So the other day there was a bait thread which ended up with some actually interesting posts in it...

So the other day there was a bait thread which ended up with some actually interesting posts in it. The ones that caught my attention were about a setting where adventurers routinely dress up in "sexy" armor and outfits to attract potential customers. Before you say anything, this goes for male and female adventurers both. So the idea is that the stereotypical fap-fodder fantasy art you see in D&D rulebooks and the like is just the characters dressing up and when they go on actual quests they put on regular clothes.

While perhaps not a whole setting, let's have a character building thread about this. Brainstorm up some adventurers and their public personas, perhaps using official RPG art. Discuss the PR apparatus of that kind of world, would there be specific adventurer promoters, specific fashion shoppes for them to get outfitted with "advertising outfits", the whole thing!

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.okcupid.com/index.php/your-looks-and-online-dating/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Reposting the relavant posts:

>In many settings adventures roam from town to town taking on (mostly violent) odd jobs.
When ever they arrive in a new town they need to convince people that their services are worth paying for. This is especially true for settings in which wandering bands of mercenaries are common place and probably compete for work.
So they need to get noticed and they need to convince people that they're good at their jobs.
>Bikini armor does both of these things.
It grabs attention, especially in the pseudo-medieval settings you often see them in.
It also demonstrates competence. Either this person is so skillful they don't need conventional armor or they've been so successful they can afford armor that is effective even in such an impractical form (presumably because it is heavily enchanted or made from exotic materials).
>This reasoning also works equally well for cool-but-impractical armors other than bikini armor.
>If you're dealing with a low magic setting it can just be advertising - people change into more conventional armor once they're been hired for a job.

>small town in need of someone to scare off some bandits
>radiant figure rides into town on a towering white steed
>tall, ravishing blonde female paladin whose body is only barely contained in a skimpy ornate suit of armor
>high heeled boots, fluttering cape, top showing off an acre of cleavage
>smiles kindly and inquires with the mayor about the trouble
>everyone falls in love
>she gets hired
>excuses herself and says she has to do something before she sets out
>walks into the inn and borrows a room
>several people follow to spy from various peepholes in the ceiling, floor and walls
>paladin walks into room, sighs deeply and drops pack on the bed
>begins unclasping her armor
>spies are horrified as they watch her take her top off, which takes most of her tits with it

>turns out they were flesh-colored breast forms covering a pair of b-cups
>paladin groans as she unclasps a flesh-colored realistic corset, her real waist is twice as thick
>peels off the fake pointed nails revealing unmanicured, unpainted ones
>pulls off her long golden wig revealing a crew cut of short spiky brown hair
>visible line around her face after the wig is removed
>she peels off her face mask, flopping it on the floor
>actual face is plain with several scars
>she lets out a loud burp and picks out a dirty, dinged suit of armor from her pack which she dons
>slaps a bucket helmet on and swings her notched sword a few times
>Right then, time to go to work!

Someone looking like they can get a job done matters alot more to me than them looking "sexy". There's a reason private security companies IRL don't have their agents dressing up like supermodels from a kink magazine.

I could see impractical armor being used by guards hired by nobles to sit around and look good. Maybe have social functions adventurers get together and slut it up with. Alternatively it might just be the fashion of non-warriors who want to look hipster tough or something.

Because tacticool is the new fade. Having an army in pimping uniforms has been a thing for longer than poaches and plate carriers.

Less than an hour ago a magical realm thread got nuked off.
Then immediately this appears.

>Before you say anything, this goes for male and female adventurers both.
No it wouldn't and it wouldn't for the same reason (heterosexual) prostitution is pretty one-sided in our own reality. The massive sex drive discrepancy between men and women, which is an established scientific fact. Women hold sexual power simply because they want it far less than men do.

Male adventurers wouldn't benefit from being sexy past the normal benefits attractive people get (and these benefits also work on heterosexual members of the same gender). Sex does not sell to women because not only do they want it less, they can get it without even trying. It would be like trying to advertise a product by offering a free glass of water to potential customers: it's fucking water. There's nothing special about it.

Though this would justify why female adventurers wear sexy clothes while male adventurers dress more "logically": they're both the most pragmatic gear for their target audiences.

It all still feels a bit silly but I do love the idea of adventurers basically having a sort of stage-persona they put in for the crowds, and also possibly to maintain a but of private life and even throw off enemies.

But now I'm imagining just how ridiculously far this gets for the party assassin/rogue/spy.

>Rogue wears thick leather corset that pushes up her boobs, thin will mask and hood, hotpants, and thigh highs.
>Underneath that they're hiding being a young boy in plain, linen peasants clothes
>Underneath THAT is a full grown dude in fully body black canvas and leather
>Underneath those enchantments and makeup is a girl in normal clothing

>dot dot dot

I'm now picturing them as WWE wrestlers, appearing at local taverns and cutting promos. Maybe the blackguard isn't even a blackguard, he's just some paladin who wasn't convincing enough as a face and his manager convinced him to turn heel and develop a rivalry with another adventurer.

>I'm looking for Borkhan the Black and when I find him I'll show him what true justice is about! This is a holy avenger, Borkhan, the strongest sword in the known lands! Not even your black heart can withstand this blade, and when we next meet it will be the end for you!

>Arnor the Bright you're a simpering, deluded fool! The good you worship is for little children and midwives! One day you will realize that the darkness is the only true path! Your so-called holy avenger cannot dent my Infernal Plate of Doom, Arnor, and I'll prove it to you in person! I'll crush you under my spiked boot as if you were a kobold, paladin!

Afterwards:

>Happy hour at the Pig and Whistle, wanna come?

>I'm there man. Nice speech today by the way.

>Thanks, I hired a bard to spruce up my material.

The band of the bishie elves is a known adventurer group of all male elves. They make sure to keep their boyish looks by magic and good care. They recruit their members to fulfill certain roles so there is something for every taste. From the royal elfen prince to the dark elf bad boy and the nerdy mage. Every princess, queen and rich lady will want to hire those prime excamples of youth, handsomeness and skill to solve all their problems.

>tall, towering man of god with a deep voice goes around the town preaching
>after a whole afternoon of answering questions of new converts and converting sinners he heads back to the temple
>locks the door to his cell and takes off his helmet
>starts unbuckling the armor, which covered him from head to toe and gave him the looks of the big towering man of God
>the enchanment is nullified as the cleric inside struggles to pull off the heavy iron plates and puts them in a corner
>finally breathes a sigh of relief when he finally puts away the incredibly heavy iron boots
>drops on the bed, dead tired, after a hard day of work

If you think about it, it begins to make sense. Adventurers are RICH. They gain amounts of money that can topple kingdoms. They have access to gems, gold, and materials that aristocrats drool over.

It only makes sense for them to dress in Barsoom style clothing to show off physique, scars, their wealth, their beauty, their power. It also - and this is important - makes the local militias relax. A person not in armor and carryign weapons clearly made for show is less of a threat to civilians and military alike. A fully armed adventurer can slaughter good portion of a town guard, so putting them at ease is just the smart thing to do.

this is literally a magical realm shit post
kill yourself OP

I'll show you what a magical realm is, you oversensitive bitchboy.

warming up before the werediaper, eh?

Where were you assholes when there were actual smut threads? You promised getting rid of /wst/ would make Veeky Forums better!

It got better. And I believe that OP is honest, but other anons are lacking some creativity.

It really didn't change. If anything, it's gotten worse.

We join different threads it seems.

This. Taking bullshit premises and turning it into something usable is an age-old Veeky Forums tradition. Let's try creativity instead of hostility, alright?

Is this you?

The mods didn't go far enough. It's not enough just to ban the smut threads, they need to ban the people in them too.

Because those have been the relevant army uniforms at the time.

If you wanted a good warrior during the bronze age, you took the guy with the heartguard and a spear. If you wanted a good warrior during 1624 you took the guy with... I don't even fucking remember. What did soldiers wear during 30 year war? Anyway, that.

You want Leather and Spandex with cock piercings? Ham it proudly and declare this is the continent of Metal, where assless chaps and nipplerings reign supreme!

>sex does not sell to women

Tell that to every boy band, every gigolo, every yaoi artist, etc, ever.

The more attractive human is the sexual selector, whether male or female.

>Tell that to every boy band
Have literally nothing to do with sex and radiate literally everything non-sex related women are interested in. Wealth, fame, talent (ymmv), an alpha attitude etc. Being hot is only a small part of their appeal. Or do you honestly, unironically believe Justin Bieber was drowning in pussy before he was discovered?

>Gigolo
How many of them do you think there are for each female prostitute? And how many of them do you think rely on what is effectively PUA?

>Yaoi
You know fujoshits are a fringe group within a fringe group, right?

>The more attractive human is the sexual selector
Look up Briffault's Law, or any form of basic evolutionary psychology for that matter. In all mammals, the female is the selective gender.

>Wealth, fame, talent (ymmv), an alpha attitude
>non-sex related

Yes. Point stands, too.

>Wealth, fame, talent (ymmv), an alpha attitude etc
>not sexy
This was very effective at making me not wanting to read the rest of your post.

The argument is that sex does not sell to women. The argument against was that it does. You have not provided any counter arguments against any of the sex selling in the provided examples.

I'd also add gentleman clubs and male strippers that you can find in every single fucking bachelorette party.

Have you ever been down a book aisle? EVER?

Countless times. Why do you ask?

Those are not traits of sex object. Those are traits of good provider.

Are you really going to start arguing semantics?

>Tits and wide hips are not sexy, they are just traits of good mother

>good provider
>sex object
>different things to women

>Those are traits of good provider.
Which is sexy for women.

None of that uses the act of sex, the prospect of sex or physical attraction. If you want to make an argument that money and power make women wet you might have a good point, but that doesn't suddenly change that men and women have different motivations and therefore dressing like a manwhore won't win you any special treatment from women. Dressing like you own half the city, on the other hand...

You don't read posts you argue against, do you?

>The Menagerie started as a small troupe comprised of a minotaur, a lizardman, and a female gnoll that banded together after repeatedly being rejected from more traditional adventurer circles. Initially finding a small but dedicated clientele that appreciated the 'exotic', their renown spread as it became apparent that thick monstrous hide and powerful natural weapons offset the inherent disadvantage of adventurers' standard attire.

>Since then, the Menagerie has grown to one of the foremost employers of races considered 'monstrous', and their sprawling guildhouse is home not just to these unconventional adventurers, but also to a host of supporting trades: Armorers, tailors, and weaponsmiths skilled in the niche market of inhuman equipment can make a tidy profit, while tavern keepers pay traders handsomely for the variety of bizarre ingredients needed to keep their clientele happy.

>But it's not all sunshine and gnoll abs. The variety of species co-habitating in the Menagerie frequently clash over both ideological issues like perceived favoritism towards the three 'founding species', and more practical conflicts like how hot and how long the torches should burn. More worryingly, the exclusionary nature of the troupe has created fertile ground for a small number of monstrous extremists that perceive humanity as an enemy or a threat, and rumble of revolution. Such talk is technically grounds for dismissal, but nobody has ever been officially accused.

>None of that uses the act of sex, the prospect of sex or physical attraction.
Wrong again. A woman sees a man with those attributes and the cavewoman part of her brain starts hooting and hollering at her to get some dick from him. This isn't fucking debatable user.

Sorry, wrong reference.

Meant for and Really, walk down a book aisle sometime. Tell me that sex doesn't sell to women after you walk past Fabio, his twin, their brothrs and cousins, the superstrong half naked Carpathians, the rugged cowboys and the suave looking superspies on the front of every romance nove, new-wave urban fantasy, and gothic romance book.

Sex sells to women just fine.

>No it wouldn't and it wouldn't for the same reason (heterosexual) prostitution is pretty one-sided in our own reality.

user, there is a stable market for male prostitutes. They generally claim to do health-related stuff with an esoteric twist, but they basically just give their clients handjobsjobs with additional basic psychological care.

That's pretty high-class though, then you got a whole lot of nothing and then come the pimps. Many smalltime pimps without mob connections effectively are men prostituting themselves to prostitutes.

>Look up Briffault's Law

It's 2016, the research in early human kinship structures has made some progress since then. There are multiple early forms of kinship, not just one. The organization of kinship also changed in accordance with economic, ecologic and social pressures.

I think the correct turn of phrase is : "BETA BUX ALPHA FUX", which translates to :"The role of provider and sexual mate have become seperated in our society", but that's based on the assumptions that women aren't keen on putting up with having sausages stuffed up their fannies unless it's Chad's and on the assumptions that those roles have actually become seperated.

>What did soldiers wear during 30 year war?
stolen bedsheets, curtains and the like mostly

>Not now!

I feel like I know that little monster behind the girl in this pic from somewhere. Anyone care to shed some light?

>ouran kingdom host club

Ain't shitting, I'd watch it

That's not what the word fact means, motherfucker.

It's the Princess from John Carter, and the monster is her pet

It's actually not a bad anime. It's not as geared towards girls as one would expect.

Alright, I completely forgot about having seen that movie until you just mentioned. Neat.

Hence the reference to "Barsoom fashion" from . Silk and jewelry and weapons, nothing more.

Protip: That wouldn't have made any more impact than banning /wst/ has.

OH NO, What half-naked muscular guy is doing on cover of romances for females, don't they know that SEX DOES NOT SELL TO WOMEN

No one is saying sex does not sell to women, it's just that sex and attraction work different for women(generally) than for men. An often in the case of women, raw sexual appeal isn't enough. There's a reason why that's a book and not just a magazine with sexy pictures in it.

This is actually pretty interesting, and I like the whole advertisement idea. Everyone always just assumes you look at a board and pick a quest, or you have some divine purpose, but real life is different. You have to submit resumes, participate in interviews, and have a portfolio. Being a bit on the dressy side doesn't hurt.

I'm actually going to be in a 5e campaign that starts up tomorrow, playing as a dwarf cleric, and this gives me some ideas about the extra sets of clothing I get from my background and gear kit. Granted, they're supposed to be sets of common clothes, I imagine it's about the same as saying a suit and tie are common business attire today. So I have my ceremonial vestments, some everyday type comfortable clothes, and then something a bit more flashy or perhaps business-like.

No it doesn't. Generally speaking, women will outright fuck anything they find super attractive. Just like men. And all people, regardless of gender, have different mindsets and will like and dislike what ever. They aren't all attracted to the same things.

What purpose would this have other than muh fetish?

>it's just that sex and attraction work different for women(generally) than for men

"I'm on Veeky Forums and I know all about women"

women like to read about sex while men visualize, that's true. They prefer romance to plots of most hentai, that's also true. But in the end it's all the same

If you can't be bothered to educate yourself by reading a few paragraphs, go away.

Well, for instance

I like it. Obviously it makes more sense for spellcasters who can casually use illusions or shapeshifting magic to make themselves more appealing, but it's almost more amusing if it's done purely by mundane means. Like a warrior lady who has a chainmail bikini just for riding around towns and making herself known, but dresses in a suit of full plate when actually doing stuff.

To reverse the common cliche, maybe some lady adventurers dress up as men to get jobs knowing that they would be seen with doubt by some people.

>The massive sex drive discrepancy between men and women, which is an established scientific fact.
>Fact
All of my experience points to the opposite. Once those wonderful teenage years are over most guys mellow out, whereas girls tend to hit a given level of sexual want/need and stay there. My wife for example, is just as lewd and eager as when we first hooked up at a totally legit and legal age.
If your girl isn't asking for and getting it at least once a day you're doing something really wrong in the relationship.

Or she doesn't have a sex drive at all. In which he should tell her to put out or get out. Not to be inconsiderate or anything. But, people have needs. Just saying.

>Women hold sexual power simply because they want it far less than men do.
Hey Kaiser Wilhelm, can you hear me all the way back there in the nineteenth century?

>Put out or get out
I disagree strongly with that sentiment in any relationship that is actually based on mutual feelings instead of socially condoned prostitution.
Dropping the whole sex thing for a second, couples make happy compromises for each other and come to mutual happiness. Picking sex back up, as long as everyone is happy there's no reason not to trade blowjobs for new shoes as long as everyone is having fun.

>Sex does not sell to women because ..... they can get it without even trying

Oh good God, please stop talking about shit you know nothing about.

The idea that "women can get laid super easily" is a meme. The truth is that socially awkward unattractive women have just as much trouble getting into sex and relationships as socially awkward unattractive men.

Another interesting aspect is the "threatening display" aspect of powerful, rich adventurers dressing up in silks, jewels, masks and such. You don't fuck around with a man dressed in loincloth, gold chains, makeup, and a fancy helm with the slavegirl next to him, because chances are he's a mass slayer of monsters and she's a sorceress taking it easy...or even worse, the reverse of that..

The whole 'Adventurers dressing up' thing makes a lot of sense in certain settings.

E.g. Shadowrun, in which projecting a certain image or blending into certain places is aided by wearing the right clothes.

If you're going to infiltrate a club, you get your doodz to wear clubbing outfits. From your face wearing a tiny minidress to your sam getting out a rough and tumble armored suit.

It's murderhobo-ing, exemplified with DnD that makes "dressing up" something noteworthy.

I'm stealing this thread for my Cheliax-based vigilantes campaign.

Again, I didn't say that to be inconsiderate. But, if you want to have sex more often than your partner, and you are the one getting the raw deal out of the relationship, then the relationship needs to end because it'll get real unhealthy real quick. I'm not saying there aren't factors to take in consideration. But, it's quite obvious that the two in the relationship are on two completely different pages. And "bribing" for sexual favors is the literal definition of prostitution. You're girl is a whore if she won't put out ilunless she gets something in return. Now, I'm saying that as a "that's the way that is" kind of ordeal. If you're doing it for fun and you both get satisfied regularly at no costs, then by all means do what you want to do. But, no one party should control how often the sex happens. It should always be to both party's liking. If not, then the relationship should definitely end. Because it's one sided.

>The truth is that socially awkward unattractive women have just as much trouble getting into sex and relationships as socially awkward unattractive men.
No, they do that unless they are borderline disfigured or malformed.

>women like to read about sex while men visualize, that's true.
That's mostly because women need a lot of surrounding factors to get aroused. A man needs to "prove" himself (and the easiest way is to have loadsa money) whereas a woman just needs to be hot.

Why do you think the male love interests in these porn novels tend to be businessmen, doctors, vikings, kings, knights and the like rather than say... a sexy plumber? Because to women, raw physical attraction is entirely secondary to a man's "usefulness".

So to connect this discussion back to the OP, no male adventurer will be able to pull off selling his services by parading around in a thong. Maybe if he beats up his client's husband first, or maybe if he starts maccing on her really hard before sealing the deal, but that's an entirely different story altogether.

You really don't understand the human psyche, huh?

This is only a stereotype and doesn't fit to most men or most women. In some occasions it's true. In most occasions it's not. Do t take what you see on tv as absolute truth.

>rather than say... a sexy plumber?
Plumbers make great money for guys without degrees, so could plausibly make one the male lead in a porn novel.

>socially awkward unattractive women

He's talking about women in general not the unattractive. An average looking woman has a much easier time finding sex than an average looking guy.

No they don't. People just have higher standards and are looking in the wrong place for something easy.

Which is exactly the original point, the woman wants to have sex with a man with wealth and status not because he's pretty.

>People just have higher standards and are looking in the wrong place for something easy
Wrong, women have much higher standards than men in humans and other primates too

>Plumbers make great money for guys without degrees
>for guys without degrees
See? You had to add a clause. They don't just make a lot of money period. Also, plumbing isn't very prestigious so they're bottom tier sexy even if they make more money than some guys with degrees.

>This is only a stereotype
Stereotypes exist for a reason, Quadman. They exist because they sell. Do you honestly think Fifty Shades would be even half as popular of Christian Grey was a French Canadian lumberjack?

Also wrong. This is all subjective and can only be on an individual basis. Majority of women aren't anything. Majority of men aren't anything.

Have you ever seen a cute girl with a fat or uggo guy before? And just wonder "how the fuck?" Or "he must have money". No, it's because no one thinks the same as the next person. We are all different and desire different things.

Actually, it probably would sell just as much. Lumberjacks are a masculine fantasy element for women just as is bondage.

This 100%. Kill yourself OP

>Really, walk down a book aisle sometime.

A man looks at a picture of a woman and decides he wants to have sex based solely at that. A woman needs 150+ pages of story before she decides she wants to have sex.

>implying blog.okcupid.com/index.php/your-looks-and-online-dating/
even though it's not solid data, it shows how those who look for partner see other sex

Spoken by a true virgin.

Women that sling their pussy at a hot guy just because they want to fuck said hot guy. People are people regardless of gender.

>This is all subjective
I hate this wishy-washy "you are all wrong and right at the same time!" shit so much. This is what the Patriots wanted to prevent. And it makes for really boring arguments.

There are trends, there is some common behavior, stereotypes developed for a reason. Of course you will find outliners. But you can't make a good discussion if you have to count them all in.

And why does she pick up the book in the first place?

So, you're agreeing with me? It's kind of hard to tell.

no, I'm saying that on pure base look of partner female see 80% of men as below average and thus below their "worth", while men see only 50%

>because they want to fuck said hot guy
Because he has a cool car, shows a lot of wealth and her friends tell her that he has already fucked them, so he must be good for something. He is also really good at talking himself into her pants. The build-up for this fuck is rather fast, but younger girls enjoy this quicker pacing more than the settled 40y housewife with her books.

>People are people regardless of gender.
What the fuck does this even mean?

Speaking as an XX chrmonosome bearing woman, you're full of shit. You don't know the first thing about women, and should really stop reading women's magazines in an attempt to understand women, because that's really what you sound like.

The thing is, stereotypes are just a popular assumption and for amusement only. Stereotypes aren't the norm. They aren't the majority what so ever. Majority of people won't fit into a given box than will. If it's hard to grasp, then let me simplify it a little.

You categorize people by tread. You'll have so many categories that it will be hard to find a majority. And stereotypes won't be visible amongst them. Thus, majority of people won't fall in the same category. And that will always be he case.

Actually I see attractive women with less attractive men all the time and that fits perfectly with the theory that women are more attracted to wealth and status than they are to physical traits.

>What the fuck does this even mean?
It means that tumblr is here and they want you to pretend that gender differences don't exist

Considering that dating sites are more or less "who are you willing to fuck based on looks and maybe minor shared interests", they are pretty similar between men and women. Almost scarily similar.