"I'd like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to the...

>"I'd like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price. I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?"
Who is the true hero of Babylon 5 and why is it Vir?

wrong board, OP

Mr Mordan gave everyone exactly what they wanted. He was nice like that.

The beautiful thing about B5 is that you can watch the entire series focusing on only one character, and the series seems to be all about them. And you can do this for almost every named character on the show. The world was amazingly well fleshed out. It should be a prime example for all GMs of how worldbuilding and DMing should be done. It's a wonderfully robust setting that begs to have stories told in it.

So what did Babylon 5 do right when it came to worldbuilding?

A robust world.

Major activities happening away from the 'players' and 'main characters' which involve them (assassinations, political movements of foreign empires, etc)

interconnected personal stories that provide equal character development for all the characters simultaneously.

He didn't tell Sheridan what he wanted to hear.

You fucked up OP.

You're supposed to post Mr Morden asking "What do you want?" and then wait for someone to reply with what Vir wants.

>So what did Babylon 5 do right when it came to worldbuilding?

I handled plotting, scheming, and shifiting alliances very well.

It gave you good motivations for eveything the characters did, and then showed you the far-reaching consequences of those actions.

It had the various governments of the setting working towards their own goals, even if those often conflicted with the goals of characters supposedly from the same faction.

It handled time-travel, pre-destination, and "prophecy" really well.

It also had several season-long or series-long mysteries that deeply impacted the storyline.

This reminds me I haven't seen the MISTER GARIBALDI pasta in forever..I guess it's because most of the people who post on Veeky Forums now don't even know what Bab5 is, much less have seen it and have committed to memory that beautiful Centauri voice.

THE CORPS IS MOTHER THE CORPS IS FATHER

Because prehensile sexual organs can't be wrong.

The Rangers were the worst part of the show.

Agreed.

Out of everything, they felt the most Tolkienian and did not fit in with the rest of the setting.

They felt very forced. I wouldn't have objected nearly as much to a cross-species intelligence agency working on the fringes of known space if they hadn't clearly been ripped from Tolkein work.

One of the best lines in the whole show. Thanks for reminding me.
I liked how any of the characters could be replaced. They all had things to add to the plot but could be written out as needed.

Is this actually a good show or are people just memeing it up, like they did to fool me into thinking that BSG would be a good show.

It's a good show but the first season is pretty shit as they were finding their grrove, so can be hard to get into.

It is actually a good show. The first season is a bit ..okay... a lot rough. The CGI, while for the time was groundbreaking, is pretty laughable now. But the characters are great and change over the course of the show. In addition the story is not episodic and there are occasional scenes that seem to be 'throw away scenes' That come back months or even years later that make you go "bwaaaaa" Some of the payoff is a long time in coming. But once it comes to fruition it's pretty great.

Really the greatest strength of the show was that JMS had the entire story planned out before he began filming. and had was to write out characters in a plausible way that didn't involve tar monsters and ignominious death liek Tasha from TNG

I liked Tasha's death. People with dangerous jobs should die every now and then. The o lay problem is how they kept looking for excuses to bring her back.

It's good, season 1 has some weak episodes, but it's got a solid overarching story and fun characters.
Pluses:
>everything with Londo and G'Kar together
>Vir

Minuses:
>dated CG
>some awkward episodes

I immediately read that in his voice.

Thanks lads.

>watching B5 on DVD
>get to Chrysalis
holy shit the plot just went into overdrive

>"Nothing's the same anymore."
That pretty much sums up this episode.

Fuck me. Now I'm reading everything in Londo's voice.

Sit back and let it grow on you. Until halfway through the 1st season, you'll be wondering how something this cringey got written.

By the end of it, You'll be weighing the next 4 seasons against a healthy sleeping schedule. I know you'll make the right choice.

When the fuck is Netflix or Hulu or someone going to have this series streaming?

We never got a Blu ray release when people actually bought blu rays.

I'm also really really surprised this series has never gotten picked up for a remake/reboot etc. that all the studios have been buying left in right. NOT that I actually want a hollywood reboot movie or anything like that...but I would have thought they would have tried it with something like B5 over trying to force movies out of shit like Tetris or Angry Birds you know.

Also Earth Civil War >> Shadow Wars

Too much effort? B5 isn't that well known.

>I'm also really really surprised this series has never gotten picked up for a remake/reboot etc
Not going to happen. Strazinski maintains the rights to them, one of the reasons the networks wouldn't renew his contracts. The creator won't let anyone crap all over it.

It had its time and has passed. We'll have to learn to be happy with that.

Not letting people shit on your IP is cool, but I really need someone to feed Babylon 5 through HBO.

I hear the expanse is kinda like B5

No it isn't, at all.

It's pretty cool, but it's not like Babylon 5.

>some awkward episodes

"Grey 17 is Missing"

What's sad is that G17iM actually has a great B-plot, but the A-plot is just so, so, so, SO stupid...

Thank God. I don't even want to know how Hollywood would fuck up more B5 content.

It's one of the few great shows it's hard to get upset about being over, because the ending is so perfect.

The bit where puts Delenn puts out her hand, but Sheridan doesn't look back. Fuck.

I wept from start to finish the first time I saw it. Destroyed me.

It's a really awkward one for home media, because it was filmed in 16:9 and cropped to 4:3 for airing (as they knew 16:9 TVs were on the way), but rather than produce the effects at 16:9 and then crop the screen, they cropped THEN added digital effects, which means any scene with any CGI in it only exists in 4:3.

It looks like shit even on DVD, so would never have seen blu-ray release anyway.

It was supposed to have one final season to wrap up the story, but the networks wanted to fight JMS over it. Supid contract BS. So they cancelled the final season. He managed to finish it off with a spinoff series and two made-for-TV-movies, but it wasn't *quite* perfect. Still better than most Sci-Fi shows get, though.

Blu-Ray and HD have a tendency to butcher any video not specifically made for their formats anyway, so it's hardly surprising.

>Pluses:
>>everything with Londo and G'Kar together
Londo and G'Kar were pretty great in general, together and individually. So were the other characters, but something about those two just worked for me.

Interesting I could swear I read at the time that the show was shot in 4:3 apart for the opening credits which were in wide screen to make them seem "epic".
Could it be SFX lied to me or am I suffering from a false memory?

They were like two halves of that rat bastard Cardassian from DS9.

Any streaming service doing this series yet? netflix, amazon?

I'd say G'kar but Vir is a close second.

I wish.