Magic: the Gathering Wednesday Flavor General - Wolfwife Edition

>You are a planeswalker.
>In the vast Multiverse, only you and some other chucklefucks know of the countless worlds beyond your own.

Welcome to the Magic: the Gathering Flavor General thread!

Helpful links:
>Uncharted Realms Archive
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/columns/uncharted-realms

>Planeswalker's Guides
ARCHIVE pastebin.com/Ttgtz6A9

>Set Trailers
pastebin.com/ayJntkE0

>Current Status of Planeswalkers:
2014: magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/checking-planeswalkers-2014-06-16
2015: magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/checking-planeswalkers-2015-2015-08-19

>Doug Beyer's Tumblr
dougbeyermtg.tumblr.com/

Reminder: Keep bait, shitposting, and arguments to a minimum--try to focus on lore discussion. Ignore chandere posts.

This week's Magic Story is "The Archmage of Goldnight" by Kimberly J. Kreines.

magic.wizards.com/node/1027706

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/planeswalkers-guide-part-2-2012-04-18
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>no Avacyn resurrection
0/10
Will not read

>by Kimberly J. Kreines.

The only right answer.

okay story.

Always hoping for more details of what is Nahiri is doing though. Anyone know when spoilers start?

They already have. Those pics without card names are gonna be used for Eldritch Moon cards
P.S. Devil tribal getting a boost in EMN

oh yes I understand that, but I want more then just card art that I can make inferences on

Usually, spoiler season officially starts on the Monday of the week three weeks before the week of release. So for Eldritch Moon, that would be June 27. Sometimes they like to spoil a few cards early if there's some big event going on, like PAX.

thank you I wasnt aware of the three weeks thing.

Thank you, june 27th looks so far away.

I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt before I read this story. No matter how much I've disliked her writing in the past.

>sorin sacrifices himself to disable Emrakul's protection
>then Liliana tragic slips her
>and Nahiri gets off with "yeah, sorry" and joins the gatewatch since they need her help against Ob Nixilis.

Nice use of the "annoying little boy" trope.

Good story. Arlinn doesn't seem very red, though.

She's red because she uses red magic. Personality doesn't factor into color.

The author's idea of red is 'i was a womyn trapped in patriarchal society, now i'm a free womyn in contact with my furry naturalistic self and mustn't be ashamed of myself.'

WHAT OTHER WORLD FOREST??? WHERE DID SHE PLANESWALK TO!???

SJWs make mtg lore even dumber somehow.

You sound bitter

It does, or else colors wouldn't matter, and Jace and Bolas would have infinite power because they're smarter than others.

except the entire time she was trying to prove she was still part of the goldnight.

>Jace and Bolas would have infinite power because they're smarter than others.
>Jace smarter than others.
top kek

To be fair, her mentor's reaction is completely rational given everything people know about werewolves and the fact sparks are not known to most people.

>"Rembert, it's me! I know I killed a whole lot of people in wolf form when you last saw me, but I'm 100% better now and want to protect people instead of kill and eat them."
>"If that was true you would be a wolfir. Fuck off."

And that she was ashamed if what she did.

How has the multiverse remained a secret for so long? Don't you think someone would tell everyone they know about parallel worlds

And be regarded as a madman. Or killed.
You'll need some serious proof.

planeswalkers are incredibly rare, and there are even rarer ways go to other planes.

how would people even learn of the multiverse.

Serious proof like bringing back shit that clearly comes from another world?

Lorwyn

>vanishing in front of someone
>reappearing with something no one has ever seen before
Is that not good enough?

Remember a plane is still a whole planet. Arlinn can't prove she didn't just find something really weird across the sea and pretend that that's proof of her clearly implausible story.

Or planeswalking right in front of them.

isnt the entire size of a plane dependent on the plane itself

I think they know in Ravnica.
And Fishtits' little sister knows about it as well.

You can't planeswalk somewhere else on the plane you're already on, and if you leave and then come back all you've proven is either you can turn invisible or you know how to teleport, not that another world exists.

Witchcraft!

>you can't planeswalk somewhere else on the plane you're already on
Nissa, Gideon, and Jace all did that in BfZ.

What if you summon a Kraken to their living room?
Would that be convincing?

That's just being a summoner who's showing off.

When.

That's what happens when you have a bunch of writers that don't share notes.

Just send them to dominaria and let'em enjoy it for some minutes.

Citation please.

Planes are not necessarily planets. Consider how utterly Theros defies physics, with the world genuinely have an edge that falls away into Nyx.

They're just independent realms that disobey physics in a variety of ways.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's confirmed that, at least for Inistraad and Tarkir, their is only one continent or landmass

>It is not known whether any werewolves still exist on Innistrad, but some, perhaps many, might have escaped destruction by slayers and rejected Avacyn's eldritch transformation into wolfir. It was theorized that other lands beyond the great seas harbored exotic species of lycanthropes, and it has been speculated that some werewolves of the known world have fled for those far regions.
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/planeswalkers-guide-part-2-2012-04-18

yeah innistrad has been stated to have multiple land continents, we just happen to always stay in teh same one.

I want to say they even joked the other continents change what kind of horror genre you encounter

> everyone said arlinn was fluff walker and would do nothing for the plot
> first article basically spells out for you that arlinn and the werewolves will become innistrads protectors
> get scoffed at
> say nahari will be huge for modern
> everyone dick rubbing about sorin
> everything I say comes true and this story just reinforces my opinion
Btw arlinn as a card will be integral to some top tier decks in em. Buy now before the spike from spoilers.
> made almost triple my money off nahiris

Unless Arlinn can magically mind-control every fucking werewolf on the plane to stop being a murderragebeast then they're not protecting shit. The circumstances that have HER any better than a psychotic monster joy-riding inside a human being's skin every full moon are also UNIQUE to Arlinn. The rest of them are the same murderous chucklefucks they've always been.

There's apparently a pack that she has direct control over.

I don't see how that's going to replace three flights of angels, particularly since werewolves can't power most of the defensive enchantments humanity needs to survive.

> implying she won't find a way to turn most into wolfir

I wasn't saying that they would, I was saying that there's a pack of werewolves that she leads and they're pretty tame in comparison to others. So, clearly she's not unique in being a werewolf that can co-exist with humans.

>Emrakul falls into an open grave with a cartoonish banana-peel-slip sound effect.

Although if it's the same size as before, it will still be somewhat alive until a wolf savages it.

>liked how magic played angels straight
>lol jk they evil now
>liked how werewolves really were incapable of restraint and self control and weren't romanticized furrybait
>lol jk here's a woobie snowflake that has all the good attributes of a werewolf and none of the bad

Better than making invincible beings beyond comprehension die by friendship.

Fair enough, but if people know there are other continents, then they must also know what is and isn't there, still meaning someone could bring something alien back

To be fair, that was more the ramp mage figuring out a way to share her infinite mana combo with the one who could cast Fireball.

>Not wanting werewolves fighting blood angels
I'm sorry you have shit taste user

Kimberly, is that you?

Sorry senpai

did you miss the recent article about the werewolf who slaughtered his family and then got smited by an angel?

Also MTG has the entire gamut of angels, good to bad, we just came from a block where they have good angels. Last we heard sigarda is still uncorrupted.

How delusional do you have to be to get that out of the story at all?

It's not even that the angels are bad in Innistrad, it's that the spiteful asshole trying to destroy the plane is driving them insane by manipulating the plane's mana to make them do what she wants.

Innistrad's angels were some of the best, which is why it's infuriating to me that returning to Innistrad heavily involves killing them off enmasse.

There's a lot of hate for Kreine because her stories have fallen flat before. I thought that this one was okay. A bit short, but it's a setup for the rest of EMN. I liked how the devils were portrayed, cackling little assholes, and the transition in perspective from Arlinn to the werewolf.

The fuck do you think omniscience means On ravnica jace is able to hive mind everyone into a super intellect nd bolas actually is the smartesy by himself who only loses because plot.

>I have all these forests i must save my lands from annihilator 6
>my rituals are all banned in modern, i cannot do 10 damage in one turn or kill indestructable
truely the best in fiction and I see why people ship them.

C'mon, red has all the coolest stupid big X spells. You gotta ship 'er with someone with huge tracts of lands!

I getcha, it could be remedied if they gave us more information on sigarda and her flight.

Based on some of the angels depicted in artwork like Descend Upon the Sinful, I'm pretty sure Sigarda's fight is insane too, her angels are the only ones that carry scythes.

It could, but I would be confused as to why Sigarda would be the only angel of her flight unaffected.

Because Sigarda is the most powerful angel in her flight, the rest wouldn't be strong enough to resist it, plus it seems that a good deal of why Sigarda resisted is because she wasn't a big fan of Avacyn while her flight probably doesn't share that opinion.

She has Hexproof, dog.

Sigarda isn't affected by what's going on with the other angels because she has Hexproof. She literally cannot get mind controlled by everything that's going on because of Nahiri. She just hasn't shown up story-wise because she's scared shitless by Avacyn going loco along with every other angel on Innistrad. Right now it's assumed she's trying to protect humans due to the mechanics on her card, but in theory we should see her or get mentioned within the next week or two now that Avacyn's been killed.

Was it ever stated if Angels are like Demons in that they just reform eventually if they are killed?

I would assume not given the 4th sister has been dead.

it's also bossible they do but not as literally the same individual. that's also possible of demons too, I guess

That doesn't necessarily mean that, demons don't reform as the same demon their mana becomes a new demon. Really the issue I have is are angels finite? If they are then will so many no doubt dying here then Innistrad seems really screwed and if it isn't the reasons it isn't are going to have to feel really forced.

Wouldn't the 4th sister reform just as strong though, being the head of a flight is more then just any ordinary angel
I assumed angels just spontaneously come into being and are not finite

I'm more of the opinion that nahiri is just pawn and everything she created is just amplifying the madness orchestrated by the raven man.

I think the ultimate plan is to kill sorin and have one less old walker to oppose him when he's revealed as yawgmoth

One can hope, right? Certainly more interesting to have everyone acting crazy for a reason other than angsty sandy tacos.

I mean think about it, nahari alone doesn't have the strength to do what she's done, supposedly she handled the other two eldrazzi titans alone and brought emrakul to innistrad when she needed the help of the super friends and two old walkers to handle it last time?

Nah, something's up. Or it better fucking be. If its just her alone that's some incredibly shitty writing by wizards.

This has been Grimdark for No Reason: The Set.

Brought to you by Doug Beyer's tumblr account.

Pretty much this, Innistrad was already a terrible place even with Avacyn and the angels around, now it's like something straight out of 40k, in fact you could probably compare the fate of the angels to what usually happens to Sisters of Battle. Did Matt Ward write this?

Serena, is that you?

Is it really that obvious?

I think I've seen you a few times in this thread, and others.

Don't worry. It's endearing.

She has nothing to do with Ulamog and Kozilek. And I don't think she has any sort of control over Enrakul, she is just the 'harbinger, so she is just bringing him to Innistrad.

Not really

There's an agreement among Planeswalkers to keep it secret on Ravnica, because no one wants to get dissected by Niv-Mizzet. There was an UR about it last year.

At least it wasn't important.

It might be more accurate to say personality doesn't HAVE to factor into colour. Arlinn was trained to use W/R magic, and so her card includes R to represent that she retains that training even if her philosophy and personality have shifted.

Species can (but doesn't always) also influence colour, Kiora would probably be mono-U if she wasn't a Merfolk. Karn certainly has enough of a personality that he could be placed on the colour wheel, but remains purely colourless due to his nature.

Vraska's another example, though I'm not sure of which. Personality-wise she's almost pure B, but retains G due to either her species or her history wtih the Golgari as an organization.

>Kiora would probably be mono-U if she wasn't a Merfolk
Dude, what? Green is all about big creatures, and Kiora is a total size queen.

Sorry, brainfart. Meant to say mono-G, you are quite correct.

So any bets on whether he's cooled down or he's still buttmad after the timeskip between SOI and EMN?

Sorin care about three things: His plane, his family and Avacyn. Nahiri killed almost his entire family, he had to kill Avacyn himself and his plane is getting raped. No he's still a Mad Dad.

>So, clearly she's not unique in being a werewolf that can co-exist with humans.

She's just the alpha wolf of her pack, and if the alpha says back off, the others obey. I really doubt its anything special.

Nah, Sorin and Nahiri are going to have such hot makeup sex.

>that pic
>"I herd u were talkin shit lik I wudnt find out"

A factor of Sorin's character they haven't really gotten into yet in canon is that he is a vindictive motherfucker who never, ever, EVER forgets a grudge.

The dude makes getting revenge on people a hobby to help pass eternity and can hold grudges for centuries. Forgiveness isn't something Sorin DOES.