Same as real life HRE, can an outside power be elected as emperor for the empire in Warhammer ?

Same as real life HRE, can an outside power be elected as emperor for the empire in Warhammer ?

I highly doubt it. Like what though? The dwarfs? Too busy fighting to maintian their Karaks. Plus wouldn't be interested in ruling over divided manlings. Elves? Too busy either hiding in a forest or doing whatever High Elves do. Or indeed, too busy torturing people if you think of Dark Elves. Tilea? Not even a nation, just city-states. Estalia? Most likely, but even then, it's a Not!spain, so I doubt it. Kislev? Too busy fighting perpetual war against the northerners. Bretonnia? Too busy suppressing peasants or fucking their horses + they have a different system of government/laws. Anyone else is either not human, hates the Empire, or is too far away/irrelevant.

By Estalia being "most likely" I mean most likely out of all considered. Even if that is still negligible.

Didn't they elect a horse once?

Nah I'm 90% sure that was one of the Tilean city-states, but I could be wrong.

Fair enough.

Anyway I'm not sure there are rules for who they can elect, I mean I guess if they all vote for an Ogre then, who is going to stop them?

Only Elector Counts are eligible for the position of Emperor.

Really? I thought Magnus the Pious was just a random low level noble, not an elector.

Magnus was extremely unusual circumstances.

There are exceptions, Magnus was one.

Well then it's not a requirement to be an elector count. Most emperor's were elector counts because the elector counts usually voted for themselves. But if some guy does some bad ass thing, and all the electors like him. They could select him to be the next emperor.

I'm sure that some Kislevite ice monarch or another could cook up a claim to the throne-- and if the political situation in the Empire was bad enough, it might actually get through.

Learn your history user. Spain's monarch was once elected Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire.

Sorry friend, will do.

>Well then it's not a requirement to be an elector count.
Magnus was an exception because the Empire had been just about dissolved prior to the Great War. If the Elector Count system had been intact, if there had actually been an active Emperor during that time, he wouldn't have been eligible.

So sure, all that's required for a non-Elector Count to be elected to the position is for the dissolution of the Empire and then for the Empire to be reunited by that individual against an overpowering external threat that no one else has stood against, with the official backing of one of the major churches (either Sigmar or Ulrich) and for him to have no major rivals capable of contesting his claim, then you can have a non-Elector Count rise to the position.

Maybe.

He was a habsburg.

>who is going to stop them?

exactly. They probably don't have it codified. It's law that comes from tradition - What the elector counts elect, that's electable, but if just one votes for a unusual thing it might be decided to be against good morals and the law of the land.

He was ruler of Spain before he inherited the Archduchy of Austria and before he was elected Emperor of the HRE

Spain will never be the Emperor.

And the sad thing is that the artist was almost certainly being paid to make them look good.

Imagine how fucked up they must really have been.

No. The system dictates that only the Elector Counts of the Provinces can be made Emperor.

Not even all the people who can vote for Emperor (The Grand Theologinist and 2 Arch-Lectors of Sigmar, the Ar-Ulric, and the Elector of the Moot) can become one.

That is royal inbreeding for you. It does wonderful things to the descendants after a few generations. A little, ok. Hel,l they do it with dogs and it's not bad. Do it multiple generations non-stop. And that is what you get.

He was horrendous and if I remember correctly functionally retarded.

The Vampire counts tried to have a Zombie elected as Emperor.

Though to be fair, they ARE part of the Empire.

>l they do it with dogs and it's not bad.
>not bad
user.
It actually is very bad.
Not even mutts or crossbreeds are safe.

His house originated from Austria tho.

>Holy
>Roman
>Empire

Back then the Habsburg's where everywhere. Their family dominated Europe.
So a good question about this is: if Karl Frans had a son that became king of Estalia and then later somehow became electer count of Riekland because his brother died, would he have a good chance to be elected emperor and thus uniting Estalia and the empire at least till the end of his rule ?

Done right, it can be very good, look at horse breeding and the lineage of some of their best. But you need to do it right.

not that it matters anymore but: Maybe.

Could be a nice way to develop Estalia I guess.

Crowed by the pope so that counts at least a little towards Holy.

Had the city of Rome, bar that 20 year patch when the ERE got it's shit together. So that legitimizes the Roman bit. At least as much as East Roman Empire who didn't have Rome.

And if you are going to call the Mongolian or Japanese Empires as Empires then you kind of do have to count the HRE as an Empire as well.

The Habsburgs are originally Swiss

Once and for all: This is a meme unless you apply it like Voltair did: Not on the actual Holy Roman Empire, but on the Holy Roman Empire of German Nation.

No, the Habsburg were originally Swabians that occupied land and constructed a castle in what is now modern Switzerland, but did not actually become a part of Switzerland until just under 400 years after the castle's establishment.