So I just bought this off of Amazon as an impulse buy. I've heard good things and it was cheap. What am I in for, anons?

So I just bought this off of Amazon as an impulse buy. I've heard good things and it was cheap. What am I in for, anons?

And Song of Blades and Heroes General, I guess.

Anyone tried the supplements for it and other versions? How are they? Shadowsea and Deep Wars look interesting, and the mutants and ray guns.

Other urls found in this thread:

ganeshagames.net/army_builders/SBHbuilderRevised-v1217.html
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I ordered the advanced version myself. I'm also currently stalking for a Mordheim rulebook. I'm planning on combining these with a Frostgrave rulebook to help design a skirmish campaign for me and my friends, using a combination of rules, tables, and inspirations to make something neat, as well as using them as design touchstones and inspiration to build a dedicated campaign system with a whole lot of fun but needless complexity behind it, even the game itself is fairly simple and straightforward.

That sounds fun. I have frostgrave too. I could easily see using this as the core game system with the easy warband creation and rules, and use all those delicious loot tables in frostgrave to make a better campaign experience.

Which edition did you grab?
If yu like it, the expansions or additional homebrew become something to look into quickly. The game is fun but leaves you wanting just a little bit more.

5th edition, which i am pretty sure is the latest one.

Mordheim has some fun rules and crazy random tables, exploration dice, and criticals that seem fun, if unpredictable, which is fine.

And Wyrd Wars, a fan-made Mordheim rewrite, includes warband lists from WHFB factions as well as a few from canon that didn't appear in game. That gives you a diverse selection of fantasy creature warbands that are nominally balanced to choose from.

We'll see what we want to run and have a lot of reference material to touch on or help fill in the scaffold of a larger campaign system we want to run. Also we have a few combat and skirmish game systems to work with so we can see which one we like most. We could build it towards trying to steal treasure in the game, like Frostgrave, or we can build it for fighting and to the victor go the exploration dice. Hell, we could build it to use both; stealing treasure in combat is a surefire way to earn cash, but the loser gets a roll of the exploration dice as a consolation prize, showing that the winners have made off to secure their loot and the losers are left to root through the leftovers.

Howabout shadowsea and deepwars? Has anyone looked into these games? I gather they are both the same settings, but shadowsea is a miniatures game taking place underground, and deepwars takes place underwater. Its got a dark fantasy feel to it that im kinda digging.

I know I'd love to get a group together to play these games.

I have Advanced SoBH, I think the only difference is that you can make reactions when your opponent rolls a failure and the various traits are more defined. Only played a few games so far, I got this to try and get some of my friends into wargaming as it requires minimal miniatures. It's been fun, the rules are easy to understand and it has very simple mechanics. The only thing that confuses me, and maybe another user can tell me more about this, is how the point value of traits is created. You can get a warband builder that does it for you but there is no point value to the traits listed in the book, so I have no idea how these numbers are created. That's the only thing that bugs me right now, but with the warband builder it isn't a problem. Here's a pick of the last game, 300 pts, 5 minis on one side 4 on the other, with my shit ass terrain haha

It's painted with snow effects on it, it's hardly shit terrain.
Is that a board or a mat, btw?

Its a snow mat on top of a board that I made. The idea was to have something portable in case there wasn't enough table space I could bring the board and have a nice surface to play on. For example the table in the pic is horrible for wargaming with a huge indention in the middle. Found a neat little mat from mats by mars, and now its perfect for wargames on the go. Most the terrain in the pic is papercraft to. As I said I'm trying to get my friends into this stuff so I'm really trying to make it was easy as possible.

So I just went through using the warband builder.

ganeshagames.net/army_builders/SBHbuilderRevised-v1217.html

It's pretty fun. I am trying to get around how limited it is in things, but I like the system's simplicity.

Have you tried the Song of Deeds and Glory for extended campaigns and song of gold and darkness for dungeons and loot system?

bumping because it's a very fun little game with no love here.

So for the fun of it I am going through the warband creator making stats for some of my warhammer armies. This is for the Stormcast Eternals. Each model is very expensive but good, which kindof fits their theme.

I'm working on the Dispossessed Duardin next.

The dispossessed. The duardin chased from their holds by chaos.

For the nurgle rotbringers, I wanted a universal ability for them, so i decided on poison, to represent them spreading their plague with every attack.

I dunno what the stick with those guys with pseudo latin names but it seems a warband with very few minis (like 2-4) but very elite.
The dorfs are alright too, tiny legs=short move.
The idea of plague/poison is a good one so good job brosky.

Yeah the stormcast eternals are pretty elite. Theyre a faction of warriors imbued with heavenly magic whose made to fight chaos. Kindof like angelic warriors. So they all have fearless.

I think poison works great on nurgle. The putrid blightkings are huge bloated dudes who spread the plague by even getting near stuff, hence they have Shooter: Short

I'm working on what I have for skaven pestilens now.

Sweet
could it possible to do gutbustet ogors next?
I want to try fear and faith.

Here are my skaven. I mostly have clan pestilens, which like nurgle, spread plagues and disease. But I also have a few extras, hence the masterclan grey seer and the eshin assassin

Sure, I love ogors. When I eventually one day get around to doing a destruction army, I will probably do gutbusters

Gutbuster ogors done. I didn't do the scraplauncher or ironblaster because the basic SoBaH rules don't really cover things like that. I'm trying to keep with the core rulebook here.

Sweet, now I can use my ogre kingdom models.
more nervous about how much ogres changed over in AoS, though I felt the did the endtimes stuff pretty well for them, imo.
Now I got to get my friend to join in for some skirmishes.
Thanks, user.

What are ogors? Mutant ogres or something?
I'm interested in the one about post apoc, song of ray guns or something, anyone has tried it?

It's the name for ogres in age of sigmar. I was doing some of the age of sigmar factions for the fun of it.

And song of mutants and ray guns is on my next amazon order. Definitely has a Gamma World feel to it.

All these I made using the warband builder linked here But it is for an older version of the rulebook. To get it to look like pic related, which is everything in the core rulebook, you need to do the following.

Go to the [Configure Options] button at the bottom, and uncheck all the 'Display Special Rules from:' checkboxes, except User Created and Song of Blades and Heroes.

Then you need to create new special rules. Use the [Edit Special Rules] button, add the following:

Name - Cost - Personality?

Combat Master - 10 - personality
Danger Sense - 3
Dashing - 3
Desert Walk - 3
Gargantuan - 3
Good Shot - 3
Greedy - -2
Heavy Armour - 3
Legendary Shot - 15 - personality
Rabble - -5
Unerring Aim - 3

After you get that done, your builder should look like pic related. Then you are ready to create warbands using just the core rulebook. If course if you add any of the supplements, just go to [Configure Options] again and check the box of the book you added. Some of those, however, are repeated in the latest rulebook now.

What kind of warband are you making user?

I've been painting up some Reaper minis, so far I have two warbands going. Undead and generic fantasy adventurers.

They only thing I dislike about the system is how scattered the rules are between supplements, like how in the wilderness supplement (song of wind and water I believe) it lists a scenario involving were creteaures but doesn't list the rules for them instead it says check out page xx in SGD which is confusing considering they could've just said song of gold and darkness

I wish they had a book with just traits rolled into one.

That would be nice. I am really only interested in the traits from the other books more than anything.

The core sobah book has all the points costs for the special rules from all the supplements, but doesnt provide what books they come from.

Yeah that's what frustrates me, I'm making a wood elf warband and i wantes to include some werecreatures but it took me forever to track down which actual book had the rule in it.

Luckily in the pdf share thread i found these:
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames
It has several of the PDFs, but not sure on what edition they are. It's good enough for me though.

Awesome, thanks user!

Now that I have all these, I am going to print all the special rules pages, read over them, and probably recreate my aos warbands now that i have more options. I'm pretty stoked about this.

No, but I suppose once I've had a read through of ASoBH then I'll probably get those. Most likely in PDF form but I do love me that paperback. Do they do what Osprey publishing does and give you a deep discount on a PDF when you buy a hardcopy? I got Frostgrave in PDF and hardcover for not much more than the hardcover that way.

I liked the faith and fear one because I have sort of an "secret world " like setting, with a basic skirmish between the Templar and "the force of corruption." see: Splatterhouse series monsters for a basic demo game.

So what kind of warbands do you guys have/are building?

I'm in the process of making a savage wood elf force. Mostly it's made up of Grenadier Fantasy Warrior Wood Elves I picked up from Forlorn Hope Games, along with 2 4th edition WHFB Wardancers that I'm going to used as berserkers, and a 4th edition Durthu for my obligatory treeman.

My list is going to be something like,

2x berserkers
1x Hero
3x Spearmen
4x Archers
1x Shaman
2x Eagle Rider Archers
2x Were-creatures (Thinking 1 wolf and 1 bear)
1x Treeman

I'll probably get some generic woodland animals and maybe something like a chimera or gryphon, some kind of monsterous creature.

Anyone know of any good werewolf models that have a more 80's/90's look to them?

So i checked out this document, and I think I need this book. I am in super collecting mode right now. I can't find a pdf of it, so I will order it on my next paycheck i think.

But I like the slimness of sobah rules, but feel it's missing additional magic and weapon/armour rules. So I would get it simply for just the traits and weapon rules.

Look for Ral Patha for the wolfie, or mantic last one. I prefer Confrontations minis for werewolves, or the wrath of kings ones but tend to be a bit pricy.
My warbands are pretty boring, I use my LoTR and some wh 6th edition minis, so I have my evil dudes wb with orcs, goblins and uruks plus some evil mages and knights and the men army with rohan and empire knights and some gondorians with empire broing it up. The other minis I have tend to be leaded be an excentric wizard and comprise lissies, monsters and other beastmen.

Good luck for that, in the net no one seems to have it, not even 7chan the last time I checked.

Bump for fantasy skirmish

Anyone care to share the Advanced Rulebook?

Here's some clan eshin sneaky ratmen for yall.

The brayherd's a raidin'

Warherds. Pretty much like brayherds, but bigger.

With the excitement coming of more sylvaneth/wood elf stuff, lets hope this list grows

What does artificial do?

Its meant for elementals and living constructs. They cant be greusome killed, and immune to morale checks from terror and gruesome kills.

Spiderfang grots. The clinging trait was just made for them.

>Splaterhouse monsters.
Sounds awesome.