So as I kid I played this game called Mechassault. It was fucking cool and the mech designs kinda stayed with me

So as I kid I played this game called Mechassault. It was fucking cool and the mech designs kinda stayed with me.

So then I'm an adult on a boring night recently, I'm staying up late and can't get sleep and I find a video about Battletech. So then I make the connection and start down the rabbit hole. Eight hours later I'm reading all the entries on Sarna and looking up gameplay on the old Mechwarrior games.

This fucking universe and shit is awesome. Why the fuck is none of the vidya easy to get? Why the fuck didn't I hear about the tabletop till like now. I've been playing Infinity, 40K, and Fantasy since I started college.

Other urls found in this thread:

mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=309&l=dc7c83b630720245ac532502c7b88b49afdbf415
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Why the fuck didn't I hear about the tabletop till like now.

I mean it isn't like we've had a Mechwarrior/Battletech general going here since the younger neolithic or so.

on the other hand the IP licenser, Catalyst Game Labs, does shit to advertise the game since it took care of the game, 10 years ago or something

OP, if you want to talk about the table top go to

As a kid I thought MechAssault and MechWarrior were two different things. Then all of the sudden I saw guys at my local game store playing Battletech and then I was really confused. The dots didn't really connect very well.

I started the first one of those, I'm so damn proud that it is bascially a tradition now. I also made the Steiner Orbital Drop motivational poster, and a bunch of other ones.

You used to be able to legally download Mechwarrior 4 for free and there was a MW2 remake being made by the people who hosted it.

both were shut down by the people who make Mechwarrior Online

>proud about an incestuous pit of disgruntled whining and shitposting

Wew.

>mechwarrior online

op here, I was... acquiring the series to give it a play. It looks like it might be a bitch to get running since neither GoG or Steam has any of them and I'm on Win7.

Is Mechwarrior online any good? I was looking into some community guides and this guy named B33F, it looks like a really enjoyable team tactics game. Although I don't want to play a pay for jew game if it's awful like that.

Found Battletech years ago when I was 11 or 12. At that time they used mechs from Robotech which is what hooked me.

I still own an Archer and Maurader from back in the day.

>Although I don't want to play a pay for jew game
;^)

Is this a real life?

It fun for about 5 games. Then it's shit. Then you play 100 more games consisting of getting shit on and maybe getting a kill or two so you can buy your first mech, customize it and have fun for another 5 games. Then get bored/angry and quit.

Just torrent the MW4 titles (Vengeance, Black Knight, and Mercenaries) and play through the campaigns for some good fun. MW3 won't work on most computers now so you're SOL there,

Black Knight is the most fun honestly

Yes, it actually happened.

They had to change their pricing model because of backlash, but the financial model has remained the same (release robot for money ---> keep it as cash exclusive for 60-90 days ---> nerf into ground, release new robot)

Although they've had to tone down that as well because people have simply been issuing chargebacks en masse whenever robots fail to live up to expectations, which has led to them being branded as fraud by many financial institutions.

That picture you have there costs twice what my 40k army costs together.

There's also Living Legends, which is a standalone mod made using the Crysis engine. It's completely free and has a bit of population again.

actually it costs *only* 240$ to get these 8 mechs. They have released many other packs, though, so your affirmative is probably still true

>Is Mechwarrior online any good?
It's fine, so long as you don't expect to be able to drop in a fully decked out Direwolf without paying a penny and without any grinding.

There are a random selection of trial mechs, of all types and classes, which you can play in until you buy your own. They come with the standard equipment that the lore says they have, and you can't customise them. Since half the fun of the game is coming up with new builds to try out, you'll want to get your own mech as soon as possible. It shouldn't take that long to save up for a light mech. Then you can use that to build up enough c-bills for a medium, and use that to get a heavy, and so on. Or if you prefer, concentrate on one mech and upgrade it fully (you need to buy buy three variants of the mech in order to unlock all upgrades).

Don't be sad that you can't afford an Atlas at first; assaults aren't as fun and require more experience anyway. Lights and heavies are good for newer players.

the only thing I've ever found to be worth paying for are 10$ on a few extra mech-bays (you can only get a mech if you have a slot free). Everything else I bought with in-game currency, and I have over thirty mechs atm and a shit load of euqipment. So while you might need to grind a little, that's true of any MMO and there isn't an inordinate amount of grinding. The fact that MWO is willing to take advantage of people insane enough willing to pay hundreds of dollars for a special direwolf doesn't make it pay to win

I won MechCommander 2 in a magazine contest. That game took years to load a save, but was quite fun

Same here OP, mechassault was the shit.
The tabletop is strange to say the least, it has a diehard fanbase and is way cheaper to get into than 40k, but it is really hard to find nowadays.

I'm a total fucking noob to the game but have two mechs of my own, I am considering remaking the mad cat in MAutocannong
>Timber wolf
>Twin ppcs
>LRM
>Autocannon
Is it possible and if so, will it be effective?

>MAautocannong
Holy fuck spellcheck is fucked up.
Meant "Mechassault"

A madcat won't have the tonnage to carry all that. It has a 375XL, which is HUEG. Not to mention that mwo's meta is extremely one dimensional and boring. Lrms are bad, don't use them. Clan erppcs are so hot that you need to be in a double heat sync boating mech to use them, which the timber wolf can't be due to having endo and ferro. In a timber wolf, your best bet would be one gauss and 4-5 er mediums, or two large pulse 3 medium pulse, ect.

lrms are bad because you need to lock on before firing, making snapshots impossible, and you are countered easily by ams or ecm. Not to mention they spread damage all over the mech, making even moderate damage applied meaningless when compared to putting 30 or so damage in one place with lasers and Gauss.

Clan autocannons also suffer from this problem, as they fire in bursts, spreading damage easily on even the slowest targets. The only time you really use clan autocannons is when you can boat so many it doesn't matter where you hit, or when you're super close. Clan erppcs put 10 damage in one place and splash the other 5 to different locations by the way.

Tl:Dr Timber wolf can only really use energy, srms and maybe Gauss.

While we're on the topic is there a turn-by-turn computer version (free or for pay) that plays like the tabletop game other than Megamek?
I'm pretty casual and I would love to play something but am shit with all the math and tables.

But I also hate being a killjoy so while this won't be very good, you can use this.
mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=309&l=dc7c83b630720245ac532502c7b88b49afdbf415

Just get MegaMek and play actual Battletech online if you must play a vidya.

Didn't mean to quote there. I did mean to be a grumpy old grog though.

I want kippith to leave.

Assault was literally the worst MW game. Sorry, OP.

Op here. So Mechwarrior 2 is a bust and so is 4, and I can't even pirate 3. I tried the first results on youtube for some install tutorials. Haven't worked the first time.

Assault was real good fun which is why I wanted to play the rest in the series. But FUCKING WHY CAN'T THESE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS PUT IT ON GOG!? FUCK! FUCCCCKKK!

Just had to vent.

MWO is pretty fun now. I was in the first wave of beta and had to suffer from every round of ineptitude and calamity, outright abandoning the game when it 'launched' in the sorry ass state it was in.

I started playing again a few months ago, and it seems PGI finally pulled their head out of their ass and made an effort to balance it and make it fun. It's not perfect, but there are other developers that don't even try to hash things out to even that level *cough* modern Blizzard *cough*

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for
I am a pretty shitty player, but I hate adhering to the meta above all else.
Not really comfortable with the mechlab yet, but I could sacrifice some armor to fit an extra sink or two just in case.

Taking a full ton or two off would compromise that build, be careful

MechAssault was okay (if you accept it as an arcade MW game). MechAssault2 was cheesy. The most effective tactic in that game against another mech is to hop out of yours, hop over to the opponent, then carjack it by hacking his auto-eject. Instant win.

MWO was okay in the beginning when their mantra was a MW game based on the tabletop, and it was. Then they started "balancing" and it became a seesaw nightmare with OP tactics of the month. Plus, the grind was awful. My friend, however, dug it and paid hundreds to them (even though he also hated the seesaw balancing). At the very least, it's free to play, so it's worth a go.

forgot

There are also the MechCommander games which are real=time tactics. Both games are free and 2 is open-source.

Have you been to pirate bay? I torrented the entire MW4 series from there and they work fine on my PC