EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

Back to basics edition. Post your favorite basic land.

Previous
RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/08-06-16-wall-tribal/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/08-06-16-hFP-mimeoplasm/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/12-06-16-eldrazi-tribal/?cat=price
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I dig the Coldsnap theme deck lands. Ice Age are my favorite lands, but most cards I play have the new borders, so these fit my decks the best.

Except for swamps, in which Mirage is my favorite. I sold all my old cards before getting back in, though, so I don't have any and haven't picked up a new set.

What's the best commander to go full basic with?

Defensive, with pic related.

Any black commander benefits from all swamps, but you can force that with Urborg Tomb of Yawgmoth, which is the secondary tutor target after Coffers. With Tomb, you can even benefit with a gold commander.

This guy.

why wont they let planeswalkers act like commanders ?

are you fucking shitting me do you want people to turbo into karn? or mind sculpt your ass?

so just add most OP things into banlist,duh

stupid idea wizards didn't make their own planeswalker commanders op because they knew it could wreck the game and we shouldn't have to ban things just because you want this as a thing. if your play group allows it fair enough us a planeswalker as a commander while me on the other hand i don't want stupid loops and dumb combos happening over and over again because you can pay 2 mana more to cast a planeswalker and would rather you jump through hoops to get it back.

also you would need damage or permanent removal to destroy it in the first place which a bit harder to get rid of than a creature commander

Ashling is a girl.

Is Mazirek a good commander?
What I mean is can you build him to blow people out fast?

>wizards didn't make their planeswalker commanders op

That's somewhat pushing it. The precons themselves aren't anything special, but Daretti can get off some mean combos quick, solid elf has mana ramp and card draw, and teferi is well teferi. Ob and Nahiri were shit imo.

Guys I'm addicted to Voltron someone help me

Tajuru Preserver

> want to make odric 2.0
> realize my equipment and targeted enchant suck nuts and I don't have many keyword whites
Few indestructible, haste, first strike and vigilance but no hex proof or double strike. Honestly better off using bruna or that old legend wub power toughness equal lands so I can get death touch out of b and make odric part of the 99.

Old odric seems much better than new

Old Odric is a lot better. New Odric is just Concerted Effort on a stick with some different keywords

>No double strike

Molimo or red Ashling.

Im so pumped for the 4 color commanders. I know that whatever it is ill play the ones with no white and no red.

>tfw barely play anymore because my playgroup sucked all the fun out of MTG for me

Wish I could just play with some of you guys desu.

howd they suck the fun out?

>play ajani vengent
>somebody is just gunna have to deal with being a land down as early as turn 2
I agree with the previous user, all planeswalkers should be commanders, it hekps out monocolored decks :^)

>playing the green 4 color commanders
automatic cancer.

Thanks senpai :) its my favorite color

>0 threat assessment, choosing instead to go after who hurts their feelings
>Cross game grudges
>EXCESSIVE politics
>Bitching and hostility
>Complaining about cards or strategies rather than trying to figure out how to beat them
>Forced to build increasingly powerful decks to counter said politics which only leads to more bitching

Thats about the long/short of it.

> people start playing like this
> bust out black blue and start controlling everyone's game because fuck you
Black blue fuck you is something I reserve for exactly that situation

Hardened scales makes my dick hard figuratively and literally.

I'm sorry user, I just went through that. Now I have a group of four who just started edh and the meta is pretty casual. Kind of fun to see the jank.

Two of my 4 decks at this point are fuck you decks. But it isnt remotely fun to lock down the board and not let anyone do anything, or combo off for an easy win.

Well in case i get accused of blogging, care to share your black blue list?

What's up guys, need some ideas. I want to make a temur edh deck that uses tap/untap shenanigans, hopefully with some powerful effects (prodigal sorcerer + charisma, for example).

I've also thought about using the tap/untap to get advantage of proliferate and ramp (arbor elf + utopia sprawl + pemmin's aura).

I don't know why but this one is my favorite land ever. I have like 40 of them.

I also love this Forest. Planning to buy a print of it. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find any prints for the Island.

What a great illustration

>Had a dream last night where an old friend of mine gave me his box of MTG cards
>Some of the best cards include Marchesa, a foil Emrakul, Damnation, and Brago

My nigga

Comfy lands up in this

I would rather play with laidback people instead of the tryhards I play with who have '$1500+ decks that are all totally legit guys I even put them in double sleeves to prove it.' On an unrelated note its interesting how Jin-Gitaxias makes you such a big ass target.

Also love most of the Mirage and 5th Edition Mountains.

>retard in my pod makes a meme reference at the table
>untap and kill him
>"Dude why'd you do that?"

Play non interactive decks that punish them for playing magic, its what I do at my playgroup. It helps if you can convert a normal deck you have to becoming a noninteractive deck so they wont know until its happening

Anyone ever made a player quit EDH? We used to have a fairly obnoxious regular. Used to shit talk the random girls who would show up, referred to other players as "Yugi-boy," and constantly praised his own decks because he was a self-proclaimed "Johnny-Spike."

Literally all I did was sandbag a Mind Over Matter in my hand when I had the Temple Bell out for a while, because I didn't feel like offing everyone early. Then I finally dropped it in the late game and cleaned things up, and when he found out I had it for a long time without playing it, he flipped his shit.

>THIS WHOLE GAME WAS A FARCE
>YOU JUST WASTED THE TIME OF EVERYONE HERE
>YOU JUST WANTED TO BUY SOME FRIENDS FOR THIRTY MINUTES INSTEAD OF ENDING THE GAME
He literally never came to play a game of EDH after that. Comes for wargames and just ignores the card game crowd now.

Probably my proudest moment as an EDH player.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/08-06-16-wall-tribal/

Ok, added in some graveyard hate, thinking of adding a bit more, along with a few counters/removal

Example? "Non interactive deck that punishes people for playing magic" is a bit vague.

If you mean control, i've tried that. I built Nekusar for that reason. A deck that deals damage to everyone equally, while sitting back and dealing with whoever the biggest threat is at the time. Being fair didnt help.

Thats the deck I'm talking about, throw in infect

So, I am thinking of doing a Karametra deck with a bit of a theme, looking for fun but powerful ideas:

>"Karametra's Agricultural Co-Op/Commune
/Plantation/Cult"
>Humans working the land and spawning more humans (tokens)
>Angelic Overseers
>Breeding livestock (Rampaging Baloths, Craterhoof)
>The crops (Lands and plants)
>Seedtime, Crop Rotation, Cream of the Crop
>????
>Profit

You're a dirty bastard user.

I have grafted exoskeleton and phyresis for particularly cancerous games

One guy, who plays cheesy gimmicky decks, made a Braids conjuror's adept deck and played braids on turn two hoping to drop the Ulamog he had in hand. I, with my mazirek deck, dropped a butcher of malakir for free and played and sacrificed a sakura tribe elder to kill it and deny him the benefit thinking he would drop some big dumb creature. He yells at me for not letting other people have fun, shows me the Ulamog and scoops

What's the best color combo for Eldrazi Tribal? I want to use tribal cards like obelisk of urd and coat of arms with Eldrazi scions/spawns. B and G already sounds essential for this game plan with stuff like Catacomb Sifter, Sifter of skulls, from beyond, all that.
Are there any third colors worth considering? Blue has a bunch of cute shit to play with like sire of stagnation, but I'd prefer to keep it 2 color.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/08-06-16-hFP-mimeoplasm/

Made some changes after getting some recommendations from some of you here, what looks and bad?

glistening oil is the best. combo it with flash and demonic petition, you will have no board state to them losing.

I went BUG with Tasigur in an attempt to reuse the various on-cast abilities the Eldrazi had. It wasn't full tribal though, I had a lot of morph too. His ability being hybrid also means you can stick with two colours if you want to with no drawback.

My friend runs a pretty strong jund eldrazi deck, nothing helps eldrazi than being able to play two kozileks on a single turn.

I can't figure out what commander to choose!

Karlov if you like triggers.

Go with karlov my dude

I was told that if i play casually (which i do) people will generally just attack the one with the highest life total.

Then funnel all of your lifegain into Necropotence :^)

If you're a life gain deck, who cares? And in my experience in EDH people do try to be "fair" with who they attack. Again, life gain deck doesn't care that much unless you're getting hit with commander damage or infect.

Good players optimally target whoever, bad players go for grudges and petty shit. It has nothing to do with casual or not

>tfw using that white enchantment that gives you a life for each attacking creature against a tokens deck and gaining 150+ life and then casting one of my many fog effects
Never seen someone get so fucking mad.

Obzedat

If I was running karlov with this would each attacking creature cause his counter effect or would it only count as one life gain instance? I can't recall the name of the enchantment that heals you for each attacking creature.

>not building Ghost Council and going pure Jewish politics
I give each of my opponents a shekel at the start of the game, and they can spend it to call in a favor. I usually accept, but in the end, they all get backstabbed by merchant ally.

Every individual trigger is an instance of lifegain. If a trigger says gain 50 life you only get one counter, if you get 50 triggers that give you one life you get 50 counters.

This is the enchantment you're probably looking for, and yes, it triggers per creature attacking.

Good god that's spicy as fuck. I need to pick up karlov that just sounds fucking mean.
> have odric 2.0
> give all creatures life gain and shroud + the defenses of aforementioned combo.
Get half a chub just thinking about it

Is gtiselbrand banned only as commander or entirely from edh?

Entirely. There is no more banned as commander list.

Entirely. Being able to get seven cards for 7 health in a mode where you have 40 was too powerful.

He doesnt give out shroud, only hexproof.

Sorry, got my vernacular confused

Its all good, magic is a game with a million mechanics. They all start to blur together.

Thought experiment: Are cascading bans a real issue? How much longer would the ban list be if you banned every card that would have the exact same argument against them as cards on the banlist?

Let's look at all the cards that are banned for being one-card-wins.
Emrakul, Painter's Servant, Protean Hulk, Coalition Victory, Biorhythm, Griselbrand.

How many more cards like this are there? I would argue there are very few. Just Iona and Tooth and Nail. Are there any other cads that very clearly by themselves "destroy target player," the turn they are played?

That's my casual group right now. Especially the 0 threat assessment and cross-game grudges. I beat one friend 2-0 in a sealed tournament because he got shit draws and he still hasn't let that go. It's been two weeks goddam.

okay Veeky Forums, I'm broke af right now, but I'm gonna ask what precon commander decks are actually good to buy and which are good starting points. really though, I'm interested in the 2015 WB deck, and the one with Oloro (though people seem to hate Oloro; it doesn't imply whether or not the deck itself is good). those have colors I'm interested in playing, but Eternal Bargain is currently marked at $55 so if there are cards in there that I really just don't need it might be better to just buy parts of that deck instead.

I guess my two major issues are 1) I don't have a whole lot in the way of dual lands, and precon decks can help alleviate that. 2) what the hell are staple cards in this format? I've read about what kinds of card are basically useless, but not cards that are always useful. Ashnod's Altar is apparently a popular choice (which thankfully I have a good number of copies) and o-ring is an obvious one, but what about Terror? I have an Armageddon, but will my group murder me when I play it?

Post your intentionally worst decks here's mine:
x98 Mountains
x1 Valakut
With Ashling Pilgrim as the commander.

griselbees is only op in the commander slot, just the rules committee is staffed by retards who think two lists are confusing. Even though the fact a list exists means you have to seek it out and look at it which means you can post both lists on the same page.

x99 Mountains
Commander: Ib Halfheart, Goblin Tactician

Just buy oloro if you want him, fuck the haters. Commander is the place where you should be allowed to have fun with cards you like, as long as you do so responsibly.

Read mtg commander dot com, especially the philosophy section. Cards usually become a problem if a player wants to violate the social nature of the format, but otherwise you are allowed to play nicely with your toys.

Forget about staples for the most part. It's not the end of the world if you play dark banishing instead of terror. Many of the really expensive cards in commander are replaceable.

Go to EDHrec dot com for an easy database of cards often used with certain commanders. Don't get your panties in a bunch if you can't afford ridiculous cards like Sheoldred the whispering one. You can easily have just as much fun with $00.50 cards

Use the precons for a template of what a low-power deck looks like, and use some of the online decklists as templates of a more powered list. Don't bother trying to aim for the high end of the power level for your first decks.

Once you have 99 pieces in your hands, find a local group and play. If your creation brings everybody fun, you are done building until you want more cards. If you get stomped, try to either revamp your deck based on the local metagame, or try talking to people. There is a small chance you will run into a dedicated spike group or something and get combo-killed on turn 5. Your options then are to either join their arms race of power to the best of your knowledge and budget, or to find other players.

okay this is literally the best thing i have ever seen people write about this format holy shit

>Iona
>one card win
If Iona kills every player at the table, you've got a very bad group

I agree with 99% of this post, however as a member of a pretty spikey group I think your advice is a bit limited. Rather than enter the arms race, or leaving, I posit that there's a third option: learn to subvert the arms race. One member in our group runs efficient budget decks that are meta-haters. His priciest deck is $75 and it can pull out wins rather successfully.

It's less a one-card-win, and more a one-card-kill.

Gonna build some UG this summer. Should I do Edric weenies, or Kruphix Hydra tribal?

You kinda helped me realize what direction I wanted to take the deck in. Here's what' I've put together so far.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/12-06-16-eldrazi-tribal/?cat=price

oops I meant to reply to

>Duplicant, Karn, O-Stone, All Is Dust, other players interfering
I don't think so

Kruphix Fatties is the best. You just rev up into a shitload of mana and do whatever you want.

Nissa - Commander
Lost in the Woods
Constant Mists
97 Forest

I'd kill for a foil constant mists print so i could foil the whole deck

Yeah
I run Iona as a commander. My playgroup just added stuff to beat her. She's still great, but people can hate her away if she's a consistent threat. She's better in the 99 for my AylI or Anafenza decks, though.

thanks, that's actually pretty encouraging. I know this format's a little more casual than others, I just don't want to rush in with a deck that's completely ineffective. but I guess buying a commander deck or two as a foundation isn't as terrible as I thought it might be. I guess I'll read through all those websites, then try and scope out a group in my area.

the thing is, I first got into Magic during Masques block when I was young and had no friends who played. still, I bought a bunch of old cards here and there at swap meets so the majority of my cards I own are between the Dark and Visions. so I have a bunch of powerful commons and uncommons that are no longer in print, and even a few good rares. that "few good rares" part is what makes commander attractive to me. having only one Vesuvan Doppelganger is a bit of a drag in legacy, but in commander that one copy is all I need.

so the real issue is I don't have a whole lot of modern-era cards (which are a lot more enemy color friendly), and the ones I do have aren't that great. that and despite how many cards I own, I'm in want of legendary creatures. maybe someday I'll post that list and ask for advice, but despite how many cards I own it's not a very long list :I

If I play this guy with new ezuri out, does he trigger the experience counter or is he technically entering as a 4/4?

entering as a 4/4

This, my gitrog is jank and budget as fuck but he's a blast to play and everyone at the table seems to enjoy watching how he's gonna play out.

God I love edh

No trigger.
It's why I would think twice before using Master Biomancer as well.

>oblivion ring
>journey to nowhere
>banishing light

Unban emrakul please.

Are you retarded? Emrakul isn't banned because of her board presence, she's banned because she's a fucking colorless time warp that lets you untap and raze six permanents.

has answers. not a problem. unban emrakul.