Your BBEG undergoes a breakdown like this after shown mercy

Your BBEG undergoes a breakdown like this after shown mercy.
> change your mind and kill him?
> or maintain your decision?

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s16JeKqRWCAg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Question: Why are we killing him again?

Only if it's necessary.

In the pic, he was a dictator who orchestrated genocides to harvest fuel from core of planets.
> adopted a child to assassinate his father
> ordered a peaceful protest movement to be shot and left the leader alive
> cooperated with harsh religious faction to suppress the masses
> stole the powerful weapon of the interplanetary space cop

>Sparing me?

>Is this some sort of joke?
>I've killed thousands to get where I am.
>I've walked over towering corpse-piles of countless innocents to get my rightful revenge- my rightful heritage.

>And this is how I'm repaid- this is your idea of justice? A self-righteous sign of fake mercy?
>Or maybe you're just letting me reflect on my suffering and madness, hoping I'll kill myself so you don't dirty your spotless little hands.
>No. Hardly spotless.
>You all are me with a shiny coat of paint, is what you are. Let me count you off.

>You're a traitor to the people who raised you, wearing an facade like you always do.
>Trying to gain titles so you feel like you accomplished something in your pathetic life.
>Do you really think you can find redemption, assassin?

>You're nothing but a coward running from death, using any excuse to earn money that doesn't stain your conscience, desperately chasing immortality.
>As if the Reaper were behind every corner.
>You haven't changed from the child that watched his parents die, monk.

>What do you have underneath that silent exterior of yours, cleric?
>Nothing but a hollow image of a soul desperately looking for purpose in life.
>You, empty-willed, are less than a person.

>And you. Oh, you.
>Did you really think you could sweep those sins of yours under a rug?
>At least I admit I'm a heartless bastard manipulating people.
>Your patron never asked for your soul because you don't have one.

>You always find an excuse to justify your actions. Just like me.
>You made deals with the darkest gods known to existence. Just like me.
>You're all searching for something you know you can never had, blindly pursing it to the end, regardless of the cost.
>Just like me.

>You want to know what I wanted?
>I wanted to show the world that I could help people- that I was worth something.
>I wanted to go home and be welcomed once and for all by my brother.
>I wanted to be a hero, just like you.

>But every step I took, I either made a mistake or trusted the wrong person.
>So what else is there to do but give in?
>At least evil got me where I wanted, at least close enough to be stopped by you.

>But don't you DARE pity me, calling me a 'victim of circumstance' or anything sappy.
>That's just the pathetic idealism you bastards make world-famous.
>This was all me.
>Your morals were weak enough to crack under pressure like mine did, you all deserve to be called immoral wretches, just like I am.

>Hah.
>You win. Are you happy?
>The monster has been slain, the great evil vanquished.
>As if that's going to make the world peachy again.

>Maybe you could hope for that, I guess.
>One less monster in this world.
>Personally, I'd prefer four less, but we can't always get what we want.

>Where's my daughter?
>Oh, gods, what have I done?
>Heh.
>Maybe I can do one thing right in life and do myself in, hm?

He would probably pull some sort of self-destruct after that, hoping to take the PCs with him.

>showing mercy to the BBEG
If the man was worth hunting down he's worth killing when we catch him.

It's probably better to kill him. Leave no loose ends.

>the campaign is literally us shitting all over Star Wars: The Old Republic's canon about a couple of hundred years early so our BBEG is Emperor Valkorion
>trying to justify selfishly prolonging your own life at the cost of others and annihilating all life in this galaxy for the sake of others that may or may not exist
I throw him his lightsaber back and prepare to see how many of my blaster shots he can block before I finally mow him down. Weren't expecting a gun Jedi, were you?

>finally see a good thread in catalog
>page 10
THIS IS BAD
BUMP

End it. The deed has been done

well played.

There's always a third way.

so his rant is pretty much total bullshit then?

For what reason is there to spare him? The old trope that goes "we would be no better than them" comes to mind for the common lot of super heroes. My job was to stop him. I will take the BBEG stripped of their power and leave them with the embittered masses for unspeakable punishment and tortures. From afar I will watch these things, and know justice is being done.

>justice
Mob justice is no justice. To strip the villain of their power is well and good, and to throw them to the mercy of those they oppressed has some "poetic" irony, but it is not just. To bring them before the law, have him tried by his courts and found guilty for his sins is the only way.

>Mob justice is no justice.
Exactly, you should execute the evildoer yourself on first opportunity. Ideally before they actually do the intended evil.

>Exactly, you should execute the evildoer yourself on first opportunity. Ideally before they actually do the intended evil.
No. Roving deathsquads summarily executing whoever they deem an "evildoer" is equally unjust.

Witnesses, evidence and testimony amounting to guilt are the only grounds for a legal execution of a citizen. If the perpetrator is demonstrably a danger to themselves and others, attempts to kill innocents, or resists arrest- in which case, inprisonment, arrest and nonfatal damage are necessary, respectively.

If a person has revoked their citizenship, plans to harm citizens or is an outlaw, an assassin or a unsanctioned practitioner of forbidden arts, these rights are waived. They may be killed, but only after given a single chance to surrender, cease and desist, or turn themselves in, but the blood is on your hands.

Ironic justice is probably the most deserved for villains who harmed the Mob. Yes, their civilization will be thrown into shambles as they rebuild. Yes they will be hungry. Yes they will still be bitter. Yes they will have been enabled. Yet vengeance will be theirs. This blood feast will go full circle, again and again.

We must rise above our baser ways. The Mob can give testimony, but to allow them to lynch someone is weak and immoral. Their vengeance will be with the executioner's blade, and in the spilt blood of the villain.

If we put in all that work to beat the BBEG, then he was clearly too dangerous and important to ignore. Kill him.

Okay for real why is GL wearing Darkseid's sigil? It sort of makes the purple dude seem like he has a point.

Well maybe I WANT them to be weak.

>To bring them before the law, have him tried by his courts and found guilty for his sins is the only way.

What are courts but an attempt by weak men to wash their own hands clean by making justice into a decision by committee?

This

Would you prefer your life to be at the mercy of a court or at the whim of a stranger?

The difference being numbers?

The difference being that if twelve learned, logical and reasonable men and women deliberate on your guilt and come to a decision, it is likely to be fairer than that of a lone wolf whose conception of law is a matter of luck on your part. With a court, you have a greater possibility of being able to defend yourself, and to get off, unmolested.

Counterpoint. You can negotiate with a lone wolf in ways you can't negotiate with a court. Bribery is much easier, for example.
I'm just being a devil's advocate here, I like our justice system better than the alternative.

>twelve "learned, logical, and reasonable" people decide your fate

What is this but the very mob justice you rail against?

Discussions like this are why I cringe every time I see a Paladin spout the whole "we have to put him through a trial to answer for his crimes" shpiel. Bitch, you *are* the judge, jury, and executioner. Stop trying to pass the buck.

Yeah, but what's stopping him from taking the money and killing you? I think that with a lone wolf you have a higher chance of being killed in the first place, regardless of what you do. With a court, you can use your innocence or persuasal skills- but still stand a high enough chance of being killed.

Well, because a jury is selected for their impartiality. The difference is that there is a judge in the room who makes the final decision. The jury contribute to it, but a well selected jury will have disagreements on innocence, among other things. For them all to come to an agreement should be difficult.
In a case where a bbeg is being tried, then I'm not quite sure how a jury would be constructed, because I know shit about law.

I'm going to read these out in a BBEG voice for you, user.

Trials are for societies who can't ask God if someone is or is not guilty.

Here's the question you have to ask yourself.
Which is more likely-
>An adventurer who risks his life every day and comes across dilemmas like this all the time (but may not resolve them Lawfully or in a Good way), has a reputation in the land and people he trusts to buy and sell from, comes to a Lawful Good decision about someone they have faced and fought on multiple occasions, but also someone they may have held a grudge against.
>Twelve people ranging from completely different lifestyles and philosophies, nearly none of which are dangerous, with varying but usually higher-than average educations, protected by the state, come together and agree on a Lawful Good decision towards someone they know nothing about other than the fact that he/she's accused of being a criminal and their crimes.
And then you have your answer.

Justice must always retain an element of vengeance, or it is not truly justice.

But what if doing so means you lose your hat privileges?

Means don't necessarily justify the ends, user.

Those who say that can do so only because those that believed the ends were all that mattered came before them and made a world in which such questions could be asked at all.

So you're saying that we can only make civilized decisions if we're civilized. Mighty circular argument there buddy.

Thanks. I was considering doing it myself, but my voice always comes out sounding weird passed through microphones.
He's not what you might expect of a BBEG, more of a self-righteous wizard than some threatening tank.

Yeah, but they damn sure help.
If I have to exclusively pick between two tests, you can bet your ass I'll pick the more accurate one unless the other has some sort of aspect that makes it more appropriate for this situation. Here, a man's life is at stake, or those of whoever he harms if he goes free on a faulty verdict.

Well, i recorded it as a lich. I hope you're okay with that. Uploading and processing it now.

How do you know which one is more accurate?

Mercy? Nah, I'm dragging his ass with me to the places he fucked up the worst and forcing him to fix them with a toothbrush.

I have over 147 in my cart back home made for that specific purpose. I was a dentist before he made the entire world a warzone.

I asked you in this post .
If you can't trust your own judgement for that question, you shouldn't decide who judges this man- and whoever it ends up being, it shouldn't be you.

I wasn't saying that I don't trust my own judgement, I was asking how do you know which one is more likely to give an "accurate" answer.

In honesty, I think that, in the situation you described, the adventurer is more likely, under pressure of image and reputation, to give a result that is to some degree lawful and good.
However, I think that, if presented with all the evidence, if the jury comes to a LG answer,it will be more lawful and good than the adventurers' one- as their perspective isn't clouded by grudge.

He would have gotten shot halfway through that.

>I wasn't saying that I don't trust my own judgement, I was asking how do you know which one is more likely to give an "accurate" answer.
You look at the circumstances and come to a conclusion like every other situation since the dawn of mankind?
You're asking me how I know whether an adventurer is more or less accurate than a jury, and I'm telling you you need to figure that out based on the foe, the adventurer, and the jury. It's not a thing I can just tell you. Use your best judgement to figure out who gets to make a decision on this guy.

Please. I'm the guy who wrote it, and he would have been dead before he started. It was a writing exercise in the low-percentage chance my players spared his ass.

I got really into it and got a line or three wrong.
Sorry about that.
Had fun tho, thanks for the voice practice.
Need to be able to keep this voice going for longer without getting a dry throat.

vocaroo.com/i/s16JeKqRWCAg

Warriors on the wall keep you safe from the orcs so that you can question why we need those warriors or how they do their duty.

They are to be killed if and only if they cannot be neutralized in any other more moral fashion. Justice is merely revenge wearing a pretty face. I don't care what they did, I care what they will do. I shall use their past actions and their present state to determine that. If I find that they will do more harm in the future with no recourse other than my ending their life, I will kill them. Otherwise, they will continue in whatever state I and others with different yet equally valid perspectives deem fit to leave them with.

I'm the DM and I say you were show stunned by his awesome display of incite that you could only stand there and listen. Which is why my GMNPC had to come in and save you AGAIN. I wish you guys could learn.

Well, in the ideal situation,the adventurer breaks enough of the bones of the foe to render him no longer a threat, and then takes him in to trial.

I would like to bank on the jury being reasonable, but- if this foe we're talking about is sufficiently evil and manipulative to lie to a jury about his innocence, and to have them believe it, then the adventurer killing or gravely injuring him will be good.

But I do think that before being killed everyone has a right to try to prove their innocence.

And because of that we must only do things the warrior way?

It's coincidence maybe Omega is the symbol of the Vega sector's religion and rebellion

And thus why civilization is a cycle of collapse and reconstruction. But at least we have dungeons to explore.

Pretty sure you're not me, dude.
I do love me some speeches though, so i might sit and watch.

Holy shit.
When my boat finally comes in, can I hire you full time?

>And thus why civilization is a cycle of collapse and reconstruction
Simply because there is a cycle of life does not mean that one cannot have ideals and stand for them.

Tribalistic law may well be good for the case of the BBEG. But what about the guy who steals to feed his family? The woman driven to poison her husband because he wouldn't stop beating her? The fraudster who uses his abilities to access crooked guilds? Law is complex and the one-man-team system, I think, only applies to facile cases.

Heh, thanks for the kind words! ^_^;

Feel free to use it on your own end, I've downloaded it myself so I can get in character before I run the final showdown.

>^_^;

I came.

What issue of green lantern is this?

Tried searching for RCO013

Haha, yes! How foolish he is for using a sword in an age of space travel. I bow down to your logical superiority and combat pragmatism. Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side.

>*tips fedora*

The greatest torture is regret, the greatest trial is remorse, the greatest execution is suicide.

He will live, forever, alone but unforgotten until he kills himself or is redeemed.

It's actually recent Omega Men series by Tom King

Kyle gets put through a wringer, as he gets kidnapped by the titular anti-heroes/terrorists and gets involved in a civil war in vega.

King used to be CIA, and it has a LOT of parallels to current situation in Middle East.

K thank you

The BBEG refuses mercy and kills the heroes. If he can't kill the heroes, he kills himself.

He has good intentions at heart, but realises them in the wrong way. Out of all different possibilities and futures, the best ones end with either him, or them, dying. If the latter is impossible, that leaves one final choice to make.

Unless the Jury finds innocent. The Judge may get to decide on the exact punishment, but the Jury decides what, if anything, to punish for.

I love you user, mind if I use this?

Well, that is if we have a US-style system in place

Obviously, but everyone had already made so many leaps assuming something similar to at least the tv version of a US court, that I didn't feel like it needed more clarifying.

Go nuts, you sure as heck don't need my anonymous permission to use my tired out voice.

What are you going to use it for, anyway?
I be curious.

A boss speech, probably. I think I'm going to use this for the right-hand-lich of the BBEG, since the campaign is roughly going to be based on Snake Eater

>omega symbol is their religion
>omega symbol is the symbol of The. New.God.

Baby Darkseid fucks with Kyle when?

BBEGs are for killing, no mercy.

>implying I don't use a lightsaber too
>also implying the blaster is fedoriffic and not just because the character was an experienced gunner and became a Jedi late in life, so he relies on what he knows for the most part
You know what they say about when you assume, user