What is your favourite type of apocalypse Veeky Forums? what is your less favourite?

What is your favourite type of apocalypse Veeky Forums? what is your less favourite?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!PFFQGLQK!xPoPECvTSzx_DL2qNU8kB5gm9R2VMUfFu5vinGHdHgw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Favorite
Ancient prophecy that most people have dismissed after thousands of years that winds up holding merit, a series of events that trigger world shattering earthquakes or meteors crashing from the heavens

>Least favorite
Demon invasions, or any kind of "Third Party enters the setting and makes the conflicting factions team up to save the day"

>Favorite
"This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper." ~ T.S. Elliot. I actually first heard this poem on an episode of goose bumps. if I remember correctly a kid just wakes up one day to find that everybody else is just gone. or some shit like that.

>least favorite
natural disasters like solar flares or tornadoes. only a faggot dies from wind.

I don't like the kind of apocalypse where everyone immediately becomes an asshole as soon as shit goes down.

>Favorite
Zombies! I know its overdone, but it's my favorite
>Least favorite
Nuclear. That doesn't leave much fun for anything

>Favourite
Regular, scheduled genocide by the gods themselves. They then start a new race learning from the mistakes they made in creating the old one.

>Least Favourite
The world collapses into itself.

>Favorite
Green apocalypse. Best scenery, hands-down. I also really enjoy the idea of subsequent generations building on their predecessors, literally and metaphorically.

>Least favorite
Zombies. Fuck zombies, they don't even make any sense and the only way for an outbreak to happen is for everybody in the world to suddenly turn retarded, or to diverge from the source material so far that they might as well not be zombies any more.

What is the worst apocalpse where society can recreate itself in less than 100 years?

>Most

Modeled on historic Civilization collapse. It can be climactic, like what did for the Chaco Canyon civilization; raiders/resource constraints, like the late Bronze age collapse. Internal and external strife like what did for Western Rome.

Everything becomes more local, smaller scale, all the great projects are abandoned because they no longer serve any purpose for a fragmented culture, and no-one has the resources to build or maintain. Lots of self recriminating cults, and vague cultural institutions providing a semblance of political unity and order.

>Least

Anything where everyone immediately freaks the fuck out and starts killing everyone else.

My favorite is one that totally wipes out all life, with no survivors.

My least favorite is one that some pocket of survivors manage to pull through and rebuild.

If there is a "post-" to your "apocalypse", it's a pretty fucking half-assed "apocalypse" in my book.

Funnily enough, the answer to both is the zombie apocalypse. When zombie apocalypses are good even the generic zombies aren't slow shamblers, there's weird and fucked up super zombies, and just in general it looks like someone went to town having fun messing with corpses. Now when the zombie apocalypse goes wrong, you get none of that. If all you've got to bring to the table is some slow moving idiots with a glaring weak point, then there's nothing new or interesting there.

>Ancient prophecy that most people have dismissed after thousands of years that winds up holding merit, a series of events that trigger world shattering earthquakes or meteors crashing from the heavens
Spotted a jew.

Y2K was true.

>Favourite

Anything biblical or demonic

>Least favourite

Robot uprising

>favourite
Dustbowl, Mad Max-style shit. Almost everyone who would tell you that your ideas are shit have long perished. Be flamboyant. Drive a hybrid El Camino. Mount SMGs to your wrists. Accept that the only path to immortality is to be as bitchin' as possible so that your legend carries on long after you've given up the ghost.

>least favourite
Hardline Nuclear Winter. The more I can imagine your campaign taking pages from an Oregon survivalist militia as inspiration, the more I'd rather be dealing with zombie apocalypse instead.

And I fucking hate zombie apocalypse.

I kinda feel like that's the point of the genre.

>Best:
Most everybody just decided to leave one day. No idea where they went.

>Worst:
"Yeah, no, keep those assholes fighting each other. If either side wins, they'll hang the rest of us from the lamp posts."

>least favorite
Post-apoc in general is not my genre, but zombie apocalypses I have an exceptional dislike for. If I have to have a least favorite, it's the kind with a definitive end rather than an open one.

>favorite
I suppose I'm a fan of post-post apocalypse where people are starting to rebuild stuff, rather than just fucking around being shitty and everything is terrible.

Is it? Seems like as soon as shit starts going down, everyone involved puts their pantsu on their heads and starts banging their heads against the pavement, making the worst possible decisions, and choosing the worst possible moments to have a breakdown. I guess muh drama and muh grimdark, but there's a limit to how much "well, I guess everything's bad again" I can take.

>Favorite

Alien invasion. Particularly one where humans either escape or beat them back right before total extinction.

>Least Favorite
Doomsday Asteroid is going to hit earth. It's usually pretty depressing since that's always a very real possibility.

The point of it is more that "scarcity causes conflict", I think. So, it's not people being assholes, but selfishness and protectionism becoming people's central concerns.

Though I agree, you need a few people who think everyone's stronger together. Since you need them to rebuild society

The kind of apocalypse that doesn't become an apocalypse until the players fuck it up.

Running a campaign where things were behaving like they obviously shouldn't because someone literally got rid of every single god, for the sake of freeing mortal beings from the petty yet bloody grudges and conflicts of otherworldly beings that have been the cause of constant religious and cultist disputes and wars.
Naturally, instead of finding out the exact nature of how and why all this happened, the players are charging head first into restoring the world "as it should be" despite knowing that the first thing that will happen is an all out, likely apocalyptic invasion of the celestial/infernal forces, desperate to reclaim control.

>Favorite
Disease wipes out a large enough chunk of the population to lead to a societal collapse

>least favorite
Climate change. SNORE

>fave

The world's geological community expresses dismay over new readings
concerning the Earth's "core seismology" while our astronomers report
simultaneous unprecedented sunspot and flare activity AND a planetary
alignment wherein a previously unknown rogue Black Body orbiting
outside - and perpendicular to - the path of Neptune is discovered
when it is seen to sling a large, random green-ice asteroid down the
alignment and through the Earth's upper atmosphere, triggering quakes,
tsunamis and widespread vulcanism which prompt the rise of dozens of
Death Cults portending the weakening of "inter-planar borders," the
resurgence of "magic," the opening of "ancient portals to inter-
dimensional worlds," the imminent arrival of the space-faring "Old
Ones and their supernatural pantheon," The End Times, The Rapture or
just plain Ragnarok. Nuclear, fundamentalist, middle-eastern goatherds
soon ecstatically exchange their last Nuclear, Biological and Chemical
genocide/ suicide salvoes, which results in the end of systemic human
slavery and goat molestation, but also in severe atmospheric ozone
depletion and a Nuclear Winter, heralding the collapse of everything
Man once knew of his planet's ecosystem. Then, the lights of Global
Civilization finally go out - just after our few remaining scientific
communities deign to cease development of "cures" for ED and MPB long
enough to report the "fascinating" mutation of a minor Asian influenza
pathogen which will (much later) be designated "Vector Zed" ...

>least fave

Anything less.

My two favorites are Post war nuclear, biological, chemical (NBC) or ABC for you Dredd heads. Gonzo apocalypse with robots, mutants, magic/psychics, cyborgs, fricken lasers. And the more realism styled Twilight 2000 or Morrow Project.

My least favorites would be Fallout. The over the top cheesy campiness has tired to me. Also the glaring logic errors of the zombie genre. That all rotters would be decaying mulch in under a year and a mass die off means no material scarcity in the short term. There isn't going to be a shortage of small arms ammo for hundreds of years in the USA with 99% of the population dead.

Favourite apocalypse:
Green apocalypses, where humanity has died out for whatever reason while leaving earth's ability to support life intact. Overgrown cities, animals reclaiming buildings, the world beginning to "forget" humanity's existance.

Least favourite:
Zombie apocalypse. so overdone.

The blanket of the end. a phrocecy where the god of boredom and sleep will arrive in the material plane and put every single creature into an eternal slumber
>least
im not too big on apocalypses that set back technology/history back like two thousand years.

Me and a few other fa/tg/uys were translating a Polish-made system that fits a description of your most favourite.
It's called Neuroshima. there's also a more widely-known board game neuroshima HEX!
and a card game "51st State"
mega.nz/#!PFFQGLQK!xPoPECvTSzx_DL2qNU8kB5gm9R2VMUfFu5vinGHdHgw here's a mega link, since for some reason pdf doesn't get uploaded.

anyone know something similar to bprd hell on earth: apocalipse caused by lovecraftian or similar monsters?

Yes is awesome I saw the thread on it. Sounds great! Some Polish anons trashed the game though.

>Favorite
"The floor is now lava"-type of apocalypse. Civilization must retreat either high up or deep down to escape the dangers that now lurk were they used to live. Flooded cities, people living on the roofs of their houses, or creating a new society in a network of tunnels deep below.

Also, preferably people still cooperating to a good degree. The part I enjoy the most out of apocalyptic scenarios are the haphazard settlements and societies that start popping up after the disaster.

Massive, slowly collapsing ghost cities are also nice, though.

>Least favorite
Probably robot uprising. It's like alien invasion lite, without any of the sweet imagery associated with otherworldly beings. Also, it's more of a "La Resistance" scenario than a proper "end of times".

he also said that The witcher TV (pic related) series was good.
Arguments like "ruined tabletop RPG's in Poland for years" don't really mean much.

>Doomsday Asteroid is going to hit earth. It's usually pretty depressing since that's always a very real possibility.
bbut studing the space is a worthless thing

It's "worth less" in the sense that we get many many times more value for our dollar out of studying the ocean. And detecting incoming asteroids is pretty easy by our modern standards.

This guy knows what's up.

I also like it where humans aren't necessarily wiped out, but where modern human civilization is, so humanity is reduced to disparate tribal groups and an occasional region of points of light early feudalism, or even an empire, but everything takes modern cultures and shoves it full of mysticism, and there's forests grown back in between and things that are now normal are through the lens of the ignorant and made of magic and tall tales.

Anything that kills like 90% of the population but doesn't destroy much infrastructure.

Demons are the second party, aren't they? I've normally seen the fey considered the third.

>favorite
A slow but ultimately painful collapse for a civilization like our own. No great fires no sweeping declarations just ran out of time and the hydraulic empire retracted yet again leaving behind monuments untold and wonders to marvel at. Its one of my pet settings right with a story based in what was upstate new york.

>Least favorite
fucking zombies, its tired its rehashed and I'm not saying it cant be fun but good god its gotten stale by this point.

Best is robots, worst is zombies.

This is FACT.

Robots seem a zero win for humanity though it'll be an immensely unfair fight.

>Favorite
Mad Max apocalypse. Things just keep getting a little worse bit by bit until one day you realize you're wearing spiky football pads and driving around the wasteland in a 1960s muscle car with scrap metal bolted on all over it.

>Least Favorite
Zombies.

Least:
I want to say Zombies. Unless it's really well done a la The Last Of Us.
Other than that, Fallout. The first two were pretty good. Everything Bethesda's done is just cheese to the max, and that just shits me.

Best:
Most, really. Super gritty The Road stuff. Standard post-nuclear like Wasteland. Slow collapse/New Western stuff can be cool, and it's a nice change of pace knowing that towns aren't full of d-bags.

>"ruined tabletop RPG's in Poland for years"
Because some people were playing a game that they didn't like instead of running 3.PF for them?

Favourite
Mad max-esque wild west post apocalyptic shit show caused by resource depletion, bonus points if zombies involved

Least favourite
Virus / super flu kills everyone

One where you die as fast as possible. The one I have to witness.

Hey now climate change made for a good apocalypse in the movie Snowpiercer

>least favorite
Some sort of magical bullshit. "Oh god is burning the world to cleanse it."

>favorite
Disease-caused. Infertility, zombies, you name it.

No reasons as to why and how exactly, they said it was filled with references (jury-rigging perk invoked MacGuyver through the name "swiss knife and a bit of wire") and they didn't like them.
Still, i like the system, 3d20 really plays nice, and if you have autistic gm who can add up numbers very fast then it's perfect.

Good:
>Earth is gone. Humans are in a diaspora, but don't have any sort of hegemony or power base.
>Ecological collapse or disease. Especially if actually dealing with food, water, quarantine, and triage become significant in the story.
>Any kind of historicity. The kind where there's still power and law, but everything's just destabilized and local and now there's a scary as fuck hinterland you might flee to or be exiled to.

Bad:
>Earth is discarded, but for some reason humans are in charge, on a council, or just present fucking everywhere.
>War or zombies. Especially if no one seems to give a shit about an eventual lasting peace. Even locals who have a lot to lose or leaders who have achieved a cushy position in the new world.
>There's lots of characters, as if the population is getting dense (even if their geographical reach is reduced), but no community anywhere seems to cohere for more than like... a year in world.

That movie was the most trite "Marxism for kids" shitfest I've ever seen.
I'll never understand why it's so popular.

>That movie was the most trite "Marxism for kids" shitfest I've ever seen.
Key to understanding is in your hands.
Reminder that all Marx's theories and writing is literally "Talmud simplified: dumb, disguting goyim edition"

depends on how far spread these 10% are, and where?
Equally placed? Most die.
One continent? Depends on the continent but survivable
One country? breddy gud depending on the country

>Favourite
A big ol' natural act of god style calamity. Giant floods, earthquakes swallowing cities, meteors and ice ages nobody's prepared for. Something simplistic, something you can't fight, just try to weather (heh).

>Least favourite
Zombies or some kind of invasion. Anything where a third party that's fightable but wins anyway and forces conflicting nations and parties to unite in a futile fight against it. Boring, because why does anything remain after the third party invades? Why not properly wipe everyone out?