One of my player characters is intent on destroying the moon

One of my player characters is intent on destroying the moon.

Just curious - in a medieval fantasy setting, how would you go about destroying the moon?

With magic

Without much success.

Drawing down the Moon.

Long convoluted "one red paperclip" scheme to earn/extort a favor from a powerful god or godlike power.

Medieval, so non high fantasy?
Literally impossible
We couldn't do it today without arranging a multi billion dollar moon drilling operation and creating around 5 nukes each of which would need to be around 20x more powerful than the most powerful nuke ever detonated on earth

Sphere off Annihilation would probably be the most efficient way, although it might be kinda slow.

Maybe you could create a really really really big portal in the path of the moon's orbit, and have it swallow the moon.

Depends on what the moon is in your setting.

>Build a rocket
>fill it with warpstone in two chambers, one to fly one to explode
>start it and pray to the horned rat
>hope for it to not explode early and to destroy morrslieb
>if the moon is destroyed enjoy your endless warpstone supply

>all of the warpstone burns up during reentry

A True Immovable Rod.

Just take the moon and push it somewhere else. I'm sure there's a Bigby's Hand spell for that.

>forgetting the skaven pilot.

wouldn't be near sufficient enough
easiest way to destroy the moon would be to nudge its orbit towards earth which would require a shitload of energy already

A dangerous, forbidden magical ritual which will cause a portentous comet to collide with the moon.

Haven't prayed hard enough to the horned rat then

>Depends on what the moon is in your setting.
This. Is it a giant rock sphere one-sixth the size of the earth, or is it a flat disc of light on which moon dragons cavort? Is your "earth" even a sphere?

Isn't there an epic level wizard spell/ritual that destroys the moon in one of the 3.5 open license supplements?

In medieval fantasy I wouldnt because it doesn't fit the genre

In High Fantasy it depends on what kind of magic the character has access to but I would go with an involved and time consuming ritual

In one of my home games either a large Titan Class Dreadnought firing its main cannon or someone DBZ blasting it out of the sky

The setting I used for the last example uses Dragonstar and the Immortals Handbook for crazy science fantasy madness

Pardon me, it would take around 50 billion 1 gigaton nukes all detonated in sequence to actually annihilate the moon

I.E. it is completely unfeasible in every way
Only super magic could do it

Tell us about the setting and what technology, magic or god(s) are in it.

Not Medieval but you can very well have some bow that can shoot world destroying arrows.

Magic. The end.

That's what they said about flight.

When will luddite nihilists finally get a clue? Elon musk says we must live in a simulation.

Summon the moon goddess and then murder her. Simple.

Fantasy as in it has magic. My apologies if I misused the term. I was trying to use medieval to specify what time period I was inspired by, not that it was realistically medieval.

It's a rock.

I guess I misused the term. My apologies.

Sure.

There is a light god that went evil a millennium ago - and that's why the character wants to destroy the moon. He sees it as a permanent stain upon the blessed night cast by that evil god.

There are six other gods, primal elemental deities, of the classic set of elements... fire, earth, water, air, lightning, and ice. They were considered aspects of the greater light god a long time ago, but now many of them are worshipped, though not to the same degree as the light god was, for fear of retreading the same mistakes they made a long time ago. It's widely considered a bit foolish to worship gods now, but people do it.

Magic is still a bit up-in-the-air, but I'm thinking it just works by channeling different elements. Clerics channel the elemental deities, wizards exert their force of will over the elements themselves, druids talk to the elemental aspects in the world around them, bards amuse the elements around them, etc.

There are also probably going to be crystals that grow in the setting that can be used to power magitechnology, enchantments, etc. thus letting anyone use a spell if they have a crystal to power it.

Casters can work together to cast larger spells, but at some point - maybe like 12 people? - there's just a top-end to how much magic they can support. At that point, they have to turn to crystals. Again, lots of individual crystals hae a top-end though. The bigger the crystals, the more powerful the spell can get.

I'm not sure I actually want to do all this crystal stuff, just because it might be a bit TOO generic. We wanted to do a story with some classic cliches just for fun, but crystals may be a bit much

And it wouldn't take long for gravity to put all that shit back together again

In short it's essentially indestructible. If a wizard can do it you'll be hard-pressed to explain how he isn't vaporizing the setting's whole pantheon of gods with a sideways glance, figuratively speaking

You can make a big enough explosion that causes each piece to be at earth escape velocity.

Nothing is impossible, that's what they said about going to the moon.

Make it so he doesn't physically destroy the moon. Have him destroy its concept, platonic ideal or something along those lines. Or have the Moon not be the giant lump of rock it is on reality. It can be almost anything

For instance you could make it so the Moon is some sort of magic shield to keep the power of the light god in check

Or, you know, just tell him "no you can't do that". That's always an option and will arguably lead to more interesting roleplaying

Seems like the fastest and safest way.

Children don't respond well to being told no.

Just look at delusional space enthusiasts.

Then you have to explain the deities separate from the 6 elemental gods the guy mentioned,a nd how the fuck a PC is powerful enough to not only summon the moon goddess but then kill her

Remove the hard cap on communions. The cap comes from trying to find enough apprentices & colleagues who are willing to risk their lives to power your superspell.

I'm not asking for advice on how to keep him from destroying it - I'm perfectly okay with him destroying it! I was just curious what kind of plans you all would come up with, that way I have some plot hooks anad ammo for him to find in the setting.

Yeah, that's one problem with my divinity system - it's hard to add extra gods. I could always make them aspects of the larger gods, or a separate kind of 'nature spirit' rather than a universal spirit. Or just not use them at all.

Yeah, that was a safety measure so the nations of the world don't just make giant wizard-armies and have them sit mumbling all day to power nukes. I like that you have to 'risk your lives' for superspells, though... maybe the more people you have in a communion, the more risk of 'blowback' each person suffers?

I just don't want the answer to wars and social problems to be 'get a thousand wizards and throw them at it'.

Shoot asteroids at it in the exact spot over and over until the core is exposed

eventually, any martial class can do it.

But what if that fish was a shark?

Attack its weak point for massive damage

Reduce the moon's HP to 0 before the moon can reduce your HP to 0

kill the goddess of the moon and shatter it with a magic arrow, it's just a pale light in the night without her

I would say with a high powered spell that requires several dozens of top tier magicians and a long time to prepare. We are talking about a celestial body here that influences life on the world so this is the least required to destroy it. Also it will only succeed if there isn't some magic barrier or spell protecting the moon.

I'm willing to bet any setting with magicians that can actually blow up the moon tends to have some form of moon god(dess) who'll take offense to it

I doubt anyone who wants to destroy the moons will be getting any help from the Gods.

Apparently not. See here: However, one of the elemental deities or the light god could take offense.

The moon is an unstable hole in the fabric of reality and you're closing it because reasons via some ancient lunar temple that focuses a beam of light at it, made stronger via a series of lenses that must be positioned inside the temple until it reaches outside and into the moon at an exact moment. Then you do the same with the sol temple and close the sun too.

Well, based on your description I would say have some legendary super crystal that can channel enough magic to make it happen. Then the campaign can be about finding that. If you want to keep going afterwards, you can have the crystal be destroyed in the ritual.

You never know. In my setting, all the gods got together in secret and murdered the god of the moon and leveled his cities so that there's no evidence he ever existed. Maybe some god hates the moon in this setting.

hueg magic laser

Gather thirteen Kings from across the known Kingdoms. Forsaken lineages can be used to meet the number, but must be done sparingly.

Nine kings gather at the center of the Earth, at the equator, at the meridian. Together, they stand with equal spacing to form a circle, denoting the alignment of ideals by the alignment of nine celestial bodies.

The remaining four kings take form with you in an inner circle, at each point of a smaller pentagram, with you at the top. The pentagram must be etched with molten silver mixed with the blood of a thief that yet lives.

As the moon aligns itself with the meridian, have each king relinquish their right to the moon's light to you. Activate the circle and steal the moon.

Crush the moon in your hands and it will thus be gone.

Trick a bunch of high level mages to build a giant laser and then take it over when they are finished.

>And it wouldn't take long for gravity to put all that shit back together again
>In short it's essentially indestructible.

Yeah, that worked out so well for the fifth planet.

That theory is outdated and largely discarded

I love rituals like this.

It's even better when someone skimps on the ingredients and things go terribly wrong.

I actually ran a game with that ritual once and the party stopped it by investigating for weeks to identify the thief-bled and kill him so the ritual would fail.

>Elon musk says we must live in a simulation.

That's fantastic.

To be fair, Arjuna and Ashwanthama almost destroyed the Universe when they each shot a Brahmastra at the other.

Piccolo destoys the moon AGAIN when Gohan transforms during his training before Vegeta shows up. It's as if this series is poorly put together and shitty like all anime.

Well, Dragonball WAS a comedy.

Third sesssion in the current campaign in the party accidentally blew up the moon
>just cleared an abandoned military outpost
>had some magical items
>bitchin.jpg
>go to town
>some members are looking to find what do next
>others trying to get laid
>two of the party members are hell bent on kiling each other
>they take the fight outside
>half-orc fighter and human druid
>fighter has the enchanted blade El Chakal and the druid has the flaming scimitar Mixtape
>Druid is beating the fighter's ass
>Fighter decides to use El Chakal's ability to fire a beam of radiant light to hit the druid
>nat 1
>the power of the blade caught him off guard and he jerked up to hit the moon
>players were promptly arrested
>lycanthropy is no longer a thing in the setting
>it's been six months IRL since that session happened and there still hasn't been a full moon where we can see what the new moon looks like

The beam is THAT powerful!? Holy shit. How is that balanced?

Also, a scimitar named 'Mixtape' is ridiculous.

There's a difference between destroying a rock and space, and being the creator of space and time user.

If we're talking about demi or quasi deities than yes, go nuts.

This is an actual ritual in someone's setting/book?

What if it was a poorly constructed moon? Like, the gods finished making everything, and eventually went "Shit we forgot to make a moon!" and duct taped some rocks together and hoped nobody noticed.

But that's the beauty of Indian myths. One you have a power they won't be taking it from you. So you need to be acting very pious and ascetic for a few hundred years and then enjoy your new powers. That's literally what the Rakshasas did.

The was new and the magic weapons he didn't name them so he allowed the players to name them.

The beam did like 2d12 damage so it shouldn't have destroyed the moon but the dm wanted to play up on the nat1

1°) Whine and whine and whine until your DM agrees to play 3.x/Pathfinder instead of any other better system.
2°) Whine and whine and whine until you're allowed to play a wizard.
2.5°) (optional) Whine and whine and whine until the DM allows you to play a built-to-20 wizard, whatever the intended level of power was, because what's the point of playing D&D if you aren't lvl.20 ?
3°) EITHER whine and whine and whine until you are allowed third party material, and have your wizard character start with the following spell
>Destroy the moon
>Evocation
>Level: Sor/Wiz 1
>Components: V, S, M
>Casting Time: 1 standard action
>Range: Sight
>Target: One natural satellite
>Duration: Instantaneous
>Saving Throw: none
>Spell Resistance: No

>You look at the moon and destroy it.

>Material Component
>A pinch of dust.

A spell that has been thoroughly playtested and balanced by the most potent minds in the whole hobby and that you have found on one of the foremost RPG sites on the Internet.

OR Do some spell research of your own to essentially recreate the "destroy the moon" spell above, constantly arguing that all facilitations and lowering of costs are done because it's such a weak circumstantial spell of little interest that has no bearing in combat.
4°) Cast "destroy the moon."
5°) Congratulate yourself for your clever play and mastery of the system.