Would a setting in the Prince of Persia verse be cool?

Would a setting in the Prince of Persia verse be cool?

even the 2008 reboot?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FI2B7BYVa9E
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The original games had a good setting, though I only really remember the first two - and the first one was the good one. Just difficult ancient structures, traps, sand monsters, and big tittied supernatural bitches.

Especially the 2008 reboot.

It was pretty shitty gameplay-wise, but it flawlessly captured the spirit of a fairytale that Prince of Persia always was about, and the setting was fun. Shame Ubisoft canned PoP franchise and switched to soulless Assassin's Creed yearly releases.

Even more funny is that they tried to replicate the success of the Sands of Time trilogy by releasing the Forgotten Sands, and the only acceptable version of Forgotten Sands ended up to be the Wii one.

I'm always in favor of fantasical Arabian Nights style settings.

Well seeing as they based it around Zoroastrianism, which is relatively rare in media, you can lift concepts from it wholesale and it'll feel fresh and nice.

I also liked the art style.

Shame we will never see a proper sequel and/or prequel, when the city of magic was in its golden age. It's a shame that PoP mainly deals with exploring the ruins when the shitty things have already happened.

But what a beautiful ruin it is. More ruins need to look comfy and gorgeous.

Only if there is no islam.

I don't think there ever was.

>even the 2008 reboot?
Shit nigga that was by far the best setting-wise

>It was pretty shitty gameplay-wise
Was it really? I thought it was average at worst, and the artstyle and setting redeemed what flaws it had

I found it pretty unimpressive on gameplay.
First off, was the nearly absent combat - it was a big and fun part of Sands of Time trilogy, but here it's just an occasional lame QTE.

Then, the jumping was too focused on following the fixed route through the area, no freedom to jump around and explore. Too fixed camera angles and very limited times to pause during the zone made it harder to admire all the nice landscaping. Focus on backtracking all the areas after getting the upgrades to get those last lights was annoying.

>My face when my rogue pc is based on 2008 version.

I swear I loved the hell out of this game. Really wished they had done more with the setting and story.

They had the dlc that reinforced just how badly you fucked everything up

Yea. and apparently a Gameboy game as well which continued the story further, which pissed me off. Dammit, wish they would bring back PoP and start a new story instead of rehashing the sands of time again. something new would be awesome.

Maybe one day when they're done whoring Assassin's Creed
I liked Connor and wish he'd gotten a sequel

Edward Kenway was the best.

> Dammit, wish they would bring back PoP and start a new story instead of rehashing the sands of time again
That's pretty much exactly what Forgotten Sands Wii is.
It has some of the best platforming in the entire PoP franchise, no Sands of Time, and very fairytale-ish plot reminiscent both of the original PoP game and the original PoP: Sands of Time.

Brotherhood was the peak of the AC franchise, in my opinion.
The gameplay wasn't spread out over a lot of different things, and Rome was a pretty good location for an AC game. It didn't have silly minigames, and you could completely focus on murderhobo-ing.
Also, a surprising lack of shitty tailing missions, and a lot of focus on "gauntlets" - Romulus crypts, tower scaling, assassination of district chiefs - you name it - which are the most fun part of AC, in my opinion.

Well the original would just be "a linear dungeon full of horrifying traps". If that's cool, then it's cool.

Sands of Time is probably one of the best games I've ever played, and you just made me feel like taking stuff out of it and run a game to my friends.

Word. And I love it for the dreamy, fairy tale atmosphere as much as for the gameplay. I wish more games could nail that vibe. I always thought there was a lot of potential for a Jack and the Beanstalk style game in the vein of SoT, with you scaling the giant's castle in the clouds.

> I wish more games could nail that vibe.
Way too many people want explanations for things. There is a core principle that a lot of authors don't understand - "there is no need to be original, as long as you are authentic", or, if applied to this particular statement - "there is no need to explain things, as long as you give hints to the audience to assume things about your setting".
Fairytales are all about that - letting your fantasy run wild.

Any recommendations for good novels that have a "feel" similar to Prince of Persia?

I used to read 1001 nights when I was little, as well as the old Sinbad retellings, and that shit was dope.

youtube.com/watch?v=FI2B7BYVa9E

Watch this, take notes

I've heard good things about one book called Throne of the Crescent Moon. Have not read it though.

>mfw the only experience I have with the PoP franchise is the DS tactics game

Honestly was pretty fun, and outside of Age of Empires was one of the first games I had to include Persia and India, and no European factions.