Is there a tabletop game for simulating school life, i.e roleplaying as studants?

Is there a tabletop game for simulating school life, i.e roleplaying as studants?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!ZZNRiAzC!jJPoBTgD4vhoVDQ-NCQj33CB3H7Avv3721iIkOgv-u8
youtu.be/-YZaYg_o_cc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

bump

WoD can be pretty good for it. At least if you're going for some kind of Buffy-style urban fantasy game.

Which I hope you are, because "High School: the Game" sounds fucking terrible.

Any game set in modern times can have students in it, but i was indeed going for "high school: the game" sort of thing. afterall, "maid: the game" was pretty fun.

Christ on a bike are you serious right now?

To each their own, I guess.

schoolgirl RPG i guess? smallville? best friends forever?
the real question is why
what are you looking to do

just curiosity really.

First off, the obligatory list of generics
-GURPS
-FATE/FUDGE
-Powered by the Apocalypse
-Storyteller

More narrowly specific:
-MAID
-Monsters and Other Childish Things
-Golden Sky Stories
-Chuubo's Magnificent Wish Granting Engine
-Witch Girls (hideously evil spell casting students, but students none the less)
-Adeptus Evangelion (probably not as much into the school simulation as you want, though)

Just a few off the top of my head. It would help a lot more if you would talk about which parts of school life you want to simulate. Being a student? Class drama?

"Ok I studied all night for this test and hired a private tutor"
>Roll 1
>You fail the test
"FUCK YOU!"

....sounds super exciting....

any Veeky Forums made games? I don't have access to commercial ones.

>which parts of school life you want to simulate
bit of each, i just want to get the general feeling

"Ok, I sold all my stuff so i could bribe the guard to get my friends out of jail"
>Roll 1
>The guards keep the money and sends you off
"FUCK YOU"

anyway everything can be interesting if it's played right. if you immerse yourself in the character, even them failing the test can be exciting.

But the fun comes from the risk and rewards.
Getting ripped off a guard adds challenge but failing a test doesn't have a consequence.

You fail? How will this effect the plot line? You can't pass the grade level? Prom sucks now?
Parents shake their head?

You would need to add a certain goal to the game that makes this exciting. But since it's just high school ... everything is average.

Don't use tabletop as a way to live vicariously.

Of that list, only Adeptus Evangelion is Veeky Forums-made. Some of the generics might have basic rules available for free. If commercial stuff is out, well... you're probably going to have a harder time finding recommendations. Even most indie authors now (which would definitely be the sort to build the RPG you're looking for) at the very least put up their work on something like DriveThruRPG for a couple bucks.

>failing a test doesn't have a consequence.
sure it has. you might get grounded for example. or you might not be allowed online anymore. or any other punishment that can change the immediate course of your life, which can grow to enormous ripples in the long run.

Here let me give you a scenerio: school festival is coming up and you are a drummer in your friend's band. due to you being grounded after failing a test, another person got to be the drummer, but than the band synergy turned sour, and one of your friends decided he has no talent and decided to do as his paraents told him and become a lawyer. his parents ware happy and soon arranged to switch to a more presitigious school, and thats how your friendship slwoly started to be forgotten and come to an end, as he got a lot on hi mind on his new school and talking to you brings painfull memories of a dream he has abandoned.
...for example.

you got the pdf?

i found the demo for golden skies, what is in the full version? more core and character stats or just scenerios and some offhand rules and modes?

Okay I can kind of see that. But what would be your main "Quest"?
You would need one that the whole group can get behind, right?
Like in traditional games it's kill this giant or save the princess. As a group you can all agree to save the day, but in high school...?

I can't see how getting grounded is any kind of meaningful consequences unless it means I can't go fight vampires now.

You're just describing Personal Drama Simulator. I can't see how reenacting my teenage years would ever be appealing without some kind of larger backdrop and I can't see any group if players feeling any different.

Just go watch Degrassi or some shit if you need to scratch that itch so desperately.

it could be everything really. from mystery solving to student council election winning, to balancing stardom with school life or what not. its not like each and every d&d scenerio is about killing dragons.

being grounded means you can't participate in any quests that go beyond school time. fighting vampires is only one of them.

>reenacting teenage years
no. i don't know how to explain this 'no' so instead ill provide an example- if you ware to live in a medivalish world, would you go around hackling with kings and saving demsels? this is fantasizing, not what teenage life actual are.

>watch tv
and you can go watch got if you want people killing each other in ancient weaponery. but we both know the appeal of tabletops.

>I don't have access to commercial ones
Kek.
Visit the PDF share thread > and hoist the black flag with a hii-hii-ho and a hii-hii-hey!

There's not really any reason why I'd care about those "quests" I'm missing out on if they're just shit like going to the arcade or winning popularity contests. You say "solve mysterious", but the mystery of whether or not Brad smokes dope or if Stacy is still a virgin isn't really compelling.

You say you're not just killing dragons in D&D. That's true, but you're still acting in a capacity far outside anything you do on real life. That's the appeal for most people. I'll never be an actual Paladin. But I did go to high school, and high school sucked.

You can like what you like, bro. But what you like is really out there and is totally unappealing for most of us. So don't get defensive when we riff on it.

ty

solve mysteries could also mean who framed brad as a smoker, why is there a smell of a dead cat in the cafeteria and where the school budgets disappear to.

real high school sucks for the same reason being a real paladin sucks- its real.

don't try to talk in the name of others. youll be suprised what things are popular out there.

Not the school budget!

I hope you're a real good storyteller than.

I don't have anyone to play with anyway. i was just providing examples.

This. You're gonna have to work really hard to make me care about any of these problems because none if them are that compelling.

Of course, media centered around teen drama doesn't appeal to me at all so I'm probably not OP's target audience.

I'm just having trouble believing there's any substantial number of people here into that.

OP here.

I can't believe this survived from 2014.
to whichever user who shared it, kudos.

mega.nz/#!ZZNRiAzC!jJPoBTgD4vhoVDQ-NCQj33CB3H7Avv3721iIkOgv-u8

if you are more into action than intrigue, ofc i would have harder time getting you into any school related stuff that aren't sports tournoments.

I like intrigue just fine. I just prefer it to be more interesting than who boinked whom on prom night.

And it's not like I'd have any more fun roleplaying a football game either.

It's all just so... mundane, I guess. I genuinely can't fathom how someone finds slice of life stuff fun subject matter for an RPG.

(the link is golden sky stories btw)

To each their own i guess.

F. A. T. A. L could work quite well

I ran Mekton Zeta as a Military Academy game set on a capital ship. It was one of the funnest games of all time, but you need players that make characters with actual quirks and backstories.

youtu.be/-YZaYg_o_cc

A school test shouldn't be based solely on a d20 roll.

You're right. You should give the players an actual algebra test.

That's just silly. I'd come up with something cooler or less nonsensical.

Well seeing how popular slice of life anime is, I'm surprised OPs idea hasn't gathered more enthusiasm. I for one think it's a fun idea.

Like what?

What system/setting?

WoD

Not him, but a test isn't a question of only luck
luck may determines if you know the specific subject in question or if you get challanges regarding your weakness, so bad dice roll will give you low score but if you did study hard you can still pass.

If you fail you have to retake the test until you pass, and until then club activities are prohibited, but a club is disbanded unless it has four or more members, so you have to do a study session together or otherwise you won't be allowed to perform at the cultural festival and people won't have a very fuwa fuwa time.

I didn't want to make another thread for this and since this is kind of a "what system" thread I figured I'd just interject here as to not clog the board up

What's a good system that has good d100 based combat? Is such a thing even possible?

You want RuneQuest 6. It's the best you're going to get in d100.

Looking kinda MI2 Guybrush there, Simon

Just wanted to let you know that you're a terrible GM and you should never run a game.

GURPS even has a Back to School supplement; while a good deal of it focuses on adventur-y things like apprentice/masters and training arcs, a chunk is dedicated to running actual in-school campaigns ranging from magical academies and mundane dramas where school is the focus to things like Buffy where it's a constant background element that affects the story without dominating the spotlight.

>What's a good system that has good d100 based combat? Is such a thing even possible?

The 40k RPG's all use that if I recall.

So you don't actually want Highschool: the game, you want Animu Highschool Trash: the game. Probably to live out your weeaboo fantasies of growing up in Japan.

That's fine I guess, people like different things.

>things like Buffy where it's a constant background element that affects the story without dominating the spotlight.

This is the only proper way to run a "modern" high school campaign, in my humble opinion.

Or even a grade school campaign.

I've said it before and I'm saying it again. That Ghoul is a QT.

I can't remember, are the monsters in these books legit monsters or are all the kids just constantly tripping?

IIRC, by the denouement it was revealed it was all their imagination.

And then it'd end on a "Or was it?" note.

Every time the Baily School Kids comes up, someone waifu-claims Scout.

Guess a lot of people here like gothy chicks.

It's never explicitly stated I think?

Why in the hell would you want to do that?

>Roll 1d20+INT for your algebra exam , -5 for staying up all night playing Xbox

I don't see the appeal, personally, but to each his own.

Every time someone talks about running a game like that, most people in the thread are just there to shoot them down. It's a pretty niche interest, really.

Sounds like high school.

Monster Hearts for rule-light supernatural
Lyceenes for all sorts of (mostly japanese) high school settings.

>ctrl+f alma = 0 hits
>not knowing alma mater rpg

>ITT newfags and plebs

>srsly, being this new

If you want to play Jock class, this is finally your chance to do it.

Oh, yeah. The Buffy RPG is alleged to bretty gud too.

OP doesn't want a Buffy game though. He'd probably have to homebrew out all the stuff involving monsters and demons.

i have nothing against monsters in a high school campaign, as long as there is hischool as well

My Otus bro. Alma Mater is rare as Booty & The Beasts.

There is also R.Tal's old Teenagers From Outer Space

>My Otus bro. Alma Mater is rare as Booty & The Beasts.

You just need the PDF. It's the digital age, you know?