What's the hardest you've ever failed at fighting a relatively simple monster?

What's the hardest you've ever failed at fighting a relatively simple monster?

>be in spoopy haunted house dungeon, level 1
>just survived encounter from animated armor
>start tentatively exploring rooms
>team cleric goes into bathroom
>lol it's a bathroom
>as he turns around, he gets his ass whacked by an animated broom, 1/4CR, 15AC, 20hp
>half heath
>the fucker can multiattack, 1d6+2 each
>cleric fights it fails all of his rolls, fighter and druid eventually join in
>knocks out cleric
>fighter fails all rolls except one, does like 6 damage
>he's knocked out
>fucking druid has a god damn epic 5-round fight with this thing, uses all is spell solts on healing word
>at some point cleric bleeds out
>it's a fucking wood broom
>druid finally manages to snap it in half with thorn whip
>DM is nearly on the floor at this point
>he has to take like a ten minute break just to collect himself
>mfw
>fighter and druid now take disadvantage on all rolls involving brooms
>

A party of 4 taken down coconut crabs.

Outmaneuvered, and out matched, and cut off.

>A grown man cannot simply grab an animated wooden stick and snap it over their knee

Shit DM or shit ruleset?

Shit rolls.

Not me failing but a monster failing.

>exploring dungeon as 5th lvl party.
>rust monster appears
>my character has no clue wtf it is
>creature fails 3 consecutive touch attacks against my armor
>must be friendly guise
>follows our group until we get to an old abandoned kitchen above the cave
>creature dives straight for the pans and consumes them
>oh
>collect all of the utensils and use them as treats
>gain pet rust monster and name him Mr. Copperbottom

Four fucking goblins almost took out my entire party of first level adventurers because they kept missing and running from attacks like girls. The sorceror and the druid kept trying to hide behind each other while the dragonborn fighter one-shot every single goblin.

We haven't had so much fun in a long time. Thanks for introducing me to tabletop, Veeky Forums

Our Cleric got dropped by the exact same broom you're talking about while trying to find a place to hide from a ghost. It was hilarious.

Especially because she got back up and then immediately got one-shot killed by the ghost (3d6 damage to maximum HP, maximum 10 HP Cleric, 11 damage = permanently dead Cleric).

Kek, the ghost was an easy fight with a party of 6, only managed to completely kill our Druid.

Let me guess, the crabs used a pincer formation?

I was DMing when my group nearly lost against a couple of orcs leading a small group of goblins. The crits man, crits everywhere. )Yes, I was a shitty DM that didn't use a screen and didn't handwave the last few crits. We were new to ttrpgs.) Now, before you think I was just a mean DM that threw way too much at these lvl1 adventurers, Anons, this was a party of four third level characters. This was supposed to be a cakewalk/plot hook that turned into a critzkrieg.

Also forgot to mention that by "a couple" I literally meant two. Two orcs were leading four goblins.

it is a well known fact that giant ants are the most dangerous enemy in nethack

Dammit Carlos.

>this thread
>lol look at how many rolls we failed
Why play a game that lets RNG screw you over that badly?

>got killed by a door
>party carries my sorry 7'5" Goliath ass back to town to get resurrected
>get killed by door again

That door remains closed to this day. We ended up just using stone shape to create a new door right next to it.

Storytime?

:3

My character was taken down by a princess half his size.
And no, I do not mean a super powered, high level warrior-princess. This was literally a 16 year old girl that tripped him and pinned him on the ground by sitting on his back.

Any RPG that lets you fail at all has the potential for the dice to fuck you over if you have a run of bad luck.

Even those with fate points or the like to boost your actions only give you so many of them, which may not be enough to get you through a whole fight I'd the dice hate you enough. Or the players may be too hesitant to spend such a valuable limited resource on what they know to be a weak enemy, even if the dice are fucking them over.

>level 1 party
>monster with 20 HP and multiattack
Unless you're playing 4E, that's harder than any one of you. 1/4 CR my ass.

Not me but a player

> Players are raiding a dungeon
> Frees two small. naked, defenseless goblins from a magic tomb
> One of the Goblins are horrified and runs into a corner and huddles
> Player attempts to go in and murder it
> Crit fail, "You trip in your attempt"
> "His turn, he attempts to poke you in the eye with his little finger."
> Crit success, " Your eye is lost"

The dice punished that murder hobo hard.

>tfw the party is almost tpked by a single goblin
>the party rogue is trying to use a morningstar the whole time
>the ranger has impaled himself on his own arrow
>the paladin is scrambling to grab his sword from the corner where he threw it

Not be, but my players:
>running a dungeon crawl of my own design
>have a room with just a whole bunch of imps in it
>level 9 party, supposed to be a cakewalk
>turns out nobody brought a ranged weapon
>cleric only has one offensive spell left, only manages to take out a couple imps with it
>beguiler could probably disable them all with one or two spells, but doesn't want to blow the slots on such low-level enemies
>imps just keep up out of reach by the ceiling doing flyby attacks, barely doing any damage since they hardly ever hit
>fighter tries readying attacks for when they fly into reach, but keeps whiffing
>fight just drags on and on
>eventually fighter starts picking up the bodies of the imps they have managed to kill to use as improvised thrown weapons against the others
>then decides to tie the half dozen or so they've dropped together by their tails to make an improvised reach weapon
>finally managed to beat down the last remaining imps with his improvised imp flail

I think that fight took longer in real time than any other in the dungeon except the boss fights, and definitely was the longest fight in game rounds. We were all cracking up by the end of it, it was like one big slapstick routine.

5E Game. Trying to kill this cunt of a wizard who ran away from us something like twice before. Busting into his room in his lair and his troops are there, a few bugbears.

This one fucking piece of shit bugbear, rolled a critical, and rolled max damage on three damage dice as it had a special weapon.

Fuck outright killed the party fighter first swing and we all died shortly after.

WHAT'S WORSE

We later fought the absolute bastard's ghost and he DID THE SAME FUCKING THING AGAIN. The same fucking, bugbear twat crit and rolled max damage AGAIN.

However this time all he did was put someone under and they did actually surviving dying after getting stabilised.

>tying imps together and whipping other imps

Fucking hilarious.

There's not a whole lot to it desu.
It was trapped with power word death and our rogue made a shitty search check.
Being the heavy hitter of the group, I volunteered to break it down.
Dead the instant I touched it.
Everyone failed their check to identify the spell so we were all still oblivious.

Side-note:
From the parties perspective, I guess I finally got tired which, I guess, makes sense.
We learned the previous day that our most cost effective travelling arrangement was to buy a carriage, strap it to my back and have me run the 80 miles to our destination. My only condition was that I got two empty coconut halves to bang together while I ran.
My favourite thing about the trip? Due to the distance travelled, the rest of the party was fatigued when we arrived but I was fine.

>Let me guess, the crabs used a pincer formation?
I think the only problem with it is that with a party of level one characters, there is literally no possible way to have a character that the ghost can't one-shot kill. Not just drop in one shot, but kill outright, since dropping your maximum HP to 0 kills you. The highest hit points you can have is 18 (Hill Dwarf Barbarian with a rolled 18+2=20 Constitution), and the ghost deals 3d6 damage, which also reduces your max HP by that amount.

So it's not that it's a tough fight, it's just that it's incredibly swingy, since any attack the ghost lands could very well one-shot any character that's fighting it at that point.

What the hell? I have no idea where that quote came from, I hadn't even highlighted anything in this thread. That's not even from the post I replied to.