What would a Polynesian-inspired fantasy setting look like?

What would a Polynesian-inspired fantasy setting look like?

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/tg/thread/S30925160#p30927203
hariragat.blogspot.com.br/search/label/hari ragat
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Tiki warforged.

Kopaka is best Bionicle

Kopaka is an edgelord.

Reminder that of the 9 Toa that answered Turaga Dume's call to fight the Kanohi Dragon, 5 of them were Toa of Ice.

That's terrible team balance!

Because fighting fire with ice is logical.

What about the water toas?

Hell yeah, motherfucker

This thread again.

Yay.

Let's not forget these guys.

Gotcha covered.
warosu.org/tg/thread/S30925160#p30927203

I thought it was 4?

Depends, do you want it based in Polynesian culture and mythology, or just bland tiki shit and hula slut stereotypes?

Can it be both?

I concede that, but Pohatu was one of the most competent of the team in the comics.

Not sure, don't know enough about Polyneasian culture to make a determination. But I support this thread.

The Maori Warchants are fucking cool.

A bunch of potato eating brown boys battering each other and their kids with sticks.

Wait no that's just new zealand.

A bunch of burly brown guys battering eachother and their kids while cheerily singing and chanting.

mah niggah

Does anybody know any rpgs that use genealogy as part of their character creation?

If you can stomach the fact that it's Pathfinder-based, the native culture in the Razor Coast campaign-setting is clearly based on Hawai'ian/'Nesian societies.

Fate of the Norns does.

You mean, besides Bionicle?

It would have to involve the ocean somehow. I mean, we're talking about Polynesians here. These are the people who can read the wind and waves so well that they don't need a compass to navigate. (I believe the phrase "vaka rangi" roughly translates to "the canoes are our lives".) They see the ocean as connecting their little islands, not separating them.

A fantasy setting based on that would have to include the ocean somehow. Battles or collaborations between wind and water mages. Shapeshifters who turn into albatrosses. Monsters of the deep. The ocean as the source of a mage's power. Sacrifices to win the favor of a dangerous sea. That kind of thing. Maybe a campaign where your heroes are trying to find the fantasy equivalent of Hawaii?

Or something like Waterworld, with giant colonies floating on the waves. Or colonies living atop the clouds. I don't know. Something that makes full use of the Ocean as a setting. It's not just a vast nothingness between islands.

Thats a weird way to spell Onua

Hahli a cute! Cute!

I tired building a setting based on ancient hawaii and the conquests of Kamehameha the great. Played up the mythical aspects of his life, like him being born under a comet and having immense super human strength. Also changed the other Hawaiian islands he conquered into the other pacific archipelagos, with the NOTMaoris begin his final and toughest challenge.

Hawaiian mythology had a lot of emphasis on heroes and demigods with exaggerated superhuman powers and weapons, tricksters, and sex. You can out a lot of sexual aspects in the setting without it being realism breaking magical realm. I'd recommend looking up the stories about Maui, Pele and Kamaoua'a. In one story, Pele and her companion are being chased by the pig God kamapua'a, and to get rid of him he companion detaches her vagina and sends it flying across the islands. The pig God, as is his nature, follows this instead and stops his pursuit of the women.

There's a lot of information on Hawaiian myrhology if you know where to look, and lots to work with on setting building

hariragat.blogspot.com.br/search/label/hari ragat

This guy been doing this. He also has great info about the region for one to use.