FANTASY RACES

Okay Veeky Forums, in all manner of settings you've encountered and know what are the fantasy races YOU, YOU as a person most identify with.
You look at them and think "Hey, if I were there, I'd probably be one of those too, i'm all about THAT."

Maybe it's culture, maybe it's appearance, or just general comfort.

What fantasy race would YOU be?
Funmodo: What ones would you try and affiliate yourself with the least, and which would you not be, but happily be allied with.
RACISM WELCOME.

Dwarves are overrated and unreliable.

Let me guess, they fought in armour, but forgot their helmets.

Nah its just a comic that has fun with tropes

Fighting in armor but getting faces cut up is having fun with tropes

"Knife-ears, short stuffs and muzzle mouths think they're people, classic non-humans"

Humans.

No, really. I never, ever find any appeal in other races. They are usually Humans+, where the plus stands for some tertiary difference in body shape and their entire culture is some stereotyped version of existing culture. Nothing of interests.

I DO dig dryads, the more inhuman they are, the better, but that still doesn't mean I identify with them. They are simply one of few interesting things that ever happend in tabletop RPG.

And back to the humans. It's not just "humans in general". That's bullshit on the same levels as other races. I mean humans representing some culture on a local scale. There is nothing more irritating than entire fucking race or species having the same, uniform culture between themselves.

>Being able to afford armour
OOOO, LOOK AT ME, I WENT TO FIGHTING SCHOOL, MUMMY SENT ME TO MAGE COLLEGE, I'M SO RAMPY PAMPY.

Noble go 2 hell.

Wimmenz? Which system?

>He doesn't even have any animal legs

Feels good being better in every single way.

Always human. Because other species are for weirdos.

Beastfolk are pretty neato

I like the concept of putting character from group X in culture Y, so they grow up in society, culture and climate completely alien to their "normal" one. And by growing up, I mean being culturally a full member of culture Y, with zero ties to their basic one. Creates a lot of interesting interactions and role-playing situations

Can be pulled with pretty much any race, so I'm not picky

>Have 6 ft 7 friend
>He can't help but feel pity and understanding with Giants and Ogres.

Until you put your hoof down a rabbit hole and have to be taken to the glue factory.

Horse legs don't heal so good.

>have to be taken to the glue factory
You know, I'm stealing this one

Nah shitty glass-boned racing horses bred to be as light as possible don't heal so good. Wild and working horses are pretty sturdy

I've sometimes though about it, partly because I know two girls who are pretty much like and elf and a dwarf without the ears/beard, both appearance- and personality-vise, so I've wondered what fantasy race I'd resemble. But I've got nothing.
I sometimes joke that I'm a vampire since I'm naturally pale and have very pointy canines, but if anything I'd probably be closer to a tiefling or something.

Elan.

Immortal, nearly impossible to kill, self-sustaining?

Adventure forever?

Yes please.

... they still need to be put down roughtly in 75% cases after breaking their leg, so... yeah, to the glue vat you go.

A wild horse is pretty much dead the moment he hurts his legs
A working horse is useless after breaking his legs
The first ends up as easy prey, the second - as salami.

this might sound like maximum over angst but tieflings.

Literally why?

>Humanity, fuck yeah
>i would proceed to assert my dominance as a human and cross breed with all the women.
>it is my right as the alpha species to do so

>thin
>good runner
>did some archery
>can be pretty arrogant at times
>not bad looking
Yeah, I'm an elf.

>crappy horse legs
>not superior raptoran legs
Its like you don't even want to have a kill claw or be able to use a proper lock grip

okay, so i come from a pretty shitty family, absolutely no morals, my mum would tell me to lie cheat and steal to get what i want, but now that im a part of the real world i know that shit is unacceptable and im trying to better myself, like my angsty race i have to deal with trying not to be an asshole despite all my learned behaviour telling me that being an asshole works.

>There is nothing more irritating than entire fucking races or species having the same uniform culture between themselves

This so much. To me, this is nothing but the author being too lazy to think outside the box or be creative. There's thousands of different cultures on our planet alone, but it's always:

"Oh, here's a sapient space-faring species tens of billions strong, and their whole culture revolves around war. No doctors, artists, firemen, nothing except soldiers. And their leaders are chosen by how many people they've killed XDDD!

Fuck off with all that noise

That was actually kind of touching, user.

do you like playing them too?

Good to hear you're trying, user. Tieflings are a red flag here and I think you understand why, but you're alright.

>anons unironically say humans
Do you lack reading comprehension?

I don't know. I like aspects of them for my characters, but as for myself?
Maybe a Tolkienesque Hobbit, i guess. Eating all day and living in rolling green hills sounds pretty sweet as far as fantasy races go.

>There is nothing more irritating than entire fucking race or species having the same, uniform culture between themselves.
This. This is why while I'm making my own homebrew setting each race, humans inculded, are going to have 2-4 different major cultures and subspecies denominations, and also sub cultures within those cultures

>Wants to get diversity
>That means 4 options instead 1
user. don't want this to sound rude (seriously, I don't), but unless you literally spent your life on ripping entire fucking world, the real one, from specific time period, you will NEVER reach true diversity of your setting

Well, unless doing the following:
The setting is just a small-scale part of the world. Everything happens there, so you don't have this entire planet painted with few continent-spanning empires to fill the map, but instead entire game takes place in something of size of modern Belgium.
So having just a bunch of options still makes it extremely diverse given the size, but without spending years on expanding the setting to actually give options, subspecies and suboptions.

I always liked ogres and half ogres.
Probably because I'm ugly and grumpy. Also, Magical Realm-reasons.

The least? Kender (obviously. No one likes them). Or Silly For The Lulz Inventor Gnomes.

Wasn't there a German RPG where entire action happens in late medieval Germany, with differences between regions, kingdoms, baronies and free cities replacing the standard planet with empires over it? So the game was in theory about single group of people in single country (well, proto-country), but still had a massive difference between all the groups involved.
It simply kept things small instead of going for entire globe.

Also, games that have strict splats for races/species are mostly responsible for this bullshit, because everything is streamlined to fit into the splat.

i try and avoid the whole "good tiefling fighting his inner demons thing" since i feel its overused. i did once play an assimar who was secretly evil just to spite my play group.

>from specific time period,
Yup, its based off of Antiquity.

>The setting is just a small-scale part of the world.
Not exactly, but I'm taking a piecemeal approach. due to the world being so young and most people having not traveled around much, the most any one game will have is usually 1 macro race, maybe two if your on a border.

For example, say your playing your game in the Iskanthri Imperium (notMacedonia). Within the Iskanthri you'll meet people of varrying culture within the different fiefs within the Iskanthri, as well as their interactions with the different Fae Courts, and if you're on the Northwest border you might encounter different tribes of the disparate Shayeshel (Notpre-Qin Dynasty Mountain Tribes with a bit of Scythian mixed in) and their various intertribal wars and conflicting traditions.

And aside from this Fae, this is all just humans. I haven't even mentioned the other races on the other far-off parts of the continent, or on the other continents. Plus your average Joe the Farmer human will probably have never even heard of the other races, as not even most scholars know much of them save for the scattered expedition notes from travelers that are viewed incredible skeptically.

I want each race to have a specific geographic range that allows for each nation in the setting to feel like its own organic universe, while also allowing for potential for cultural exchange and interaction at realistic borders.

Granted, this whole homebrew project will most likely take me several years to finish, but I don't mind. I'm in no rush.

Okay, so I really, really love Beastmen/Beastfolk. Fuck, I love Khajiits despite more or less feeling very bored by the Elder Scrolls setting. I love Beastmen of Chaos and the only thing that irks me is that they're this evil mook-race despite having the potential to be badass woodland marauders who love to kick everyone's arse but aren't above allying with local groups to make survival innadeepwoods easier and kick some common threat's arse.

Mankind has imagined the possibilities of human/animal hybrid creatures in its mythology since the fucking stoneage. Before we worshipped human gods, we worshipped animalspirits (and fat asses).

So I associate with Beastfolk, primarily the canine or felinoid types, and I am always immediately hooked when I see an actually creative blend of both human and animal features.

Whenever Beastmen aren't available, I go for the secondbest race that involves some sort of feral, bestial aspects, so I usually end up with trolls or orcs.

Are you talking about the Dark Eye/Das Schwarze Auge?

I want to be one of those gnarly-voiced Orc minions who show up in service to the Dark Lord du jour. Forget the threatened nobility of Men, or the fallen grace of Elves; I want to be an evil motherfucker, working for an even more evil motherfucker.

Give me some slaves to bark orders at and whip into line, and I'll be happy. Or make me the snivelling lapdog who answers to the Dark Lord directly. Sure, he'll eventually kill me in a fit of rage, but he'll regret it later when he realises how hard it is to find good lickspittles.

I want to be the guy cranking the levers on the torture rack, who clearly enjoys his job way too much. I want to be the guy who announces to the Dark Lord that his new, monstrous super-soldiers are ready, after they just woke up and ate all my underlings.

I want to be an Evil middle-manager.

You're kind of missing the narrative point of multiple races.

I ran a game of 5E set in a Pirates of the Caribbean setting using history as my basis. The races were stereotyped but mixed.

I made it to where the Dragonborn were a race only found in the Caribbean Isles and South America. I connected with that race as a whole because each Dragonborn tribe of which there were hundreds identified itself by the color of their scales and their latent abilities. For some god awful reason, I became really attached to this one tribe, the Lakos. They were a blue scaled Dragonborn tribe that favored aquatic combat and were almost like merfolk. I gave them Jamaican accents and everything, and had so much fun developing their culture and way of life that I even asked my players if, when prompted to go enslave some Dragonborn tribes by a slave trader, they wouldn't mind NOT enslaving the Lakos specifically because I as the DM was having so much fun developing their culture. The players were really nice about it and agreed, saying they could tell I had a lot of fun with those guys. That game ended eventually but we still talk about the Lakos.

now this, this is the dream.

Rat Queens sucks.

>Implying centaurs and wild horses are the same

I understand that, however I desperately wanted to be able to do a setting where races aren't a monoculture, nor would they be just humans with rubber foreheads or fursuits.

Then the ecologist in me had an autism fit, and I had to suddenly make actually sensible reasons as to why multiple races with similar niches exist, and it kinda snowballs from there

i completely understand, for a homebrew world i created a 'nordic' race of golden compass style bear people, i spent hours researching and discussing norse culture and religion as well a bear physiology and shit. im still known as that weirdo who really likes bears.

>Being this tier retarded
Horse legs heals awfully. As in - not at all. If they get broken, you can pretty much put out the horse out of misery
And guess what centaurs are waist down and what legs do they have

>Or make me the snivelling lapdog who answers to the Dark Lord directly

Or the Dark Lady...

Mathew B. B.?

no im

what would I be?
I want to be a Rilmani.
am I just an ooze?

tiefling or drow, probably something undead. i like gnolls as well.

Whichever. My death at my master's hands is assured either way.

Even if we pretend that it's wild horses who can't heal broken bones and not race horses, a centaur still has a human brain. A centaur that can't run is just going to become a farmer or some other shit

Crab people a best race.

I can't see myself as teifling, drow or undead.
I like gnoll slave mongrelfolk more than gnolls by themselves.

You don't get it, do you, dumb fuck?
Horse with lame leg can't fucking MOVE.

you must embrace your darker qualities.

>I know jack shit about horses: The Post
And maybe after loosing a leg a centaur would just use peg-leg instead of it, right? Becuase he has human brain, right?

There is absolutely nothing more annoying in the entire hobby than people who know nothing about given subject, but still try to figure things out by their own wits, usually coming out to retarded conclusions. Just to list few such brilliant ideas:
- plate armour being heavy and constricting
- chainmail being lightweight and allowing great flexibility
- shield being generally useless
- dual wielding weapons being effective
- bows being useful for anything else than volley shooting
- crossbows taking ages to reload
And so on and forth. Fucking educate yourself, instead of sprouting bullshit you have no idea about.

>Spiteful
>Lazy
>Bow to peer pressure
>Anger issues
>Like to laugh
>Only real pleasures in life are eating and sexual deviancy

Gnolls are my spirit animal, albeit I'd probably be one of the ones lower on the hierarchy given that I'm skinnyfat and probably wouldn't do great in a one-on-one fight.

actually i do love florans

francis?

Forgot my picture. Not that any of you wouldn't know what a gnoll looks like, but still.

Nope, but it sounds like you're in good company..

I'd be most likely a hobbit. Though my fixation on computers and overly curious personality would not translate well to a hobbit, so maybe a gnome of some sort

But hobbit would be best, comfy as fuck

Thinking it further I'm too antisocial for either so i don't know what the fuck I'd be

I'm not a big fan of elves in general. I find myself enjoying beast-type races pretty cool, though. Their usual impulsiveness is usually pretty great.

>YOU as a person most identify with.
I don't know, probably some crazy autist spawn of a dwarf and an elf.

>love nature and enjoy studying it
>dislike people
>stubborn and anti social
>dislike parties and drinking
>firmly traditionalist and with old fashioned values
>often completely ignore societal mores that make no sense to me
>have a rigid morality system where I always accept blame for everything as well as punishment for it
>will always beat myself up over everything, especially when I don't meet my own expectations
>I never place other people by those same standards, unless it interferes with them in a professional capacity
>respect's other people's free will, but constantly need structure and restriction for myself to feel comfortable
>Am constantly obsessed with following the ideal of a "True and honorable man"
>Yet I also hate fake self indulgent reddit "white knights"

So what race would be closest to this level of literal self-loathing autism?

I think that must be some sort of pathology rather than an actual personality because you sound exactly like me

This.

thought I'd be lying if I wouldn't jump on an anthromorphic hare race after a childhood full of pic related

>evil
>middle mgmt
kinda redundant user.

oh shit if that's gnoll living then I guess I'm on the bandwagon.

Evil, with a capital-E.

Last I checked, accountants don't torture people for the location of the One Ring.

I mean, it comes at the expense of being utterly obsequious to anyone stronger than you. But you get to take out that frustration on the non-gnolls you murder and pillage from so I guess it balances out.

You don't even know where I work user.
please help

It's literal aspergers. I was diagnosed in the 5th grade. I have no delusions that my mind is built in a near defective manner as compared to most people.

Still, that doesn't mean I should give up on trying to at least act like a normal functioning member of society. Plus pursuing a degree in Wildlife Biology, as well as doing clerical secretary work at my church, is an excellent way for me to channel my defectiveness in a way that not only helps society, but fulfills my intellectual, aesthetic, and ethical desires.

Still, taking even that into account, I wonder what race I could possibly be most like, especially since I kinda dislike both Dwarves and Elves for their own reasons.
Has there ever been any setting where those two races can interbreed?

Oh snap, are there any positions going? Can you give me a reference?

>that my mind is
*isn't. that what I get for posting while with a head-cold

>Slow to anger, but I get really mad if something gets to me
>Calm in most circumstances
>Hard to bother
>Decent people skills
>5'5 manlet

What the fuck am I, Veeky Forums?

A hobbit

>There is absolutely nothing more annoying in the entire hobby than people who get obscenely butthurt that others don't have absurd levels of ephemeral knowledge of every aspect of existence to run hyper-realistic ARMA games with dice

Fixed it for you

I don't know why I didn't think of that.

>Ignorance is good
Different user, but fuck off

Halflings
It's no coincidence that I always play a halfling with a hardcore Napoleon complex.

I would need you to give me definitions of each race.

Slim, athletic, beautiful and selfish. I'd be a Drow.

I fucking love genasi and other elemental-ish humanoids. Water genasi are my favourites, but there's bugger-all good art for them.

>There is absolutely nothing more annoying in the entire hobby than people who get defensive about their lack of knowledge and instead admitting it, they start insulting the other side for not being equally uneducted and ignorant
Here, FTFY

>that feel when you're a moderately short guy who's thus far relied on cunning and democracy in making his way, never aiming for anything high in life, just happy to have made it this far.

I like Goblins, Nagas and Ratfolk.
And I ain't ashamed of that.
Gob pride, worldwide.

Fuck yeah, goblins.

Halfling, because everyone says I look like Frodo and I'm lazy as fuck.

I always saw myself as more of an oread, though ;3;

I can't get enough of bird races

I wouldn't say I identify with them or anything, but by god can I not get enough of the feathery bastards
Absolute favorite non-standard fantasy race

Just go by the general perception of people based on commonly applied characteristics of races in modern fantasy.

If you really want to tell me you've never heard about dwarves being generally characterised as such and such or orcs being said to have those and these traits then you need to lurk moar, not only on this board but on all boards.

There are more races than dwarves and orcs though.

Forgotten Realms does have AD&D-edition lore by... Greenwood, I think? That says elves and dwarves can interbreed, though it's incredibly rare. But then, this edition also claims that dwarf women are rarer than dwarf men, so most of them instead marry human/halfling/gnome women with the results being dwarf children, so I don't know.