Starfinder - Pathfinder in Space

paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5litw?Announcing-the-Starfinder-Roleplaying-Game#discuss
paizo.com/starfinder/

>Pathfinder... IN SPACE
Discuss

I'm not a huge Pathfinder fan, though I don't really hate it. I'm always interested in space opera/fantasy in space stuff. Starfinder mite.b.cool.

Now with actual thread title and mentioning the name of the game

Other urls found in this thread:

paizo.com/starfinder/
knowdirectionpodcast.com/2016/05/paizocon-banquet-reveals-2017/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I could imagine no better company to grab the cash of ME3 fans than Paizo.

Its over a year away before release ... any excitement just left

Pathfinder is shit, it's a shame that they're not going to improve their shit rules.

>"let's play a scifi game, but I only know Pathfinder so let's use that" is now an official product
What a time to be alive.

Yeah this is actually a worse start than d20 Modern, which at least had its own setting and adjusted rules.

I like Pathfinder, but I have a very bad feeling.

>paizo.com/starfinder/
So will it use the same basic system as pathfinder?
Complete shit then.

I'd normally only post this for Satan, but at this point I can only describe it with this gif.

>d20
>sci-fi
For what purpose?

>working on this instead of Pathfinder 2E

Who would in their right mind play this over Shadowrun, Warhammer or D:tD if they wanted a fantasy/sci-fi game?

d20 fantasy systems don't do well with adaptation unless they're almost completely rewritten (like M&M), and given Paizo's continuous incompetence in terms of good mechanics and game balance, Starfinder is very likely to be a crock of shit. Which will sell like hotcakes because Pathfinder fans have learned to love the taste of shit.

It's not that different from Spelljammer, is it? Just that with this the setting and rules are retarded.

Jesus, this.
I can't possible feel less excited.

>Galactic Ulfen Raiders
>Taldor IN SPACE
>Molthune and Nirmathas being a legitimate interstellar war

I'm not an edition war fag so I'm cool with this. Might be fun.

>which at least had its own setting

I thought all of d20 Modern's settings were swiped from Alternity

To be fair, most of the people who dislike Pathfinder aren't edition war faggots. They're people that dislike shoveling shit down their throats.

It's literally a setting book.

IT'S LITERALLY A SETTING BOOK.

There could not be less to be excited about since this is Pathfinder... in the same universe as Golarion... with the Technology Guide... and with existing races stated for the system.

Pathfinder has the worst gun rules, worst technology rules, and one of the worst rules systems in the market. The development team has done nothing good in years, and they have released such heavy errata to Pathfinder that this game is crock of shit in its inception.

So, Power-armored Marine can fight Orcs and Dragons in an even field, but can he do the same against a Wizard?

I don't know, might be neat. I have up Pathfinder a long time ago but pretty familiar with it.

I have other books to scratch my Space Opera itch like Eclipse Phase or Mindjammer. I'll be interested in this strictly for concepts and ideas, see where they take it.

Eclipse Phase is very much not Space Opera. Space Opera isn't even science fiction, it's fantasy in space.

Literally a setting book, except for the fact that it will have all new classes, new races, new magic systems, and almost certainly new technology/gun systems.

Just because it's cross-compatible doesn't mean it won't be new. I'm smelling more like WoD.

>new magic systems

Source?

>new classes
In setting books. Also, generally shit.
>new races
In setting books. Also, generally equal parts cringe and meme.
>new magic systems
More likely, just new spells. In setting books, regardless.
>new technology/gun systems
In setting books. Also, generally shit.

>I'm in a thread for a system I don't like
No one is forcing you to play things.

"Into the trash" memes are also shit and cringe, and belong on /v/ and /pol/. Or

Are you so scared about people disagreeing with you that you'd censor all criticism? Go back to fucking RPG.net.

maybe if he's like some kinda Mage Marine?

>le you can't handle critisims maymay :^)

Yes yes, I know all those nasty people around liking things you don't like is just so frustration isn't it? You should go rant about them on your tumblr

You're not criticizing, you're bitching. I don't go into the Warhammer threads and talk about how shitty Warhammer is. Take your shitty memes somewhere else.

Do you even know what a setting book is? You should, Paizo has printed like 50 of them for Pathfinder already.

Remember Occult Adventures? The one with new classes, a "new" magic system, and new items that were totally not magic items that ended up being magic items?

Also, from the website here's the example races/classes: android assassin, ratfolk mechanic, and lashunta technomancer. Literally one of those is new. I'm sensing Edge of Empire versus Age of Rebellion here.

Holy shit, they even have "Starfinder Adventure Paths" and probably plan on Startinder society. This is such a copy/paste cash grab... And it will probably work on shitty Pathfinder fans.

Enjoy Pathfinder with its worst rules highlighted and the OGL curtailed.

I'm not who you replied to. Surprise, the majority of Veeky Forums thinks Pathfinder is shit, including those that play it. And gasp, someone else brought up the same points I did.

Yeah it kinda just like they're mostly branching out on the stuff from Distant Worlds and the Tech guide to make Spelljammer: Pathfinder Edition

Don't forget that Pathfinder... IN SPACE is already a book, too.

No one is forcing you to play Pathfinder. This might be shocking, but there are people who enjoy things that you don't.

Remember back when Veeky Forums talked about games they enjoyed more than they bitched about ones they don't?

Yeah, me neither, but part of me likes to think it happened once upon a time.

>Pathfinder 2E
They can't. Their business model is clinging onto the nostalgiafags until they die, then close shop.
This is amazingly underwhelming yeah.

My gaming group is. All they want to do is play Pathfinder over and over rather than any other system. Instead of playing Dungeons: the Dragoning or Shadowrun which I've shown an interest in and multiple players know/have the books for, they'll probably rather want to play this hot garbage instead.

Well, that's because Warhammer's dead, bro.

Not completely true, given the saturation of the market and the number of groups that just doggedly refuse to learn new games. I've seen a couple and always hear the horror stories of groups that feel like they've spent so much time/effort/money on Pathfinder, that they simply don't want to learn a new system. Hence the existence of Pathfinder, to be honest. As well as things like d20 Star Wars, Mutants and Masterminds, etc.

A lot of people hate change, and for some groups, this means they end up shackled to Pathfinder for all of their campaigns.

If you're into this sort of stuff, there are plenty of games to support it like Mini Six or OVA. Then you got (literally) Space Opera RPG or Mindjammer. Stars Without Number is kinda neat if you don't wanna venture from d20. Oh, and The Void, basically Call of Cthulhu in space.

>They can't. Their business model is clinging onto the nostalgiafags until they die, then close shop.
Actually, the reason they can't is because they've tied themselves so strongly to intercompatibility and using Pathfinder Society Organized Play as an entrypoint into their system and part of their business model. You can see them trying to get around this with stuff like Unchained, which is essentially Pathfinder 2e, but still completely compatible with existing Pathfinder products.

No one is fucking forcing you. If you honestly cannot stand Pathfinder and your friends refuse to play anything else, you are not being forced to play. You can very easily get your gaming fix elsewhere. Find or make a Gamefinder thread. Post on Roll20. Look around on Reddit. Join an IRC. Use a store locator and see what other people are running. Or if all else fails, step up and run the game yourself.
The absolute worst part of the tabletop gaming community is people who bitch that no one plays what they want.

Like I said in the first post: I don't care for Pathfinder but I don't hate it. My friend is at PaizoCon right now, but I've never felt like she was forcing me to play whenever she invites me to PFS.

>Mindjammer
I never found the PDFs for that but I hear the system is unplayable.

Search me as to why. It's just FATE with a heavy sci-fi setting steeped in shades of Star Trek, 40k, and anything else you can tap into.

I'll give it a month after their first AP before everyone forgets about it, like with Occult Adventures and Technology rules.

>defending unchained
You do realize this is Pathfinder 2.0, right? It will have it's own Starfinder Society, Starfinder Adventure Paths, and block out a lot of OGL.

This is Paizo knowing they lose too much to 5e, so they are trying to shift their base to a more profitable enterprise whose strongest competition is FFG Star Wars.

My first thought was "Why would you ever want to use Pathfinder rules to play a sci-fi game?" and then I realized "Why would you ever want to use Pathfinder rules to play a fantasy adventure game?" and suddenly it all made sense.

I expect it will be a smash hit. RPG of the year.

>and then I realized "Why would you ever want to use Pathfinder rules to play a fantasy adventure game?"
It's the most popular system.

*was* the most popular system.

>>defending unchained
Holy fuck will you grow up? So much as mentioning something is now "DEFENDING" it. I've never even played Unchained classes. It is literally impossible to talk about Pathfinder without you whiny pissbabies jumping into the conversation to say how much it sucks. People who spend all their time bitching about games they hate is literally one of the most annoying things I've ever experienced.

>People who spend all their time bitching about games they hate
>Pathfinder

it must be so weird to live in a world without even a shred of irony

If you need a safe space the new Starfinder forum has all the Paizo drones on their knees.

>step up and run the game yourself.
And have them say, "But... I don't wanna have to learn a new system, let's just play it in Pathfinder!"

I know you don't have any friends, user, but some people actually do want to play with theirs. Even if it means dealing with one of the shittiest RPGs you can play.

>whose strongest competition is FFG Star Wars
And even then, it's less about the fact that the competition and Star Wars and more about the fact that there's no Organized Play equivalent to DnD Adventures and Pathfinder Society.

And even then, that was only a small period of time. 4E consistently outsold Pathfinder while it was still supported and books were coming out. It was only during the end of Essentials and pre-release of 5E that it was the best selling game.

>but some people actually do want to play with theirs. Even if it means dealing with one of the shittiest RPGs you can play.
This so much. I would prefer if my gaming group tried systems other than Pathfinder, but I love playing with them enough that I'm able to enjoy our games despite the janky system.

Dude, these are the same kinda people that still maintain that dbz is "the best anime". Do you really think they'll actually agree with anything else?

>And even then, that was only a small period of time. 4E consistently outsold Pathfinder while it was still supported and books were coming out. It was only during the end of Essentials and pre-release of 5E that it was the best selling game.

I'd have loved to have seen a proper 4e Spelljammer like how there was a 4e Dark Sun. They clearly had a handle on how to give the same game a different feel for different settings.

Well, you can kinda sorta get Spelljammer just in the printed materials for 4E, except more Fantasy based to keep it compatible with the rest of the cosmology. Sailing Astral Ships through the Astral Sea.

I'm not a fucking Paizo drone. Pathfinder is far from my favourite system. I'd be hard pressed to say I like it. But just once I'd like to be able to mention Pathfinder without someone jumping down my throat for "defending" something they don't like.
Being able to enjoy something that isn't the greatest thing ever is not some fatal flaw. Who gives a shit if people love shitty games? This board was founded on Warhammer and D&D. If "Pathfinder is not the worst thing ever" triggers you so much, maybe you need a safe space.

I have been in many gaming groups and none of them have wanted to do everything in only one system, even the ones that I found on specific system oriented IRC channels. Even then, the people who do have preferred systems that they want to do everything in are either WoD 1e or Shadowrun.

>not a Paizo drone
If it walks like a duck...

They made PFS to sell books.

They can't outsell their new competition and thought they had a shot after taking the lead in the market. (By roll20 numbers alone they are losing a significant amount of the market)

So they make a new game taking their large market into a type of game with no real competition. They let 5e be D&D and the future of Pathfindwr is in Sci-fi.

Starfinder is Pathfinder 2.0, it is teie response to D&D 5e, it's a new edition that is being pitched as not a new edition by a change in setting.

It means Paizo sells a whole new set of core books without selling any new core fantasy books. It means selling new sci-fi adventures that don't compete against their current set of adventures.

Paizo is terrible at game design, but great at publishing. Anyone being fooled by their release of a new edition has a screw loose.

I haven't played Pathfinder in over a year. I don't love the system at all, and I could criticize it just as much as you do. Probably more reasonably and accurately, at that. If anything, I'm an Onyx Path drone. Even my PFS Venture Lieutenant friend who's off at Paizocon--who loves Pathfinder because she loves the setting clusterfuck of Golarion and the Pathfinder Society stories and the adventure paths, and Paizo as a company's method of minority inclusiveness by doing instead of saying--doesn't care for the system itself all that much.

Being able to enjoy a bad system does not mean I'm a Paizo Drone who worships Pathfinder and only plays that system. It means I'm a normal functioning human being who accepts that "fun" doesn't require a perfect system, as opposed to the embodiment of Veeky Forums autism.

All I wanted was to talk about Space Pathfinder without having people jump out of the woodwork to shit down my neck because "mite.b.cool" is apparently a passionate defense of LITERALLY the worst system ever.

Why do people keep calling this "Pathfinder 2.0"? It clearly isn't. It's just a side line. How can it be a radical new edition when they've explicitly said that it's compatible with the shit that exists? It's literally just some scifi based Pathfinder supplements with a different branding so they feel more comfortable selling non-Golarion stuff.

New editions are about the business and not the system.

Not the worst system ever, just the worst working system ever. Shit like FATAL and Cthulutech is literally unplayable as written, while Pathfinder is technically playable.

But it's not a new edition. A new edition updates and replaces the old one.

No it's not, stop being a whiny pissbaby. It's got problems, but it's perfectly servicable and does what it wants to decently. Your problems with the system are entirely of your own making, and you refuse to do anything other than bitch about things no one is forcing you to play.
Also, hey, CthulhuTech actually is the worst system I've ever played.

>Paizo as a company's method of minority inclusiveness by doing instead of saying

You mean the NPCs 90% defined as "this one is special because they're trans"!

Sounds a bit like White Star and Stars Without Number in OSR circles. That said I'll keep playing those systems as Pathfinder is not my thing. If there's any neat adventures or ideas I'll just nab them and toss into my system of choice instead.

>Mini Six
Mah nigga. Fantastic game, hoping the revision comes out soon.

Jesus Christ dude, Paizo announcing this means the flood of Pathfinder content *will* drop. If you have ever listened to what the Pathfinder fans say about a new edition, you'll know Paizo cannot make a new Pathfinder edition. It would be business suicide.

This is a way to sneak in a new edition, sell a lot of product now that their books are selling less, and keep their fans invested in their product.

No it's not in the most technical sense Pathfinder 2.0, but it is as close as possible to a new edition Paizo can get.

Also I read the blog, they said it is based in Pathfinder and set in Golarion 2020. They made no promise of 100% compatablity

YOU COULD HOMEBREW YOUR OWN SCI-FI SETTING WITH PATHFINDER RULES AND DOUBTLESS MANY PEOPLE ALREADY HAVE

FUCKING WHY BOTHER

WHY

Some people are lazy/uncreative and Paizo wants their money.

>money
>paying for goddamn pdfs
I know i am lazy but at least I do not spend my money on anything

So not Spelljammer at all then, got it.

What in the ever loving God is paizo doing? If I wanted scifi I would use shadowrun, not this husk of barely playable shit. What do I do? Full attack with my blaster? Still use plane shift as a veritable OHKO?

This has a lot more information.
knowdirectionpodcast.com/2016/05/paizocon-banquet-reveals-2017/

This makes it seem like they are literally changing none of the Pathfinder rules.

>Game evolved from the Pathfinder rules
>Pathfinder rules
Does anyone out there actually believe that Pathfinder isn't just D&D?

Spelljammer was more fantasy with space ships. This seems more actial sci-fi.

You and I have very different ideas of what "a new edition" would mean. They're not going to suddenly stop publishing Pathfinder and go all in with Starfinder. That would just be dumb. They'd alienate their core audience without a real back up audience.
>It'll be backward compatible, so you can still use all those Pathfinder RPG bestiaries, but will feature all sorts of new classes, races, equipment, and other elements uniquely suited to our far-future setting.

You can also grow your own food but people don't do that. There are people in this thread constantly talking about how they wish they could get a real Spelljammer update. You could even make your own RPG completely.

>Wanting to use Shadowrun for this
I've had fun in pathfinder. I've never had fun in Shadowrun. Shadowrun also isn't a space opera.

>This seems more actial sci-fi.
It's basically the same setting but focusing on the space parts. Golarion's solar system is fucking bonkers and "actual scifi" in the sense that it takes tropes from 50s pulp scifi instead of fantasy pulp. There's a planet of beautiful amazon space babes that ride giant tigers.

I'm still too traumatised by the party wizard plane shifting my character for disagreeing with him too much to trust paizo's ability to balance a space game.

>I've never had fun in Shadowrun.
Oh, so you have shit taste. I understand now.

They did, way back in the day. We had actual furfags and Touhou futa instead of /pol/ and /r9k/ posting back then too.

go2bed, paizo

>Space Opera isn't even science fiction, it's fantasy in space.
>muh hard sci-fi is the only real sci-fi

As a long time Pathfinder player I can't wait for cool ideas to be briefly mentioned as optional or tertiary and never expendable upon again and again and again.

You are the single most defensive person I have ever seen claim to only kinda like something - especially when this is literally a shitty setting book that will sold as a core rule book.

OMFG THEY MADE A D20 RIPOFF GAME

oh wait we've already done that

>I thought all of d20 Modern's settings were swiped from Alternity
Not all of them, and Alternity was/is a Wizards property anyway.

defend the empire, bongo

that's a good lad

-Not!Paizo

>> hard sci-fi
>> hard fiction
>> topkek

Collect greenbacks.

People can enjoy things you don't like.
It literally is fantasy in space, though. Some settings even have magic and wizards. "Science fiction" shouldn't just be about the trappings. Narratively it's all magic, but the way science fiction treats things and the way fantasy treats them is very different.

I'm defensive about something I only kinda like because people shitting on things is my pet peeve. Pathfinder, D&D, DmC: Devil May Cry, Bioshock Infinite, Marvel movies, hell, DC movies. I don't care how much you hate something, why bother ranting and raving about how much you hate it? Shit, I hate Shadowrun and I'm not going to rant and rave and tell people who are enjoying Shadowrun that they should stop playing Shadowrun, and the only time I'll tell someone not to play oWoD is if they're looking for a system. I don't care if someone is playing Call of Duty, no one needs you to come tell them that it's shit and they should stop having fun.

People can have fun with things that you don't like. You're not the Goddamned fun police.

Watch them somehow put caster supremacy in a a sci-fi game.

Hell, why not use this to do some R&D work for Pathfinder 2E.

Overhaul the action system (start with removing full attacks and immediate actions). Ditch archetypes and PrCs for something more like paragon paths and epic destinies. Overhaul the ability score and skill systems (fuck mod2 modifiers).

So much low hanging fruit.

>likes emo Dante and BvS
No wonder you can't take people not liking shit things.

If you like science fantasy play better games using the tropes

>Missing the point this hard
It's not even about "like". It's about being able to enjoy something. I haven't even seen BvS, but fuck me if I care to hear someone bitch about it.

>not calling out Biocuck Infishite

Is "b-but I don't even watch/play/etc that thing!" your only reply? This bait has become stale.

I haven't seen BvS. I've played "Biocuck Infishite" and DmC. I enjoyed them. I've also enjoyed playing Pathfinder. There are people enjoy That Thing You Hate right this very moment! You should go do something about it!