Why is there no GoT tabletop?

Why is there no GoT tabletop?
The license can't be more expensive than LotR and it has at least if not more fans worldwide.

Don't care so much about rules but minis would be great.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/DoIb62THIT0
grippingbeast.co.uk/GBP03_Dark_Age_Warriors--product--3276.html
perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_62&products_id=2471&osCsid=4r22rfhmc34jiv0p3vgo42glv6
perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_62&products_id=3148&osCsid=4r22rfhmc34jiv0p3vgo42glv6
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Why is there no GoT tabletop?
It's called Dungeons & Dragons. Martin ran a D&D campaign and later turned it into a series of books.

What? Are you living under a rock?

>Why is there no GoT tabletop?
There are two. There is a d20 version called Game of Thrones that is out of print and there is version that uses its own rules system called A Song of Ice and Fire currently published by Green Ronin.

Yeah we deff need more game of thrones shit. The sooner that fat fuck croaks the better.

It does exist, we're currently playing a game of it.

It's decent, if the DM knows what he's doing.

The d20 adaptation sucks, the Green Ronin one is okay.

Personally, if I was to do this, I'd start with Labyrinth Lord and its An Echo, Resounding domain play system for running nations, and bolt the Drama System from Robin Laws' Hillfolk on top to beef up D&D's anemic social mechanics.

Im pretty sure he's referring to a tabletop wargame, not RPG.

So he is, I totally missed the bit about minis.

That's an even better question then.

Do you even need specific minis? You can easily repurpose your average medieval figure with a paintjob. I mean it's 90% history and 10% mostly generic dragons and zombies.

I guess you might have to apply some artistic license to a few castles and terrains, but other than that the only thing stopping you is doing some browsing, some purchasing and some paint thinning.

I guess bitching about it online is easier though.

>I guess bitching about it online is easier though.

It always is, user, it always is.

I've always wanted to give the Green Ronin RPG a try, but I've never found anyone willing to play it.

I've heard some good things about the Night's Watch expansion, as well.

>The license can't be more expensive than LotR
>it has at least if not more fans worldwide.

You just pretending to be retarded right user?

R-right?

It's actually GURPS now, his group switched to GURPS because it works better for more varied stuff.

youtu.be/DoIb62THIT0

I have a friend who went over the rulebook and he said Water Dancers can cheese the fuck out of its dodge rules.

>The license can't be more expensive than LotR and it has at least if not more fans worldwide.

GW GoT mini line when? Though LotR and Hobbit lines aren't the hugest sellers, so they might be wary of trying to snag more gimmick licenses than their own IPs.

I'm pretty sure Ral Partha and Dark Sword have some GoT miniatures, though I'm not sure they're officially licensed. Ral Partha is pretty baseline for fantasy miniatures but the Darksword ones are up towards the top of the line (barring the CAD sculpts of larger companies).

Because GoT is only very tangentially about fighting.

If you wanted an authentic tabletop it would be all the non-combat characters performing social and intrigue attack maneuvers.

You realize he's told the show producers exactly where he wants the show to go in the event he does die, right? Martin croaking isn't going to make GoT disappear, and neither is coming into a thread just to screech "I DON'T LIKE THIS THING, REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

How helpful do you think it is to sperg out just because something negative was said about [thing you like]

I think you missed his point. He was saying he wants GRRM to bite it so the books would be handed to someone who has any desire to finish them, hence us getting more content than the almost nothing he currently puts out.

Repurpose historical miniatures. Most of the houses can be represented fairly easily.

Starks (probably work for ironborn with a different paint job too): grippingbeast.co.uk/GBP03_Dark_Age_Warriors--product--3276.html

Lannisters/Tyrells/other well equipped houses:
perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_62&products_id=2471&osCsid=4r22rfhmc34jiv0p3vgo42glv6
perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_62&products_id=3148&osCsid=4r22rfhmc34jiv0p3vgo42glv6

Good ideas.

I wish there was a historical scene around me.

Are you thinking of the Malazan Book of the Fallen?

I see your confusion, user.

he's counting normies in his estimate

Hey 20 years for 5 books is a blistering pace. I mean we can;t all be professional writers paid gobs of money to write word on pages. aSIoF is a labor of love by a man dedica... Wait, what's that? He is a professional writer. And he does get paid gob tons of money to write and yet only releases a book every five years I see... Well, screw that why doesn't he just turn the series over to a ghost writer who wants to do it?

dark sword miniatures already produces game of thrones miniatures

>Well, screw that why doesn't he just turn the series over to a ghost writer who wants to do it?
If you really like the books, then you don't want this to happen because they wouldn't be the same without Martin writing them. If you don't really like the books, then you don't care how quickly they come out.

GRRM has orders to full Mad King on his manuscripts if when he croaks before the end.

ASOIAF is a political-character driven setting it's not especially well suited for tabletop games.

you're thinking of record of lodoss war

I don't understand how exactly someone could enjoy a tabletop campaign based on A Song of Ice and Fire. If it's set around the time of the shows (or even before if you hold to canon), you can't really affect the stuff that happens with the highborns much. When you get away from the highborn intrigue, it turns into another pseudo-medieval world with not that much interesting going on. There's nothing you could get out of ASOIAF that you couldn't do better in a setting like the Witcher or a properly done Warhammer Fantasy campaign in the right part of world.

>20 years for 5 books is a blistering pace

Not with amphetamines, it isn't.

this

Here's what I do every time my players want to use a setting from a TV show or cartoon:

1) This is an alternative timeline - assume roughly the same kinds of things have happened, with the exceptions i mention. Things didn't happen exactly the same way either.
2) None of the named characters exist - if a specific character is central to the feel of the story, then there's an NPC who fills that role but may be entirely different.

In the case of ASoIaF, all the noble families would be different and have different names, mottos, philosophies, and people.
There may be a Lannister-esque "rich and influential" family. There may be a Stark-esque "lawful stupid goody two-shoes" family. Maybe, maybe not.
There probably was a king who died, destabilizing the balance of power.

And so on.

I've done this for five or six campaigns, two of which turned out to be very long - one was based on a TV show and lasted three years where we played regularly, the other was based on an animoo and went on for about five years of regular play and three more years of "maybe once every couple months" for a total of 8 years going.
...All I'm saying is it's tried and true.

Except you can do taht in any setting. GoT's setting is meh tier at best. The show and books thrive because of its characters and plots, not because of the setting itself. Polar opposite of Conan in my opinion

Learn to read you faggots.

Yes of course I included normies, GoT has a wider fanbase than LotR worldwide.

and to think Veeky Forums was one of the smarter boards...