ITT Ideas you really want to incorporate into a game but have yet to do so

ITT Ideas you really want to incorporate into a game but have yet to do so

I really like how each item in Dark Souls tells something about the setting, but can't think of a way to implement it in a tabletop game

Golems/Stands, but im unoriginal.

I ran a game once where the group was trying to figure out who the bbeg was so I gave little hints with weapons, armor, and treasure throughout the campaign. Most of the hints were historical linked so there's that.

Really want to incorporate my homebrew magic system but I'm terrible at system building. I also like the idea of physical repercussions for overusing magic.

Some kind of Prophet character in a Wasteland Setting. He would unconsciously sing songs during the adventure. Sleeping in the tent, swimming in the irradiated water, whatever. But in every song he sings an interpretation of the song comes true in the story.
I could only really see this happening when the party goes off to explore when they're camping somewhere. They come back to him half asleep singing to himself or doing chores around the camp before they go.

I really want to incorporate a multiverse into my setting, but I know how shit it will actually turn out.

I want to incorporate THE DREAD WIZARD ZARGOTHRAX.

In a probably unrelated note, I'd like to run a game with The Auditors as bad guys.

I'm in the vaporware stage of a homebrew based on food-magic. The idea is that each different type of cooking/dish gives you different attributes if you spend mana while making it. The breakdown would be something like this
>Means of Cooking
How the dish is cooked. This sort of sets the "power level" and determines speed/power.

>Stewed
Makes you super tanky, slow, but hard hitting (because stews take a long time to make but are super filling and can be cooked in large batches, etc.)
>Roasts/Grilled
Less tanky than stews but hits just as hard, faster as well. Think armored fighter rather than knight/paladin. (because roasts are filling and stick with you, but are quicker than stews to make)
>Baked
Still faster and a little less strong than roasts. Think monks, that sort of thing. (Because baked foods are leaner and tend to be quicker, though this is by no means a rule)
>Fried
Fastest, lightest. Think rogue/ranger, primarily DPS (because fried foods are filling, that is, do damage, but are also very quick and are traditionally cooked in a shallow pan)

This is by no means an exhaustive list, just the few that came to mind. Steaming will be in there somewhere, I think, but I'd have to nail that down.
>Seasoning
This is where a lot of choice comes in. The type of herbs and side dishes you use determine your "class" so a stew with dandelion, rosemary, and sage (for example, no idea if this would taste good) would create a paladin since all these have reputations as healing herbs that help digestion and other ailments. A fried dish with these same three herbs, on the other hand, would be more likely to make a cleric-type character. Using plants that were once poisonous (blanched nettle, potato leaves, etc.) in a fried dish might make a bard with hardcore debuffs, and in a roast could be a knight with poisoned blades, that sort of thing.

Obviously I haven't put a huge amount of thought into this, but I always liked weird magic systems. Thoughts?

Green for the NASDAQ. Whiskey for the NASDAQ. Hanging like the green that drops from the NASDAQ
The NASDAQ is afraid of green. I know, because I'm the NASDAQ. I'm afraid of green.
Brand new green for the NASDAQ like slavery.
Why does everyone scream in the NASDAQ?
It's a bonfire in the NASDAQ. I'm burning everything you put in the NASDAQ.
You know these rapper dudes work in the NASDAQ?
FUCK

Can't link it, but look up "Who will stop the worlds most evil dog?" from False Machine.

I'm currently working on a system based on the souls games. What I'm doing with items is having cards where one site is all the game information and the other one the lore. Players get the cards or images, depending on the format, and have them as long as the party has the item. When they get rid of the item, I take the card back. Players can take the bits and make out the story, and depending on where they go I set up the next bit of content.

The story reason is that the characters are cursed and coming across different items, places or people triggers the curse and let's them hear whispers, see images, whatever.

I like to think the descriptions are just the main character bullshitting, trying to fill in the holes in why the fuck things are the way they seem to be

I've already done rabbits, they're reskinned halflings in my setting.
Now I'm looking at whether or not a campaign centered around running an inn could be successful or at least entertaining.

>a campaign centered around running an inn
Yesssssssss
Especially if your players enjoy data crunching.
>You have 10 barrels of ale, 15 of wine, and 10 pigs left to slaughter for sausage, bacon, and hamsteaks
>each action costs x amount of time. There is a limited amount of time in the day
>you also have to manage the shop (buying bullshit from adventurers then hocking it and sending them out to get more, or on quests to deal with bandits that have been stealing your pigs/booze)
Would absolutely play.

I was actually thinking of letting players take a more active role in managing the inn. Improving the atmosphere, going hunting for ingredients, making sure important people who stay at the inn aren't bothered by undesirables, dealing with fires, robberies, competition, etc.
Basically a comfy inn simulator with some bits of adventure mixed in.

That is still one of the cutest things Veeky Forums has ever churned out.

This seems promising, user. Would you care to expand on the topic??

Something I'd like to do sometime is introduce a "Fellow" adventuring party who crosses paths with the PCs from time to time and they lend each other hands as necessary. Not, like, a party of DMPCs, but you know, a group of NPCs who the PCs sometimes work with, sometimes help out, and are sometimes helped out by, who they preferably come to like.

Then, late-game, they have a conflict of interest due to plot reasons and have to fight to the death.

Well it depends on what you'd like to know but I guess I can get into the actual cooking process.

The idea is that it all starts with good implements. This includes what you're cooking in (pots, pans, etc.) and what you're cooking with (stoves, fires, whisks, spatulas, etc.) These would have tiers (and maybe if I really got into it, bonuses and detriments similar to traditional weapon stats) such that a cast iron pan is really the best for fried dishes (and will give the best/most powerful effects) and the like. Better implements cost more money, and are harder to use, so you need the associated skill (eg teflon pan is easier than cast iron for an absolute beginner) They determine part of the "cap" for your skill level (total difference a dish can make to your stats. Better the implements, bigger the difference)
Next is ingredients. Same sort of idea as the implements, better ingredients cost more cash and take more skill to use properly (a $5 steak cooked well-done is no big deal, but tell Veeky Forums you didn't leave kobe beef at medium rare and they'll lose their shit) and grant greater effects when you cook with them, forming the other half of the stat boost/change cap. There are also broader effects associated with the type of ingredient.
>Meats
Effects how hard you hit and part of your health/stamina
>Carbs/Starches
The other half of health and stamina
>Veggies
Agility and dexterity, to a greater degree
>Herbs/Spices added
Act as modifiers and determine class, as mentioned in the previous post.

To keep players from just dumping everything in a pot and calling it a day, the greater number of ingredients mixed together, the more they dilute each other's effects, with some exceptions. So throwing together 20 ingredients won't make you 20 times better than cooking just one. It'll only give you 5% skill boosts in 20 things, rather than a 100% boost in one thing (as an example).
However, there are synergies possible. Idk if that's interesting tho

Especially good if the other adventuring party is another 3-5 players you've been meeting on the off days and you bring them together for this moment.

just read off the descriptive blurb when they pick up the item

It's pretty interesting, in fact. It reminds me somewhat of Monster Hunter, where certain combinations work better than others and the level of your kitty-cat chefs determine the percentage of bonuses.
This is good. Mind if I use it?

Look back to Basic D&D, and the like.

Most of the GMing advice in those days was that even though you're spending most of your time going from dungeon to dungeon and tomb to tomb, that you should make sure every location has an A plot and B plot.

The A plot is the adventure at hand, and usually revolves around killing monsters, rescuing someone, or acquiring a foozle.

The B plot has to do with the history of the location, or the history of the monsters, or some impending plot.

It works pretty well. Just make sure that every location HAS. A. PURPOSE.

And that you build on your lore towards something big and important that the players will care about.

A girl who fights be transforming into lovecraftian tentacle monster. Over time, she becomes less self centered and callow and more compassionate and kind.

Sadly, the systems my group is fond of would not be kind to such a concept. That's why I'm running games outside their comfort zone like GURPS, with the hope that one of them wants to try GMing it so I can try my character concept.

I want to implement full body awareness VR into my campaign but unfortunately I was born too early.

Makes more sense than the average financial broadcast.

I'm currently running an anti-party in a game.

While they have roughly the same moral inclinations, situation and the more hotblooded members of either party occasionally brings them into conflict.

So far, the anti-party's won every time because they actually coordinate their tactics

I had an idea for a small campaign centered around a gladiatorial arena lorded over by Statler and Waldorf. This would of course come with commentary about how much the combatants suck.

Please do. Better than it only ever existing in the back of my head, anyway. I've never played monster hunter, but I might take a look now.
>We who are about to die salute you
A little pessimistic these ones are, eh?
And what's with all the saluting? What are we, generals? Less arm waving and more killing already!
>make sure that every location HAS. A. PURPOSE.
Seconded. Once you've got a map roughed out, try to see if your story makes sense once you've taken certain stuff out. That's fluff, and while it can be nice, it should be heavily optional.

Hey, the one that just got an arrow through his head was a half-orc!
>Oh, that's interesting. What's the other half?
Dead!
DOHOHOHOHOHO
>DOHOHOHOHOHO

>they are all counterparts to the party members, opposite in methods and ideals yet similar enough to understand each other perfectly

>system based on the souls games

I've always wanted to have the party get ambushed by a rival adventuring party right as the exit the dungeon with all of their spells cast and weighted down by all of their loot. Naturally, the rivals would be weak to something that the players picked up in the dungeon, but most likely haven't identified yet and will only figure it out after the fact.

A race of slime humanoids who adore clothing and armor, and go from barely sentient to beyond-human intelligence the more clothes they wear and the longer they wear them

It's my magical realm, but I'm pretty sure it can pass for normal

Something like this

Is she can be described in terms like self centered or kind she's not lovecraftian. She just turns into a tentacle monster.

You could have the inn be mobile but very slow. Perhaps it is built into the shell of a giant gastropod?

I really want to do a survival/wilderness game incorporating elements of Monster Hunter. Tracking down beasts for supplies, and customizing gear and armor using monster parts.

I feel like the survival aspects would be tedious to track though, and coming up with a crafting system to use monster parts would be a bitch and a half.

the cards idea is cool, i like that a lot. not totally sold on doing it myself, but it sounds interesting.

Hmm...could justify it by saying the slimes naturally grow to fill their container, and magically adapt a form best suited for it.

So, for example, if you put a slime in a chest, it would form a golden colored shell on top to mimic treasure, and then try and eat and dissolve anyone who stuck a hand in.

Slimes lucky enough to wander into a set of clothes or a suit of armor will grow into human proportions, and magically adapt intelligence in order to better emulate a humanoid wearing clothing so that they could lure in others for consumption. However, the act of gaining intelligence would allow it to go beyond its base instinct and instead function properly.

I would love to see something slow burn and relaxed to do during the time between sessions. Like your own Paladin Order, Bard Troupe, Druid Grove, Clerics Church, Mages Tower, Fighters Guild. Basic stuff just to keep the interest up and make decisions on.

i'll admit it, i laughed

Just once, I want to play a cute magical girl doing slice of life things

Slavery and sapient equality wrt: demon summoning. Dull the edge, explore the funsies.

Also, I'd love to run a wuxia game.

>The players are nobles instead of your typical adventures.
>They all have those things a noble needs - wealth, land, a small personal army, etc.
>They all have sworn themselves to one of those wise of king types.
>That is, until the king dies.
>He's only son, a sickly boy with no inclination for rule, takes the throne.

>Will one of the players take advantage of the new, weak king to size the crown for himself?
>Who will the others side with?
>Can they work together to all get what they want?
>While they're at it, what are they gong to do about that magical taint seeping in from the east that has absolutely nothing to do with necromancy, I swear?

Slimes don't do anything (or too much) to me, but it actually might be a solid idea - with a wonderful possibilities to make your players very uncomfortable.
Starting with body horror to a realization, that all those mindless slimes in armors you've killed just needed more time. You've, essentially, killed a bunch of babies.
Maybe have a tiny slime civilization that consider it their duty to find young, unformed slimes and putting them into clothes.

I want to run a Magical Burst campaign (or any magical girl system, really) that doesn't devolve into magical girl operators operating operatively.
It will never happen, I know, but it's nice to dream.

Pre-industrial firearm mechanics that don't suck.

This may sound odd, but I want to run a completely mundane dungeon crawl.
Lately all campaigns eventually turn into courtly intrigues and similar social situations. For fucks sake, the last two sessions were nothing but the players picking gowns and suits for a royal ball.

I hadn't considered slimes growing to "fit" other things, but now that I think about it a society of slimes grown-to-order to fulfill the roles of laborers, livestock and even inanimate objects by an upper class of intelligent ones sounds interesting.

My idea was that they'd be too ravenous and dumb for more than a scarce few to survive long enough to get smarter than a toddler, but somewhere there's a progenitor hidden away that's lived for decades or even centuries, and it's become a hyper-intelligent abomination that forms a society all on its own, with different aspects of personality linked to the same hivemind.

Have them prepare for a session of courtly intrigue when it's actually in fact a dungeon crawl.

They receive a cordial invitation to a ball without realizing until the last minute it's being thrown by a lich lord and his undead courtiers in the depths of catacombs dressed up like a palace, where even the kobolds are in fine regalia.

just say they are like hermit crabs and need something to protect their fragile slime bodies with.

You really can't nowadays. If a player rolls his knowledge check and they FEEL information is withheld, it automatically makes you That GM

Try messing with them by stealing the plot of (and heavily quoting) mgs games

Real ass sandbox zombie apocalypse with an ongoing story that ends when the party wipes. Complete with resource tracking etc. Get to use my giant bag of glow in the dark zombie miniatures. Highly lethal, and characters start at a wedding across the country so they don't have any shit to start when the zombies rise. I guess they could have CCP but it would cost hem character points. They will all be basically average people.

>pile of glowing zombie minis
ahaha, i think i remember reading your post sometime last week about how youve nothing to do with them

Not quite true, I ran an encounter in my savage worlds streaming campaign where their crashed airship was mobbed by about 40 zombies. That was a fun encounter. But since then I've barely used them.

This is so creepy.
>you see this sword? I could've made it grow into something like you or me. But I shaped it into a sword.

You now have my attention.
>Transformer-level shapeshifting slimes

Have a group of dozens if not hundreds of cultists try to summon a orb of saltwater encompassing the capital city so that it can be inhabited easily by great old ones.