Is shoveing people into robot bodies in a 40k campaign a good idea...

Is shoveing people into robot bodies in a 40k campaign a good idea? As in their very souls being ripped out and placed in men of iron.

This is 40k, nothing is ever a good idea.

So, make them Dreadnoughts? It's a terrible idea, no one would ever do such a thing.

Biotransference like the necrons except with souls?

No not placeing them in glorified life support. But rather having them be part of some Hereteks technomagic bullshit.

Isn't there something like that in one of the DH 1e books?

Pretty much, I was thinking the enemies of such a campaign would be deamon possesed robots.

Admech don't have the tech to completely replace organic components, partly because of heresy but also technological limitations.

Even the most augmented magos still has an organic brain.

Shit, computers in the Imperium are basically just modified brains in jars.

Ill look through and see if there is.

Just use heretical admech and call it a day then. No need to make a snowflake.

I remember it was something that had a plasma blade for an arm and was totally immune to psychic powers.

But arent the bowls of mars filled with shit like that? Machine spirits gone bezerk from the viruses and warp taint of the horus heresy?

HERETEKS! *blam*

I had thought about buying 40k source books, the thought of rogue trader is sort of an intimidating concept to consider.

Yes, they haven't got souls though. Just lots of fucked up ancient machines.

Abominable intelligences can even be possessed, without souls. They're apparently even more susceptible to it, because they can be possessed with no effort.

You've basically described an over engineered servitor, or possibly a venerated skitarii commander if you want them to retain a degree of sentience.

Exactly, a heretek experimenting with abominable intelligence and the transferal of souls into men of iron. The pcs are failed experiments tossed into the garbage to rust. And they must fight their way through the station infested with twisted servitors and deamonic engines of death.

Why can't they just be normal dudes?

The fun part of 40k for me is the notion of regular everymen fighting impossible opponents, and without ever winning, continuing to fight through perseverance, ingenuity, sacrifice and all the other great human qualities.

Making the PCs super robot people kind of defeats the purpose in my opinion.

Not that user but an idea for both. Start out as regular dudes, escape, fight your way out, final encounter snatch all hope away, they get their transfer, and now you have a story and a grim dark setting

What are space marines, inquisitors, and rogue traders?

Hi OP

If you didn't catch my idea, check this guy's lore

They wouldnt be super robots... they would be horrific abominations against the machine god. Honestly they would be better off in their human forms safe comfortable and warm. And yes it is about the everyman. These are everymen having your very being ripped out and placed in a cold metallic shell isnt as awesome as it sounds.

Good shit man. It seems that it is possible to put people in full robot bodies.

Really should be noted that Abnett is not always true to the lore.

You could potentially use something like that as a backstory in Rogue Trader, I think. Its one of the Origin Path options, "False Man", I think.

See, I think that's potentially a good idea. They're failed experiments because the end result is, in almost every way, a normal human, when the Heretek wanted some warp-spawned monstrosity. They may not even think they're artificial humanoids until they start taking critical damage. They could remember some elements of their lives before they woke up in the Heretek dungeons (before they died and their souls went into the warp or before they had their souls ripped out and pumped into a new body) but the process or the trauma made them somewhat amnesiac. What happens when/if they find their original bodies could be interesting.

Its not a great idea 99% of the time, but Chaos laughs at those odds.

This Might be something for you to look into:
DH1 Disciples of the Dark Gods p. 44
The Proteus Protocol

Abnett doesn't need to be true to lore because his stuff just gets added directly into the lore.

Biotransference didn't move their souls, the C'tan ate them.

>As in their very souls being ripped out and placed in men of iron
Men of Iron can't have souls. That's the whole point.