So, a friend of mine has been wanting to get the Chaos models in the Dark Vengeance box...

So, a friend of mine has been wanting to get the Chaos models in the Dark Vengeance box, and I've decided to go halvsies with him and take the Dark Angels.

However, I usually need to find an aspect of an army that I love before I can get fully behind them. I've been reading the Dark Angels codex, and they seem to be much bigger dicks than I thought. In addition to that, the codex only ever fixates on their OBSESSION with hunting the Fallen and make it seem like they do literally nothing else. Same for their successors outside of the Guardians of the Covenant (who I loved beforehand).

Do these massive, throbbing dicks have any redeeming qualities? Does the 7th edition codex exacerbate their obsession with the Fallen compared to previous editions?

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Space_Marine_Chapter_Creation_Tables
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lionel_Johnson
en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Lionel_Johnson#The_Dark_Angel_.281895.29
youtube.com/watch?v=Bo_n0IPsC7g
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Play one of their successor chapters.

Angels of Absolution are similar, but they're not as obsessed with the Fallen.

Alternatively, you can make your own chapter and play them. 40k is great for stuff like that.

Are the models in Dark Vengeance pre painted and everything?

They have a sick rivalry with the space wolfes dating back to before the Horus Heresy. The end result is that every time DA and SW meet they each pick their bravest warrior to fight a duel of honor. Dark angels are all about honor, but their own comes first. I would suggest you read the HH books about them before making any decisions.

Selling the models is also an option.

Yeah, I was considering going with either the Guardians of the Covenant or a chapter of my own creation. The question was more of a general one, though.

Dark Angels are dickbags incarnate.

They'll kill any number of their so called allies to capture a single Fallen. They'll ruin long term operational plans to do the same.

if you need an easy guide for this
1d4chan.org/wiki/Space_Marine_Chapter_Creation_Tables

>Dark
>Angels
what were you expecting, of course they're gonna be assholes

It's because they're written wrong, their primary author, Gav Thorpe, is an utter hack.

Dark Angels at their best are not obsessed with the Fallen out of hatred or shame, it is love. Intense brotherly, familial love like you would love a sibling, the Dark Angels fight naught to purge the Fallen, but to save them from the damnation of Chaos. Unlike all other Chaos Space Marines, the Fallen did not truly have a choice in their fall to chaos as they were deceived by Luther, if not raised by him while he was tainted by Chaos. Their souls are not entirely forsaken like those of the Iron Warriors or those legions that swore themselves to the Dark Gods- but there is a chance that they may be torn from Chaos and returned to the Emperor for salvation. Every Fallen that repents his sins sheds the taint of Chaos and is spared the misery of being torn asunder by Daemons for eternity.

The hunt of the fallen is not an endeavor of selfishness, but one of selflessness. One cannot let family suffer such a horrible fate as the Fallen have unwittingly doomed themselves to, they must be redeemed and cleansed.

Do the Fallen rejoin the chapter if they accept Jesus into their life, or is it a "If you repent you get a clean death" sort of thing?

if the fallen are caught by the dark angels or their successors they "repent" in the sense they're tortured to death to glean more information as to where the next fallen is.

At least that's what I take from most of their writings.

If they confess everything they still get executed, but their soul is cleansed.

I believe Luther is the only traitor captive that's been kept alive up to this point.

>Fallen
>Rejoin
BY THE LION

Cypher as well. Every time Cypher has been captured he's been released because he was needed to save the Chapter.

Redeeming qualities:
-Arguably the best marine aesthetics
-Lots of archaeotech
-Good power/cheese balance, you can make strong fluffy lists without being accused of being a fag
-They're as villainous or as heroic as you want them to be. Read up on the 3rd Company's relief of a Hive besieged by Daemons on the 4th Ed Codex. They didn't even purge the citizens afterwards
-A knight in shining armor never had his metal truly tested, if you like anti-heroes they have an enormous potential to be just that

Greatest successor of all time coming through.

They have lots of cool aspects, like being a bunch of plasma pistol dual-wielding madmen, basing promotions on curiosity rather than deeds, and other little traditions like their special swords. Also to my knowledge they are one of the only chapters to keep so close to their successors that they all refer to each other as brothers and not cousins, unlike the Ultras or the Blood Angels.

That's because the Dark Angels never split user. Azrael is called Supreme Grand Master because he is the head of the LEGION.

Making them all heretics.

What?

Guilliman's Codex has fuck-all to do with Heresy. The Space Wolves completely ignore it as well and told everybody to go fuck themselves if they had a problem. Splitting up the Legions was a mistake that simply made the Imperium weaker.

Hell, the Ultramarines even have a senate for their successors. They kinda dance around the Codex Astartes, too.

The Ultramarines are the ultimate hypocrites as they break their own Codex. The Codex is specifically supposed to stop Space Marines from having large private armies and large fleets, and what do the Ultramarines do?

They have fuck-huge fleets comprised of Imperial Navy ships and private armies levied from MULTIPLE planets on demand.

If Gav Thorpe is a hack, then whoever came up with that is a fucking retard.

This user has the right idea. Dark Angels have tons of style and coolness factor, like general chapter aesthetics, Ravenwing bike squadrons, who are essentially biker knights, rivaling (or even surpassing, depending on who you ask) White Scars in the riding area, plasma weapons everywhere, and other things.
Their anti-heroic nature is obvious and is already noted, but they have enough ourely heroic stories under their belt. Like, do I need to remind you how Deathwing got it's current colours? Also,

>They'll kill any number of their so called allies to capture a single Fallen. They'll ruin long term operational plans to do the same.

Nigger, read "Angels of Darkness", especially how it ends and why it ends like that. Boreas had the right idea.

Also, their obsession with the Fallen may be their defining characteristic (especially in the memespace), but this also makes them good at situations where you need to grit your teeth and pull through. Sorta like Imperial Fists, only without focusing on defence and fortifications. If you like stories about characters who make it opn sheer determination alone, DA has lots of potential for that as well.

Ultramarines, go away, nobody likes you.

>Their anti-heroic nature is obvious and is already noted, but they have enough ourely heroic stories under their belt. Like, do I need to remind you how Deathwing got it's current colours? Also,
Not canon. The Deathwing story either is no longer canon or simply has been forgotten and paved over.

>Nigger, read "Angels of Darkness", especially how it ends and why it ends like that. Boreas had the right idea.
New Legacy of Caliban series had him turned into a cowardly traitor that the Dark Angels command hates.

I knew that brother-captain, I think it's one of the cooler things about them.

You better prepare for dicks, and I mean receiving them, because the Dark Angels are also known as the Gay Legion. Their primarch was modeled on the homosexual Lionel Johnson and his poem The Dark Angel.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lionel_Johnson

en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Lionel_Johnson#The_Dark_Angel_.281895.29

The emperor chose Lion El Jonson as his first primarch primarily for his fellatio abilities. Afterward Lion El Jonson forcibly injected his entire legion with his gay gene seed. Lion El Jonson and the emperor are frequently the subject of wincest threads because of this. Yes, the emperor molested him as a youth. CNN even did a documentary on Lion El Jonson.

youtube.com/watch?v=Bo_n0IPsC7g

>implying the Ultramarines and Blood Angels are not gayer.

>all this projecting

Haven't read the most recent stuff, but wasn't there a thing about Dark Angels travelling through time? Also Fallen are really cool as far as renegades go, so if you wanted you could just use the dark vengeance models as conversation fodder for some Fallen.

>Dark Angels being gay has never been (nor will it ever be) funny.

>-Arguably the best marine aesthetics

Bathrobes are shit, come at me.

Who has the best accessories, then?

The Fallen were taken from the destruction of Caliban by the Chaos Gods and then scattered across space and time.