Could I run a Fallout game in a European locale...

Could I run a Fallout game in a European locale, or is 50s americana so integral to the setting that it just won't be Fallout anymore?

Maybe Fallout's distinctive cultural vibe could have been exported to Western Europa as a result of the Marshall Plan post-WWII, turning the post-apocalyptic world into a pastiche of recognizable stylistic elements from Fallout and, at the same time, distinctive European elements?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/43636589/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

50s Americana is one of the main themes of Fallout, so it wouldn't really be Fallout anymore. That and there's little to no lore to go on of anybody ever visiting Europe, even though there are working ships. Even then, stuff like super mutants and other mutated animals wouldn't be in, since they're a product of American FEV. It'd just be Threads but less bleak.

There'd be mutated animals. They were never canonically a result of FEV. There'd be robots and ghouls too.

Also Moriarty and Tenpenny in FO3 were both from Britain.

Have a look at Degenesis: Rebirth. Set in Europe, post-apoc societies, mutants, building stuff from scraps. It's about a virus causing the mutation though, not about nuclear war.

It's a meteor that does it. Virus came later.

Faggots will tell you you can't run it outside of America.

Ignore them.

Fallout 3 isn't exactly the best thing to use for canon though. Stuff like people knowing about or moving through the other side of the country through giant radiation storms unscathed, Jet existing in vaults and being used by inhabitants when it was made about a hundred years after the war, and other things don't exactly make it a good reference.

Do a Warsaw pact vault. They have tons of cool anti-nuke propaganda.

>This is the kind of man who posts things like "The next Fallout should be in Japan"

>little to no lore to go on
Seems like that just offers more wiggle room.

>Vaults
>Outside the US

Nice dubs. A lot more, really. Europe would be just about the only place that could still exist in Fallout, too. Asia's pretty much confirmed to be visibly destroyed from space according to some terminals and Africa and Australia post-nuke aren't really that different.

Not a vault-tec vault obviously. Just a nuke shelter run by the Party.

Multinationals are a thing.

>It's absolutely impossible that Fallout could ever take place in Japan under any circumstances

Instead of taking the American 50s flavour, take European imperial and aristocratic flavour and turn it up to 11

Tenpenny is one example.

If you wanted to visit eastern europe as well, you can capitalize on the russian mob vibe as well, even contrast them with each other:
Western style of classy looks and fine manners backed with perfidy, scheming and doublecrossing, while Eastern style is hideously exaggerated luxury backed with warm, boisterous joviality that can turn into ruthless, brutal violence at moment's notice.

considering it's canon anything owned by china got the most destroyed out of anything in the great war

kinda, yeah?

More like parallel projects, ala space race.

Or you could just make up a Vault-Tec Europe Division B.V. in Rotterdam or wherever, selling similar tech to governments and other institutions in the European hinterland.

It wouldn't be Fallout. Just make your own setting or play Degenesis.

>If the time scale does not take place in the games, then it cannot exist in the setting

Because you can give it 10,000 years after 2077, and Japan will still be destroyed.

Here's your (You)

To be honest, I kinda like the idea.

I mean, if Fallout's America is a pastiche of all things 50's America, then Fallout's Japan would be a pastiche of the heavily American-influenced 50's Japan mixed with popculture.

Switzerland would be a good place for this.
>Neutral
>Surrounded by mountains, possibly escaping the worst of the fallout
>Already developed a system of bunkers and vaults

The cool thing would be to make it "European" if you just play American Fallout with some European names, why to play in Europe to begin with?

Doushio

Then it would be A Canticle for Kurosawawitz, not Fallout.

It's a decent place for vaults, but not ideal for US multinationals looking to export products/materials.

Unless you call it Fallout and then it's Fallout. Todd made that clear.

>50s Japan
What does 50s Japan culturally have anyway? Isn't it considered an era of reconstruction, scars from WW2, and political backstabbing between pro-Imperial and anti-Imperial political groups?

I'd try to take more influence from 80s Japan; the US using it as a base to attack China resulting in heavily armed zaibatsus getting power, and more electronics development means the tech looks more 80s than the 50s America has.

And if you want to put in super mutants, then they could have been working on their own variant of the FEV that, after the Great War, produced 'oni' that attack people with clubs and stuff.

>if you just play American Fallout with some European names, why to play in Europe to begin with?
hence:
>a pastiche of recognizable stylistic elements from Fallout and, at the same time, distinctive European elements
You illiterate pleb.

Vault-Tec wasn't exactly run by the most open minds when it comes to foreign countries.

We played a Fallout game in London, swap the 50's Americana with the post-war England style.

It was quite fun and pretty cool, DM even created a neat plot where militant Frenchies were invading via the channel tunnel, and King Arthur (one of the party rolled randomly for) returned to save England in its time of need.

>Isn't it considered an era of reconstruction, scars from WW2, and political backstabbing between pro-Imperial and anti-Imperial political groups?
Yeah, good point.

Guys, I think he just wants to play something stylistically Fallout, not literally play Fallout in Europe.

I think we're all retarded.

It was essentially still a private enterprise (commercial motivation), and the US would have a lot riding on maintaining a presence in Europe post-WWII (political motivation).

Such were the times.

>An era of post-apocalyptic reconstruction, scars from the Great War, and political backstabbing between pro-Imperial and Communist political groups

The game practically plays itself!

A private enterprise owned and run by nationalist extremists.

By the time the U.S. started building Vaults, Europe had basically collapsed. It's very unlikely that any vaults would have been built there.

>extremists
Not in the political climate of the time. And even if they were fiercely anti-communism, you need to keep in mind that even in the era of McCarthyism, the US government maintained bases in mainland Europa.

Like fuck it had. The European Commonwealth still had the capacity to go to war with the Middle-East. That exact war is what scared the US into starting Project Safehouse, the construction of the Vaults.

Sure, both sides in the conflict were reduced 'almost to ruin', and countries in the now-dissolved European Commonwealth entered into a state of civil war over scarce resourves some 17 years before the world-ending Great War, but there's still potential for some proper Fallout-esque storylines.

When push comes to shove, you could always retcon part of the existing European Fallout lore, as well. It's always been sparse background lore in the games, anyway.

Thing (know India) is, In our timeline, we dropped a nuke, and the president thought "oh god that was horrible, well, better let Japan have a chance to see the damage for themselves, and then they will surrender", and then our military dropped one on Nagasaki without orders (to be precise, the president had given the order to "use the bombs", and had not ordered our military to *stop* after Hiroshima, so the second Nuke caught him off guard too), and, understanding the destruction, our president ordered a cessation of bombing, giving Japan a chance to surrender.

In Fallout, after Nuke #1, the response was "Neat! Let's do that again! And again! MORE! Mwa-ha-ha!"

We don't know what actually happened to any countries outside of the US with 100% accuracy. Fallout 4 has a ghoulified Chinese sub commanders parked off the Boston harbor, but they know nothing from after they delivered their payloads.

I have no idea where "know India" came from.

And those even look relatively mild compared to their real-world counterparts.

McCarthy was right though

translation:

>Bolsheviks promised:
>We will give you peace
>We will give you freedom
>We will give you land,
>work and bread

>Heinously the deceived
>Launched war against Poland
>Instead of freedom they gave fist
>Instead of land they confiscated
>Instead of work they brought misery
>Instead of bread - hunger

So, you didnt got it.

I see literally no reason why you couldn't run a Fallout game anywhere on the globe. Cold War was a thing outside the US too, you know. It was even more pronounced in Europe because central Europe was to be the actual battleground.

>50s Americana is one of the main themes of Fallout, so it wouldn't really be Fallout anymore

I don't really see anything particularly American in Fallout games, other than the fact that every bookshelf and outhouse has a gun in it.

Europe wasn't nuked in Fallout, just America and China, and would it really be Fallout if it's not set after a nuclear apocalypse?

Fallout itself is Mad Max transplanted from Oz to US. It can survive jumps.

>50s Americana is one of the main themes of Fallout
The early games beg to differ.

McCarthy was paranoid and sad.
Not only did Communists not take over the USA without any help of him or his supporters, it eventually fell apart on it's own without really needing our help because as it turns out it's not really a very effective system for managing a realistic long-term economy by itself, and wouldn't you know it, Communists still fucking need to pay for shit.

We once did Fallout: Baltic Winter

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/43636589/

It has mentions of ideas for other nations and such.

Communism is not good at running a country, but it's good at ruining them.

And global power using intelligence assets to fuck up the other countries is not something exclusive to communists. "exporting revolution" was not just a meme.

>In Fallout, after Nuke #1, the response was "Neat! Let's do that again! And again! MORE! Mwa-ha-ha!"
Source? I'd like to read more about this.

>Communism is not good at running a country, but it's good at ruining them.
Admittedly the fault lies with human beings there, as Communism requires all human beings participating in the system to be unselfish.
This is of course impossible; altruism works in small doses, but as long as certain things are considered to have greater physical value then certain other things (which is to say, as long as "value" as a physical concept continues to exist at all) there will always be selfishness and thus those who will exploit a system out of self-interest.

I don't even see anything wrong with it really, might as well get cunty and whine about gravity not letting us fly or somesuch useless tripe. It's who we are as a species, might as well come to grips with it and learn to work it into our plans instead of coming up with plans that involve us magically transcending our flaws because The Party said so.
Shit, even in Star Trek they needed replicator technology to get that shit to work right.

There was a nuclear exchange between Europe and the Middle-East in 2054.

Who launched and suffered nuclear strikes in the 2077 is never definitively stated. We know the US, China and Russia both attack and are attacked. The fate of the rest of the world is left open to interpretation.

>And global power using intelligence assets to fuck up the other countries is not something exclusive to communists. "exporting revolution" was not just a meme.
Yes, but this had little to do with why the USSR fell apart and more to do with why lots of smaller ones didn't work out at all.
Also, places like the "School of the Americas" didn't really offer a better solution anyway; some of the worst war criminals and dictators we know of but we set them up and trained them because that meant they wouldn't be Communist and went and did shit like arm the the folks who would become the Taliban because they weren't Communist.

Ultimately it seems to me that it was a lot less about ideology because we definitely supported groups and regimes that run absolutely contrary to our ideology, and more about just not wanting the USSR to be as powerful as it was.
Or maybe an entire generation of people was genuinely so stupid as to think "doesn't like the USSR' genuinely meant "is totally our friend and likes us", but I'd like to think it was simple realpolitik rather then an entire generation of people being fucking stupid.

Nixon was all about that political practicality, so it wasn't just a whole bunch of people being stupid.

>Also, places like the "School of the Americas" didn't really offer a better solution anyway; some of the worst war criminals and dictators we know of but we set them up and trained them because that meant they wouldn't be Communist and went and did shit like arm the the folks who would become the Taliban because they weren't Communist.
Yes. Both US and USSR did heinous and immoral things to expand their influence and limit influence of the other party.
Neither allowed human decency from getting in the way, because doing so would give the other guy an advantage. You can call it race to the bottom or tragedy of commons, in any case it's shit.

Ironically the other way around, namely nailing yourself to your ideologies like they're a goddamn cross, is what's going on in the USA right now and the country is a fucking circus politically and socially because of it.

It's like we literally have no national concept of the idea of "middle ground" or something, which I know can't be correct and yet the idea becomes harder and harder to disprove every year.

Fallout becomes reality when?

Anyone got any idea for mutants outside of America? Because there wouldnt be any FEV

Never, we invented the transistor too early.
Also, radiation does not work that way.
Well, if you go by later Fallouts and early Fallouts then radiation is what causes mutation.
If you go by the one that says "FEV caused everything", then there would literally be no mutants at all because radiation just kills things.

So no mutants at all, no.

Other nation's attempts to create biological weapons or immunity projects, plus radiation. You need to throw radiation into the mix somehow, this is supposed to be Fallout.

The whole World of Tomorrow vibe is definitely a 40s - 50s American cultural product.

Yeah. I've been thinking about doing a fallout: UK and one of my ideas was doing Science on plants
during the resource wars to try to create super-crops and biomass energy or some shit. Obviously it
gets out of hand so now we have places overgrown with huge plants and we get to have triffid's and
all that fun stuff.

Don't know why people are saying it wouldn't be fallout anywhere other than America, when Britain basically copied american culture throughout the 50's

"HM's Ministry of Defense would like to welcome you to our state-of-the-art nuclear fallout shelters!"

Vault-Tec was funded by the US government, specifically Defense.

But user, the Japs got the first two Fallouts before anyone else did.

Contracted, not funded. There's a difference.

The 1950s thing is a Bethesda caricature of the original series.

I'd totally run a Fallout game based on 50s-60s France. Pretty fitting with the nuclear theme.

>reading nMage 2e while watching Stargate Atlantis
>Atlantis was an ancient city of supremely advanced humans who ascended to a higher plane of existence with a portal to the stars

Wait.

...wrong thread guy.

I'm not a guy, buddy.

"Guy" in this case being meant as a general term of address, not in a statement of your gender one way or another.
Definitely still the wrong thread though. Guessing you want a WoD thread?
Related to your post, Atlantis is general kinda gets name-dropped a lot when it comes to fantastical magic shit. It's an easy out for lots of writers I guess.

>Britain
>copied US culture
>in the 50s

We didn't even get US MOVIES in the 50s. We had our own independent EVERYTHING. Globalism wasn't a thing till the late 60s/early 70s and that's when US culture hit.

The only nations that you would probably be able to transition the setting to while keeping it recognizable are Australia (because Mad Max) and China, with China being your best bet if you want a FO that is "different". From what we get from Fallout Extreme, Taiwan, which managed to survive the nuclear holocaust to an extent, was not at all happy that the US left their ancestral homeland an uninhabitable glowing spot.

Picture an episode of the Jetsons where they visit a European country.

Now drop a nuke on it.

There's your Fallout setting.

So the Flintstones?

>Distinctive European elements
Such as?

Language, culture, locales, politics.

A quite frankly insane blend of national identities with a coloured and bloody history, and regional identities that surpass national borders, especially since these borders can be within an hour's drive of each other.

Throw that in Fallout's weird-science, post-apoc blender, and see what happens.

>fallout
>well thought out setting

I'm sure you can do better on your own, user

>Non-input
You can do better, namefag.

>especially since these borders can be within an hour's drive of each other.

And if you don't feel like driving, just sit in place, and the border may decide to pass you.

Actually, Europe and the
Middle East nuked each other at the end of the Resource Wars.

This was several decades before the Great War between the US and China.

there is a therory blowing around that myron only rediscovered jet.

Doesn't help that it was more effective at stifling activists and destroying political rivals than actually catching Communists.

They do that now

Well if you don't agree with me, you must clearly be a communist (or fascist)

t. moral and wise leader

I was just saying that Fallout is shit and probably wouldn't translate well enough to a ttrpg without just being a generic apoc rpg with a diluted flavor that only applies to one part of the world that OP said that they were excluding from their campaign anyways.

It's a dumb idea with a problem that fixed by saying it's FO inspired but a homebrew setting. Idk much about 50's European culture since I'm not an 80 year old Brit, so maybe OP can pick up a book or Google it.

sufficient input?

Vaults were only built in America period. You might find a couple in Canada (which was annexed) but there would be no vaults in Europe.

Radiation-induced superpowers as pseudo-magic in addition to generic combat. Just throwing it out there.

It's fiction, you anal-retentive retard.

Sure. Its probably easier to fortify the London Underground or the Paris Metro.

Holy shot
Contribute
Or fuck off
You ass