I want to teach my wife how to play mtg

I want to teach my wife how to play mtg.

How the hell should I start? I was thinking of picking up a duel decks thing, but I'm not sure if that's basic enough start to learning. I'm confident in my abilities to teach, but I don't want to throw 957352394857 different things and mechanics at her at once.

Any ideas for what products are good for teaching magic?

Do you have a collection of cards already?

If so, build a couple of 40-card decks in allied color combos. Use vanilla and french vanilla creatures mostly, and a few flavorful instants, sorceries and enchantments (burn for red, growth for green, removal for black, card draw for blue, pacifism for white).

Why not just have her read the rules and practice like everyone else?
I mean, every kid and teenager managed to get some cards, read the little booklets, and start slapping decks together back even in the 90s.

I do. But I'm just recently back into playing. My collection is a goddamn mess, and I've traded or sold a bunch of my decent cards so I can get into this season's standard.

Also, I don't have an abundance of time to make two "noob" friendly decks so they're competitive. I mean, I could. But I was hoping there was some product that would be good for teaching. I don't care about the value from the product itself, other than the ability to teach a new player.

Because, I've asked her if she's wanted to learn how to play and she her response was pretty much "it looks difficult to learn". It isn't but I know she'll get frustrated if I throw a bunch of different things at her at once.

This post was good about the kind of deck I want to make, but I responded to it here.

Shops give out these super basic 30 card welcome packs, go pick up 2 of those. They showcase the basic mechanics of the game and are balanced against each other. Probably the best place for anyone to start since you get it for 0 (zero) shekels. I'd go with that just to find out if she even enjoys it. After that the learning curve tends to be really quick, you really don't have to be a genious to play this game to a sufficient extent.

Also relevant have you ever fugd her in the ass? Asking for a friend

I have not :(

I've read about those welcome packs, but 30 card decks just seem super basic. I was probably going to pick them up anyway.

Give her a blue black control deck.
You can keep playing with that white weenie tho.

Make two obvious commander decks.

If your wife is complete potato it may be difficult, but if you make something with straight-forward and themed keyword abilities it should be easy enough to pilot. Make sure you're playing something noticeably slower for the first couple times because she's going to miss easy activation and playing efficiently will always win. After a while, let her play your deck, explain some basic combos, then get her into a tribal.

Guarantee she'll become a complete sperg. If that doesn't work, get her to open your packs. She'll be excited if you crack something good because you'll be excited. Then just explain why you were excited and how much it was worth and she'll become interested pretty quick.

I've never played commander, so I don't even know how it works.

You can find mini duel decks at stores with 40 card decks that are very simple. I would recommend those

Just don't have her play.

Pretty straight forward actually.

Each deck is comprised of 99 cards and one commander.

You can only use one copy of each card in your deck, outside of basic lands.

Your commander is a legendary creature. That's it, pick one and you put it beside your deck in the "command zone".

You can cast your commander at any time, but if your commander dies or is removed from the field, you can put it back in the command zone and play it again for 2 extra colourless mana.

You can only use colours contained in your commander's colour identity. For example, a Ruric Thar deck you could only use red and green cards.

You start with 40 life instead of 20.

You also have 21 "commander damage" which refers to combat damage dealt to you, as a player, by the other player's commander.

When commanders deal combat damage to a player, it affects their regular life points in addition to commander damage when they hit an opponent.

That's it, of course some things are better than others, but it's a pretty easy format to build for, particularly if you have a large collection of singles.

Don't bother, I'f her response was "it looks hard" for sure she is not interested, very very few women are interested in MTG by far and I know from personal experience from both myself and my friends that even if your girlfriend gets into it or learns they drop it pretty quickly.

Most of the time they just deal with you teaching them to make you happy tbqh.

Don't get a dual deck. Go to your game store and get 2 welcome packs for free (some charge a small fee). They're designed to have cards with very basic abilities (flying, haste, etc.) for learning

>wants to convience her to play magic before fugning her ass

Found your problem, you got your priorities wrong.

Veeky Forums is the best board.

The duel decks are probably okay. They also sell these starter decks, two thirty card decks,(surprisingly good, actually) vanilla or french vanilla, and they come packaged with two booster packs.

or else just get her duels

I used sample decks (30-cards from LGS) then let her choose her first intro pack and then bought Elspeth vs Kiora duel decks

built my wife a green stompy and red stompy. she loves might of the oaks

I thought my girlfriend on an eldrazi ramp deck. Get a bunch of mana, play some removal here and there, play massive creatures and win. Once she was hooked it was a piece of cake to go further.

Sample decks, or welcome decks. A duel deck would be a good choice as well, but I would purposely structure the first 20-30 cards

That response means she's not interested.

You should probably respect that instead of forcing your interests on her.

I taught my fiancee to play the other day. I made it very simple for her and she got it almost all in the first sitting.

>Make a deck for her, 40 easy to figure out cards. You do not use a deck, you only need to have 5 cards, 2 of them creatures (1 with special ability and one without), the other 3 cards being the other types of spells.
>Set her lifepoints to 20 and yours to 60.
>Spend the first 4-5 turns showing her how to play spells and lands while damaging your life points.
>On turn 5 put a plain creature out (don't play anything else, even lands, she doesn't need ot see anything but the creature) and show her how you block her attack with it.
>Next use it to attack her and show her how to block it. For this reason its better to use one big creature without trample.
>Next turn play a different spell, repeat for the next few turns unti lteh game concludes and you lose.
>Always make sure she has the advantage and never play more than one new thing on your your. After teh second time you're played it try to engage her to see if she knows what it does.
>The day after we did this my fiancee and I had a proper game and she caught on to most of hte rules, she also won! I made sure she had my powerful but simple Goblin deck and I just had weak random cards with not strategy though.

Stores usually offer basic "teaching " MTG decks for free that are just 30 card mono coloured decks which is readily supplied by WotC. They are very easy ways to play the game and learn for new players.

Thanks for giving me relationship advice for a woman I've been with for 10 years :^)

I wish I would have seen this last night. Though, I WAS asleep at this point. That's a really interesting take on how to teach. We were playing with open hands, and eventually she figured out I just wasn't playing cards that could completely fuck her board up. I just smiled and told her "We're not to that learning point yet".

We picked up 2 of them. The U/B and G/R ones. She wanted to play blue. After 2 games, I realized that the cards in there made things confusing for new players. Like Stitched Mangler. She started thinking that all of her creatures came into play tapped because Mangler does.

So, once I saw that happening, I stopped the game, and we switched. She played G and really started to get the hang of it.

It was a lot for her to take in, but she really enjoyed it and wants to play again tonight. She also downloaded Magic Duels on her phone and was playing it this morning in bed.

My LGS owner gave her 2 packs of SOI because "your husband spends enough here, have a couple packs". She opened a Dec in Stone and an Olivia, Mobilized for War. And, I'm too much of a pussy bitch to ask to use the Dec in Stone, which could go into my Standard deck :(

Fuck her.

>And, I'm too much of a pussy bitch to ask to use the Dec in Stone, which could go into my Standard deck :(

Seduce her with sexytime.

Haven't you seen all the threads about ways we got the rules completely fucking wrong by doing this in the 90s?

Start with a couple pauper decks?, that way you get to learn weird mechanics, and play with powerful cards.