WIP / PAINTING THREAD

Nobody wants to post in a dying thread Edition

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Ventilate, motherfucker
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>In the face of death, I shall have no remorse.
youtube.com/watch?v=N_ZgyNoHtjw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XkMZKzfBWL4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Some tutorials to get you guys started.

Working on some extremely-low budget terrain

May the best thread win

Finished some more infantry

And the bottom half of the Dunecrawler

Looking good. What materials? Anything you'd recommend?

you going to get a 50mm for your resin techpriest? The mechandrites would probably look better if they weren't hanging off the edges of the 25mm.

i see no tattoos

I'd like to, but I'm not paying a bunch for a blister pack and I don't want to wait a week for just a base. I wish I could just buy a 50mm at the shop.

Did we really need two?

First miniature Ive painted in a long time, for my Slaaneshi warband.

This is literally the first unit I ever painted.

Things i know:
>missed some mold lines
>I suck at edge highlighting and other precision stuff (like the eyes). Friends say it's only matter of practice

Things I don't know
>Grass seems very fragile. I used diluted vinavil, and finish spraying the matt varnish too, but it still doesn't fell good.

Suggestions?

those look amazing for a first go

put something before grass, maybe sand or mud effect

Building a renegade knight currently, almost done but the gun barrel is pissing me off big time.

Anyone got a good guide or idea for making soot covered muzzles or dirty guns? The whole knight is weathered so I'd like the gun to look somewhat the par.

Drybrush a light brown towards the end of the gun until the tip is mostly brown, do a darker brown with a lighter drybrush, then a black one.

painted a loremaster for warhammer quest

1.what do you guys us to drill barrels?

2.also does anyone have the table from when the names of citidal paints changed? i need to find what regal blue is now called.

3.what's the difference between the paint types?

1. I use a 0.9mm drillbit and a hand drill. Usually make a little hole with a knife first to get it central, then drill into the hole.

2. Search "dakkadakka Paint Range Compatibility Chart". It's my go-to for old/new paint names.

3. By paint types, do you mean brands like Citadel and Vallejo, or like bases, layers, washes, glazes etc.?

>tfw exams soon
>tfw feel guilty as shit whenever I start painting

NEETs will never know how good the life they live really is.

This one's got more posts, and the better OP image. Let's stick to this thread.

bases, layers and techicals etc

I'm in the middle of my exams, and I'm just wasting time on Veeky Forums and watching cricket

hey gaiz!

what if GW let you rent prepainted mini's to play at the table top?

you could just leave a deposit or have your credit card on file.

Confrontation and at-43 tried prepainted minis.
Both games died.
I don't think that is really something that would work for GW.
They try to push The Hobby too hard as a way of life.

Finished up the main colors. Got green to go on blades and nose, then to permanently mount the sails.

And the venoms

>then to permanently mount the sails.
I don't have any DE models, but if you plan on transporting them I suppose putting a magnet under the mast instead of glueing it might be a good idea.

Like the woodgrain, looks funky.

I love it, great inspiration

No, I don't mean pre-painted out of the box, i mean assembled and painted by store reps

Have a smiliar request.

Painting a squad of Basilisks currently and I'm not stoked about painting the guns just boltgun metal.

Yeah, I've got the sockets for the side mounted lances to magnitze too.

Thinking about the mast, sails and splinter rack 1 piece then Make those magnetic

Since you already assembled and painted the models and you probably can't go back in to make the necessary undercostruction I recommend you pin the masts.

Magnets are fine and all, but it can be annoying to have your sails wobble about.

Isn't that basically what a demo game in store is?

I am just starting a Dark Eldar army, any recommendations for conversion bits etc?

I want as many female deldar heads as possible, am i i doomed to bits sites or is there good modelling conversions?

WHFB witches or what they are called.
If you are cool with 3rd party stuff Raging Heroes has several lines of cheesecake armies. Vestals would be what you are look for iirc.
And Avatars of War has something too I think.

The masts are remove able with exception of a eBay job (they even installed the swing arms backwards too) so if I'm going to pin it should be okay on everything here

Oooo, thanks.

Some cool full minis, but also after conversions to add onto existing models and such

Thank you ^^

It's strange, because i had some commission painting, and their grass is totally fine, but i don't see any trace of sand or other stuff.
Weird.

I need some ideas/inspiration in what colour I want to my paint the lasguns that my renegades use. Any good suggestions?

Pink

>Grass seems very fragile. I used diluted vinavil, and finish spraying the matt varnish too, but it still doesn't fell good.
No idea what vinavil is. I use wood glue to glue sand down. Then when that has dried for 24h I mix wood glue 1:2 with water and add a second coat.
After that nothing should come off anymore. Especially once it's primed, painted and varnished.
For stuff like snow I just put some white paint into my wood glue and for static grass or flock I just use regular wood glue.
Never had a problem with stuff coming off my bases.

Only backdraw is that it takes a while to dry.

more context would be helpful.

>more context would be helpful.

My renegade army is a rebel/revolutionary army from a temperate agri world. They mostly consits of farmers and regular citizens that have taken up arms against the Govenor and the Imperium due to a rise in the Imperial tithe. So they lack uniform since they do not wear matching outfits. But they all got lasguns that I say are from stolen pdf/guard surplus.

Oh, and they follow Nurgle

yeah, but say you don't want to spend 40 hours painting and 500 bucks to get your army ready. Wouldn't it be worth 10-20 bucks just to be able to play now instead of later?

In that case: standard issue but rusty and badly maintained.

>40 hours

In 40 hours you wouldn't have finished properly assembling a $500 army.

yeah, cause you know, anybody who has a problem with imperial rule automatically worships chaos...

You can thank the unsactioned psykers that joined the army for that

its just a random number autismo

Bases are your average paints, layers are a bit more transparent and not designed for base coats (they require a correct layer underneath to make sure you get the right colour if you want to base coat one with) and technical is a catch all for paints like medium and gloss.

cheers m8

Got a bunch of hirsts moulds, been trying out casting; I think I'm getting the hang of it. Gonna use them to spruce up and make my Mordheim terrain have the little bit more sophistication to them.

Not if you were trying to make a case for it taking too much effort and money to get an army. But goes to show what you know about painting miniatures.
Also, not /wip/.

>autismo
Ok, kid.

seriously?

how does the amount of time i listed have ANYTHING to do with the point I was trying to make?

My point was that it takes a lot of time. I could have said 40 or 400, it would have meant the exact same thing.

Only a complete autist would latch onto that and try to correct somebody like some socially deranged faggot who thinks that number was in any way fucking relevant to the conversation at hand.

I mean, seriously, wtf? Are you just trying to score asshole points and win over the crowd by tearing somebody down for no good reason, or are you that much of fucking obsessive compulsive nitpicker that just seriously bothered you for some reason?

Reposting my orks.
Do they look snakebitey enough?
Warpaint is fun as fuck holy shit

>triggered
Should you really be using this website in your condition?

That capes great, it's crispe what model is that?

It's hard to tell from that image alone, but they look a bit, I don't know, monotone. I mean look at these crazy fuckers here.

loremaster of hoeth (plastic)

Posting another picture in hopes of getting replies.

No highlights, looks like blob of browns, silver and green slaped with wash.

The pictures are not very good, mate. And while the paintjob looks perfectly fine for tabletop standard, it could be neater. Like the pink on the bolter magazine.

If you want to take better images without much effort, just fold a sheet of white paper in half, open it and prop it against something. Then shine a light straight at it and bam. Decent pictures.

They're highlighted, it's the distance imo

Dunno m8, in my opinion there's so much more you can pull form simple boy model.
All those straps, clothing, skin, weathering etc.

Got pics of your scenery yet?

I've been sitting on a bunch of building materials without motivation to do anything for a while now. I should do something.

Are you using plaster or resin?

I can't get a good pic as if I put light on it it's too bright and ugly to see the details and without the light it's too dark, how'd you take a picture like that?
I only don't highlight belts and wristbands as I have a problem with my hands

Does anyone have a tutorial for this style of black armour edged in blue? Not fussed over new or old paint range, I'm prepared to eyeball it comfortably but I'm just curious if a tutorial is actually floating around.

What's the most common method to paint dark eldar skin? I've had trouble using palid wych flesh as I'm new to painting and I'm struggling to get it to cover well. Is there any other colour schemes people use?

> I'm struggling to get it to cover well

If your problem is that the basecoat is showing, you can either work up from a grey basecoat and/or use multiple thin layers.

How much do I need to thin my layer paints? I'm finding that some of them are too watery and they end up leaking into the recesses that I'm trying to avoid and if I don't use enough the paint looks crumbly and blocks out detail. Palid wych flesh in particular is the paint I struggle to get right with this.

I basecoat with rakarth flesh, then wash with reikland flesh shade and finally highlight with palid wych flesh.

Does this help at all?
youtube.com/watch?v=XkMZKzfBWL4

Same poster as I find palid wych flesh to be very chalky so I use lahmain medium to thin it, I find water thins it too much as you say it just leaks into the recesses.

Layer paints generally don't need to be thineed down too much. A very small drop of water in a good dollop of paint on your palette usually suffices. Either that or use a medium.

And it's of course possible that you got a bad pot. It happens.

That looks really good so I might do a test model using that scheme and see how it compares. I'm surprised he didn't use palid wych flesh as I figured that was the main paint to use when painting dark eldar flesh.

I may pick some of that up then. I hope it's not a case of a bad pot, this stuff is damned expensive.

I kinda followed OP guide to making photos (it's still not lightbox with 2 light sources but hey), i put my camera on desk so it wasn't shaking while taking photo, and slightly edited lighting/shades in program.

I'll see if can find the WD paint splatter for Cassius from Overkill, it's pretty close.

It looks like it's just a very dark blue edge highlighted with a lighter blue, then possibly a blue glaze to tie it all together. Not particularly difficult, just use a standard 'how to paint black' tutorial and switch out the grey for blue.

>tfw I can see actual progress in my painting skills
I'm still garbage but I'm seeing a lot less brush strokes and the paint isn't thick everywhere (now just in areas that I've over-painted like an idiot)

How is your day of painting going?

Sup gents. I thought I'd make a Pre-Heresy Death Guard dread from the Calth box one.

Nice! How'd you round out the shoulders, just creative sanding? And where are those kneepads from?

Detail shot. I'm not sure about the knee pads. They're from deffinately-not-Mortarion I got from a bitz swap I did some years ago. First I thought I'd put them on a champion model but they look a bit too flashy for the legion.

Cheers! They're just rounded up first with a hobby knife and then sanded for a smooth finish. Both arms are also magnetised.

Great work. Be sure to drill out those exhaust pipes and barrels, and gap-fill the power fist. Model looks really solid.

Thanks. Will comply, there's still some sculpting to do and bits to add before basecoating. Really happy with how the respitaror grill thingie came out, never done hard surface stuff that extensively before.

>Finally go and buy a BaC box
>Ask for a bag, hoping for a black, minimalist one like they do for the small ones
>Get a fuckoff big bag with a Imperial Knight on one side with the 40k logo and AoS art and logo on the other
>Feel like everyone is watching me and mocking my nerd bag

I need to get tid of my paranoia someday. On the plus side, I have one dope box now, really looking forward to paint all that, what a bargain.

I carried mine with nerd pride in a clear plastic bag all the way home. It's a great kit really.

>buys shit at a (presumably GW) store
>what a bargain

Are you literally retarded? You could have saved at least 20 bucks (and embarrassment) by ordering it online.

I have sinned. I haven't lived up to my tshirt.

What are you, some kind of faggot? I got that bag in December when I went to my local GW during lunch break at work.

Store's nice, personnel is cool, they deserve my money.
Plus I won't get over my embarassment by hiding in my house.

Should I base like this? I tried with a brown rim and it looked weird.

To be fair, this one's pretty cool.