We all know and hate edge, but I feel in our hate we have allowed something almost as heinous to go unpunished...

We all know and hate edge, but I feel in our hate we have allowed something almost as heinous to go unpunished. The opposite of edge: smooth, pillowy feeling... ??
I don't know what to call it, but ITT we share stories of people going polar opposite of Edgemaster by being overly friendly, sympathetic, or heroic.
>Group is running away with a decent lead
>Hero decides to "buy time."
>Absolutely no need, but won't be talked out of it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qN80_7rNmcE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

a martyr complex?

OP here
Christ, I remember a perfect example. I was playing in a game where the resident That Guy had made yet another character. This one was based off some goddess character in an anime, I don't know, but he said that she was built to be an assassin, and her profession was assassin. I thought this be his normal edge character, until his character and mine (an apathetic thief who was slowly being turned into rage incarnate by the shit dm's antics) ended up in the same grouping. Our first encounter he shut up and let me talk our way into a ruin that was being inhabited by some less than friendly warforged. The moment we go through the door it slams behind us, and suddenly we are surrounded by warforged. Adter some terse negotiations they make it clear they want us gone, but as we need something from in the ruins Im still discussing it. Despite several clear warnings to not move, dickhead decides to walk past tjem to look around the room. Combat ensues, and I end up behind a warforged, in prime position to shove my sword as far up his excuse for an ass as I can.

Dickhead, it should be noted, has not done anything remotely helpful in this fight he started (literally walked around ignoring the fight and being ignored in turn) but decides now is the time for action. As I call my attack he asks the gm if he can interrupt my attack by pushing me down. Several very strange rolls later the wardorged is minus half a head, dickhead is sprawled on me, and somehow there's a knife in my kidney.
>Why are you attacking them?!
"Why are we attacking the laser shooting robots that are shooting lasers at us? Because self-defense is a thing."
>They were just defending themselves!
"Uh, no, they attacked us after *you* ignored their warning to not move. Why do you care any way, I thoight you were an assassin?"
>Yeah, I am, but I only kill my targets. I hate violence. Violence is awful.

One of my PCs is exactly that. In a brutal Industrial Revolution setting where the continent is politically breaking down, he plays a selfless, virtuous, infinitely merciful and compassionate government leader. Very frustrating, as he's constantly taking the moral high ground against literally everyone.

As the gm you are punishing the shit out of him, right? He gets the love of the people, sure, but everyone else who is cutting corners and doing dirty shit are getting numerical advantages against him.

>An assassin hates violence

Have you considered a career change, m8?

I cringed

If they're really into poisoning peoples' food, or something, I can sort of see it.

I you could call them pillowlords or something. I was in a game with a guy who eventually left the group due to conflict with our edgelord, and he was the fluffiest nicest, most goddamn ineffective character at everything. We were dimension hopping and gearing up for a final showdown with some evil group I can't remember, and he literally decided we needed some child altar boys or something to help inspire the troops, and promptly got mad when said child died in combat. In the middle of a war zone during active combat between supernatural entities some of which were very heavily armed with modern or better technology. I hate shiny happy nothing goes wrong just as much as I hate edgelord mcedgeingson

Oh it gets worse, but this isn't a That Guy thread so I'll refrain. You get my point though. Opposite of edge, but just as hated.

Different game different group, had a barbarian who would nonlethally knock out monsters and then attempt to drag them back to our town. The quesrion of what he would do as far as providing basic needs for his new pets never got answered because they all mysteriously died. Of the 7 he tried it with, I know I andanother player were responsible for two, and another two managed to escape om their own. I never did figure out who else did it, but the player blamed me mostly I think.

>On a scale of edgelord to pillowlord, how retarded was he?
I like it.

How dare he play a character that isn't a scheming cunt!

Sounds like a great guy.

ITT: That guys angry about people not being assholes, making them look even worse then usual.

An assassin who hates violence is a perfectly fine character idea. However, being a shit faggot who puts his team in danger through retard actions is not. Kill him with fire, OP.

Isn't that just not being a boring "ima stab everybody in Ta back" character? Not everyone in that setting has BE the setting, just screw him over more than the other players or something

I did this once in a Pathfinder game.
>Play wizard character
>Not a badass Gandalf-like figure
>Literally just a student at the capitol city's magic-academy
>Literally assigned to the party because I joined the campaign late and they had earned a favor from the local lord. Party needs someone to read magical writing on some ruins, lord tells the magic academy to send me along with them
>Literally playing a bookish elf boy who has never fought anything in his life, even Harry Potter has more balls. I'm Neville Longbottom without the pudge.
>So naive that I almost in our first bandit encounter because I try to talk them down instead of attacking with everyone else

Most of the first few game sessions involved me almost dying... alot... but eventually the character started to toughen up a little and become less naive and it actually made for some really good character development. Never did completely lose the soft side though, I was usually the one persuading the party to spare enemies that fled from us or surrendered before things became lethal.

This was fantastic. I love players like this, because I can put their tits through a wringer. As the DM, I actually caused a party fight when the love interest cheated on the party's sunny, all-loving Cleric with the Chaotic Sorcerer.

Why? "I'm sorry...But you just made it SO EASY."

And then the fight was on, and he never trusted any female NPC again.

you sound like a great player.

also, witnessed

Underrated post.
Seriously I haven't seen a worse thread in a while.

One player in our group is something like that, in that he avoids all kind of personal conflict, always staying neutral. I try to have fun with it, constantly putting him on the spot, and then watching as he tries to get out of it without choosing sides.

Literally the only right way to play wizards. So sick of all the "Hurrdurr I'm an all-powerful reality-bending god" flavor of wizards. Playing them like the flawed geek, the nerd, the scientist... all that is perfectly fine and leagues more interesting as a character. Of course I suppose the "flaws" part doesn't fit in with the power-fantasy most basement-dwelling munchkins think their "intelligence" entitles them to when playing a wizard.

youtube.com/watch?v=qN80_7rNmcE

>flawed geek, the nerd, the scientist... all that is perfectly fine and leagues more interesting as a character.
Everyone I have ever seen playing a wizard/magic caster roleplayed them like that, not sure I understand your adoration, IMO that's a pretty boring and stale trope. What do you even mean by "Hurrdurr I'm an all-powerful reality-bending god"?

I don't hate edge, I love edge.

Edgy characters are the cutest when they're in love

It depends on the group and the game. Some games you're all trying to just have fun wacky adventures and play a ragtag bunch of misfits getting up to hijinks and saving the day through the power of friendship, other games you want a grim band of grizzled mercenaries fighting only for coin in a dark world, and most of the time you want something in between. In the grim mercenaries game the pink haired fat chick who insists on playing a plucky catgirl and writes My Little Pony/Steven Universe crossover fanfiction is That Guy, in the other game the fedora-tipping edgelord who insists on playing Coldsteel the Hodgeheg and brings his katana to the game is that guy.
>inb4 both are that guy in both games
I'm exaggerating deliberately to get my point across, don't be pedantic. One is at least playing an appropriate character for that game.

>Unmasked

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I'm playing a carefree conman sorceror in 5e. When he is no thinking or working on how to scam someone, he likes to sit in the open and feel the wind in his face or hear the song of the birds, and in combat he's either ignored by enemies enterely or fucking up spells and causing indirect damage, he caused a forest fire while fighting some gryphon riders, who then flew into the flames

Probably samefaggin, but I'll bite. There is a difference between not being an asshole, and being such a saint that people can't stand you. And as always, if you don't like a thread, move on. Go tell the questors to go to their own board or something.

You can call it a trope but really that's what wizards are. They spend their life studying to learn the formulas they cast spells with, ans spend hours refreshing their memorized spells so they don't carry a 1 instead of a 2 and blow their nose off their face. The reality bending god is a perversion of the class. It would be like if you played a fighter who never trained, he was just naturally gifted. Or a barbarian who never raged, he just had a Wanted style adrenaline mode. All viable, of course, but they go against the tradition and lore of the classes.

Nah, not same fagging. Anywho, I still see literally nothing wrong nothing wrong with someone playing goody two shoes. Unless it's a evil campaign!

If you're hating someone for playing a really good character that says a whole lot about yourself.

>Party takes a prisoner
>Edgelord wants to torture, interrogate, and then kill them
>Pillowlord wants to nurse them back to health, defend them from the party, and eventually let them go.
I'm all for having good people in the group, and I love me some heroics, but there comes a point when it's too much.

I don't understand this thread.

Cathartic?

The person who is playing the party mom in one of my campaigns is the best roleplayer I've ever met, but she once pissed off the DM by dedicating what was supposed to be an adventuring session to elaborately preparing and serving a meal to the party in intricate detail

>an edgelord is someone who plays edgy characters
>a pillowlord is someone who plays good characters who are fluffy and good-natured to the point where they are just as disruptive to the narrative as a edgelord
Someone who constantly gets the party in trouble by whining and trying the peaceful approach every time when they need to kill some baby-raping orcs and derails sessions with "comfy", or always acts like a goody-two-shoes ray of sunshine in a grimdark and unforgiving setting.

People here are saying such a character can't be bad just because it's a deviation from the norm, but I can say from experience that pillowlords can get on your nerves.

So basically captain america in civil war.

I haven't seen it yet, but basically Cap if he wasnt breaking necks every third scene. In Ultron they make fun of him for trying to police their language. Imagine Cap minus his tendency to murder the shit out of people and you've got a pillowlord.

That not Capt. being a pillowlord. In the final scene Iron Man wanted Bucky dead because he killed his family; while Capt. is trying to save Bucky not just out of principle, but also because it's the last thing he has left from his life before enlistment. He lost his family, his BritWaifu and nearly his best friend; you really think he was going to let it all go for crimes that Bucky was not responsible for?
Does it still count as spoilers? It's been out a month

>or acts like a goody-two-shoes ray of sunshine in a grimdark and unforgiving setting.

>Not wanting to be the sunlight
>Not wanting to be the one ray of warmth in a cold, dark world
>Not wanting to spread goodness through helping those who deserve it even when you suffer for it rather than being an edgelord
>Not fighting to help everyone live for one more day, if for no more reason than to tell the darkness to eat a dick
>Not being grossly incandescent

Theres being solaire and then theres being overly noblebright. Solaire at least had a driving force that encouraged him to be the good guy. Plus he was batshit insane lets not forget that(Everyone in darksouls is a nutter).

yeah, for real. Like, there's a lawful evil character in the forgotten realms books that's an assassin who only kills targets he's hired to kill. He's a really good character because he has some complexity, but he's also willing to put his ethics aside to get shit done.

The problem isn't the noblebright itself, though. The problem is when you're making a character that doesn't fit the setting, or when you're harming the party for the sake of behaving "in character", or trying to make yourself the start of the show.
>Plus he was batshit insane
Anyone who acts that cheerful and optimistic in a place like Lordran has to be. Doesn't make him any less based.

*star of the show

it's late okay

If you replaced noblebright with grimderp it'd be an argument for edgelord characters. I hope people understand the parallel.

I also thought up more good examples
>They were just defending themselves against us, we should spare them
>All life is precious, killing is wrong
>They're just monsters, they don't know any better!
>We should try reasoning with them first

>We all know and hate edge
No, not all of us. Just the uncomfortable nerds who don't like being reminded too much of themselves or want to dissociate themselves from things they know they're similar to.

>Hero decides to "buy time."
What in the fuck is wrong with that?

>overly friendly, sympathetic, or heroic.
WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THAT?

Roleplaying games began to simulate fucking heroics. We're playing out high fantasy. Just because you want to make some insipid, gritty video game experience for yourself doesn't mean that the people you're bitching about aren't actually playing RPG's as they should be.

You're the worst kind of player to have in a game... We're trying to create a cool story together, something that could work as a good film or novel, and then there's this fuckin guy who doesn't care for that stuff and plays with mechanical pragmatism, his only goal being to survive and accumulate XP

I have 2 long term shadowrun characters, both started as assassins, now are runners. One is the queen of edge, the other is the nicest murderer you have ever met. she goes out of her way, while still being reasonable, to make people at peace before they die. she once took an old mafia don out for a night on the town and took him around to his favorite locations around the city and killed him by injecting him with a painless poison in his sleep. and when she isnt running or doing wetwork she enjoys volunteering at soup kitchens or helping the homeless.

I dunno, I feel like you're the worst kind of person. Ignoring half of the text, jumping to conclusions, being this buttmad- it adds up to just a terrible person.
>Being *overly* heroic
As in, staging a last stand or giving a "tonight we done in hell" speech despite the odds looking pretty good.
>buying time ***despite a substantial lead***
You can English, right? There's no reason to buy more time than is needed if the cost is your damn life. At that point you're just feeding your martyr complex.
>insipid
Pretty sure what you described is closer to the word's actual meaning.

Reminds me of that scene in V for Vendetta. You know the one.

I think it's the OOC power-trip of playing a munchkin'd up caster blending into the roleplaying.

The only way to play a wizard is to abuse the fuck out of your cantrips but use nothing else.

You live a life dictated and controlled by memes. You are a sad nigger.

I sure don't see any memes in there.

literally every sentence tried to use a "you should know what this means" type phrase to explain their stance. that's memes, son

the first and fourth are real good for games.
The third is also pretty good for games, as it allows MONSTER ECOLOGY TIME, which is the best time.
The second is OK if you have a monk or something who's into that kind of thing, but that's a sometimes food.

Shadowrun is a good setting for having a complex character like that. It puts good people in shitty situations that make it tempting to get them to abandon their principles. Finding ways to keep them are half of the fun of playing the game.

The only one I can see is the "tonight we dine in Hell" quote he was using as an example.
So maybe you should look up the definition of a meme before posting.

he might be using the scientific definition of meme, which includes basically all of language

It appears the "dickhead" OP was talking about has found this thread.

Man, now that I'm on the topic, phrasing problems of monster attacks as a "WHY are they attacking" rather than "just kill them all" is really much more interesting.
More believable, too, as you can't really kill an ecology with like five dudes.

I mean, those hearty berries your merry band of adventurers just foraged might be the monster's eggs? They just happen to taste fruity and delicious!

I'm retarded, and I don't know why I used a question mark. x_x

No, I read the whole thing just fine.

>As in, staging a last stand or giving a "tonight we done in hell" speech despite the odds looking pretty good.
Yes, that is what I am referring to as well. It's fine.

Is it bad theatrics or melodrama that you have issue with? If so then just say that.

>You can English, right? There's no reason to buy more time than is needed if the cost is your damn life. At that point you're just feeding your martyr complex.
Interesting how you assume that someome must have misread your post to disagree with it - I find that endearing to say the least.

What I am saying is that the very thing you are describing - unnecessary heroics - is fine perfectly fine. Unnecessary acts of flavor are the heart of good RPG playing. If you're utterly pragmatic with your character's actions you're not only metagaming but you're defying the decided purpose of the RPG.

>Pretty sure what you described is closer to the word's actual meaning.
Then you don't understand the word.

This isn't pillowlording. This is playing a damn good character. Well done with that.

I'm just going to ignore becaise I put some thougjt into it and after rereading your post I noticed you're ok with edgelords. This thread is not for you, please hide it and be on your way. I saw recently there were a couple ninja quests on our board for aome reason, maybe you'll find those enjoyable.

>Uses sad nigger /pol/ meme
I didn't meme at all. Literally not a single meme in there.

Which somehow reminds me, Leeroy Jenkins is a good example of what the thread's about (if we ignore it was a mchinima)

You ain't slick

I know exactly what you're doing. You know you can't hang in an argument with me and you're trying to sidestep the whole thing now.

A real man is accountable. If he's being confronted on something he said he doesn't recoil and hide, he stands up for himself. Don't be pathetic.

>I saw recently there were a couple ninja quests on our board for some reason, maybe you'll find those enjoyable.

Probably would. I'm open to anything so long as it isn't overtly weird. If the players and GM are good then for the most part it doesn't fucking matter what is being played. I don't give a fuck if someone wants to be a ninja, or a martyr. Why should I?

Nah man, I just don't feel like conversing with someone who is ok with edgelords. Gonna level with you, didn't even read past the first couple of words once I figured out it was you again.

Gee, this reply would have really upset me if I was 13 years old. You're truly a master of your art

Violence is terrible. Sorry about that knife in your kidney

fuller

The opposite of edge is comfiness I suppose, when games aren't over the top and are friendly with a warm, cosy atmosphere. Ursula Le Guinn's Earthsea Quartet is a pretty comfy text by that definition, sure there's action and dragons and fighting but a lot of it is just people chilling out in cottages around fires sharing stories.

>Very frustrating, as he's constantly taking the moral high ground against literally everyone

I recommend learning from real life what happens when a socialist gets in power

people who like their money get angry

ITT: That Guys not realising that they are the disruptive element in a group that does not share their views

Being a That Guy is being the person who disrupts the group by refusing to compromise and follow the group tone and ethos

>Roleplaying games began to simulate fucking heroics. We're playing out high fantasy.

And genres evolve.

We aren't JUST playing out high fantasy any more, if we're playing WOD or Shadowrun or Traveller or WHFRP

RPGs can, and should, encompass every genre. Not just an outmoded concept of "heroic high fantasy"

Except most groups doesn't give a fuck about the things Veeky Forums is hung up on (which, at this point, seems to be just about anything with flavor).

You get in a session with regular, mature players and they won't give a fuck if you're playing a magic kender katana ninja with no parents who wants to die for a cause, all that matters is whether you yourself are a good player.

Hence the word "began".

And in any case what I originally said holds true: What makes most RPG's special is that you're building a story together. It doesn't have to be heroics, but what I'm saying is that bitching about heroics is incredibly stupid.

>If you're utterly pragmatic with your character's actions you're not only metagaming but you're defying the decided purpose of the RPG.

So if I play a character who flashes his dick at the king, who kills a shopkeeper, who pisses on a man's carpet it's good roleplaying?

After all, unnecessary acts of flavour are good, even if they disrupt the group dynamic. And if I wasn't being a moron I would be being pragmatic, and that's metagaming. Perhaps I might play a kender next, after all, stealing from the party is an act of flavour and I would HATE to defy the decided purpose of the RPG with anything like common sense or pragmatism

aaand this is the main reason people don't like edgelords right here.

yes, sheeple do tend to hate seeing their preconceptions challenged

>unironically using the word sheeple
topkek

dude, it happens. you hit a magical age or a certain bullshit threshold and BAM. calling people sheeple.

You usually grow out of that age at around 14, though.

Pillowpeasant has a better ring to it IMO.

He later went on (with a different character) to not only have a mimic turn into a waifu, but then become the champion of mimics and arrange for another pc to murder thr shit out of me. When asked what the actual fuck he said he didn't like that I was killing the mimics as they were just defending their territory. He disregarded that I had only been fighting in self defense, and that while I had killed maybe 5 the sorcerer literally killed 42. He was not fighting defensively and apparently mimics are verrry flamable.

I misread that as pillowpheasant. Gonna pretend I never read it correctly now.

>After all, unnecessary acts of flavour are good, even if they disrupt the group dynamic
Not only did I not say that but it's in direct conflict with what I said. You're being an idiot.