I've been doing my years re-play of Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, and I had a question about a particular clan...

I've been doing my years re-play of Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, and I had a question about a particular clan. Also, VtM thread, I guess.

The Nagaraja are cannibalistic out of necessity, because of their clan curse. Can they also subsist on animal flesh, just as regular vampires can usually make do with animal blood? I imagine it would be less looked down upon than the cannibalism, in comparison to regular vampires usually being looked down upon for trying to feed regularly on animals over humans. I remember reading that animal blood didn't taste as good as human blood to vampires, I wonder if the same would go for their flesh to Nagaraja.

I didn't have any good screenshots of Pisha, so here's some Damsel. Sorry the screenshot's a bit dark, not sure what's causing that, it looked brighter in-game.

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/Obsidian/status/659784786479738880?lang=en
theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/05/world-of-darkness-the-inside-story-mmo-ccp-white-wolf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I never understood what's the point of playing a vampire, if your character will be some pussy drinking animal blood. Nagarajah is even worse - you're playing a cannibal vampire, except he's eating exactly like a regular human. What the fuck, OP?

I... guess they can, OP, but you know, usual vampire schtick of "not tasting as good". If you want to avoid to go full cannibal, just remember that not every Nagaraja is Pisha. Your character can just break inside his local morgue to get some cruelty-free snacks.

Eating animals is normal human behavior.
The Nagaraja curse is explicitly that they must consume human flesh and like with "regular" vampires any other ingested sustenance just doesn't work.

Never played the Vampire tabletop is it any good?

There are two Vampire tabletops, Masquerade and Requiem. Masquerade is older and also shares the setting that the videogame has, but the rules are shitty. Requiem is newer with an entirely new setting (because of legal reasons), but the rules are massively cleaned up.

Half of your time spent playing Masquerade is discussing vampire laws and setting rules, and half of your time spent playing Requiem is listening to some guy tell you it's not as good as Masquerade.

So if I'm interested I should play Requiem and only play with people who aren't autists?

Correct, but that goes for any white wolf game
Unfortunately it attracts a lot of them, in search of Hambeast

You can also play Masquerade if you want the familiar setting, provided you have a good GM. The rules to Masquerade are broken, but not complex, so it's more up to having a GM that knows how to fix things whenever you play VtM.

If you're not a fan of metagaming definitely play Requiem over Masquerade because you pretty much HAVE to metagame in Masquerade unless your GM is extremely forgiving.

I've played both, they both work fine for new players.

Thanks I think I'll look for a pdf of Requiem and ask some of the few people I trust to play anything but Warhammer if their interested.

Get Vampire: The Requiem 2nd edition. 1st edition sucks.

If you have any other questions later on you can stop by the World of Darkness general, which is pretty much always available:

Huh, I guess that's fair, I was just wondering if there was any particular bit saying that they could substitute for raw, bloody animal flesh. Does it have to be raw? Could they eat cooked human flesh, if they wanted? It's kind of a disgusting thought, but that's cannibalism for you.

Legal reasons? I never heard about that, I'll have to look up what that's all about. I don't really follow tabletop that much, unfortunately. It's a hobby I'm trying to get into a bit.

I kind of like the thought of discussing all these dumb vampire rules, honestly. It might stall the game some, but it's kinda neat just trying to figure out how they'd make you act certain ways, or try to find loopholes to get around them in some fashion.

The flesh has to be fresh and raw. Necromantic rituals can preserve it though, like what Pisha does.

>legal reasons?
I'll spare you the trouble of looking it up:

Basically the original creator of Vampire: The Masquerade/World of Darkness, and all of the IP associated with it (the videogames, the card game, the original tabletop game, and the tv show), White Wolf, ended up selling the rights to their IP to CCP games to make a Vampire MMORPG and White Wolf ended up going out of business. The MMORPG tanked and CCP stopped caring about the IP they held.

Some White Wolf employees decide to form a new company, Onyx Path, and now have to actively pay CCP for the rights to Vampire/World of Darkness. Because buying the rights all out would cost too much, Onyx Path had to be careful about how much of the old IP they used, so they ended up saying "fuck it" and went for a full on reboot. CCP pretty much gave them no help what so ever and sat on the IP like a fat turd.

Now, last year Paradox Interactive bought the rights from CCP to EVERYTHING Vampire/World of Darkness related. Paradox reformed White Wolf even though Onyx Path was still around and basically kind of brushed aside Onyx Path while promoting a "true reboot of Vampire" that we still know nothing about.

>Paradox Interactive bought the rights from CCP
Which is good because Paradox is actually a competent publisher that has been on the business for a long time already unlike CCP that only cares for EVE.
It's not a big company but the situation is infinitely better than with CCP holding the rights.

Oh right, I imagine it was mentioned, I just didn't remember/wasn't paying attention.

Wow, that's a really shitty situation. I feel bad for White Wolf. Hopefully whatever Paradox comes up with is decent. To be fair though, it's kind of White Wolf's fault for selling their IP rights away for an MMO, of all things.

I'd heard of that VtM MMO project a while ago. Kind of relieved it never came to actual release, honestly. It would have been shit. It's kind of depressing how VtM:B is probably the first and only decent video game the license will ever see, and it wasn't even properly finished, fan patches had to do that work.

Oh don't get me wrong. It's amazing news for the Masquerade fans, but for the Requiem fans it's a sign of the end times.

There is just no way Onyx Path will be able to compete with Paradox's marketing team. Paradox already forced Onyx Path to change their brand name from New World of Darkness to Chronicles of Darkness so that they don't even try competing with Paradox's new "One World of Darkness" reboot.

Not to mention the fact that Bloodlines 2 has been teased ever since Paradox bought the IP. Bloodlines 2 has the potential to kill Requiem's user base by flooding Masquerade with new fans.

While it is nowhere near Bloodlines, Redemption isn't that bad. Check it out if you feel like it.
It's wonky, sure, but if you're into VtM you'd probably tolerate it.
>It would have been shit
Honestly CCP was probably the best option for it. VtM doesn't work as a sandbox and EVE proves that they know how to create a player driven MMO.
The management of the project was disastrous though so you are probably right in your assumption.

Exactly. How many bad games have PI even put out? It's not many. What we're likely to get out of them, based on my experience, is a WoD game that's a glitchy mess for the first 6 months and a genuine masterpiece that still receives new content years after release after 6 months

Maybe I just have MMO fatigue, but I just don't think a VtM MMO in general would work, is what I was sort of going for. Kind of sad we'll never see what would have come of it, but then again, maybe it's for the best that it died before it had a chance to disappoint, aside from people disappointed it'll never see the light of day.

As for Redemption, I looked into it, but honestly, it doesn't really jive with me. Just personal taste, I'm sure it's decent.

Have they actually been teasing Bloodlines 2? If anything comes of that, I truly hope that it doesn't turn out awful. I could honestly go for Bloodlines with a new coat of paint, and a slightly more modern setting.

Speaking of modern settings, it would be an absolute nightmare to follow the masquerade in a time where almost everyone has a smartphone.

Is this a thread for generic WoD lore questions? Because I've been wondering this for a while. Is there any official word on who or what Jesus is supposed to be in oWod cosmology? Like it's a bit strange since the setting is heavily biased towards assuming the abrahamic God exists, but they understandably leave Christianity more vague.

I read an Internet theory once that he was secretly Lucifer in disguise which makes A LOT of sense actually form what I know from skimming over the Demon fluff one time and is kind of hilarious, but that would also be pretty controversial I imagine. Also seems a little strange that an Antediluvian like Cappadocious would worship someone so mundane by accident.

twitter.com/Obsidian/status/659784786479738880?lang=en

There's this and also a few instances of Paradox responding to people asking for Bloodlines 2 with "ask White Wolf :)" on their Facebook page.

When you really think about it there's no reason why Paradox WOULDN'T make Bloodlines 2. That buyout was expensive, and Paradox specifically mentioned that they already have some new World of Darkness games in the works.

Well Requiem's setting is terrible.

>Nagaraja
Weakness: The Nagaraja require raw flesh in
addition to blood to survive. For every night a Nagaraja
goes without consuming flesh, he loses one cumulative
die from all his Physical dice pools. Eating one point
worth of flesh restores one die to these pools until the
vampire has “caught up.” A human body has 10 “flesh
points,” which work just like blood points: A Naga-
raja consuming one flesh point increases his blood pool
by one. Unlike blood points, however, taking a “flesh
point” from a vessel does one health level of unsoak-
able lethal damage to that vessel. The flesh the Naga-
raja consume must be relatively fresh, though not nec-
essarily “alive.” Indeed, some Nagaraja keep stores of
ritually preserved corpses in their havens. This weak-
ness does not allow them to eat food or consume other
liquids.

As a ST i simply wouldn't allow a Player to play one if they planned on not consuming human flesh. But if, in play, the necessity arose, i would say that 1 Blood Point in an Animal = 1 "Flesh Point".
Which would mean that they would have to devour, for example, either 20 Pounds of Dog Flesh, 40 Pounds of Boar, 4 small Birds or one Poisonous Snake.

And so kinda is Masquerade's because oWoD is gloriously bloated.
Either can be made to work if the GM knows their shit.

Well, there is Stellaris, and new direction they've taken for Crusader Kings is kinda shitty. I don't know what changes in the creative/development team occured in the past few years, but I'm not sure I like them.

I would just say to be careful about playing with Veeky Forums. There are some appalling people who colonise the general, and my experience with the WoD community here is part of the reason I don't play online very much.

This is a bit mixed up - new world of Darkness (Requiem, Forsaken, Changeling the Lost, Hunter the Vigil, etc.) predate the CCP buyout by quite a while. White Wolf made the descision to reboot the entire line because they needed to redo the rules and because closing off the ongoing metaplot storyline after years of millenarian angst had become a priority. By the end of the line sales weren't as good, the lore was getting pretty impenetrable for anyone who wasn't heavily invested. A fresh start was needed.

nWoD was never the cultural phenomenon that oWoD was, but part of that's because of changes in the RPG industry and nerd stuff in general. When White Wolf started their major competition was D&D type games, Goths were still a fairly new counterculture group, and the whole 90s hack the planet/fight the man/end of the world is nigh thing was a big deal with young people generally.

In terms of sales, nWoD actually did really well for an RPG, and depending on what metrics you use could actually be said to have outlasted oWoD. The problem is that it also came out just in time to get hit by the d20 boom and bust wrecking game shops so there were less outlets and the global financial crash causing print costs to rise dramatically at a time when people had less spare cash to buy luxury items like games (particularly when you had owod grogs saying the new edition was shit, even without looking it. I was one of them, to my shame). CCP bought out White Wolf in 2006, which kept them alive, but they also catastrophically mismanaged them to the point that there's just a rump that Paradox bought.

theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/05/world-of-darkness-the-inside-story-mmo-ccp-white-wolf

Oh good lord. How did I not know nWoD predated the buyout. I just remembered reading that oWoD didn't get major updates other than the 20th anniversary editions because Onyx Path struggled with getting full control of oWoD.

Helloween, is that you?

>new direction they've taken for Crusader Kings is kinda shitty
Could you expand on that?

>20 Pounds
>40 Pounds
That's an absolutely tremendous amount of flesh. A human (vampire) stomach would rupture before they were anywhere close.

No. Unless the have the merit Eat Food merit. Then they can. The flesh eating is because of a clan curse they eat the flesh so they can nourish the Vitae inside then.

>getting Eat Food so you don't have to eat people
>not getting it so you can
you're missing all the fun

I'm not really too familiar with VtM, but doesn't that only allow them to keep food down a little longer, before their body rejects it?

Also, Beckett's facial expressions always crack me up.

It's rather simple, really. You see, Crusader Kings after all these years is basically a complete game. All those DLCs added playable muslims, playable pagans, expanded upon hordes, upon Byzantium, every single piece of land except in-land Republics (so, those republics that are not Venice and Amalfi) and theocracies is now playable. But making land playable isn't enough for a complete game - so they've also added focuses for your characters, so your king can be a family man, a tactical genius, a manslut, businessman - good stuff.

So, now that the game is basically complete, they can't just stop producing patches and DLCs. It will stop bringing them money. So what do they do? They start adding shit that nobody asked for and fixing problems that never existed. The latest major patch that game with Conclave DLCs added some VERY controversial changes - shattered retreat and badboy. Shattered retreat turns whack-a-mole combay system up to eleven, because now the defeated party uncontrollably runs far away from combat - and runs very far indeed. I've personally seen an army retreating from France all the way to Kiev. But that's the silly part. The actually horrible part? They are completely invulnerable while retreating, so good luck finishing your opponent off.

Badboy is even more cancerous - it's a system the original development team made a concious choice to avoid, but it was added now for the reasons I've explained already. Basically, if the player starts expanding, his neighbours will form alliances against him for the next wars. Which leads to ridiculous situations like the Pope and Knights Templar defending kebab from french holy way, because Paradox coders are retards and couldn't bother thinking this shit through.

Good luck with that man.

The planned playercount for the upcoming V:TR game I'm in is me and two friends because A. All my other usuall suspects got butthurt at even the sniff of V:TR and B. We have so much trouble finding people outside our circle of friends (which is online as it is) to play games with.

Same happened with my Nosferatu PC only game. Thankfully that's evened out.

>Highest humanity Nos who grew up with a weird buddhist cult is basically an autist, wants to sow a 10 year old's mouth shut so she won't keep screaming at the three fugly house invaders putting coke under her dad's floorboards.

>You have the capacity to eat food and even savor its taste. While you cannot derive any nourishment from eating regular foods, this ability will serve you well in pretending to be human. Of course, you can't digest what you eat, and there will be some point during the evening when you have to heave it back up.

You'd be right there, doesn't let you actually devour anything but you can still eat people and throw them up later if your ST, for some reason, let you roll a character who would do such a thing.

IIRC you can keep the food down as long as necessary (by passing a pretty low Will check).
The thing is, you don't get the taste, for most "normal" vampires everything that isn't blood "tastes like ash". Eat Food isn't primarily about being able to digest it, but that you can feel the flavor and enjoy it.

>nightmare to follow the masquerade in a time where almost everyone has a smartphone.

The supernatural is not real citizen

>redemption
>not bad

pick one, redemption is a poorly done dungeon crawler, with shitty mechanics, very little good cherecters, and makes WoD look like a DnD seesion