What would chests look like in a setting with mimics?

What would chests look like in a setting with mimics?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/Vrb0BCvw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

chests would look weird as shit, probably becoming increasing esoteric as time goes on to confuse the fuck out of mimics.

Chests would naturally open *away* from the users

How about this: They don't look like anything. They are eldritch aberrations summoned by a mad wizard to the material plane. Their true form is to horrible for the mortal mind to comprehend so they appear as something harmless like a chest or barrel we saw in the past.

Or maybe its like some sort of glamour like fey have.

.... Traditionally Mimics are shapeshifters that can make themselves look like any inanimate object. Chests, tables, bookcases, chairs, toilets, chandeliers, whatever they think suckers will be alone near where they can pounce and devour an easy meal. Change the look of chests and they'll just shapeshift to match.

>What would chests look like in a setting with mimics?
They'd look like mimics.

Why else would a wizard keep them in his tower, if not to confuse intruders?

By the same token, why would you put your treasure in a chest, if not to keep it safe?

Mimics can take any form... they'll take the form of the most popular chest.

Mimics replace real chests. So they'll always look appropriate for wherever they've set up

I liked the ones in Dungeon Meshi, giant hermit crabs that like to live inside conveniently sized inanimate objects as a sort of shell which doubles as a lure for prey, like chests for example.

That's operating under the assumption that people who make dungeons don't want you to be eaten by mimics

I was going to say use transparent materials, because the typical mimic has visibly organic insides, but and have it right. It's magic, it doesn't have to make sense, they will always adapt.

They would look like chests, but they would come with a half price spear and spear holder along with prodding hole to stab the chest with, so you can try stabbing the chest to see if it is a mimic for free.

Chests would look like Mimics.
And Mimics, would look like chests.
It is too meta. Most people won't get it.
Do you?

All chests are mimics, some are just bitey

>expecting Tiedrich to understand things

Chests will be modelled on a mimic's true form, which is the one form it will refuse to show to the public.

>Chests, tables, bookcases, chairs, toilets, chandeliers, whatever they think suckers will be alone near where they can pounce and devour an easy meal.

Quest hook: Mimics have infested a nearby Ikea outlet.

Easier to just burn down the IKEA.

jokes on them. lure them to the warehouse area where the actual merchandise is and they'll disassemble.

That's some funky English.

The exact same way, since mimics are explicitly rare and really only appear in dungeons.

The only logical and coherent idea for a mimic that I've seen.

>can't stand the light of the sun
Naturally you just use a sunrod on every chest you come across.
Fucking wizard glowsticks were the best addition to the adventurer's pack

In the game(s) she's referencing, generally you ONLY find chest mimics.
It'd be another thing entirely if checking out a closet or bookshelf or something could result in a mimic, but if mimics literally only ever replace chests, that's an issue with chests.

Like normal chests, mimics change their form to suit things they have come in contact with.
The trick would be to throw rocks at chest to see if they stick to its surface.

I like Dungeon Menshi's take on mimics.

To be fair, she specifically writes videogame jokes. Asking why all the mimics and chests look identical makes a decent amount of sense given the subject material.

I like mimics as a sort of slime or similar (generally described as fleshy and wet, but people tend not to see the whole mimic) that can "possess" structure to defend themselves, usually a container to provide them an actual defense, although theoretically one could try pure offense by coating much of the outside of, say, a rack of swords (they generally don't, because there's no "inside" of a sword-rack they could hide in and still control the weapons well). Young mimics can only possess smaller things like jewelry boxes and toys, and generally prey only on insects and rodents, but older, larger mimics can take more variety in their homes and often develop intelligence as they grow.
It's rare, but not unheard of in such a setting for an adventuring party to sort of strike a deal with a mimic to carry some of the party's stuff safely around (and possibly being a sentry while the group's asleep or something) in exchange for being fed some things the party defeats, and relative safety (adventurers who aren't going to kill you is safer than whatever might be upset that a chest in a dungeon has a mimic and is strong enough to do something about it). Getting the mimic a bigger box from time to time is mutually beneficial - the adventurers get more room to store stuff, and the mimic gets a bigger home and thus can hold bigger things for eating.

Kobold unrelated.

I get this reference!

Chilchak won't rest until the Mimics pay for the mental anguish they caused him.

Mark my words, I'll find somewhere to use this

does anyone have the thread saved from years ago about a female thief who got a mimic girl to open up by picking her 'lock?'

I need this

>I am doorknob

Since the whole point of a locked chest is to keep thieves & spies away, having them look like mimics is a good way to kill people who aren't supposed to be there.

This is also why wizards keep making mimics and noblemen keep buying them.

Or, you know, we could cycle back into normal chests when mimics go into weird chests

Thanks for helping out my mobile ass, user

I find mimics to be people so utterly consumed by their avarice that they take the apperance of symbols of greed. And prey upon people who's greed overcomes their curiosity.

One of the best chapters.

Holy shit it's Dark Cloud, I didn't think anyone else knew about that!

>not setting every chest on fire

>toilets
nope

nope nope nope

(no)

>Traditionally Mimics are shapeshifters that can make themselves look like any inanimate object.
D&D mimics are shapeshifters. Videogame mimics are usually created by wizards to look like chests. Or are actual chests that were transformed into monsters.

They'd look exactly like the mimics. Where do you think people got the idea for chests from?
>hey, look at this crazy looking monster
>I bet I could make something that looked just like it to hide my valuables in
>then everyone would be too afraid to try and loot them

What games? The way mimic looks makes me think Dark Cloud, but I've only played the second one and can't tell if those characters are from the first.

m-more?

Hermit crab mimics are best.

In fact, the most ingenious thing for a wizard to do would be to study the characteristics of poorly disguised mimics, and subtly make your chest look like one, making adventurers who think they're clever avoid your chest and believe think they're clever for doing so.
A chest disguise as a mimic disguised as a chest.

Here's an idea. What if Mimics evolved as ambush predators who hollow out trees and other objects, living inside them like hermit crabs and when ambushing curious creatures who came to investigate them.

When humans came along and started making chests, bookcases, and other containers, the Mimics found ready-made shells which could easily lure a ready supply of food.

user

Yeah it's from Dark Cloud 1, which did have different characters.

How do you use a crossbow underwater?
Doesn't water ruin them?

How about make mimics greedy like dragons, holding onto as much wealth as they can find and carry. That way you don't really get burned if you get tricked and win.

...Unless they're actually part dragon. Fire breathing mimics sound fun.

hermit crab mimics are great, i stole that idea before.

found a link to the pastebin in Veeky Forums's Smut Index on 1d4chan.

>pastebin.com/Vrb0BCvw

Tried to find you a pic of the toilets from Lexx, but this was the best I could do.

As said, it doesn't really matter. Mimics will look like whatever thing loot goes in, or other inanimate objects that give you a good chance of gnoshing on some unwary adventurers.

People learn to be careful about chests because it's the iconic look, but several of my players have learned it's still a bit of a shock when the easily-disarmed crossbow trap turns out to be a mimic pretending to be a giant crossbow, or when you pick the leftmost door in the dungeon only to find you're shaking hands with a monster that is now attached to you and trying to eat your face.

Kobolds would be very related considering their panhance for gold and silver and the tithage they pay their dragon sugar dadies.

They would be the staple of the mimics diet. Adventurers dont come by everyday and kobolds are far too weak to resist.