What exactly are these mysterious constructs doing on Cadia in such vast numbers...

What exactly are these mysterious constructs doing on Cadia in such vast numbers? What are their purposes and most importantly, who made them?

Also thread for bizarre, strange WH40k lore stubs

Weren't they made by the Necrons to stabilize the Warp?

Really? So those crafty robots planned it all along
Creed-level anticipation here

well, they do have time travel

They weren't made because of the Eye, they were made to cut off reality from the warp. In the old fluff the C'tan wanted to basically put up a galaxy wide Gellar field to separate the warp and real space from one another.

As far as we know, Cadia is the only one. It creates the stable region of space that forms the Cadia gate and allows safe passage in and out of the Eye.

They are discussed in the eisenhorn series.

>As far as we know, Cadia is the only one
I'm pretty sure the Eisenhorn series mentions another set on a planet around the eye

That was Cadia.

Can't remember the exact details, but Necron fluff mentioned an awakening Dynasty building more.

>"WE MUST CONSTRUCT ADDITIONAL PYLONS!"

No, I know what he's referring to, and it's a different planet. The problem is that on the other planet the pylons don't work, and the Mechanicus is trying very, very hard to get them back online again, and the planet is pretty much only known to the Inquisition and the Mechanicus who work there for them.

>As far as we know,

As far as we know? You bleeden' cunt. Don't speak for me.

The Ghoul Stars also has pylons like that (Grey Knight 7th ED codex). Numerous BL novels and stories feature them (The Serpent Beneath, Monolith, etc).

So don't you dare make us to be as ignorant as you.

>but Necron fluff mentioned an awakening Dynasty building more.

No, it doesn't. I know because I read 100% of the Newcron fluff.

Bunch of cunts posting today.

It's just Carnac.

First post was a joke.

A second was me correcting you on a lie. There is nothing stating that Necron dynasties are constructing pylons.

The planet the pylons are on is Cadia. It says Cadia, there's Cadian troops there and they mention Cadian locations (such as Kasr Tyrok). The bad guy was there, studying the pylons in order to build a copy of them in a different location.

>correcting me

Nice try pal.

That pic mentions a gravity mirror as a singular device affecting the system and clearly something which could be dealt with easy enough. Cadian pylons don't make warp travel impossible and I'm pretty sure the pylons themselves are quite resilient, making them hard to destroy even if the Imperium wanted to. Doubt a lone knight and his parrot friend could have done it just like that.

The GK codex bit sounds more like a null field matrix you find on tomb worlds.

What do the novels say?

You forgot one fluff piece, quite old I believe (oldcron era), where there's some old Necron installation hidden away at the edge of the galaxy that, as I remember, was linked to the Pylon technology. When they turned it on, it pretty much caused people to drop dead, because it severed their souls from their bodies or something to that effect. Could have been a test facility to determine how high they could turn the things without just murdering everyone. Can't feed the overlords if the cage kills the livestock.

The Eye of Terror and Medusa V worldwide campaigns featured Necrons building new pylons - in fact, building pylons was their main goal in the latter, as they wanted to shield the whole world from the warp storm coming for it. One of the Medusa V Necron reports also mentioned other planets across the galaxy with pylons on them.

And if you go back even earlier, the first 3rd edition CSM codex, when talking about Cadia, said there were "numerous alien artefacts, some larger than worlds, that lie in wilderness space around the region", but I think that was just kind of forgotten about.

Oldcrons only.

>What do the novels say?
Can't speak for any others, but The Serpent Beneath revolved around a secret Alpha Legion base from which they were operating a pylon of their own manufacture (made of the same material that Quixos used* for his replica pylon; Rob Sanders is clearly an Eisenhorn fan). The Pylon Array, as they called it, calmed the warp in the surrounding area of space, Cadian Gate style - and as a result, created warp storms in the neighbouring systems. This disruption of the warp beyond the calm zone was described as an unintentional side effect, but it was the purpose for which the Alpha Legion were using their pylon, to prevent loyalist warp travel and communication. Most critically, they had trapped the White Scars in the Chondax system and kept them unaware that the Heresy was even happening.

* or would later use, chronologically speaking, since Eisenhorn is 40k and The Serpent Beneath is 30k

Also, that last thing you mentioned sounds like the background to the Cerberus War BFG campaign: some Eldar tried to use pylons in the Cerberus sector to hide their craftworld and its special Webway Nexus from Ahriman, a plan which (inevitably) went horribly wrong. The activated pylons destroyed the craftworld's shielding and its infinity circuit, massive warp-plosion ensued, and both the craftworld and the Chaos fleet attacking it were frozen in stasis.

IIRC the campaign was fan-run though the fluff and scenarios were published in the official BFG magazine.

>The Eye of Terror and Medusa V

Eye of Terror got rolled back and Medusa V got swallowed up with the Necrons unable to complete the constructions. Don't remember if EoT Necrons were able to do anything. I'll take a wild stab at "no."

>a secret Alpha Legion base from which they were operating a pylon of their own manufacture

Well, they're not Necron pylons then, are they? They're just copies.

I'm sure Necrons have the ability to build some forms of warp negating structures to protect planets or systems, but if they were able to build pylons in the scale of Cadia, why won't they? They could fuck whole sectors. But at best we see constructs covering individual worlds or systems.

And so far I haven't seen planets like Cadia, where the whole place is just covered in the pylons and the warp is super-calm around it light-years in all directions.

Sounds about right.

I just meant to point out that there were pylons on other worlds at least at some point in the setting's retcon-riddled history, even if Cadia was the only site that was really relevant. As it is now, yeah, EoT's been rolled back - though not entirely - while Medusa V has apparently been brought forward, and the Necron' achievements, or lack thereof, in those campaigns haven't been mentioned again.

>Don't remember if EoT Necrons were able to do anything. I'll take a wild stab at "no."
In terms of pylons, they made some new ones (or unearthed hidden existing ones?) on the sentinel worlds and it was left at that. A contribution to the Oldcrons' ultimate goal, assuming nothing happened to them later, but it wasn't their objective for that particular campaign.

Nice try? My mentally challenged cite the codex which has the dynasty that's building pylons.

>The GK codex bit sounds more like a null field matrix you find on tomb worlds.

Except that the building on the surfaces were producing the effect. Same goes for the building in the Monolith short story.

The Null matrices are in the core of worlds and are not in buildings.

>Don't remember if EoT Necrons were able to do anything. I'll take a wild stab at "no."
they blew up one of the two blackstone fortresses, which is something

I don't think they did anything noteworthy on the planets of the gate, though.

>they blew up one of the two blackstone fortresses, which is something

Did they? I don't think so. I think they blew one and got wiped out by the other.

Remember that Eldrad got aboard the surviving one and was sucked up by the Slaaneshi presence within its core.

>The Null matrices are in the core of worlds and are not in buildings.

It doesn't say that it's in the core of the planets. It says "hidden away at the Tomb World's very heart". If you want to be really pedantic about interpretations, I guess you can read it as the matrix itself having been placed into the planet's core. Why you'd subject such a sensitive equipment to such treatment, instead of hiding it into a well guarded and protected section of the tomb complex, is beyond me.

GK codex says:
>"The root cause of the shadow that hung over Sargotha lay within its countless obsidian pyramids, vast megalithic structures left behind by some forgotten xenos architect."

It's not that the pyramids themselves cause the effect, just that the cause of the shadow lies within them. If it's a tomb complex, then they'd most likely be connected to one another. Sargotha was a mere planet. You know, like how null field matrices protect tomb worlds, not whole sectors of space. Also, the structures are described as pyramids, not pylons.

Obviously Cadia is a post-post-apocalyptic reference to The Night Land, and these spires were originally the Last Redoubts.

>on a """lie"""
I've see this schizo posting a lot today, is this that Carnac fellow you blokes talk about?

>I don't think so. I think they blew one
that's what I said, yo

I don't remember exactly what happened to their fleet in the end, but I do know the necrons fucking up the blackstones was exactly why Eldrad showed up at the battle for cadia personally.

Is that what they look like? For some reason I always figured they looked like some kind of giant tuning fork.