of a Primarch against anything that isn't as equally big and scary?

I like stuff about Halo stars.
Proper spooky.
Especially shit like the halo artifacts.

I'd really like the Rak'gol to be expanded upon. I'd love to see what passes for a Rak'gol tank, or walker.

>BLUT FÜR DAS BLUT GOTT!

>The C'tan are still an irrelevance in Newcron lore
Good.
The c'tan were shite.

The Ordo Chronos and the fact that they might've accidentally erased themselves from existence while investigating time anomalies in the warp.

I always liked the Ordo Astra

it sounds like they have a lot of fun exploring the galaxy and keeping the maps up to date

My favourite is probably the subtle pun/dig in the name of Geller Fields. Just like Uri Geller, they ensure nothing supernatural happens in their area.

>Ordo Chronos
Who?

I'd love a more streamlined aesthetic for them. The jagged and ramshackle look is overused in 40k.

I'm a fan of the Umbra myself.

I think the fucked up look works for them. It's also a little different compared to orks or chaos. I always imagined their stuff being crude and roughly made, but also utilitarian and almost industrial looking.

I'd also like their relationship to technology expanded upon, with Rak'gol that have replaced most of their bodies with cybernetics or embedded themselves in technology.

>shard of the void dragon
where did you see this?
I'm almost positive he's unshattered and resting below mars

>or embedded themselves in technology.
Why does this remind me of the Strogg? Also, if we ever make a Rak'gol codex, then ALL of their vehicles should count as either monstrous or gargantuan creatures.

Crude and roughly made kinda goes against utilitarian and industrial. A very streamlined and minimalist look would make them pop against the other factions

Because the Rak'gol have that same sort of biomechanical body horror of crude augmentations inelegantly imbedded in tortured flesh.

The 7th ED codex.

Matt Ward even said that the Void Dragon was sharded in the WD that introduced the Necrons. Who you so slowpoke?

Maybe it's a mix of both? While the original weapon or piece of tech may have been streamlined at some point, it has had modifications and attachments added over the course of its ownership, so it looks nothing like the original weapon on the outside.

That would be why then.

BLUT FÜR DEN BLUT GOTT, SCHÄDEL FÜR DEN SCHÄDELTHRON, MILCH FÜR DIE KHORNEFLAKES

fucking americans, german isn't that hard

Against which? The streamlined and minimalist Eldar, or the streamlined and minimalist Necrons, or the streamlined and minimalist Tau?

I'm pretty fond of that look as is. Streamlined-industrial. Very clearly technic, kind of janky/primitive looking, and a dash of alien to it.

I also think the rak'gol are cool, but mainly because they were written A, by FFG, and B, not as a full codex. I think a lot of the cool factor would be taken away if we got a codex worth of information on them and army models and whatnot.

Speaking of vehicles...
youtube.com/watch?v=lxvN8CcouyQ

Just replace the AI pods with Embedded Rak'gol and you should be good.

>I think a lot of the cool factor would be taken away if we got a codex worth of information on them and army models and whatnot.
True dat.

Neither the Eldar nor the Necrons are streamlined or minimalist and, while minimalist, the Tau switch between curved and square too much to be streamlined.

The German dub for Chaos Space Marines from the first Dawn of War is so much better than the English version, and the English version is great

yeah. German chaos berserkers really are soulless monstrosities instead of being just good VAs

The Harrowing. A thing so terrifying Imperium had to use weapons they have not even used during Horus Heresy or any of the Black Crusades,
Pic related

>wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Pale_Wasting
>Eleven other Space Marine Chapters were destroyed in the war against the ancient threat

Whatever this was,it was Black Crusade tier

Ehh, Dark Eldar already have that going for them.

>The Harrowing

First of all
>FFG

Secondly, there is zero proof that it happened from the picture you keep posting.

Thirdly, it's a stupid plot hook. A GM can have it be anything. For example, If I said it was time travelling Tau drones from the from the future, then it will be perfectly valid.

Seriously this has to be the most overwanked because of literal NOTHING in the whole fandom of 40K.

>Whatever this was

Necrons. How many times do I have to say it?

overwanked piece of literal NOTHING*

The Ordo Chronos. Time isn't as explored in the 40k universe as other aspects of the warp are, and its relative lack of exposition in the fluff besides the occasional lost ship or warp anomaly make it really interesting to explore - it's something that remains mysterious, especially in its relation to the Hadex, Hrud, etc etc.

Also, the sheer incomprehensibility of a lot of Xenos life and culture to humans is a great theme, especially in the mysterious outer fringes of the Warhammer universe. The first Eisenhorn book did this but explained it was due to warpy shit, but I really like the ideas put forth by authors such as Lem which argue that a lot of alien "life" (like the planet in Solaris) is completely incomprehensible to humans at our present level of understanding. There could be an interesting way to combine time and xenos incomprehensibility, but I'm afraid it'd give my Dark Heresy players headaches and make them conspire to murder me more so than they do already.

A quick bunch of six sessions or so playing as Ordo Chronos agents could be fun, if just to play around with time mechanics and eveneventually crash-land in M-400000000 or M100.

I also agree with this, and have been incorporating more Weird Alien Shit (for lack of a better term): ruins that change form silently when no-one is looking at them while retaining their coating of dust and vines, archaeoxenotech weapons that serve to implant random ideas into people and make them extraordinarily passionate about them to the point of giving up everything else in life, temples built by extinct races to dead gods that may or may not hold a little of the gods' residual power in their sacred objects, et cetera

Basically, I think 40k could do to emphasize how bizarre and unexplanable the universe can be, especially in the halo stars and the vast swaths of space untouched by warp routes until recently.

I like how the custodes are supposedly fighting an endless battle against from the warp excursion caused by the failing golden throne, right under the Imperial Palace.

Pretty sure, the breach was sealed.

Inquisitors dedicated to investigating time distortion fuckery.

Inquisitor Doctorus Who

>The Doctor actually knew Emps when he was young man
I can see this being a thing.

>Necrons. How many times do I have to say it?

Necrons can now open portals to another dimensions?
Sure thing m8

You illiterate moron. This was meant for the Pale Wasting

In this response to

"Whatever this was,it was Black Crusade tier"

>Necrons can now open portals to another dimensions?

Yes, they can. Have you opened any Newcron codex lately? Fucking illiterate wankers. I am surrounded by them.

What's the deal with the Ouroboros.

How is it connected to Cypher.

You sound like you just alt tabbed from /v/

in fairness the Harrowing is vague enough it could have been Chaos or Necrons
besides, Necrons can teleport n shit, some illeterate ass Imperial somewhere would see that and go SURELY THEY TRAVEL BETWEEN DIMENSIONS

Well, the Doctor did have a small cameo in 40k back in the days of Rogue Trader

That's a nice picture, OP.

I am just mad.

How could you have missed all the Necron dimensional shifting abilities? For fucks sake, one of monolith abilities is to suck units into another universe, the C'tan have 3 or four abilities that result in folks being thrown in alternative universes/dimensions, and the Necrons Deathmark regularly make use of dimensions to hunt their prey. That and more besides.

What's wrong with you?!

>in fairness the Harrowing is vague enough it could have been Chaos or Necrons

Or it might not happened at all. Since when do we take the tinfoil hatery of heretics as solid facts? And why do we wank them?

And if did happen, then the most likely culprit is the massive Necron presence chilling in the Halo Stars.

>some illeterate ass Imperial somewhere would see that and go SURELY THEY TRAVEL BETWEEN DIMENSIONS
At which point said citizen would be BLAMMED by an Arbites.

Ordo Sepulturum
Grimdark CDC on steroids for whom a zombie apocalype is just another day on the office. Obliterator cults,plague of the unbelievers, tyrannid brain leaches...I want to know if they have a chamber militant, if they prefer stormtroopers for search and exfiltratrion operations or sisters for fire purging...