What is the best U.S. state for Urban Fantasy?

What is the best U.S. state for Urban Fantasy?

san francisco, the sjw faggots there live in a fantasy world already

This.

Or on the flip side, Detroit. There are entire city blocks that are abandoned, perfect for LARP.

The ones with the biggest cities: New York, California, Chicago, and Texas

SF is mostly super-rich tech companies now.

The People's Republic of Delmarva, also known as PRoD.

Is this even a question?
New York.
>Dem epic bridge battles, deciding who controls supply tolls in and out of the city

Anyone who's been to San Fran can tell you that it's super hilly too. There are a huge amount of streets that are literally uphill climbs. Great for terrain.

Nebraska, obviously.
Montana right behind it.

Huge fucking nerds are easily converted into SJW, user. The native population is having a gay old time getting them to drink the kool-aid.

I wouldn't say that any one state is best, just because everyone has great local myths, but as far as cities, New Orleans is always a good option.
Voodoo!
Rougarou!
Cthulhu cultists!
On top of that, the crime rate makes it great for random encounters!

Utah, SLC.

Its even dumber, the technocrats can ivory tower there and pander to sjwisms because it sells and helps them sleep at night, while still holding conservativism in their hearts. Worst the of all worlds.

Louisiana dude, voodoo and black magic in the big easy (New Orleans)

You forgot Gumbo.

>New York is slowly sinking. Some streets are underwater. Life continues in sky-scrapers, delicate bridges formed between them and the other buildings in the New York skyline

Minnesota

Good metropolitan area while still having plenty of wilderness and plains. There's an entire region of the state known as the "Iron Range" and there is a sports team named the Vikings.

I personally liked the approach earlier Supernatural episodes took. Most stuff happens in smaller towns all around the country and not fixed to a single locale or state.

But if you really want one, take West Virginia. The Mothman is the best cryptid

>America is old, and evil. Before the settlers, before the indians, the evil was there. Waiting for us.

Made me kek.

Here's your (You)

Depends on what you wanna work with.

But for my tastes:
Florida is great for all the folklore and a variety of locations from urban cities to open spaces and the ocean.
Just think, you could hop from the Everglades fighting hillbillies and swamp monsters, to the Cities where a local voodoo shaman is blackmailing the local senator,to Disney World where the mascot costmes have been inhabited by spirits of dead children and to Beachfront communities where fish peopleare dragging the tourists to their doom.

Louisiana

Washington.

Wide swathes of forest, beaches, mountains, deserts, all within an hour from a major city.

Florida. It's already full of random encounters.

Rhode Island.

Lots of variety as far as locale goes, a big city, suburbs, small towns, beachside towns, dense forests, swamps, mansions, historical sites, alleged haunted locations, etc.

And the best part is that it's all within like 20 to 40 minutes drive of eachother with makes traveling around/location hopping quite doable.

Plus there's some decent potential to include some Lovecraftian stuff given how it was his old stomping ground, which is cool.

Pic semirelated, one of several old abandoned military forts that would make a cool location. Especially the underground tunnels, which you're TECHNICALLY not supposed to go in but people do anyway.

I have a homebrew system that starts every game in detroit, it's such a shithole you can make anything bad that happens there believable no matter the setting you're going for.

>Connecticut EVER being associated with New Jersey

That's basically Silent Hill, actually.
The Indians placated it, the Civil War woke it up.

Jersey expanded aggressively. They ate NYC too.

You don't even need the supernatural to make Florida - home of Florida Man, a strange and wonderful place.

I'd say Illinois. You have Chicago, with the gangsters, mobsters, corrupt politicians and cops, the old meatpacking industry and railyards, plus a shitload of haunted houses and factories, an hour away from Native burial mounds, farm country, deep woods, and small town America to have creepy things happen.

Texas, specifically Houston area. Whole place is below sea level/built on a swamp, you have scary animal hitchhikers from the imports coming up from central and south America, there's plenty of scary native wildlife, plenty of travel options if you want the game to move around, and a large amount of medical and aerospace engineering around the area.

They may be cookie cutter, but damned if they aren't classy.

Houston! Could be a civil war in the wide open streets of Houston. It's huge and spread out and like the 4th biggest city, has one of the biggest industrial areas in the Americas, oil, gas, firearms, energy, BBQ and all sorts. What more could you want?

I'd vote New York in part because of how much surreal shit you see in the city. Had a guy in a spiderman outfit punch a fucking cop once.

>Jersey
>taking Connecticut

They wouldn't even get through Manhattan. Their leader would probably have his own army held up at a bridge to spite one of his commanders.

Manhattan would probably have to fall apart from something internal to be really vulnerable.

>silent hill is william s burroughs, basically

Don't even bother, user. Houston shall always be overlooked, and always forgotten, at the national level, because nobody likes to admit that a bunch of filthy inbred gun-toting rednecks can actually build a powerful and thriving city, let alone a state.

>pic related is how it actually happens

Does this mean NASA literally runs on redneck engineering?

>on Veeky Forums
>calling other people huge fucking nerds

NASA is literally a bunch of rednecks and Nazis trying to get shit into space on the bare minimum amount of funding it possibly can.

I couldn't help myself

Why is there a place called Gary empire? Is it ruled by Gary? Is everyone named Gary? Inquiring minds need to know.

There's a shithole city in Indiana named Gary; they clearly conquered the rest of the region so they no longer had to live in Gary.

The Great Commonwealth remains unmolested.
Our sea dwelling Lovecraftian horrors prove too much for any aspiring empire.
Also, thank you for not lumping Mass with Jersey.

Can confirm. The Wall remains unpenetrated.

As a mainer...

Call that us "East bumfuck" or "Deer rampage zone"... Or "South Canada"

I have a better idea.

1820 was a mistake.

Do you even geography/sociology?

No, I have a social life.

Is southern Florida inhabited by snake people?

Sick brag, bro. Totally chill, brah. Showed that spaz,man.

Just don't do NYC, I'm bored to death of that place and I've never even been there.

It's something called fun, ever heard of it?

Just turn off your brain :^)

Well there is a whole magazine for strange things in New Jersey which is filled with supernatural shit.

I'm guessing Utah, Idaho, and most of Montana, Wyoming, and maybe half of Nevada will become New Deseret or something?

You guys sort of beat me to it.

Florida is full of shit Florida shouldn't be full of.

As someone who live in Jersey for four years, can confirm half of that stuff is probably true.

Heck, I once saw the Jersey Devil one morning when on my way to attend a seminary

>Ant Zone
Thus began the RIFA-Harvester Wars

bless us with your mastery of US geography and sociology, oh great noble one. Bestow upon us an alternate map wherein we can truly have accurate fun.

I've been wanting a not-Texas GTA for years.
Between Dallas, Houston, and Austin, and the podunk in between, it already has 3 zones and a wilderness sandbox.
Plus you can throw in cartel stuff and nutty Christians, maybe some megachurch stuff. Like moving drugs for a Peter Popoff type guy.

I'm not in the mood.

The three ideal settings are 1. NY 2. WA 3. LA

Louisiana gives you New Orleans and the swamps and voodoo; Washington gives you Seattle and the rainy Pacific forests; New York gives you NYC and plenty of weird upstate towns and fall foliage.

Choose your poison.

that's supposedly GTA6, Magnolia City based on Houston

>GTA in Texas
They're not gonna do anything other than San Fierro and Las Venturas until 2025 reboot

Hahahaha, sure you jest my friend! Florida is a wonderful place and nothing weird happens here! Those "Florida man" twitter things are just slanderous lies on this great state. There's especially no supernatural things and there definitely isn't any cultists or anything around. Florida is a wonderful place filled with wonderful people and totally not ruled by evil entities from beyond the stars!

Who is Gary and why does he get an empire

>heth shehet ess sush du runun. sellephuth du hull slusset. sillellius ess shehet hellet Florida!
FTFY

If it's a setting where the supernatural hide from normals, Florida. You can make any kind of weird story and it'd make sense as long as you said it happened in Florida, perfect place to hide.

Alaska, Hawaii, or Florida.

Why Florida?

In one state there are more deadly snakes, spiders, insects, and large predatory creatures in a single space. Oh also torrential weather, and massive swamps up northwest.

>Chicago and Green Bay now in the same state

Haha, I have no idea what you are saying, brother!

Haha, there are no supernatural things in Florida, it's a perfectly well-adjusted place like anywhere else! And if there were supernaturals things like Snake-monsters, reptilians, Deep ones, Googia they would surely not harm any of our fellow humans!

Haha, the animals in Florida are perfectly fine! Sure, there are some that aren't friendly to humans at first but once you get to know them, they're quite nice! As for the weather, only people from the North think it's bad. Anything below a Category 4 hurricane isn't worth looking at.

Worth every second

Hey what's that in the bit between the Dutchy,Hassee and the Nash Kingdoms?

So far "Alab" from the looks of it. Not sure that bit even got any major cities.

>state

>that's supposedly GTA6, Magnolia City based on Houston
That sounds like nothing more than baseless rumor. I remember people in highschool claiming that Houston was going to be the setting for GTAIV, didn't happen.

Somewhere in the gulf coast, surely. It has the largest concentration of mythologies and a lot of places already rumored to be magical as fuck.

New York is for stupid cunts that live in New York. There's nothing magical there except for the inability of those retards to shut the fuck up about NYC.

>Rhode Island
Fuck yeah

Okay, but what's defining these borders? It's not parallels. It's not rivers.

the rough location of the desert plain.

>NASA is literally a bunch of rednecks and Nazis trying to get shit into space on the bare minimum amount of funding it possibly can.
Close; NASA is a bunch of unreasonably well-read and intellegient rednecks and Nazis trying to get shit into space on the amount of money congress sees fit to give them.
A space program funded entirely by Texas would probably be more successful than NASA.

> Mohave Republic
> Mohave

You're all wrong

I did that specifically to piss off people like you, also what is lexical drift.

You were passing through the pine Barrens and didn't get killed or raped by the hillbillies there? Shit they're worse than the Warren County lunatics

I was struggling to name things in that vicinity.

Oh fuck, we gotta get our shit together in Alaska before something goes down. The Republic of Alaska will rise!

Still would like an answer to

> I did that specifically to piss off people like you
Sure you did.

> also what is lexical drift
It's the evolution of word usage, not spelling.

named after the Mohave people, not the spanish name for their desert

Here's a tip for the Midwest: eastern and western south Dakota are very different from each other, if worse came to worse, the western half of the state would mesh best with Wyoming, Montana, and eastern North Dakota, while the east would go with eastern North Dakota and Minnesota

PART OF ALABAMA HASN'T BEEN RENAMED, YOU FAGGOTS

Sure it has. Leave Alab alone. It's trying.

The hell is "New TJ"?

Washington, but the northwest one, not the capitol.

>The only state to have one of every major biome, an ocean, and a big famous city, Seattle.

>SF is mostly super-rich tech companies now.
"Also in this vein was mentioned (he used the plural personal pronoun we) we take control first of the port cities - New York, San Francisco, Seattle - the idea being that this is a piece of strategy, the idea being that if you control the port cities with your philosophy and your way of life, the heartland in between has to yield. I can't elaborate more on that but it is interesting."