So, yesterday night we had our weekly game. The GM is taking a bit from a Berserk arc...

So, yesterday night we had our weekly game. The GM is taking a bit from a Berserk arc, and we have to save a secluded mountain village from a horde of ghouls, however said ghouls were created by a special ritual and cannot be harmed by normal weapons. So, the GM has us explore the forest and find a witch, and she gift each one of us a special magic weapon. Like I said, it was heavily based off Berserk.

And everyone is having fun, until the witch gives our pally her weapon, which is described as a "foreign blade", with a blade "tinted red,slender and curved, and impossibly sharp" and almost as tall as she is. Then the weapon is further described as having a black, laquered wood scabbard, a round guard and a handle wrapped in silk cord and shark skin.

Then another of the players (rogue) goes like "c'mon, a fucking katana?" The GM asks him to keep the meta quiet until the scene is finished, but the rogue player keeps interrupting about how he hopes she (the pally player) gets the proper penalties, then says he hopes the game won't become a "weaboo circklejerk" and just refuses to shut up, even after the pally player says she really likes the idea.

>tfw the game gets derailed to fuck over such dumb shit and both the GM and the Rogue player get pissed off at each other, and both called each other "neckbeard".

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7Kt5FNlfyA8
youtube.com/watch?v=BVCaJdYZmCU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>muh western knight can't be taited by inferior katana

Typical westaboo shit

>the proper penalties
What penalties? Kick that rogue faggot for thinking one sharpened piece of steel is somehow worse than another

Some people are just faggots like that.

> westaboo

You mean Occidentalism.

While obviously not mechanically in the game, a properly made katana is flat out worse than similarly sized swords of europe, and in the case of certain nordic regions they had swords far greater in quality hundreds of years earlier.

It is quite literally a worse sharp piece of steel. The katana is made of lower quality material and is far worse a weapon in any instance that doesn't involve murdering naked peasants due to it being far heavier for its size and far more brittle in addition to not having a proper armor piercing point.

Of course, this katana was fucking magic, so it's obviously not going to have any of those issues and the rogue is a sperg for not realizing this.

>lower quality

That shit has been debunked here like a million times

>in the case of certain nordic regions they had swords far greater in quality hundreds of years earlier.

Fun fact. The best swords ever forged were made in India, with wootz steel. They were followed by middle eastern blades from Syria, and then from Spain.

Nordic steel is shit compared to those.

That's usually when you can just say, do you want to gm? Usually they shut the fuck up.

Rogue sounds like he spends to much time on 4chins

>a properly made katana is flat out worse than similarly sized swords of europe
Stop drinking the kool-aid/baiting, aight?
Were I the gm, I'd drop the hammer on such a player over such nonsense. Sperging out on such a thing is ridiculous. If the gm had called it a kriegmesser, han-dao, or the many single edged blades made in cultures from Arabia east, it wouldn't be a problem.
>a little mad, yeah

No it hasn't
What makes it better than Damascus steel?

>It's a It's Japanese so it's weebshit and therefore bad
Does your rogue browse Veeky Forums too? He sounds like the same like the retards from here who get an aneurysm whenever anything Japanese appears in anything they may see.

>No it hasn't
Lets ignore the metallurgists, smiths, historians that have all blown that all blown that bullshit out of the water, more than once. Maybe you should trawl the archives for this exact thing.

Of course it has.

I have degrees in both metallurgy and material science. Hit me with your best shot friendo

Not him, but I have a doctorates in metallurgy, a super hot sweedish girlfriend who speaks fluent Japanese, and a 7 foot dick. I think you are wrong.

I hope you can see my point here, dickwaiver.

I hope you explained to this idiot that exotic weapons were all the rage for most of the west's feudal years. If it was unusually shaped, had a gimmick, looked expensive, or just had animal or dick shapes there was some noble who wanted to show it off all the time. Truth is, a knight with a unique looking weapon at the time would probably earn a fucking title just for standing out. Hell yes he would take the blade for the usual eastern witch.

I have to ask.

Why a katana? If the GM didn't wanted a typical knight sword, he could have gone for a viking sword. Or a messer. Or an executioner's blade. Or even a yagathan or scimitar for something exotic.

Why a fucking katana of all things? That screams weaboo

nice try, rogue. it's just a fucking sword dude

Not bragging or lying. If user had not brought up metallurgy as evidence i would have never even mentioned it.

So wheres the proof?

Where's yours? All you've done is claimed that you know better with no evidence, and so far at least 4 people in this thread disagree with you, so considering that, I think the onus is on you for proof, Mr. Degree-in-some-made-up-bullshit.

Well a katana is, in fact, a "foreign" sword, it's well known enough as to be easily visualized, and you don't run the risk of having to stop the game to try and accurately describe some strange weapon like a shotel to the group.

I mean, it's not the most original of weapon choices, but it's certainly serviceable.

Plus, the GM probably assumed his players would be mature enough to not sperg out over a sharp piece of metal.

You can't debunk the fact the iron sand makes an inferior metal, ya dummy.

>certain nordic regions
Viking steel was shit.
Pure and simple, no bone about it, It Was Shit.
They overcame this via plating steel ribbons together and it did it's job. However, don't for a moment think Vikings had any kind of magic sword metal and the fact that you actually think it was better then the steel that Japan used for their Katana's really suggests you have never even bothered to even so much as read a paragraph on this.

I fucking hate japanese shit in my western fantasy too, but calling it a "foreign blade" would assuage me greatly. I would just imagine it as a murakumo and feel right with the world.

This is why I DM, though. No katanas, no steampunk trash, final destination.

>Damascus

Are you a ra-tard?

It's a widely known FACT that the blades went through such a smithing process to make up for the fact that Japan had such shit-quality steel back then, and it's also why the edge of the blade was harder than the back of it, making it brittle and prone to bending and breaking quite easily.

Prove to me where it's been debunked. Give me links.

No no no. YOU said that Japanese steel was shit originally, the burden of proof rest solely with you.

Shit Iron Ore, not shit steel.
The forging process made it good steel.

>They overcame this via plating steel ribbons together and it did it's job. However, don't for a moment think Vikings had any kind of magic sword metal and the fact that you actually think it was better then the steel that Japan used for their Katana's really suggests you have never even bothered to even so much as read a paragraph on this.

Viking swords were made using pattern welding, which made what is sometimes called 'fabricated damascus steel'. The process is considered more advanced then Japanese forging techniques, and it creates a superior blade for a lot less work.

>The process is considered more advanced then Japanese forging techniques
It is literally the same thing, and produces the same steel.
Why is this thread still around? Where is fucking KM when you need him?

The katana has a strong edge but a soft back which means it's notoriously brittle, read a book yourself or better yet learn swordsmanship instead of watching anime, the katana may be good for draw cuts but that's about it.

>It's a widely known FACT
Different user here. It's actually a widely believed misunderstanding. Their iron ores formed differently, and required a different forging process to produce weapons-grade steel. That's all. Japanese vs. European steel is an apples-and-oranges comparison.
youtube.com/watch?v=7Kt5FNlfyA8

Man, the Blades are still some of the tightest shit about TES lore.

>it literally is the same thing

Did you just say that pattern welding is the same as sword folding?

Are you literally this fucking retarded? Did you really just say that?

>some dipshit with a youtube channel

Great.

youtube.com/watch?v=BVCaJdYZmCU

And that's even using modern forging methods and techniques.

Which is not the fault of the steel, but a product of their forging method.
I know this, everyone in the thread knows this but you.

You are making the erroneous claim that this means shit steel.
It does not.

Yeah man, sun is same as dog, and wood is same as love

Forgive a clueless user, but what makes saying Damascus steel bait?

>about to write a response, then you post
Come'on, son, you just overreached.

>even the video title has a fucking emoticon in it
Stop.

Shitposting.

Tripfag.

>westaboo

That only works if you live in Asia you fuck-nugget.

See
And understand already you are the only idiot on this page.

>this triggers the weaboo

>Blade-on-blade
Fuck off, tripfag.

>Dismisses it because it's a video
>Responds with guaranteed replies: the video

Hahaha, great ruse my friend.

Damascus was made from Wootz steel, but this was then mixed with lower quality iron.
It's a decent steel but far from magical space metal that cuts magic.
However, the main issue is that Damascus has been fangasmed over as much as Katanas have, invoking Damascus is akin to invoking Katanas, especially as he wasn't making a point with it, he doesn't give reason behind why he brought it up, he just slapped it out there like a penis in order to invoke a response.

>You are making the erroneous claim that this means shit steel.

You're a fucking retard, and so are you

I guess that's why they revamped their swords when they snapped against Mongol's hardened leather, eh? Instead of making better quality blades, they opted to just make them thicker.

>Only filthy, yellow chinks and gooks can drool all over superior European knight cock.
ftfy

Seeing as a weaboo is someone who isn't Japanese or from Japan, and is obsessed with Japanese culture, yea, you fucking mongrel, that's exactly right, unless you're an autistic who's just angry at the people around him calling him a fucking weeb loser.

>only Europe, America, and Asia exist

Was the paladin a halfling? Because katanas aren't almost as tall as a person.
It sounds more like a Chinese Zhanmadao or Changdao

What a faggot...it was obviously an Odachi.

You realise that Japan uses the word Otaku to mean the same negative thing?

>Damn, someone tore apart my fallacious argument with child-like ease.
>I must continue this argument so it doesn't appear that I have lost already but have no actual counter argument of my own.
>I must resort to bitter name calling at once

>he called me an idiot
>that means I can dismiss the rest of the post!

There's nothing else in your post, though.

Oodachi.

Hello shitstorm my old friend

>Of course, this katana was fucking magic
It doesn't even matter if it is magic or not, since in a fantasy world our real life values don't apply.
Mereley the aestetics.

The only thing in the post was the ad-hominem and a completely unsourced and extremely vague, and still incorrect comment aimed at someone else.
What was I not meant to disregard exactly?

>even after the pally player says she really likes the idea
>autistic cunt bullies a woman and derails a session because he doesn't like the sword that SHE is getting
Maybe all you anti-weeb faggots need to chill the fuck out

what anime is this, I've been looking for the name.

Humanity Has Declined.

Thanks man.

SHE shouldn't have been there in the first place, allowing women to intrude on games just assures drama as beautifully demonstrated by OP

The only bitch in the story was the dude getting worked up over a weapon that he wasn't even getting.