What's the most grimdark thing about 40k?

What's the most grimdark thing about 40k?

Other urls found in this thread:

wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Void_Whale
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lionel_Johnson
en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Lionel_Johnson#The_Dark_Angel_.281895.29
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

everything except the tau

That in the grim darkness of the year 40,000, we'll still fucking have threads about it.

Probably Krieg, which is also the most autistic planet and regiment in the Imperium.

Humanity would die without the Imperium

Big E and his current situation

That GW won't ever make a good ruleset with balanced armies.

>This is what the Corpse-Emperor's slaves really believe

>What's the most grimdark thing about 40k?

Cheribium.

They're cyborg babies.

I remember being shit scared of these things when i was just getting into it. There were some rule pages i didnt even turn to.

Found the heretic.

They're scary as hell. And it's truly unsettling how everyone's okay with being around them.

I've always been torn about whether I like Grimdark flavor A

>As shit as it is, 40k is the best possible world for humanity

Or flavor B of

>It was avoidable if humanity as a whole wasn't so retarded.

They posses a rather awesome kind of autism tho

a thousand pyskers killed every day because the Emperor said so.

I like to think its a mix. Many aspects of the Imperium are grim necessity but it's made worse by an often incompetent bureaucracy and nobles and a mostly stagnant Machine Cult

Oh, I agree. They and the Firstborn are probably my favorite regiments. I think 40K does them really well, because it would be really easy to accidentally make them too edgy, but they come across as more grim and sad than edgy.

Bullshit. War of Dark Revelations is one of the most grimdark battles in 40k.

The dark eldar and tyranids made it grimdark. Tau are fags, get over it.

Slaanesh and what happens when you die with no soul stone.

Not really. You couldn't have told that story with any other faction. It's the fact Tau are naive enough to find themselves in these situations that sets up the horror. You need shades of light to reinforce the darkness. Tau are one of the best factions for highlighting just how fucked things really are. Your asspain is blinding you to basic story telling.

Seconded

The trailer for DoW III

too bad the game will be multicolored and sparkling

Ugh, it looks like goddamn League of Legends. What happened to the dark and gritty look?

>inb4 daemonculaba

>most autistic
this needs explaining

>What happened to the dark and gritty look?

Yeah, what happened?

Its alpha you retarded mongrel

These are more or less pre-pre-alpha shots. Looking closely you can see models copy-pasted about just show how big fights will get.

I for one welcome IMPERIAL KNIGHTS!

They're explicitly stated to be vatgrown

>obsessed with one thing in life
>don't interact well with others
>have violent freak outs when confronted with things that threaten their worldview

Pretty clear cut, I think.

>this is what heretics actually believe

>kills things that threaten their worldview
FTFY

Thanks for the fix.

Your premise is so illogical it makes you sound feminine. The Dark Eldar do this all the time to everyone, the tau are nothing special. The Tyranids attack everyone all the time too, the tau are nothing special. If anything, the tau make it less grimdark because it is just humorous that they are so stupid. Therefore, it is not one of the most grimdark battles like you claimed.

This.

This should have been everyone's answer.

I always considered Life Eater virus bombardment induced Exterminatus totaly grimdark.

You know, like in Istvaan III, first we get a virus thar consumes all life in a matter of moments, decomposing it, then a single lance fired into the atmosphere ignites the gases that come from all the rotting biomas.

Basiacly if you survive the ultimate virus you will die in a firestorm, the fuel for which are the bodies of your fallen comerades.

Metal as fuck.

Just a guess, but I think he was talking about the ground floor that looks like it was cut and polished specifically for a rich woman's art decor kitchen. Also that suspicious rainbow over the chasm. Is this dawn of rainbow kitchens?

>Your premise is so illogical it makes you sound feminine.
Troll.

It's funny really because I actually agree with you otherwise despite being some MRA 'hurr durr all wemem r feminists' tard.

Feminine behavior is being spiteful in the face of logic rather than facing the embarrassment of an incorrect statement and letting it slip away. Since you are a sjw I will instruct you. Realizing women (hence feminine behaviors) are largely illogical is not a slight against them. It is a defense mechanism against more powerful adversaries. Men have strength and typically develop more direct tactics (like how I instruct you). Women are physically weaker and use mind games (just like you spite me because I hurt your feelings). This is not exclusive to gender but is a general rule, as with anything there are exceptions. Take your tumblr back to where it came from pls.

Volg

Enslavers. They're probably the most Lovecraftian thing in 40K. A race of trans-dimensional creatures that latch onto a hosts brain slowly devouring them and turning them into mindless thralls. The worst thing is that there's no stopping them and they caused the extinction of a unimaginably powerful race. If they took over a single hive city they would multiple endlessly, devour the emperor and erase all sentient life in the galaxy, it's happened before.

>Since you are a sjw
Nope. Fuck you you cunt.

>just like you spite me because I hurt your feelings
You're assuming I'm a women it seems. Wrong again.

>as with anything there are exceptions
Oh so you know that you're wrong.

>Take your tumblr back to where it came from pls.
Why would you even type the name of that hellhole?

I'm just calling you out on your bullshit. Women aren't illogical because you don't understand them or they manage to trick you. Nope that means that you're stupid. Also there was just no reason to bring femininity into your statement; you just used it to make a dig at women so you can feel better about not keeping their attention.

How do you function IRL with this level of autism?

The Beksinski-inspired imagery was fucking great

That picture isn't even from 40k you mongoloid.

Literally Google 'Enslavers 40k' and this is the first result.

It's rabid fans.

>Every warzone in the galaxy can only look like Stalingrad or a level from Doom

For me personally? The part that everyone forgets: that there are normal worlds out there.

The empire works the way a Cray supercomputer salvaged from a junkyard, held together with tape, and made to run Doom works: badly, but sometimes the textures actually load correctly and your gun works.

Sometimes there are worlds where nothing bad happens. People have lives and families and make prayers to the Emperor. People don't know about the Warp or about xenos or that the only thing standing in between them and unfathomable pain and madness is a husk nourished by a thousand souls every day, who are systematically culled from among their own.

We only here about these planets in the fluff when they get destroyed.

Imagine living there. Imagine having a life and family and praying to the Emperor, just because that's what you do.

Imagine the day when you look up and see the sky tearing open, and through it-

Most of 40k is so hilariously over the top that it doesn't bother me. But there are bits that make me sick to think about.

That's the main one.

Not sure...but I'd say the Gray Knights stand as the most Grimbright of the setting.

They fight an unwinnable war and they know it. They have the best equipment, the best training, and are the only ones resistant enough to their enemy's power to deal with many of the greatest threats, but at what cost? They have almost no identity of their own, nothing of their past life, and have no desires or goals beyond dieing for the Emperor, to the point where they hate being entombed as a dreadnought because it delays their death.

They take part in some of the worst atrocities this side of the Night Haunters not because they want to, but because not doing so would mean the loss of an entire sector instead of the depopulation of one world. They are what should be the shining beacon that protects the Imperium, but instead they just cast the darkest shadow.

The fact that I trying to protect humanity, the imperium has degenerated to the worst aspects of human history. To remove the stagnant corruption you would pretty much have to kill the adeptus everything.

Also the only afterlife is being stuck in the warp. The good news is that unless you are a psyker your personality will be ripped from you as you enter the sea of souls for rebirth, the bad news is that giant warp whales eat souls from the sea like plankton. Also against what the imperial cult says, the Emperor isn't in a position to save anyone.

>They take part in some of the worst atrocities this side of the Night Haunters not because they want to, but because not doing so would mean the loss of an entire sector instead of the depopulation of one world
So they would have us believe, anyway. But, just what happens to all those innocent souls they murder? Where do they go? Which Chaos God feeds upon them?

Tl;dr - who do the Grey Knights REALLY serve?

The Grey Knights serve the God-Emperor of Mankind. To suggest or say otherwise is Heresy worthy of Exterminatus.

I dig it but you are looking for nobledark not grimbright. Noble applies to the characters struggling for something greater whereas bright means they can impact the setting and change its course.
Grim is the characters becoming just more meat for the grinder and dark means that no matter how hard you fight or how great the obstacle you just end up as a corpse in the next trench in an uncaring universe.

Another example of nobledark would be Berserk as Guts continues to struggle against causality itself as a bironic hero but ultimately is unable to overcome fate.

Come get me, then, and see what gifts I have for you. Servant.

Oh noes. The non existent chaos god is mad. What ever shall I do? Why don't you have Horus make some hot coco for you in the plain of nonexistence.

>there's no stopping them
Git gud, skrub

The fact that I'll never live in it.

the meta grimdark is that we could have had an awesome 30K universe by now if hitler won, whites got their shit together and exterminated all non-white races in an apocalyptic global race war (asians wouldn't inhibit tech growth, though but are the arch competitors for world dominance)

Sons of Malice have their homeworld back, user; and they know EXACTLY who they work for.
But, do keep repeating what you are told to repeat, like a good boy.

Fucking moron

All it takes to stop them is to train your Psykers to not think about them orb e retarded with their powers. Those specifically being the things that allegedly wiped out the Old Ones instead of the countless other immaterial horrors that would have spawned is retarded.

necrons BTFO by enslavers!

>>>/reddit/

>he doesn't want to live in the grim darkness of the far future with his waifu

>The good news is that unless you are a psyker your personality will be ripped from you as you enter the sea of souls for rebirth, the bad news is that giant warp whales eat souls from the sea like plankton

Where is that sourced at all?

Do you even 40k, bro?
Tho, psykers get BTFO too.

Prove it fagtron

Moon sized Daemonic Warp Whales are canon. Space Wolves killed one once. I don't know if they gobble souls like that though.

I honestly have never picked up a warhammer book and couldn't care less about it.

You're just a fucking moron.

wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Void_Whale

>Space Wolves killed one once
Based space wolves

Which, of course, explains why you are here shitposting, faggot.

if you lead a good life, the chaos gods can make you reborn.

I think I explained myself well enough.

The life of the average imperium citizen of course

It's still not from 40k, nor are those Enslavers.

‘One unbreakable shield against the coming darkness,
One last blade, forged in defiance of fate.
Let them be my legacy to the galaxy I conquered,
And my final gift to the species I failed.’
— Inscription upon the Arcus Daemonica, attributed to the Emperor of Mankind

>He heard a vast sound, roaring like thunder, before it died away. A sensation of falling overtook him. He passed through, rolling into nothingness. It went dark, and everything stopped.
>Then there was something like light, and something like time.
>In his last moments, Telach knew he had destroyed it. He knew that because the world of Shardenus had gone. The entire universe had gone. In its place was a shifting, swaying abyss of infinite possibility. He didn’t see it – he had no eyes left to see anything – but it persisted before him. He had awareness still, a measure of sentience, but nothing else.
>For a moment, it was staggeringly beautiful. He drifted amid its primordial majesty like a pearl tumbling across the face of the ocean.
>Then they came for him, howling out of the depths. He had frustrated them, and he was adrift in their realm.
>In its last seconds of existence, the soul that had been Telach knew what fate awaited it. It was exposed. It would be consumed, and its agonies would be as infinite as the pleasures of those that feasted upon it. But just then, for a fragment of what passed for time in that place, before the neverborn swam up out of the seething face of eternity to feed, it basked in the fading knowledge of what it had done.

That's the canon fate of a Librarian, after he died bravely for the Emperor.

>Any 40k warzone looking like the stage of a Food Network tv show.

Sounds great!

>any battlefield with Craftworld Eldar on it not looking like the San Francisco Pride Parade

>Fuck you you cunt.

Look at that crybaby.

>kreiger erotica
well, that was unpleasant.

I think you're thinking of the Emperor's palace. You know he chose the homosexual Lion El'Jonson as his first primarch for a reason right? In the imperium it is gay first.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lionel_Johnson

en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Lionel_Johnson#The_Dark_Angel_.281895.29

Craftworld Eldar armies are canonically a series of bright primary colors, dildo helmets, and jewellery. These are canon, as Aspect Warriors always wear the same main colors.

Nothing Imperial is ever quite as colorful as literally anything the Eldar put out. It's their thing.

Deal with it.

I know it hurts. You're never going to read the space marine codex the same again. All that talk about gene seed and sharing it with other men, now you find your primarch is gay which means your finest warriors are created out of gay seed. You have my deepest sympathies.

>What's the most grimdark thing about 40k?

this

Yeah, the warp/afterlife is the worst part. All life with a soul needs it to exist, but the second you die your soul is torn apart by unimaginable horrors. Not just that, but as you live every thought you have, every emotion you feel, feeds into the warp. Even the positive thoughts and emotions feed the Chaos Gods, who in turn seek to conquer the material world and make the nightmarish fate of the soul the reality for the living. To destroy them, and to destroy the warp, would be to destroy all sentient life with a soul.

There's no winning. If you die, you are obliterated in the most painful way. As you live, you proliferate the greatest threat to all life. If you fight against this threat, you know victory is impossible because it would mean nonexistence for almost every living thing. Your only option is to endure until you can be wiped from existence or reborn to repeat the pattern over again.

Cherubim.

Dead babies turned into servitors.

The fact that there are so very few in the universe whose gene-seed is that of Roboute Guilliman, and as such most beings must live in shame and jealousy of the Ultramarines.

didn't used to be

Matt Ward pls go

My god, Kriegsmen have LEARNED AUTISM. Not genetic, LEARNED. They have autism NURTURED into them instead of it being NATURE. This is fucking depressing. They're fucking depressing. I need a hug. And a gasmask.

I think you appear to be confused. Space marines are almost always made of a variety of different bright colors. They also vary based on unit type with different regiments often having at least slightly, though many times completely different color combinations. If you are talking about imperial guard, they don't have any special uniforms because they are essentially worthless soldiers that only live for on average 5 hours into combat.