/mtg/ - Standard

Playmats Edition

>Brewin'
>Nettin'
>Losin' anyway

How effective is spell shrivel or negate against R/G Ramp? Like, If I Negate one of their Rampant Growths, does that theoretically buy me more than one turn?

And, because the ramp is usually for Ulamog, would Spell Shrivel be worth sideboarding, since they most likely won't have 4 mana up to cancel the counter?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/goblins-soi/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

my deck w/o board r/n.

What's the theme? I don't know what approach this is other than bant humans.

Eldritch Moon spoilers when?

I already bought into U/W spirits expecting EM to make it T1. I still gotta get my Anafenzas though.

What are you guys hoping from the Walker decks that are to replace intro packs?

Standard playable Walkers and Uncommons.

>Standard playable Walkers
Hahaha. No. They've already said that the walkers will be expensive to cast but splashable. I'm expecting another 6CMC Chandra, hell maybe 7CMC.

Uncommons are gonna be interesting though. I am expecting to be let down by them just being uncommon Oath of Chandras like permanents though.

Dumb question

Dragon Fodder in midrange y/n?

I'm working on a similar deck

Oaths.dec

Creatures: 10
>Blisterpod x4
>Hangarback Walker x4
>Whirler Rogue x2

Planeswalkers: 8
>Nissa, Voice of Zendikar x3
>Sorin, Solemn Visitor x2
>Gideon, Ally of Zendikar x3

Enchantments: 18
>Cryptolith Rite x3
>Oath of Nissa x4
>Oath of Gideon x3
>Oath of Jace x2
>Starfield of Nyx x3
>Sigil of the Empty Throne x3

Lands: 24
>Port Town x2
>Fortified Town x2
>Prairie Stream x2
>Canopy Vista x2
>Plains x3
>Island x3
>Forest x3
>Westvale Abbey x3

Its an enchantment-based tokens/walkers control deck. It abuses the legendary rule to recur Oaths with Starfield of Nyx and get your brand of free value of choice each turn.

You do know solemn visitor rotated other right user?

*out
Fuck mobile posting

Then change it for your choice of Chandra Flamecaller or Sarkhan Unbroken.

>>Brewin'
Was on Naya Midrange before the hype (Jeskai Harbinger a month before anybody else as well)

>>Nettin'
Sold out for a new hardtail mtb. Kept Goblins (STD) and Death & Taxes (LGC & MDN).

>>Losin' anyway
git gud

CURRENT LIST
Standard Goblins
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/goblins-soi/

>Creature (24)
4x Abbot of Keral Keep
4x Goblin Glory Chaser
4x Goblin Piledriver
4x Lavastep Raider
4x Reckless Bushwhacker
4x Subterranean Scout

>Instant (11)
4x Atarka's Command
3x Fiery Impulse
4x Titan's Strength

>Land (21)
4x Cinder Glade
4x Game Trail
13x Mountain

>Sorcery (4)
4x Dragon Fodder

>Sideboard (15)
4x Clip Wings
1x Fiery Impulse
2x Goblin Dark-Dwellers
4x Rending Volley
4x Roast

>Sideboard (15)
3x Clip Wings
1x Fiery Impulse
2x Goblin Dark-Dwellers
3x Rending Volley
3x Roast
3x Natural State

THIS FUCKING MONO-U PRISION holy fuck

right? last time i got this feeling from magic cards it was the first time i resolved a notion thief in response to jtms 0 ability.

>brewin'
I'm toying around with an Abzan Aristocrats build that has Eldrazi Displacer and Brood Monitor for infinite damage.
If that doesn't work, I'm thinking a jeskai displacer build that abuses ETB effects (pia & kiran, avacyn, GDD, reflector mage, etc).

>nettin'
Playing around with Oliver Tiu's Grixis list. It's pretty fun so far.

>losin' anyway
Of course. Veeky Forums is bad at magic.

And as for your ramp question, negate kills ramp.
>jaddi offshoot t1
>cryptolith rite t2
>cast explosive veggie t3
>lol negate
>scoop

Stumbled across Akoum Hellkite + Retreat to Hagra = slinging deathballs after playing a deck with the two of them in it on duels

AYO TEACH user'S GOT THAT THING IN THE ICE IN HIS BLUE RED AGGRO DECK

Can you Kolaghans command during someones draw step to make them discard before they go to their mainphase?

yes

during their untap step (preferably upkeep, but most people will immediately untap and draw if there aren't any upkeep effects) you need to announce "I have effects for the end of your draw step (you can further clarify your intent by adding 'after you draw')" so that they don't judge call you for not announcing effects or attempting to misrepresent gamestate.

picture unrelated

Alright thanks

There is no point in them printing even more shitty Chandra walkers they've done that enough. Either make them playable but dirt cheap due to printing or don't bother.
Wizards is really retarded some times.

No playing a 2/2 is usually better, especially with how many 2/2s have an effect. You really only play DF in a deck based around prowess or something like Monastery Mentor.

>standard thread barely 20 posts
>modern thread every hour on the hour

makes sense i guess if we're actually mostly NEETs and stinkfats with normies being the outlier.

Also Standard has stagnated a bit due to the new set not even being spoilered yet to stir brewing.

Since this thread is dead, about to hit page 10, I wanna stimulate some conversation.

This is gonna sound like a pretty shit opinion but I feel like with Wizards gutting core sets and one of the sets each block has, there's a lot more room for reprints than before.
With three blocks - three themes - now being the focus of Standard, Wizards is only going to reap a lack of variety in decks I feel. A lot of the shit printed in SoI was printed purely to supplement the decks main themes, either as functional (Broken Concentration) or straight (Lightning Axe) reprints. The problem is people will only run things for one reason - to support their goal. If they don't want to be constantly discarding their shit, they won't want what SoI is offering. If Kaladesh has no rummagers, looters, or anything of the sorts, people running decks with madness/grave setup are going to most likely ignore it entirely. Meanwhile, a deck not looking to utilize those will look to options like Read the Bones or Anticipate over Catalog or Tormenting Voice. Decks just aren't gonna want stuff that doesn't support it, and people more often than not might move to other decks just because they want to play with new stuff, ignoring a chunk of the content older sets have to offer. This is a huge design flaw I feel, not something Wizards wants. I feel if they want to find success in this new system, they need to give more reprints - probably in the smaller sets - so that color can have better options that don't force them into specific mechanical themes.

I stopped playing modern for standard. Standard is pretty good right now.

I am playing sultai seasons past and having a fucking blast.

I'm really excited to get into standard once coco rotates out. My soi decks are solid and I have enough extra fluff to trade into whatever deck I want.

Also going to state I think brain in a jar of highly under valued and there is still plenty of opportunity for some really creative and competitive decks based around it.

Also rise from the tides is fucking awesome.

The new cards in these Planeswalker decks won't be standard legal.

>I love spending 250 dollars on stuff every 6 months, that I'll put in a box to never be used again after a year.

So. I have cash and spare time and a couple of friends who are into this.

I guess this is as good a place to ask, if I have no plans to compete or anything, should I restrict myself to a specific format of play?

Or should I just buy from the new blocks?

If I wanted to pick up a used/outdated deck for cheaper would it be massively underpowered, or would a new block be overpowered?

Finally, if anyone wants to give me a quick and dirty on the best way to start with casual play with friends who are not casual players that would be nice.

Once again, money isn't an issue but I want to have fun games with friends. Right now we're just using their cards and doing draft picks for decks, but it would be kind of nice to play a theme.

I had a deck a long time ago, but that was 2001 and I played white/red with a focus on banding creatures for blocking and flying and nukes.

So I know the terminology and all, I just have no idea about strategy or culture or etiquette.

I am going to ask my friends about it too, but I figure this is a good place to get different opinions.

SOI was the first set to follow this set paradigm and there was like no reprints.

They will rarely give us reprints and when they do they will be less than 5 at a time, with one being playable with a rarity boost.

It's bant humans you fucking idiot. just my take on it. I can't afford Coco, so I use Oath. I also like hanweir militia captain a lot, so it makes sense to throw in a couple Westvale Abbeys

>I can't afford Coco
should have bought them while they were $3

i told you man
i TOLD you about company

I didn't get into standard until SOI came out. I wasn't even playing magic at the time

> spent maybe a 100 bucks, have enough for two standard decks and enough left over to trade into whatever I want in the next block
I'll admit I got lucky and this usually won't be the case, but to be honest I'm alright with spending that every six months or so. I actually kind of like playing in a rotating format as it feels fresh on each rotation. Sitting on one deck for years is boring to me.

I built my standard deck entirely of prizes from drafting/sealed

They will be tho.

>They've already said that the walkers will be expensive to cast but splashable.
And the block after kaladesh they'll throw it all out the window and make a 5 mana walker that rapes everything. Because money.

r8 my memes

4/10

Just max out the advocates bro. Also what is the point of playing white without Sorin?

I'm waiting on the 4th advocate from pucatrade actually. Got the points, just waiting for someone to sell.

Sorin's a valid point, it's just that every time I'm about to trade for him the price goes up another $10 or so. I'll pick one up soon.

Ah, I'm playing the sultai version right now. I hate infinite obliteration, I am about to cut it from the side. Might add a 3rd Kalitas.

>Drop your stream due to "technical difficulties"
>For over an hour
>While charging people to be in the chat

This shit is unacceptable.

I wanted to watch Cedric too

>tfw I have a foil sorin that never sees play because my deck never allows the game to last that long

If you can find some Magic Origins clash packs then buy them up and get 4. There is seriously good value in those clash packs.

Who else /in love with the CoCo/ here?

I love that it's rotating out with em.

Is eldritch moon spoilers this week?

>so that color can have better options that don't force them into specific mechanical themes.
>giving [color] everything it needs because muh variety
What are you high?

it rotates on september 30th, friend.

Which format staples do I need to buy into Standard? I play Modern mostly and getting sick of it.

Brewing this CoColess Bant clue

Land (23)
2x Canopy Vista
3x Evolving Wilds
5x Forest
2x Fortified Village
1x Island
4x Plains
1x Port Town
2x Prairie Stream
3x Yavimaya Coast

Creature (30)
4x Bounding Krasis
4x Bygone Bishop
3x Duskwatch Recruiter Flip
3x Lambholt Pacifist Flip
4x Reflector Mage
4x Sylvan Advocate
4x Thraben Inspector
4x Tireless Tracker

Instant (4)
4x Dromoka's Command

Enchantment (3)
3x Always Watching

Sideboard (15)
3x Clip Wings
4x Negate
3x Pulse of Murasa
3x Stasis Snare
2x Void Grafter

Still debating whether to get the CoCo or just go Avacyn. Ideas?

damn this wait for spoilers is killing me.

Why the pacifist? 3/3 for 2 dealio?

Because she's my first and possibly only Magic waifu. Also, she gets turned on quite easily, with 4x Dcommands and the Always Watchings. Against aggro, she's there to scare off the small attackers, and against control, I find my opponents really wanting to kill her fast as she threatens to flip and becomes 4/4. Still needs more testing, though, and I'm quite ready to accept that she may not be that great.

>not best waifu
you're waifu a shit

Nigga wat

Thalia ain't standard legal dumb dumb

think we'll get a new Thalia in edm?

Of course, but she'll be bad.

>Being all coy and disney princess-esque by day and literally butchering villagers as a fucking buffed wolfgirl by night.
>That flavor text
>Not the best waifu

Please.

What's 'EDM'?

Eldritch Moon

If you buy into Vamps, maybe even get that Gruul aggro shit down, I'm thinking Eldritch Moon will have a decent amount of backing for both tribal styles.

The "winners" lately have been bant company, which can go fuck itself.. So unless you have 4 jace, or want to play the most boring deck in humanity, I'd scrap that idea.

No, that's EMN.