ITT: We play Yugioh

ITT: We play Yugioh

I INVOKE A CARD FACE DOWN AND PASS my turn.

Special summon Burning Abyss Scarm and Farfa from hand, XYZ into Fortune Tune, activate Cattle Call, to get out pic related tribute to summon Tyrant King Neptune.
GG no re

I SUMMON MAN-EATER BUG IN FACE-UP ATTACK MODE!

WHY!? Why would ever you play Man fucking Eater Bug in attack mode?

Heh, flustered already, Yugi-boy? You don't stand a GHOST of a chance of beating me and my Man-Eater Bug. Your move!

I summon Black Luster Soldier, Envoy of the Beginning

Man-Eater Bug's ONLY WEAKNESS!

Penalty Game: Mind Crush.

you're triggering me so hard my bones are rattling

Now this is dueling

>Get together with friend, talk about old yu gi oh cards
>Hey, wanna play?
>Sure
>Get my old, 2005-7 yu gi oh tourny deck that I kept in a box for ages
>He comes over, starts flinging out all this syncro summon shit
>I have to relearn all this shit as he does it, completly throws me for a loop.
I hate rule changes.

Synchro Summons are my favorite, but I will never understand Pendulum rules.

The gist of it is:
>certain monsters are also Pendulum monsters, as indicated by an extra box above their normal monster text box
>if you have two pendulum monsters in your hand, you can place them in your pendulum zones, setting the "pendulum scale"
>while there, they count as both spells and monsters for enemy removal, and any effects in their extra box are active (but not their monster effects)
>the numbers on either side of this box indicate the "pendulum scale"
>if your scale is set, you can special summon monsters from your hand for free if their levels are within the scale
>I.e. if you have one pendulum monster with one pendulum number of 1 and another with 8, you can special summon level 2-7 monsters

I wish I was making this up.

I don't even play this game. I'm just useless filler who shouts inspirational lines to the protagonists.

Whenever I fight a pendulum user in ygopro I start browsing other tabs while I wait for them to finish their 20 card long combos

I am so happy I stopped playing this game.

HEART OF THE CARDS

catapult turtle

The fun of being a character with the only purpose in a story is to have group reactions is underrated: No pressures, still see world crushing events daily, sorrounded by cuties who are inevitably ignored by the protagonist, you can even be the little girl.

I XYZPENDUMBLUMFUZE DARK ELEMENTAL HERO SHINING THROBING NEOS ARCADIA XI NECRO MAGICIAN WINGMAN COGSHITTER
i guess ill try to use trap hol-
"NOT SO FAST MY SPCIAL ABILMITY LETS ME TWEEK MY NIIPLE AND DISABLE UR TRAPMAGICCARD UP TO 239847293847987 TIMES A TURN! AND WHEN I ATTACK I CAN ATTACK 29 MORE TIMES DIRECTLY DEDUCTING MY ATTACK DAMAGE FROM YOUR SPECIAL SUMMON ZONE AND IM ALSO IMMUNE TO PLOT CARDS!"
>wow i guess i'm gonna have to get a creature to defend with ill play this card face d-
"NOT SO FAST YOU ACTIVATED ITS SPECIAL ABILITY ONE PER TWICE PER HOWEVER MANY TIMES I WANT PER TURN I CAN NEGATE UR SUMMON AND ACTIVATE MY OTHER ABILITY WHICH LETS ME SEARCH MY DECK FOR AS MANY CARDS WITH LETTERS IN THEIR NAME AND PUT THEM DIRECTLY INTO MY HAND, THEN I CAN GIVE UP 4 LIFEPOINTS TO MAKE YOUR LOSE THE GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This thread remembers the one time I played it last year, after some 10 years without playing.

>Other dude gets his ultra fucking XYZ-i-dont-even-fucking-know-what deck.
>Got my Yugi deck, lets fucking do this.
>He literally places his entire fucking hand on the first turn.
>I show him my hand with exodia, with the biggest fucking shit-eating grin I can muster.
>Refuse repmatch, say he is far too terrible of an adversary for me to play with.

The thing is, I don't think I've ever got Exodia on the opening hand on my years where I played that shit every day. And suddenly this motherfucker comes in swooping to save the day.

Heart of cards indeed.

I played a couple times at a tournament at the local card shop a few years back

People were playing their retarded XYZ-fuck-you-I-win-turn-2 decks and I was playing an annoying as fuck burn deck
>mfw some of them got really really fucking mad when I controlled them into oblivion and made the game take half an hour

Metalphosis must make your skin crawl when they shit out exterio, crystal wing and infinity in the same turn.

>ITT:salty oldfags, the thread

Is Yu-Gi-Oh a solitaire game, judging by this .webm, or am I missing something?

It's like he just keeps on pulling cards, I almost thought it would just keep going till he milled himself to death. This is a standard Yugioh game?

Depends, the old HAT and Geargia decks were basically "I set a monster, set 5 in my backrow, pass" the whole game. Qlis and Statue beat are pretty much the same thing.

It's like every single major update to this game has the sole intention of creating even more odorously idiotically convoluted and powerful gimmicks in order to come as close to completely invalidating everything which has gone before and sell more cards. Which, given that Minsky
Konami doesn't have a standard-style format to move guaranteed units, may literally be what's happening.

Synchros were alright. Definitely changed the game and bumped up the overall power level, but they ultimately did come with meaningful required setup. XYZs were a step down, but at least they mostly just sped the tempo of the game.

But Pendulums? Literally "did you just summon a bunch of monsters in one turn?". The kind of pants on head retarded stuff that people used to make fun of the old Anime for when they literally made the rules up as they went along. And now it's in the game, not as a card combo, not even as a singular card, but as a core mechanic.

YGO at this point is a crude parody of itself.

>odorously
>fucking Minsky out of nowhere, whatever that is

Hate trying to use a phone keyboard on the bus.

Dunno mate, I'm playing ABCs right now and having fun. There's like one big pendulum deck per meta the rest are things like Monarchs or Kozmo that don't even know or care what pendulums are.

>TFW iPhone won't play webms

As someone who runs a pendulum deck. This is basically summoning in a nutshell if you use Pit/Pulse magician, you can summon all 2-7 level monsters in a shot. I get destroyed by Kozmos and Monarchs every time game 1 then side in 2-3 prohibitions when I learn which set they are playing.

YGO looks like a fine casual game but I wouldn't dare to dip a toe in its competitive environment.
Also I don't know if that's the case everywhere but where I live the booster packs and starter sets are more expensive and contains less cards than magic packs, so it kinda fails as a casual game too. Sad, I'd like to give it a shot for shit and giggles.

YGO shold just be scraped back to the original series, summoning dark megicion and dark megicion girl and than arguing with my other 12 year old freinds if i can combain their attacks because that what they did in the show was so much fun, non of that xyz and pendulum shit

Go fuck yourself, vanilla beat was the worst part of the game and I refuse to go back to it.

compeared to todays 1 hour combos? I cant even pull off as broken combos in MTG T1

Bruh, I'm having fun playing dumb shit like hippo-beat, and I won't let you take that away from me just because you have a low salt ceiling.

It's not bad if you get the super starter sets and such. For $20 you get a complete deck and 4 boosters and last years tins can be had for 15 at toys r us and contain 6 packs. Sure you can spend to the moon if you want, but im competitive for around 50 bucks. 3 structure decks and a couple boosters and you can have a lot of fun.

Each to their own, but as i said, it's more broken than mtg, i have not played ygo for years and i doubt i will ever go back to it, but when i tryed to go back to it once i bounced off, there was just too much broken shit, too much text in boxes, too many combos which take too long

But they had to make ways to "break" the game while staying away from the restricted list. It features some of the biggest game breakers I played against back in the early/mid 2000s. I got back into the game after a decade hiatus and it was a shock playing a modified Yugi deck against the new stuff. People wtf'd when I was activating magic hammer and normal summoning Dark Magicians. Got rammed on hard and it was a shocker to my old good tourney deck. However, I still had a great deal of fun playing and also enjoy collecting cards so I threw some cash (60) at it and got a decently competitive deck that supports my Dark Magician fetish. Went to a local tourney yesterday went 2-1-1 and scored 2 packs on a free tourney. The community isn't bad either from what I have seen locally though that may be because it isn't in a large city like LA or Chicago.

On a side note: Fuck people that play Monarch decks. Scum of the earth.

I thought it was mecha-zapdos from the thumbnail

What, you don't like Stormforth into Erebus?
It might as well be.

The main problem with the newer summoning conditions is that it goes against what the game was originally. The game originally (barring pre battle city) was rather slower and took time for you to develop a team to do things. It was something where you had to consider your every move carefully and drawing the right card was a life and death situation. Now, you can summon your ultimate card on turn 1 that also stops other cards from being summoned as well as using any other effects and if you manage to do anything you can now summon another card with the same ability on turn 2. Obviously that would make it a lower market and it can't thrive on it which is why Synchros were a good addition since the early ones were fast paced but not over bearing in the way they worked. In conclusion: The major competitive scene is fucked in general, all online simulators suck since everyone can use every card ever, local scenes are great, and playing with friends using certain rule-sets is the best way to play. Fuck kozmos

>all online simulators suck since everyone can use every card ever
Why the flying fuck would that be a bad thing?

The last half has it right on. When playing with friends we revived some house rules (no Marshmallow, full current restriction list, etc) and you can slow a game down quite a bit. My Pendulum deck for example gets played very slowly if I cannot get a scale out by turn 2. Even then, against a good friends Blue Eyes support deck (another slow play deck) he can pull Blue eyes out every time maiden is attacked meaning that meta focuses more on mill summoning and grave retrieval than summoning via pendulum. He uses 1 syncro and no XYZs and still does well at the local games.

And to add to the first half, yes they can get quite a bit out on turn 1, but just like yesteryear, your turn can be as quick or quicker if you drew correctly and have a good magic support to mill the deck.

>Get invited to play yugioh during lunch
>Haven't played in a decade, get lended a deck
>Get a few minutes of relearning
>Deck plays itself and I just cast whatever I draw with no reason to hold back
>Win on autopilot without feeling good at all

Literally what is the appeal of Yugioh?

No I really don't. I love playing against pals, Abyss, and Psy-gear though. Psy can mill and cancel well, but you run out of hand too quickly for my tastes. Superheavys are closest to old school imho in the way they have huge defense as their strength as opposed to OP effects. 3500 def can ruin an entire strategy unless you run something that can destroy by removing counters (Arcanite Magician Sync) and even then, they play exhaustion and it defeats it.

Did the game need to be faster? Maybe but while browsing through my old deck, it was very overpowered for the time and still does okay against decks as new as syncro but XYZ and beyond it gets shit on.

Because of people running 3 Gearfrieds and 3 Butterfly daggers and 3 royal library in an exodia deck. Instant win combo and with card destruction and a couple monster reborns, you never lose. Same as Envoy of the End and infinite cards in the same combo: Put 20 cards in your hand, have 10 between you and your opponent and game over in under 3 turns if drawn right.

It's more interesting to make a good deck with whatever cards you get out of packs and seeing what you can make with them. The decks definitely won't be top-tier and rather mismatched but it adds a bit of fun to it. That's just my opinion though, I can understand wanting to have every card.

I like trying to do tag duels and three-way duels a lot with my friends. You have to use same generation decks though if you do that since it's a lot easier to get an advantage.

Sometimes you even get the girl as well.

CED got errata'd into worthlessness, he's only good for tutorable rank 8 fodder, in fact both envoys are pretty garbo today.

They can be unless they are played with unlimited rules as stated above. Run it in a sim deck and see how hilariously broken it is. Infinite draws per turn until the final card and you control how far you draw down.

They can be unless they are played with unlimited rules as stated above. Run it in a sim deck and see how hilariously broken it is. Infinite draws per turn until the final card and you control how far you draw down.

Do you not know what a banlist is?

Because as the price of a deck goes up, so does the bullshit.

Yes. Yes I do. But a lot of the simulators have a no ban mode or run without the ban list period. Duelist network has an unlimited mode but another that I used before was full limitless all the time and games were broken as shit.

Get VLC player bruh

Just played it yesterday for the first time in many years thinking it might have improved in some manner. I was wrong of course; the game it total ass.

I could complain about the poor wording, shirty formating, legibility, zone confusion,and awful art but the core of the game is just trash and they somehow fucked that up

The game has no real recouce concept outside of normal summon limits and trap card delays, and hence has no tempo. This could have been corrected in expansions but instead the developers decided to expand the special summon rules. So now instead of slowly building up a force and tributing for more powerful effects you just construct you deck to maximize you special summons and shit out your hand/deck/extra deck asap. In totally uninteresting combos.

Which is where friends games with special rule sets come in. Like restricting the number of special summons per turn, or using older core rule sets (ala version 2.1-3.0). Or you could exclude/ ban summon types (usually we restrict pendulum summoning and most XYZs with a house restriction list. You can Syncro, but nothing else but fusion from the extra deck).

You missed the era when Bujins were a non-spam archetype that sat behind a single dude and stopped oppo from going through special summon shenanigans.

That era lasted a whole three expansions before Hirume got released and the Kaiser Coliseum strategy was discarded for more shitty spam summoning. I miss those days.

Last time I played yugioh was as a teenager, at a weekly tournament thing in the basement of my local comic book store. I immediately got destroyed by a legitimate retard, he couldn't even speak. There was another special person who was in a wheelchair with his head restrained by two metal plate things, and he started eating cards from his deck and his handler person started freaking out trying to get the cards away, so I just left and never played again

I still fondly remember this shitpost I made during a That Guy thread

Anyone have that pic of someone taking the flavor text of cards literally?

>screencapping yourself

Not him, but I screencap myself all the time, so I don't have to retype same shit all over again when I see another carbon-copy thread.
I even have them labeled by the type of threads, like "elf slave wat do?" etc.
You'd be surprised how often we have the same fucking threads, contents and all.

Monarchs are literally 3 structure decks taped together and are top meta, and anyways the bullshit is why I even bother with the game.

Just play fucking barrier statue beat if special summoning gets you that salty.

>screencapping your own shitty post

Top for now. They can still be wrecked by Clear Wing and since that's not a limited card, run 3 clear wings and 2 Arcanite and you cant lose to Monarchs. Clear to prevent any effects and Arcanite to use as a card destroyer/xyz fodder.

Pretty much this, its been said before in the thread but it can't be said enough since people won't bother reading it.

If you're really into the game and like that kind of thing then by all means play competitively. But for a good amount of people it's just stupid. Play with your buddies with your own homebrew rules that allow for better play. That doesn't mean invent a whole new game but just put in custom ban lists or limit to synchros only, no theme decks etc etc. Playing in local tournaments is also pretty good, since they'll use the newer cards but most people aren't going to play top-tier cards all the time especially if they know that most people aren't going to be using those types of cards as well. Hell, I'd play a custom rule-set tourny on DN or something with some anons here for fun.

>tfw you've ran Metalphosis & Yang-Zing together before

holy shit this is cringe as fuck

I'd be in on a custom rule set man. How would we go about that or just an honor system?

I activate pot of greed. This card allows me to draw two new cards to replace itself, bringing you ever closer to your doom, yugiboy.

No XYZ, no Pendulum. Fusion and Synchro only.

I'm down. Fusions and Syncro are fine by me, albeit I play more XYZ than Syncro IRL so id have to adjust to it. Red Eyes deck here I come.

thats impossible. no one's been able to summon him!

Anything about Rituals?

>People still plays YGO up to this date
I feel such a pity for them.

They're fine. Except that one that banishes shit for free and never dies.

I'm not sure if it should be synchros only or just no cards past a certain generation. There are some later synchros/fusions/ritual cards that are made specifically to counter newer ones (Monarchs) and over all would have an advantage over anybody using older only decks as I assume some people would do.

There's only one Monarch I remember who can counter this card & it has to be special summoned.

Okay, then just use the ban on xyz and pendulum monsters. I just wanted to see how people felt about this since I'm sure some people would gripe.

I play an energy card.

>not posting best webm

>Synchro/Xyz/Pendulum summoning
>complicated

Are you people literal 5 year olds?

>the main problem with the new

from this opening line alone I can tell that you're a salty oldfag who can neither appreciate nor compete with the newer decks. Get good.

this screencap represents all of Veeky Forums and its casualness

Prepare to get fucked in the ass by Monarchs and Kozmo.

Oh, yeah Fire King too for that matter.

"Buu buu, my game was ruined by the mean XYZ and Pendulum, :("

No, because 5 year olds can play this game with no problems.

>"No Synchro/Xyz/Pendulum/Fusions/Effect Monsters/Normal Summoning/LP Damage/Losing"

Casuals are the cancer killing YGO.

>This is a standard Yugioh game?
Nope, he lucked a first turn hand plus going first so no risk of a Solemn. But yeah, if left unchecked some synchro decks can go nuts.

I'm pretty sure Konami is the cancer killing Yu-Gi-Oh.

What the hell is it with the scrub mentality that if you don't know how to use the tools the game gives you or don't like them (Xyz and other ED summons), your opponent just shouldn't be able to do it too?

lmao it's like fighting game scrubs all over again

im not trying to call you all retarded or anything, but this attempt to make a slower tourny is retarded.
From how you're talking it seems you're tired of turns taking forever from combos, and stupid OP cards, and you're attempting to do this by allowing synchros.
Now, dont get me wrong, i love synchros, but if you're trying to get rid of combo wank and ungodly dumb cards, synchros would be one of the things i'd hit first.
my point being proven by: and I appreciate your attempt, but if you want to make a slow tourney you cant hit mechanics, you have to hit CARDS. since, implying that regular Utopia is more cancerous than Naturia Beast is retarded.
also
>Rituals are fine
someone doesnt know about cyber angels, and to a lesser extent Nekroz, and to a lesser extent turbo Gishki.
now THOSE are cancer

>milled the entire enemy's deck
fucking hilarious

The only bad part about the latest era of YGO is that everything now can't be targeted or doesn't let the opponent special summon from the extra deck. Dragon Rulers were overpowered as fuck but still their field of threats could be overthrown somehow. And the elemental cycle before that was like it as well.
>tfw you will never pull out a Overworked on a full Fire Fist field

>and to a lesser extent Nekroz
Nekroz was only boring when they decided to play the damned Djinn Lock. Fuck that.