Our DM is pretty good at what he does, but he's not the kind of guy you can easily talk to either. Sometimes though...

Our DM is pretty good at what he does, but he's not the kind of guy you can easily talk to either. Sometimes though, he takes things a bit too far.

An example is what happened on Memorial Day's game night. The party was at a tavern after a long dungeon and was pretty much unwinding and clearing out treasure. In character food was sent to the tables, and our DM surprised us by having cooked various food dishes that were what our characters were eating. However, our elf ranger who got a t-bone steak is actually played by a Vegan in real life, and she couldn't eat meat. Our DM told her that if she didn't eat it and remain in character she would not get any experience for the dungeon, and so she wound up eating the steak and it made her very sick in the morning.

Our DM likes to bring things from the game in real life, and he's actually served alcoholic drinks before. This is pretty fun and all, except one of the players is underage (he is 20, will be 21 in November) and he insisted the player finish the drink "so it won't be a waste" and promised "bonus exp" for staying in character out of the game.

I heard from one of his former players that there was an altercation between him and one of the players at that game when a player tried to stand up to him, and it got physical. I don't know what to say. I really like this guy's game and he seems to have good intentions, but he's got to tone it down. How do I approach this?

Pity if he's that inflexible. Would be benevolent autism in the right group.

>one of the players is underage (he is 20, will be 21 in November)

murricans

This may sound extreme, but leave the group.
I've been in a group where literally everyone in the game was either a psychopath or a tinderbox of emotional issues (or both), and believe me, everything is fine until it's not, and when it's not, it gets BAD.
I left, straightened my shit out, and never went back. Best feeling in the world.
Do not be there when that guy goes off.

>DM grills steak and provides booze

Hot damn, OP. Let's trade DMs.

Fucking punch the guy in the face, that sounds really fucking bad. That guy is petty and manipulative.

Yeah, what an asshole DM, making his players steaks and drinks.

Fuck you, you stupid faggot

And good on him for shitting on the vegan

If he has gotten physical over god damn Dungeons & Dragons before, he is not right in the head. Forcing someone to eat food that would make them sick by telling them they won't get an XP is fucking retarded and sadistic. At worst he should have given the player the chance to say her character was eating something different. To top it all off, if you don't feel like you can approach him to talk about this stuff, either you are way too shy and passive, or he is way too rude and belligerent (I'm assuming both.)

This is not a healthy group dynamic, both in terms of the game, and in terms of your relationship with this man. Nobody should wield such oppressive authority that people feel uncomfortable and pressured when they are just there to have fun. Early D&D didn't use the term Dungeon Master, it called the person running the game the Referee instead. I think that's a much better term, because it doesn't carry the implications of totalitarian management; Referee just means you are there to arbitrate a *game* and its rules and keep things running smoothly so everyone can enjoy it.

Also, damn, what 20 year old worries about drinking? I could understand if he lived with his parents or somebody else who would kick him out or otherwise make it hard on him if they smelled alcohol on him, but if he's not worried about that or driving home, he needs to relax.

I dunno, I'd probably constantly rip a vegan player just for the sake of it, maybe he was just fucking with her, rather than genuine autism.

>20
>underaged

>all that blind hate
Yes a lot of them are annoying twats, but the one in OP story seems to be vegan for legit medical reasons given that meat fucked her up.

Not necessarily. Eating a steak after going a few years without eating meat is going to make you sick regardless.

It could also be that not having eaten meat for a long time, her body stopped producing the enzyme to digest it. A lot of vegetarians/vegans have that problem IIRC.

That being said, the DM was being a dick for forcing a player to eat something that would make her sick.

>DM buys us steak and booze
>Help me Veeky Forums what do I do
Stop being a faggot is what you do, holy shit.

>Our DM told her that if she didn't eat it and remain in character she would not get any experience for the dungeon,
I can't comprehend one would seriously care about experience in a table top game enough to actually do that. I mean, veganism is fucking stupid, but so is forcing yourself to eat a fucking steak after avoiding meat for prolonged time.
More importantly though: the fuck? Why do you play with this guy, or why don't you at least tell him that roleplaying is one thing and going the extra mile to add to the experience is fine, but you can't fucking disrespect the actual person you play with. If the person has a problem with something, then you fucking find a way around them, don't fucking force it. That is frankly border-line sociopathological.
If he is getting physical, then you should not even fucking consider playing with him until you at LEAST straighten shit out and draw absolutely clear lines.

All that said:
>This is pretty fun and all, except one of the players is underage (he is 20, will be 21 in November) and he insisted the player finish the drink "so it won't be a waste" and promised "bonus exp" for staying in character out of the game.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH You Americans are fucking adorable.

Never, EVER do ERP with this guy

Ok. Still, she didn't force her veganism even on her own character, that's an indicator away from the crusading crowd.

Oh boo hoo, the fucking vegan was more worried about xp than their fucking morals. What a travesty. Seriously, it sounds like the only fucking thing manipulating you players is the fact that you have no spines. If he says "Do this or I give you no XP," just say "Well I guess I don't get any XP then, huh?"

Also, don't be a pussy just because he fought another guy. Make sure that you're clear that you're uncomfortable with his actions and don't pick a fight. If he starts something, leave. IT'S THAT EASY.

>forcing a vegan to eat meat and get sick
>this is pretty fun and all but giving a 20 year old alcohol

What the fuck man, get your priorities straight.

Forcing to eat/drink either is despicable but drinking an alcoholic beverage with 20 years really won't make you sick in the stomach or something if you have functioning livers. Someone who isn't accustomed to meat will have a bad day and probably feel disgusted of himself for throwing away his ideals for xp (wich is kinda retarded tb h)

What lunatic DM and retarded players do you belong to?

Your GM would be a real good one if he didn't force but provided ingame foods and drinks btw, but cutting xp for not eating is just mad

Forgot the advice there:
Tell him he's a lunatic for cutting you xp if you dont follow his commands that make you phisically ill.
If he doesn't listen leave.

Also: captcha select all food, if i don't eat it all i wont get xp or what?

>manchildren fucktards easily bought by free food and drink miss the point entirely
Wow, who would have though.

She's obviously not a vegan if she ate meat

Yep. I had a bite of ham once by accident my freshman year of high school and it messed me up for like a day and a half.

>You don't get XP unless you swallow.

Well, I tried talking to him. Needless to say I myself and a couple of the other players are not going back to play with him again.

Did you beta or did you floor him

You probably betad, didn't you

Does it matter if I did or not? The point is I stood up for myself against a bully.

I don't understand the hate for vegans, I couldn't give two fucks of you don't eat meat, that's your prerogative. Even if it's personal choice, this shitty DM should respect that.

Oh, fuck of with that fucking meme.
The man stood up for himself and if the other guy punched him because of this, that guy is no alpha if his pride is so flimsy he needs to use his fists.

>hitting back makes you a beta

Damn straight it doesn't. You have the guts to stand up to twats, it doesn't matter if you smacked him or not because you have already shown that you where the better man.

He smack you because of that, he can't have much else if his fists are the only way to shut you down.

You were bullied a lot in school, weren't you?

>get your shit pushed in by an autistic tabletop roleplaying game player
>better man

lol

Why not?

> 20 yo.
> Underage
I pitty you americans

I pity eurocucks and pretty much everything about their sad existence

you can't even drink before you're 21

what a joke