/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General - Martial Extinction Edition

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Old thread:
Why do people who argue caster supremacy not realize that every class casts spells now? There is no war left to fight, there are no martials left.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/DnDBehindTheScreen/comments/4427ma/yugoloth/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

So I want to try running a game focused on exploration and survival. Have a big map for the players to explore, chart out, and encounter enemies.

How feasible is this to do in 5e?

Just because there are caster archetypes doesn't mean everyone is picking one, or even that they're the best pick

Super Easy. Hordes of the Underdark is basically this.

I was in a group that tried that. It was alright, but the exploration side of things was by far the least interesting part, because there's not much to tie one tile/hex/whatever to the next beyond the geography. If you are going to do it, you should try to give the place a sense of continuity. Say in one hex there's a village of Kobolds, the next tile over there should be a tribe of goblins that they've been at war with for generations. A few tiles further there's a wizard in his tower who is studying the conflict and gets pissed at the party for interfering in his 'native study'.

The thing about D&D is that it's all about building stories, but you can't make a story interesting if you can pick it up and leave it at any time. Personally, I wouldn't go for a set map in this regard. I'd have a bunch of ideas tied to loose areas, which gives the players the illusion of exploring the map.

>Caster Supremacy doesn't exist because everyone Casts

Play a ranger man. Weakest of the Half n Half classes.

5e isn't as horribly LFQW as 3e and Pathfinder, but it's still there.

Extremely easy. I think there are rules for hexploration that were taken out of the final DMG but can still be found here

This. It's still there but they did tone it down a bit and buff up (most) of the classes that are pure casters to do really interesting things (barbarians can, if built for it, fly while raging; fighters get combat stances and extra dice to throw around; Monks can become fairly decent assassins; etc.) But yeah, Rangers suck donkey balls in the way they are built right now.

If they aren't the "best" pick then caster supremacists are wrong.

If you aren't picking an option in your class to perform optimally its hardly the games fault. A wizard that only chooses direct damage spells with no utility at all doesn't make wizard weak, anymore than someone playing a charisma focused champion fighter makes fighters weak.

If you choose the worst example of one class and poorly optimize it its hardly being honest in an argument about which classes are overpowered or not.

I'm just saying that saying "all classes are casters now" isn't true
I don't really give a shit if caster supremacy is real because I'm not playing for points or to be the best and neither is the rest of my group
The balance is tight enough that nobody feels totally useless unlike 3.5e and that's all I care about

The play test has good hex crawl rules.

However, I strongly recommend a sandbox like Curse of Strahd for a hex crawl (bounded are of map you explore all over) or Out of the Abyss for the "signpost" style sandbox. They're great examples of either style of adventure.

What not to do is Pathfinder's Kingmaker style hex crawl which is popular for some unknown reason.

This. Even if Wizards and Bards are the most optimal classes, they aren't demigods that can solve all problems while the fighter and monk sit around uselessly. You can have all 4 in a group contributing.

BM ranger is weaker, but its not by virtue of being a caster. Ranger spells are actually alright and give them plenty of opportunity to interact with the game in non-linear ways (goodberry, speak with animals/plants, silence, water breathing, wind wall, etc.)

Along with damaging spells like hex or swift quiver, casting is what makes rangers strong.

I can't say that because an Undead focused ranger in Curse of Strahd, Fiend focused ranger in Out of the Abyss, Dragon focus ranger in Tyranny of Dragons, etc. are a font of metagame information other classes don't have access too and there is a lot of traveling on foot.

I would never feel useless in any of those adventures.

Sounds like its worth a look.

Yeah. Ideally I'd want a bit more focus on wilderness adventures, but I think having those sorts of villages and landmarks is important for quest hooks. I'll be sure to keep that in mind.

Thanks! I'll take a look over this.

What's the difference between the first two and kingmaker?

When you explore the map in Curse of Strahd there are areas of interest with hooks connecting them for the DM to pull, the random encounters all have a brief blurb to describe them (and are more frequent and not all combat), and each general are has a lot of text describing it for the DM to play with. It also describes the weather and the story is told up front and not like Kingmaker where a BBEG apocalypse comes from nowhere.

Kingmaker is randomly placed disconnected things that happen, there's no reason given to not just follow the actual railroad plot, the plot is only hinted at for the first two books and hen sort of happens eventually, and it's a lot of rolling for *nothing* to happen. It's literally enter hex everyone rolls a bunch of dice (even the GM) and then they mark off rations or caught some food. Boring and slow.

Out of the Abyss isn't a hex crawl but has a table showing how long it takes going between major destinations. It hen has a lot of encounters tied to the overal story, and each major location has a disasterous events and the whole story is revealed in pieces. There are a lot of NPCs typing the PCs to the plot.

OotA also has a lot of people with no equipment exploring the Underdark and struggling to eat even with Outlander backgrounds.

Sounds like I have a lot of reading and work ahead of me then, though I suppose that should have been expected.

I'm trying to write a campaign in the Forgotten Realms that focuses on a war among cults after the discovery of a powerful artifact, the Codex of Infinite Planes. I'd like to get some feedback on how the campaign sounds and suggestions for adapting the story better and sub-plots to be held in the story.

The background I have so far is that the Drow discovered the Codex underground and have attempted to use it to open a gate to Lolth's realm (66th Plane) in order to expand their own power. While the gate was succesfully opened, the Codex user was not powerful enough to properly use the Codex and unleashed a large earthquake that collapsed the Drow city that held the Codex and fractured the surface world according to the brown lines on the image attached. The fissures have also revealed larger entrances to the Underdark and, through these openings, minions of Lolth will be attempting to expand the influence of the Underdark to the surface.

Vecna communes with his Voice of Vecna to inform his cult of the source of the powerful earthquake (he is a sorcerer after all) and commands them to secretly take the Codex for his use in overthrowing other deities. The cult does this by taking advantage of the panicked state of major cities in the area to create further chaos as a distraction to more easily discover the location of the Codex. I realize Vecna isn't supposed to be in the Forgotten Realms, but I just really want a campaign with a cult of Vecna since there is a lot of lore behind it and the secretive nature of the cult makes it great for building more mystery in the campaign.
cont.

Simultaneously, a Cult of Tiamat discovers (revealed in the fractured landscape near the Well of Dragons) the Orb of Dragonkind (Gold) which it uses to dominate local gold dragons and dragonborn to strengthen its forces. Although they don't know of the Codex, they are attempting to expand their influence to larger regions of the Forgotten Realms (Tiamat is known for her greed).

The players will be located in Waterdeep and will be asked to venture to Athkatla (Amn) to help Waterdeep's trading partner restore it's trade routes. A lot of the trade routes are being overrun by displaced creatures due to the earthquake fracturing the mountainous regions and they will uncover more of the underlying causes of the quake and the cults vying for power through the course of the campaign.

What do all of you think?

Wilderness is boring. It's the stuff that's in the wilderness that's interesting. I mean, you can only fight so many different critters before it all starts to become a bit samey. Monster fights, puzzles and the likes are cool as a break away from the social side of things, but the most interesting part of any D&D campaign is trying to wrangle NPCs into doing what you want/need them to.

Barbarians don't cast spells user.

But ignoring the factual innacuracy in your """"counter argument"""", half casters have slower progression than full casters, and at all levels of the game are barred from interacting with the game as well as full casters can. In fact, it is impossible for a half caster class to learn 5th and higher level spells without devoting a majority of their levels to a full caster class.

But even if you arbitrarily limit the level progression to something as low as 10, this disparity remains. Now it's half casters being stuck on 2nd level spells, and full casters having 3rd and higher.

The only martial class in the game that comes close to casters in flexibility and utility is the rogue.

This is why Ravnica is the best setting.

I'm working on homebrewing rules for a sandbox city plane campaign. The main twist is going to be player generated content. The hexes will start out mostly blank, with different types of city on them. The players will get once per session abilities tied to the backgrounds they've chosen.

So a guy with a thief background might be able to call in a favor with the local thieves guild, and now there's a thieves guild base in that hex. A guy with a noble background might be able to know the local magistrate, and now there's a magistrate's palace in that hex. Etc, etc.

I'm no expert on FR but it sounds super fun. I'd enjoy it, dude.

Yeah, obviously just fighting wild monsters is boring. Ideally, I'd want them interacting with tribes and villages to exchange monsters they hunter for supplies or doing favors that way

How shitty are monks in this edition, guys?

I haven't played with any, but I know they get ki blasts.

They're okay, actually

Pretty good, aside from one shitty subclass.

The monk in my party was doing great until he insisted on wearing a blindfold to his endless detriment.

How would you personally rank their subclasses, do you think?

Open Hand and Sun Soul are both very nice, if for different reasons.

Shadow offers some good mobity and stealth options, and is probably more middle of the road for me.

Four Elements is the worst, as they burn through ki way too quickly to use their effects. It severely weakens the class and brings it a lot lower. If they had extra Ki, it'd be more on par with the others.

I ran the Lost Mines of Phandelver starter set for a group of guys new to tabletop and they liked it, so I'm running a homebrew campaign for them starting in a coupe weeks. The party is starting at level 3.

I've made a region map and have plans for the starting area, and have made some side quests, but I'm having trouble coming up with a main quest or main villain for the campaign. I'm thinking a cult of some kind could be fun.

Ultroloths seem pretty fucking cool but I don't know much about them outside of what's in the monster manual.They are pretty strong (CR 13) so maybe a long term villain?

Help me /5eg/

I see, I'll keep that in mind. Thank you anons

Can we agree that a well built Oath of Vengeance Paladin is the strongest straight up combat character?

If not, what do you think is more powerful?

Thanks!
Any tips guys?

I've been thinking about how to fix the caster monk.

"Ki Channeling: Beginning at third level, you have an extra pool of ki points equal to your level that may only be used for the purposes of casting spells."

Wot4E < Long Death < Sun Soul< Shadow< Open hand.

Wot4E is trying to be a sorcerer without spell slots (I mean they could have gone the AT/EK route while using ki as double cost sorcerry point instead).

Long Death tanks with temp Up, is spooky faast (good for herding weaker opponents) and can stand up from 0 to 1 Hp in one turn.

Sun Soul lets you cast radiant fists and at lvl 11 you get to Chuck radiant mini fireballs for free each turn which makes it the mob killer.

Shadow with its teleport stays usefull always.

And open hand can spam flurry to knock everything of their feet while their capstone is the only true save or die.

They seem to need magic AC buffs come lategame, but otherwise pretty good? They have a gajillion bonus action options so the limit on those seem to be pretty hampering. :(
They're monsters at lvl1 with a guaranteed extra attack every round.

That's not a 5e general, it's a succubus name thread

I don't care about the slut names but about the picture on that comment.

What's your slut name? :^)

Are we speaking in terms of raw damage potential, tankiness, or a mixture of the two? Vengeance paladin is certainly one of the best classes in this edition I do agree, but other classes can outshine it in combat and n certain fields.

Any of the three I guess, I honestly didn't really have anything specific in mind.

Is there a good way to build a ranged paladin?

> martial
> good

Hi! Fuck off.
I'm not talking about competitiveness, I just want to know shit like "can I smite with a bow"

Talk to your DM about getting the archery fighting style and smites on ranged attacks with your paladin. By RAW though, it doesn't work.

>bait

So, I want to do some race homebrewing for 5e, but there's a question bothering me. We all know how the 5e Genasi works, but I'm curious; how far do you think the Genasi can "go"? Is there any limit to elemental aspects that you'd place?

Like, in 4th edition, we had Storm Genasi and Abyssal Genasi (Plague, Cinder, Caustic and Void). Would you find any of those believable in a 5e game?

What about a Wood Genasi or a Metal Genasi, in a system using Element Number Five or just the Wu Xing elemental trope?

What about Genasi based on Ravenloft's Dread Elementals of Blood, Grave, Mist and Pyre?

I'd like to add elemental variants like this, but I don't know if people would actually consider them "okay", even with the traditional para-elemental and quasi-elemental planes as proof - hell, 3e did Para/Quasi-Genasi in a Dragon Magazine article.

is DC 10 for stabilizing a creature to low?

So if a lord put a bounty on a demon's head, for how much would you expect it to be ? It's a low level demon something that 5 4th level fags could deal with without losing too much.

Fighters are better in damage potential, since they can get up to 4 attacks in a turn, plus the fighter nova is the most powerful of all class novas. Barbarians are better at tanking damage and can get pretty solid AC on top of ridiculous HP if build right. Paladin, especially vengeance paladin, is a solid mix of damage and tank. They can deal solid damage with their two attacks, smites, spells, and so on, and have healing that makes them slightly tankier than fighters. Paladins also have the overall best saving throws in the game. A well built paladin can absolutely demolish creatures who try to disable with saving throw effects, like umber hulks.

Half-Orc Champion Fighters / Berserker Barbarians with greatswords.
>rules of nature.jpg

You've got options.
Throwing weapons gain the benefit of the dueling fighting style (+2 damage).
Bows gain the benefit of the Oath of Devotion's channel divinity feature that adds +charisma modifier to damage.

Ultimately I'd probably go for a Oath of Devotion Paladin with the dueling fighting style and just stack up dem bonuses.

There are several paladin self-buff spells that ranged weapons can benefit from: Divine Favor (+1d4 radiant damage), Branding Smite (+2d6 radiant damage), Elemental Weapon (+1 to-hit +1d4 elemental damage), Crusader's Mantle (+1d4 radiant damage), and Banishing Smite (+5d10 radiant damage with additional goodies)

Thanks very much chaps

Nah that's perfectly fine.

Depends on how desperate the Lord is to see it dead really. I would make it a minimum of 500 but a maximum of 2000 GP. Alternatively, you could give 1000 and an uncommon magic item.

You can go full Order of the Stick and release a Genasi for each element of the periodic table.

I think it could work, but they'd be even rarer than traditional genasi. Consider treating them like the half-elf variants were treated in SCAG. Rather than have an entire subclass, maybe just swap out some of the features of the different elemental genasi to better suit the new subclass.

For a magma genasi, they might have the same stats as a fire genasi, but learn Mold Earth rather than Control Flame. Or perhaps as an earth genasi, but gain resistance to Fire instead of learning Pass Without Trace. Small changes to the already established genasi to better suit a more specific case.

You could certainly add them, but you should definitely only allow them when you're using cosmology they make sense for. No need to allow Blood Genasi out of Ravenloft, for example.

This seems to be the most active D&D thread, so pardon my intrusion. I see this is 5th edition, but was wondering if you might still be able to help me.

I am in a 3.5 campaign with some friends, they have years of experience playing, this is my first real time playing. I did ok the other day, but had to be coached along the whole session so I knew when to roll and stuff.

I was wondering if you had any "cheat sheet" sort of things for combat, so i know what to do when I want to roll to hit, knowing how to add my AC and that stuff.

I'd look for a 3.5 thread, sorry.
I know stuff like that exists I just don't have any of my 3.5e stuff anymore

go to the pathfinder thread

ok, thanks. I'll lurk here incase someone does still have 3.5 stuff, but ill look elsewhere.

>dubdubtrips goes to 3.5
Godly. Also, Pathfinder might have a better answer, it's the same system after all.

Ultroloths are great, but don't play them like an orc warlord or whatever. They're smart, and they have absolutely no reason to reveal themselves ever - they have clairvoyance, can cast alter self and invisibility at will, can read thoughts and have telepathy and suggestion/mass suggestion. They're an insidious threat - they operate like a much better doppelganger, except when cornered they can hypnotise you and firestorm the whole room before just teleporting away.

I hate to link reddit, but they have a decent slightly-fanon rundown of yugoloths
reddit.com/r/DnDBehindTheScreen/comments/4427ma/yugoloth/

Thanks for the advice. I'm currently focusing on the idea of Wood, Metal, and updating the Dread Genasi (from Quoth the Raven) and 4e's Storm Genasi. Can I post the results here for feedback?

>Can I post the results here for feedback?
Not that user but, of course you can!

Yes, please do! Love seeing new stuff to steal for my games

Go for it. Always love to poke around at homebrew.

I got this problem 5e
>say i want only 5 players for the campaign, i let out two of my regular players, because a friend of mine and his friend wanted to play
>session day they cant come, so i change the date of the session
>one day before the session they say they wont come because they are going to watch GoT
>let my two regular players play in their place
>the day of the session the player i let out says he can come
>say to him he cant
>rant starts
what should i do?

just let him play. the unexpected and dynamic story telling is what makes the experience memorable and fun.

Alright, I've actually got some pre-prepared stats for the Dread Genasi, so I'll post them first. For those who want to reference the "original" versions, check out Quoth the Raven issue 7 on the Fraternity of Shadows website.

Grave Genasi, 1st Draft:
Ability Score Increase: +1 Wisdom
Breathless: A Grave Genasi does not need to breathe, making them immune to the effects of drowning, suffocation, strangulation, and inhaled poison.
Return to the Grave: A Grave Genasi has a a Burrow speed of 20 feet. Additionally, upon reaching 5th level, a Grave Genasi may cast Meld With Stone once per long rest; this version of Meld With Stone works on soil and earth as well as stone.

Pyre Genasi, 1st Draft:
Ability Score Increase: +1 Strength
Born to Burn: A Pyre Genasi has Resistance to Fire.
Burn With Me: A Pyre Genasi has Proficiency with Unarmed Attacks, and its Unarmed Attacks do Fire damage. When wielding a melee weapon, a Pyre Genasi's attacks do bonus Fire damage equal to the Pyre Genasi's level.
Firestarter: A Pyre Genasi knows the Produce Flame and Control Flame cantrips.

Mist Genasi, 1st Draft:
Ability Score Increase: +1 Charisma
Walker Between: A Mist Genasi that reaches fifth level may cast Gaseous Form once per long rest.
Cloak of Mist: A Mist Genasi can cast Fog Cloud as a 2nd level spell once per short rest.

Blood Genasi, 1st Draft:
Ability Score Increase: +1 Intelligence
Bloodscent: A Blood Genasi has the Scent ability, but can only use its enhanced senses to find spilled blood or to follow a creature that has been wounded.
Pool of Blood: At 5th level, a Blood Genasi may cast a variant of the Gaseous Form spell upon itself once per long rest. In this state, a Blood Genasi cannot fly, but crawls along the ground at double its movement speed. Otherwise, it functions as per Gaseous Form.
Thief of Life: A Blood Genasi that deals damage with an attack regains missing hitpoints equal to its Constitution bonus.

> Missing a scheduled event for something trivial that they can do any day.

That's pretty rude, user, especially after making you change the date to begin with. Maybe you shouldn't bother letting them come back.

I'd say maybe let him but if he flakes again (without an absolutely solid reason) kick him

>mfw someone posts their homebrew

Return to the Grave: A burrow speed is decently powerful, albeit not as blatantly broken as the flying speed of a *certain* class option. Doesn't seem particularly bad though.

Burn With Me: ...adding your level in fire damage to *all* attacks? You are aware how much that increases damage by, right? For most melee classes that'll cap out at +40, but for Fighters it'll be +80. Per turn. That is an insane damage increase. Barbarians only get a +4 to each hit, and they don't get as many attacks as Fighters, nor does it work permanently, only while raging. Also, you don't need to specify they're proficient with unarmed attacks since everyone is automatically proficient with them.

Mist Genasi in general: No major problems here.

Blood Genasi: I have problems with all three abilities. Bloodscent pulls on the Scent ability, which I'm not even sure *is* an ability in 5e. I recall any monster with similar abilities just having advantage on Perception checks related to their sense of smell. Pool of Life complicates an already existing spell, but I guess it's not a terrible change, even if it does give you more to think about. Thief of Life is a ridiculous class ability that, once again, can give a character a huge edge in combat. A Fighter could gain a maximum of +20HP a turn with that from just hitting things 25HP if they make a reaction hit or attack with a bonus action somehow, and that's going to make their healing potential incredibly high at later levels, especially since Genasi get a +2 constitution as standard anyway... and that's before we talk about Action Surge.

>Grave

Seems okay. Burrow speed of 20 might be a bit much to start. You might want to make it only function on loose earth. That way they can burrow around a graveyard, but not through a dungeon.

>Pyre

Fire damage as level extra damage on weapon attacks is busted as fuck. I'd skip that entirely. The unarmed bit is fine, maybe give them 1d4 unarmed damage if you feel like it.

>Mist

Feels kinda lame that they start with nothing. Maybe in place of fog cloud you could give them something to let them blend in with rain or mist like how wood elves can?

>Blood

Good except for that last bit. Regaining Con HP on every hit might get crazy. Consider Vampiric Touch once per day or something instead.

Burn With Me and Thief of Life are not okay.

>Pyre Genasi
>[Lvl] extra damage per attack
Bloody hell
That's a bit strong if you ask me

How much damage does a Torch do? Because I don't think Burn with Me should give much more of a bonus than that.

1d4 fire damage I think.

Only 1 fire damage, actually. People usually up that by throwing oil beforehand for an extra 5 fire damage.

Thank you all for the critique so far.

>Grave
Hmm, what if I make it that the default Burrow Speed is either slower or loose soil only until, say, level 5 or 7? Then it boosts back up?

Maybe Necrotic Resistance would be appropriate? 3e's Grave Elementals didn't really take advantage of the "necromantically infused earth elemental" thing that much, but new edition is a chance to rewrite lame monsters, and it makes sense that an elemental of earth-with-corpses-in-it would have necromancy affiliations, yes?

>Pyre
Okay, you don't need to twist my arm, I get that the amount of damage Burn With Me was doing is overpowered. ;p But, doesn't it kind of stink that you can't use your nature as an embodiment of fire's destructive, death-dealing aspect unless you're bare-handed, and so sub-optimal? Maybe there's a way to add some bonus Fire damage to weapons that isn't so broken?

>Mist
Yeah, they were kind of the race I had the most problems with. They're pretty damn lame even in 3.5 - Obscuring Cloud 1/day, enemies have lower concealment from mist, and the standard elemental protection. Stealing from the Wood Elf might be one thing, but any other suggestions to buff them up?

>Blood
Yeah, Bloodscent is one of the traits they had in 3.5 that I don't know if it can pull off in 5e. Maybe Advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks made to find creatures that are injured or otherwise bloody?

Maybe make Thief of Life similar to Burn With Me and instead make it a not-overpowering amount of bonus Necrotic damage with each attack? Vampiric Touch at 5th level alone is kind of similar to the current problem with the Mist Genasi, isn't it?

>All
Actually, do you think that by the fluff, all of the Dread Elemental Genasi should maybe have Necrotic Resistance? Necrotic is the new Negative Energy, so it's kind of the death/evil element in the game, isn't it?

Okay, so, I know we're still picking apart my Dread Genasi, but I can't hang around for too much longer.

Here's my Storm and Wood Genasi first drafts, but I've got absolutely nothing for a Metal Genasi. Anyone got any ideas? All I got so far is a +1 AC bonus, and that's a little bland.

Storm Genasi, 1st Draft:
Storm-Skein: A Storm Genasi has Resistance to Lightning and Thunder damage.
Storm-Weaver: You know the Shocking Grasp and Thunderclap cantrips. Constitution is your casting ability score for these cantrips.

Wood Genasi, 1st Draft:
Ability Score Increase: +1 Dexterity
Vegetative Vitality: You have Resistance to Poison and increase the amount of hit points restored by healing effects by an amount equal to your Constitution modifier.
Bend the Boughs: You know the Thorn Whip cantrip. When you reach 3rd level, you can cast Entangle once per long rest with this trait. Constitution is your spellcasting ability score for these traits.

Your new Bloodscent sounds good and yeah necrotic's the new death element

Rolled 1, 16, 1, 13 = 31 (4d20)

level 20 (any other race) fighter with GWM feat and 20 Str
>Attack + 3 Extra Attacks
>+20 damage from strength
>GWM: +40 damage
>assuming all hits, damage modifier = +60

level 20 pyre genasi fighter with 10 Str and no feats
>Attack + 3 Extra Attacks
>+80 from burn with me

Fucking lol. The 20 Str fighter needs to dedicate 2 ASI's to his Strength boosts and another ASI to the GWM feat for that +60 (and he needs to sacrifice a 5 point deduction on the attack roll).

The Pyre Genasi gets +80 for free.

Assuming they both start at Str 10 for comparison:
Non-Genasi Fighter
>Level 4: Str12
>Level 6: Str14
>Level 8: Str16
>Level 12: Str 18
>Level 14: Str 20
>Level 16: GWM Feat
>Level 19: doesn't matter
>Level 20: Gets Extra Attack (3)
If all attacks in a turn hit, +60 damage bonus

Genasi Fighter
>Level 4: doesn't matter
>Level 6: doesn't matter
>Level 8: doesn't matter
>Level 12: doesn't matter
>Level 14: doesn't matter
>Level 16: doesn't matter
>Level 19: doesn't matter
>Level 20: Gets Extra Attack (3)
If all attacks in a turn hit, +80 damage bonus

>Grave

Maybe add on Chill Touch as a cantrip? To represent skeletal hands reaching up to ground people?

I think keeping the burrow speed as loose earth for a while is also a good call.

>Pyre

If you want something like that, maybe make it so their unarmed attakcs deal +1 fire damage (Giving you 2 damage base or more as a monk) and then let them add 1d4 fire damage to an attack 1+ (insert mod here) times per day.

A couple of flame bursts is much more managable, though even that might still be quite strong. I might suggest cutting out Produce flame if you want to keep the weapon bonuses.

>Mist

Most of what springs to mind is spell effects, and often pretty strong ones. Maybe Poison Spray as a cantrip? That's a cloud of toxic air right?

>Blood
Advantage on Investigation, Survival, and Perception checks to smell bloodstains, bloody creatures, or follow blood trails would be a solid bonus.

As for Vampiric touch, you might be able to give that to them a bit earlier, though I forget the exact level of spell it is. maybe limit the healing to be once per day, and have it scale with lecel

>reddit.com/r/DnDBehindTheScreen/comments/4427ma/yugoloth/

Thanks for the advice. I don't like to link there either but I do go there for resources.

>Storm

Seems fine.

>Wood

I would suggest re-wording vegetative vitality so it adds to healing rolls, so that a Paladin can't slowly drip you 1 point of lay on hands a turn for big healing savings.

Other than that, solid.

These are much more reasonable designed.

That's a lot of effort to point out something quite obvious
Are you alright user?

what type of traps can you find in an abandoned mine?

Hmm... well, as a matter of fact, Grave Elementals in 3e had an attack called "Sink" which was themed as "decaying hands rip out of the ground, grab your legs and pull you under to suffocate", so a Chill Touch cantrip might actually work.

Likewise, Mist Elementals had an Infuse attack, where grappling a creature could let them force an alignment change to Evil. So playing on that miasmic association might just work...

Vampiric Healing is a 3rd level spell, and I think that's a little too powerful to be a racial trait in 5e.

Hmm... I think I might have 2nd drafts, give me a few minutes and I'll try to upload them.

Thanks for the critique. Could you take a stab at rewording Vegetative Vitality? I don't really know how to clear things up to convey what you're talking about.

Is it really abandoned or did the local rapist hide in it again?

>Vampiric Healing is a 3rd level spell, and I think that's a little too powerful to be a racial trait in 5e.

so is gaseous form

So I guess there would be rape-mushrooms, rape logs, black-out mold and maybe cock-goblin here or there?

Alright, here's draft 2 of my Dread Genasi statblocks. I'll probably be gone before too long, but I was wondering; once the Genasi are workable, would it be okay if I tried out stats for other races, like Aranea or Ratfolk?

Grave Genasi, 2nd Draft:
Ability Score Increase: +1 Wisdom
Child of the Grave: You have Resistance to both Cold Damage and Necrotic Damage.
Clutch of the Grave: You know the Chill Touch cantrip, which uses Constitution as your spellcasting ability score.
Breathless: A Grave Genasi does not need to breathe, making them immune to the effects of drowning, suffocation, strangulation, and inhaled poison.
Return to the Grave: A Grave Genasi has a a Burrow speed of 20 feet, though until it reaches 5th level it can only Burrow through loose soil. Additionally, upon reaching 5th level, a Grave Genasi may cast Meld With Stone once per long rest; this version of Meld With Stone works on soil and earth as well as stone.

Pyre Genasi, 2nd Draft:
Ability Score Increase: +1 Strength
Born Amidst Charred Bones: A Pyre Genasi has Resistance to both Fire Damage and Necrotic Damage.
Burn With Me: A Pyre Genasi's Unarmed Attacks do Fire damage equal to their Constitution bonus.
Firestarter: A Pyre Genasi knows the Produce Flame and Control Flame cantrips.

Mist Genasi, 2nd Draft:
Miasmic Spawn: A Mist Genasi has Resistance to both Poison Damage and Necrotic Damage.
Baleful Breath: You know the Poison Spray cantrip, which uses Constitution as your spellcasting ability score.
Walker Between: A Mist Genasi that reaches fifth level may cast Gaseous Form once per long rest.
Cloak of Mist: A Mist Genasi can cast Fog Cloud as a 2nd level spell once per short rest.

I know a bunch of people will go >leddit
but there's a great series of subs for DMs like:
r/DnDBehindTheScreen
r/AskGameMasters
r/Loremasters
r/UnearthedArcana

There's rarely a good place to ask for GMing advice on Veeky Forums because you'll just get a lot of perma-players browbeating you.

Had to split off my Blood Genasi due to post length.

Blood Genasi, 2nd Draft:
Ability Score Increase: +1 Intelligence
Gore-Slicked Birth: A Blood Genasi has Resistance to both Acid Damage and Necrotic Damage.
Bloodscent: A Blood Genasi has Advantage on Intelligence (Investigation) and Wisdom (Perception and Survival) checks made in relation to blood. Noticing blood-stains or blood-smeared items, tracking a wounded creature, identifying a smear as blood, or avoiding ambush by a blood-covered assailant are all examples of using this trait.
Pool of Blood: At 5th level, a Blood Genasi may cast a variant of the Gaseous Form spell upon itself once per long rest. In this state, a Blood Genasi cannot fly, but crawls along the ground at double its movement speed. Otherwise, it functions as per Gaseous Form.
Thief of Life: A Blood Gensai's Unarmed Attacks inflict Necrotic damage equal to their Constitution bonus.

hey guys, is this system good for a group of people who've never run d&d before?

anything about the balance that i should know? is anything particularly terrible / not viable? is the system completely combat based like i've heard?