How do you get your players to relinquish the rights to the characters they create? For example...

How do you get your players to relinquish the rights to the characters they create? For example, I include language to that effect on a contact info sheet I force my players to fill out and sign.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ga-q0F7oWnU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Whatever for?

Goddamnit Mike, you promised that you wouldn't make us play Lawyers and Laymen again!

>How do you get your players to relinquish the rights to the characters they create?
Huh? What/why?/FGHahfgahfhafhahffah

To sell the idea to Hollywood so that they can transform it into a shitty cliche film

Imagine, if you will, one of your players pitching ideas to a movie studio. Imagine that he runs out of ideas and begins pitching stories taken straight from his D&D adventures. Imagine that the studio execs are excited by these stories and want to make a movie based on them. Imagine that you own the rights to all of the characters in these adventure stories.

Now do you understand?

So I can use them and make an anime out of it

This sounds like something only the cuntiest of cunts would attempt. Is that what you are OP, some sort of cunt?

You're an asshole.

You don't. A player's character belongs to them. If you should somehow land a book or movie deal based on your gaming adventures, the proceeds will have to be split fairly amongst the DM and players or you will have to buy them out.

Sounds like something a cuck would do.
>not splitting the rights and cash with your bros

I don't care if you're serious or not OP.

The thought of some deluded GM believing their next campaign will be so awesome that they will one day be able to pitch it to a Hollywood movie studio is absolutely hilarious to me.

You don't need to, because everything that occurs in the game belongs to the GM. Try learning a little about rights management.

Everything that occurs.
Not everything that exists

Intellectual property is a thing.

Everything?

...What the fuck?
I'm sure you're the only person who ever does that.Thinking that your campaign is great enough to get an adaptation is fairly deluded, and the chances of someone proposing it to anyone are extremely minimal.

I know OP is a troll but I want to know when this would ever be relevant or necessary

A contract that does not have consideration for both parties will fall apart in a court of law.

Unless your contract is more complex than what I imagine, you are currently asking for your players to give up their rights to their characters without anything back.

In order for it to hold up legally, you would need to offer some nominal value to do so.

What would you offer each player?

Under rated post.

Post your contract OP or this is fake

it's fake anyway I'm just curious

$20 bucks and the right to play as the small horse they've clearly based their characters on.

But only $10 bucks to the YellowQuiet player

If you were to suddenly make a movie with your players characters as the stars, would they be able to take you to court for that? Does just imagining a character, and writing it down on a character sheet give them legal ownership of that character? Wouldn't they have to like, copyright it or something?

I don't know anything about law.

>$20
Just give them a handy, save your wallet

>Thinking that your campaign is great enough to get an adaptation is fairly deluded, and the chances of someone proposing it to anyone are extremely minimal.

It's not that crazy. Actual role-playing sessions inspired the successful Dragon Lance book series, and my adventures are much better than those. It's not unrealistic to expect someone in Hollywood to notice.

>In order for it to hold up legally, you would need to offer some nominal value to do so.

As the game master, I coordinate our gatherings which I host in my apartment (thus the contact sheet).

Post your contract OP.

Also you're a moron

Also, aren't anime based on tabletop campaigns a fairly common thing in Japan?

>implying anyone wants nacho cheese dust on their dick

>If you were to suddenly make a movie with your players characters as the stars, would they be able to take you to court for that?

If they have enough money to hire expensive lawyers, yes.

>my adventures are much better than DragonLance

No, I guarantee you they're not.

But did you put that on your contracts?

It should work for a nominal exchange of services, however.

Good job!

>Actual role-playing sessions inspired the successful Dragon Lance book series, and my adventures are much better than those.
This might very well be the case. Show me/tg/ one of your adventures.

(You are just messing around in the end, aren't you?

I think this is the first time that a thread on Veeky Forums has made me a little upset, but I think that's just because it hits on something very personal and specific I'm still kind of salty about.

A few months after a years-long campaign ended our GM starting making a webcomic partially inspired by the setting, which is fine since the setting is her brainchild and I can get wanting to preserve a world you worked on for years, but she also ended up using my and another player's PCs from that game as characters in the comic which I've always had mixed feelings on. She never asked either of us permission for it, just dropped a "hey look I put your characters in my comic!" in the skype chat one day.

We still play games in a new campaign on the weekend so I don't want to start shit with her over it, but I still think it was a really shitty move. The comic is monetized and mildly successful (she gets a few hundred hits whenever she updates and she's applying to a webcomic group called "Hiveworks" this months that'll probably boost her comic a lot of it gets approved) and I don't want to start trouble over it but I kind of hate seeing a character I wrote and played as smiling at me from a patreon banner that I'm not getting any money from.

I was thinking of publishing some adventures in the setting I share with a group and putting them on sale. The issue is that these characters are pretty critical to the plot, so I'd basically have to cut the setting around them to publish. I don't want to ask them if I can use their characters for a paid project and then produce nothing, but the alternative would be making it all the way to the end and then having to stop if someone got pissed that I made this thing without asking first.
From someone who basically got jypped, how would you have me do this?
Cut them out of the path or pay you royalties or what? What if I just gave you this extra content for free, like everyone who participated in one of my campaigns gets a free PDF if their character is in it?

You realize it's not as if someone else is going to just let you describe the game and write it for you. You have to write it which is a possibly several year long intensive process.

Of course it doesn't matter, you're a troll so why do I care?

There is no legal case. Basing a character in a work off someone's PC is no different than writing a character based on the surly mailman you knew as a kid.

D&D games are not legally binding contracts and uf you're that buttgurt your GM writes a book ten years later featuring a paladin similar to one you played then the problem is on you.

A shout out would be nice but you're not entitled to anything.

From the little bit that you've said here, it doesn't sound as if your DM had any malicious intent in including your character and maybe even thought that you and your fellow player would get a kick out of seeing them in webcomic format. I can definitely understand your feelings on the situation and sympathize.

What role was your character playing in the comic? Major? Minor? Background?

>she
>made a webcomic

Please tell me it's Oglaf. Please.

>itt Communists

You didn't put any work into the webcomic, maintaining of the website, patreon or otherwise. You're not entitled to any money. Really this seems like highly entitled whining.

He is entitled to, at least, having his character credited to his name. Not much more tho.

Also,Gib link.

>He is entitled to, at least, having his character credited to his name. Not much more tho.
Not really. He may feel as if she should, but he is certainly not entitled to it. Really though, what does he want out of it? Money? The character to be removed? Creative input? A credit? If it is just a credit then maybe I would be sympathetic, but even then.

>I'm sure you're the only person who ever does that

Trust me, he doesn't do it. He's posting shit that never happened.

>It's not that crazy
it's pretty crazy. I mean I live down the road from a church which does soup kitchens and stuff for alkies and skagheads so it's not the craziest thing I've heard, but it's pretty damn weird.

As far as I understand he can ASK for any of those things, but unless he wants to draw it tto court he shouldn't even consider asking for money, and even then, she can just file off the serial numbers and be done with it. Anyway, how much of the charsheet is property of the player?

> (X) Doubt
youtube.com/watch?v=Ga-q0F7oWnU

It's obviously Unsounded, that's the only half-decent webcomic that started off of a RP group and explicitly includes characters beyond the author's.
he should sue cope over it, it would be funny to see her prissy 'arteeeste' vision go up in flames because she fucked up a rights issue.

It's not Oglaf and it's not Unsounded. Both are older than just a few years and neither is looking to join up with Hiveworks. If she's only getting a few hundred views per update, I imagine it's a newer comic on the scene

>Only $10 bucks for Yellowquiet
Understandable. Not really a bad horse but the fans tend to be insufferable.

well maybe that faggot could give the actual name instead of just limp-dick crying in a thread.

>How do you get your players to relinquish the rights to the characters they create?

Please commit suicide.

This.

I might like to do that if the campaign turns out awesome, but having them sign at the start seems delusional af. Just have fun, would you?

I believe you op

I want to fuck this bunny.

Anything is better than DragonLance. The fetish rps I do on Chatzy are better than DragonLance.

You didn't love Raistlin? What's wrong with you?

>A contract that does not have consideration for both parties will fall apart in a court of law.
Horse shit. There are rights waivers all over the place that are people giving up their rights and intellectuals to another party all the time.

Unsounded gets way more than a few hundred views

This is skeevy as fuck. If you were my DM I'd walk, but only after kicking you in the balls.

Honestly, if my GM used one of my characters I'd be more surprised he thought they were good enough for his story than anything else.

It's not really any skin off my nose. I've found characters who work'd great for RPGs I've played aren't the best fodder for stories. I prefer to come up with fresh characters if I'm writing something. Using RPG characters for your stories--be they yours or someone else's--is pretty damn lazy in my opinion.

That said, a DM handing out contracts asking players to relinquish the rights to their characters is advanced autism. I'd just tell the guy to put the contract away because I don't give a shit.

Yeah! You can't 'own' the character you created! Just because you decided their personality, skills, appearance, and backstory, doesn't mean it belongs to you!

Raistlin is the only decent part of Dragonlance. He's the only one who rises above my ongoing Harry Potter X Buddy Holly inflation roleplay.

Chaos Dragon is the only one I've heard of, and it was probably only feasible because the players were king of big names.
It's entertainingly bad, if anyone was curious.

How can I void a contract such as this? Could I just sign it with a name not my own and claim the signature was forged?

Well, we do have Record of Lodoss War and various other novels based on Japanese replays

This thread gave me major depression.