Models look very very nice (some of them). but the game system ? is it any good ? do you like it...

models look very very nice (some of them). but the game system ? is it any good ? do you like it ? i hate that the scale is a bit off and doesn't fit with normal 28mm terrain.

Other urls found in this thread:

wyrd-games.net/malifaux-history
wyrd-games.net/breachside-broadcast
wyrd-games.net/media
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's my favorite game. Cards as RNG eliminates a bit of the randomness since you can see every card only once before reshuffling. The majority of objectives don't require killing, you can actually win after getting tabled. You build your crew after knowing the objectives, so you can change things up between games and netlisting is practically nonexistent.

And, of course, the models and fluff are great.

Malifaux general?

What's this?

Malifaux General then

Good thread- Turn in next week when Veeky Forums tackles on game of the week.

Next week we have a true gem of a game: Wrath of the Kings!

Maybe somebody here could clear this up for me.
Are the old metal models completely OOP?
Cause I like some of the sculpts better than the plastic stuff. And frankly I don't buy stuff I haven't at least seen a picture of. The renders are not nearly enough to go on imo, to make an informed decision.

Or is there a place you can still get them?

Yes they're completely OOP, you can assume that anything metal that's no longer sold by Wyrd (i.e. all of it?) will not be officially available.

Your best bet is third-party stores (especially poorly advertised ones), ebay, forum trades and local trading boards.

Also, remember that metal stuff won't have current stat cards, so grab some of those too.

The metals are OOP. You can find them secondhand or at stores in limited amounts. Miniature Market and Knight have some, and there are random LGSes with them.

Wyrd did start redoing some of the metals in plastic, "Malifaux Vintage" I think. Just 1 master per faction for now, but it opens the door hopefully.

Thanks.

I really want them to do the old Nekima. The size and pose really killed it. Sad as the new one isn't nearly as big.

The old Nekima is an awesome display model, pity it's damn near untransportable (avatar Pandora still takes the cake though).

The size and bikini are pretty annoying. The metal was impressive, if impractical.

I really think they must have accidently scaled her plastic down by at least 50%

Been looking at this game for ages, no one around here plays though so I can't really justify the expenditures as anything more than hobby painting.

After a lot of reading online, there doesn't seem to be any particular metas which is nice (though this could purely be because new stat cards are just coming out) though I have read that ranged combatants can be particularly strong. Still looking for a starting master, though since I most likely wont be playing all that much I might as well just pick based on aesthetic instead of gameplay.

I guess I can always use a few of the figures for my savage world games and other trpgs. The lore makes for a fantastic setting.

There isn't a meta for 2 main reasons
1) Small playerbase. Hard to develop a meta when you're only playing the same dozen people.
2) You can change crews between games and even adjust based on the strat and schemes, so netlisting is virtually nonexistent.

There is Vassal if you want to play online.

Which masters or factions were you looking at?

I'm interested in Zoraida and Nicodem, though Collodi has struck my fancy as well. Hard to say what play styles I'll like without actually playing myself but I have a good idea based off of battle reports I've watched.

Vassal looks interesting, though I can't say I look forward to the idea of online play (just can't replace having the pieces in hand) It looks like a solid alternative if I completely give up on finding a group at a local game shop though, thanks.

>I have read that ranged combatants can be particularly strong

They can be, yes, but I find that this is only the case when people don't lay out a good amount of terrain. If the board is barren, then yeah people like the Guild will run roughshod on ya, but if you put cover and blocking terrain out there then it's a much more even match.

Thinking about getting into the game. Ive demod it. Vant decide on a faction. I want to treat the game as secondary and get one master and just play that. Complex flexible master prefered. Suggestions?

Eyeballing crossroads 7 but I dont know anything about them.

Zoraida is pretty much pure control. She can make other models take actions, debuff enemies with the Voodoo Doll, and just generally be irritating to put down. She can really work with anything, crazy flexible.

Nicodem is your archetypal summoner. He posts up in a corner and spams undead forever. He can also buff them to make them very reliable and quick attackers. Ton of options to summon, but his core crew generally stays the same.

Collodi I don't know very well. He takes a crew of puppets/minions and makes them crazy efficient by sharing conditions and taking extra actions. A different kind of control, I guess.

Crossroads 7 is a cool bunch, but as a crew they don't quite stack up to a normal master-led crew. Fun for a change of pace and can be brutal in certain strats & schemes, but not a world beater. If you're looking for a good all rounder for each faction you've got a good number of options. Were there any masters in particular that stand out for you?

Sadly not asethitically. In wm/h I play mercs. So outcasts and von schill where pointed out to me. Arcanists and rasputia caught my eye last time i looked into the game.

Also tell me more about how the band plays. Doesnt sound like a good fit though.

Individually they're just a bunch of enforcers with generally average statlines and generally below average damage. What they all have are auras that force your opponent to take a little damage or discard a card unless they took a certain action during their activation. All these auras overlap so if you have some poor bastard in range of all 7 he's going to be taking 2 damage per aura unless he pitches cards or took certain actions.

They force you to make a lot of tiny bad decisions with no right answer and they keep doing it all game. Death by paper cuts and significant area control.

>And, of course, the models and fluff are great.

Got cliffnotes for the fluff?

Here is the closest thing to cliffnots I could find

>wyrd-games.net/malifaux-history

There is also some pretty cool media wyrd releases every now and then around the setting

>wyrd-games.net/breachside-broadcast
>wyrd-games.net/media

Bump

Sandeep looks really interesting. I can't wait to see the back of his card.