/EDH/ Commander General

Budget edition.
Show us your ultra budget but competitive generals.

>RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/deck/427717#paper
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mikaeus-extreme-sub-20-budget-edh/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/marchesa-counters-combos-1/
magiccards.info/syntax.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What's considered to be ultra budget?

r8 h8 apprec8

I'd say under 50.
Under 100 is just budget.

Someone post that black Mike list pls so we can argue about shipping costs.

>budget decks
PAUPER EDH, I have a Skyward-Eye Prophets ramp list and a Spellheart Chimera blitz/self-mill list.

Mike is like $20 himself now, that list is irrelevant

>PAUPER EDH
I'm building Warden of the Eye blink deck myself.
The problem is, nobody plays this format around. Going to beg my friends to build one also.

Build two decks from cards you already have and try to get someone to play duel. After that, do it with other people. You're bound to get 3-4 guys on it.

mtggoldfish.com/deck/427717#paper
Any tips? Edhrec gave me some ideas but most of the card choices were jank as hell.

Under $50 is budget.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mikaeus-extreme-sub-20-budget-edh/
you mean this?

What are some cards like kazandu tuskcaller, and presence of gond that tap for a creature token? They can be mana and tap, as long as it's not too mana expensive.

>one guy in my group runs 40 lands in every single deck
>regardless of colors
>regardless of average CMC
>almost entirely basics
>tried to teach him the importance of mana rocks and utility artifacts like Journeyer's Kite
>fucker doesn't listen ever

This is just infuriating

There are a number of lands that do this

Imperious Perfect
Jungle Patrol
Keeper of the Beasts
Llanowar Mentor
Orochi Eggwatcher
Spawning Grounds
Squirrel Nest

I decided it's time I put together a new deck, and I wanted to go with Orzhov colors, and I wanted to make the theme be about life and death, and taxing other players. Does anyone have any experience with a Black/White deck? I'm not sure if I like the Ghost Council that much, so I think I'll look for a better commander.

Effect you wish were on a commander.

Vish Kal sounds like a good fit

Gwafa Hazid, Profiteer?

>pauper edh

Most of my lists are budget till you add the landbase, the game seems cripplingly bad using only basics, guildgates and lifelands
>mfw

I feel like I get on just fine using only basics and lands that come in untapped but are still budget like pain lands, check lands, and the new bfz and shadows over innistrad duals

It's great because the new bfz duals that check for basics are kind of terrible in an optimized manabase but they get more powerful the more basics you run and generally the cheaper your mana base

>mfw someone in my group only run 32 lands saying the mana rocks total of 3 in deck are what matter

I know he runs armageddon in it but even I feel uneasy running less than 35 land.

Fucking hell. I've been wanting to run that fucker as my commander for fucking ever.

Also, Viskopa Guild Mage. If in could run that bitch as a regular commander, I would be so happy. In fact, I played my PEDH deck with Viz at the head in a real EDH game once and damn near killed everyone.

I run 35 land in every deck, I've found that if I go lower I have too many openers with 1 or less lands, and if I go closer to 40, I flood too often

I also run no less than 8 and no more than 15 ramp effects, it depends on what the deck wants to do

I run 38 land + about 3 mana rocks is most decks, in cheaty decks like jhoira and mayael ill run 36-37, in pretty much every deck that runs green or white ill jave about 5-6 cards that destroy artifacts/enhantments just to kill off t1 or 2 mana rocks if my opponent, knowing they kept a hand based on getting to use their mana rocks then destroying them before they get any use out of them can be crippling

Personally I think CMC is the most important thing. There are great spells that cost 2 or 1 mana, and Timmy's never gonna get to Timmytown with a mana cost of like 5 or 6 on every nonland card

My decks usually round out around 3.5. One costs on average around 4.5, but it's Zirilan so I can poop out Dragons for 3

Fuckin' Brago, so much value.

Yeah, take your avg cmc and then adjust it based on what you do in game, if you're running a reanimator deck, think of your 7 and 8 drop creatures as 1-4 drop reanimating spells in terms of their effect on your mana curve

How should I try to use Diaochan? She looks super interesting but outside of going to edhrec and copying whats there I have no idea how to build her, any advice/secret tech?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/marchesa-counters-combos-1/

Here's what I can up with: an amalgamation of a couple different combos and synergies. It feels like it's trying to do "too much", and I'm sacrificing or relying too much on Marchesa's built-in protection.

I'm looking to streamline before I commit to any purchases/trades. Budget's not really an issue, though have a back-up recommendation if you suggest anything over $80.

Most of the combos and synergies are listed in the tappedout link, but I'll be going through it to add more soon

This dude so badly.

mishra?

My meta is pretty ruthless, if you dont have at least some sort of board presence by turn 3 the others will pounce on the weak like lions, if your t1 or t2 play is countered or destroyed you are pretty much out of the game or at least taken to the point where you cant recover and are an easy pick later in the game, we only have 1 Timmy and he playes alot of 1 and 2 drops now along with his krakens

Takes a bit of effort to make him work, but when he's online his ability is value town.

Go get yourself an Angel's Trumpet and start smacking people

And either Indestructible or Shroud for Diaochan

nether void, and possibility storm type effects allow you to use his ability when the spell gets countered/put on the bottom of your deck

Merieke and Rubinia do this

I just remembered right after I posted it too

Mandatory wasteland, stripmine, ghost quarter, dust bowl encroaching wastes + crucible of worlds LD pack if you can handle some utility lands, its not for everyone but yiu can really poo poo on your opponents plans if you can get rid of their utility or keep them in 1-2 colors

Rhys the redeemed
Trostani if you have another token in play.
Godsire
Bloodline keeper

What colors are you working with?

Why do you need a board presence on turn 3? Can't you just keep answers for whatever your opponents try to do on turn 3?

so what is everyone just getting aggro'd down or are there lots of fast combos?

posts like these make me thankful that my meta is paced well.

There are plenty of occasions where the same happens for my own meta but some hold back because of counters and removal, turning it into mindgames and such.

Only so much you can do wiyh 3 mana against attacks from 3 other players

At least 2 regulars play fast aggro 1 and 2 drops

Do you guys think Godsend is worth running in EDH? That +3/+3 is nice, but I don't think that exile ability would work all that well. I don't think it even works on the commander if it gets send to the command zone instead of exile.

Not every game is over by turn 10, i guess it just depends on the draws/decks but the majority if the games are somewhat fast

why not just play wraths?

Being able to exile their non commander creatures is nice too, hoses alot of decks

>budget edition
Yay, my favourite. Still working on Iroas budget soldiers with using mainly cards from Elspeth deck and WR born of the gods intro pack.

There should be more love for pauper EDH.
I want to run one of the guildmages but don't really know which one should I choose - Korozda or Vitu-ghazi.
Also, are you allowed to run commanders from illegal sets in pauper like pic rel in your groups?

It works fucking beautifully in M13 Odric. Once his ability is online you can pretty much exile whatever the fuck you want, provided no hexproof or shroud.

Fug, wanted to post this pic

Well yeah obviously exile effects don't work on commanders, doesn't make exile effects bad

If you mean that you don't expect to exile many creatures with godsend, that's accurate, people will simply choose not to block your godsend creature if they don't have a creature they are willing to throw into exile

And they won't attack if they aren't willing to exile their best attacker (or their best one that can be blocked by your suited up creature)

It's a decently powerful card but there are better equipment cards out there, there are some cheeky combos with it though, vigilance is excellent with godsend, and an effect like Indrik umbra (it exists on a couple other cards I believe) is obviously pretty awesome with it but also magical Christmas land

We do play wraths but you dont always draw one opening hand every game

If you don't draw a wrath (or a tutor for a wrath, or some other effect that stops aggro like ghostly prison) by turn 5-6 (whenever it is that these aggro decks are killing you), then you don't run enough wraths (and other antiaggro measures)

Lure and lure like effects, nostalgia hard from 4th ed basilisk/cockatrice lure combo

DID SOMEONE SAY ULTRA BUDGET?

What is this, commander for ants?

Why is mill such a draw for casual players?

I THINK I HEARD 2-CARD COMBO

Babby's First Alt Win Con

>you tellin me I don't even need to turn my creatures sideways!?

I'm not sure, but mill players get fucked by me first every time.

Man that Ad Naus art looks more like it belongs to New Phyrexia than it does Shards of Alara

Worst commanders edition

#Hard Mode# nothing with pre 8th borders
#Nightmare Mode# nothing from kamigawa

Pic related
>that casting cost
>those abilities
>those colors

How do you search by multiple types on magiccards? I can't figure that shit out

Godsend doesn't target.

The Future Sight commanders aren't great because Grandeur doesn't really work

JUST

Literally just type them one after another.

Ahaha i remember going into the lgs and trading uncommons for this, i needed 15 for a 3d life counter ended up changing my mind and throwing them in the bin, wish i kept one now for the Derpmander format

>Phage
>bad

Nigga there are tons of ways around the trigger

Okay, actually maybe I should just let you know that you have to use proper search syntax for it.
magiccards.info/syntax.html
Basically if you want to search for Human Shamans you can do
t:human t:shaman
or
t:shaman t:human

green/10

Man I wouldn't want her as a commander but boy do I love seeing her late game

Edh was pretty much made for green because every other format is blue.dec

There are 5 Exalted cards in black.

And Cathedral of War.

Wew lad

What can I say! I love green...

Not even non land permanents....
Gonna need to edhrec him

under 200

>EDH was pretty much made for green

>he's never played a Big Red EDH deck

You have not truly lived, user

Have you got a list for sidisi?

I just checked

It looks like Demons and like every suicide effect that black can offer

Nah :/ are you building???

The abilities are neat.

The 4BBGG cost is not.

It's only eight. You should be able to get that out turn two or three.

>only eight
>on T2
How user

Teach me your secrets

>Turn 2 or 3
I would say 3-4 is more realistic, with a BBGG in the cost

You're right, I wasn't thinking about that cause I often play monocolor

Well with that specific mana cost I can't really think of anything off the top of my head that could get it out on turn two expect black lotus, but turn three or four is still definitely possible.

>mfw the Karador and Meren players are hesitant to sacrifice their own shit
WHY ARE YOU RUNNING GRAVEYARD-BASED COMMANDERS

C'mon man try harder

HIGHLY SPICY GITROG TECH

I'm thinking about it, just need some inspiration or a theme, got any pointers and must-haves?

What kind of deck do you want it to be? Mine is midrange/ reanimator

I guess it's possible but it doesn't seem super feasible.