/40krpg/ 40K Roleplay General

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame. Not Chapter Master. Or Space Hulk.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things formerly listed individually on this post.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.45.160417), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now containing some of the DH2 content up to the first supplement.
mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Fear and Loathing (Ver 1.5.2) and The Fringe is Yours (Ver 1.6.0), Veeky Forums made Rogue Trader homebrew supplements for playable xenos, Knights, Horus Heresy gear, and other things. Now found in the Homebrew Megafolder.

Additional Resources:
Now found in the Homebrew Megafolder.

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M2_Browning
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

This thread appears to be dying, so let's give it a bit of CPR (hopefully). Favorite system and why. Can be as a GM, player, whatever.

As a player, I like Black Crusade because I'm a total asshole, but sometimes do stuff that is really stupid and occasionally amazing. And in BC that always feels so much more fun.

As a GM, I like Only War because it's much easier to control the game without railroading

I usually favor Only War for the militariness.

Dark Heresy 2, but with the full armoury of all others (except the more heretical stuff).
You can do almost anything in it as a GM, from locating xenos to fighting of cultists and daemon incursions (with a little help) to declaring an exterminatus.
As a player, you can play almost any character you want, and feel a great sense of freedom with roleplaying. (the original (dh2E with no mods) can be a bit underwhelming in the weapons department though).

Can a Tech-Priestess get married?
More specifically to a Rogue Trader?

I'm wondering this because in the Rogue Trader game I'm in my Tech-Priestess is romantically involved with the Rogue Trader in question, and I can't remember if there's anything regarding this.

Only War for both for me. Freedom to design your character within the class's strengths, diversity among everyday guardsmen, and the ability to fetter psyker powers.

So, has anyone ever run a squad of only Weapon Specs? My group batted the idea around for awhile.

>The Autocannon and the M41 Multilaser

It is fully possible to heft about an Autocannon or an Assault Cannon though, even though they're usually mounted. It usually takes spess mareens to do it, but it's not unheard of.

There are no examples of lugging around Multilasers, but given their size is slightly smaller than an autocannon, it should be slightly easier to carry one around and go wild.

> implying tech priests have personality enough to be romantically involved

user might be a Factor from Dark Heresy.

So is this the 40k tabletop game I DON'T need figurines for?
I'm looking to GM an Imperial Guard game.

Correct!

The Imperial Guard game is called Only War.

Some tips:

Psykers are ridiculously powerful. And cause trouble due to psychic powers.

The Autocannon is extremely overpowered. Try to convince your players to take something else, such as the Multilaser.

Oh great, thank you. I was having a bit of a hard time finding any rule books or anything!

Hm, alright, I'll keep these in mind.

Only war for both.

As a player, I love the 40k universe and immersing myself as a guardsman is the greatest thing ever for me.

As a GM, it's very difficult for players to power-game, and the low HP pool on everybody makes the game extremely lethal. This prompts more strategy out of my players, and forces them to consider not fighting.
Also, it shoves a huge slice of humble pie in their mouth, and makes it so they stop their bullshit "me vs you" mentality they always seem to take in other systems.
I have actually had players complain that Ork Boys with zapguns was unfair. These are the people I deal with.

>tfw you're making a regiment and you don't know what to do with 20 extra kit points
I'm tempted to give everybody a power fist or a meltagun.

What kind of regiment did you make to have 20 sulprus?

Meltaguns.
It will be GLORIOUS.

Lathe world/rough rider/augmentics/bonded to the machine cult/mistrusted
Spent 10 on IG flak already and now I'm not sure what to spend the rest on.

The thing is that I put meltagun and multi-melta as regimental favored weapons.

The official site still doesn't have the core book or Hammer of the Emperor instock, and all the official pdfs, except for the FAQ and some other goodies such as the character sheet, are no longer available. You're better off pirating them, sadly. I rather prefer physical, but I can't find a copy anywhere.

As a note, I do believe you CAN still buy the PDFs on DrivethruRPG.

Ah, well the PDF is fine anyway, I've only ever done it with online resources anyway.
This is pretty interesting so far, I've already got some ideas for what I can do.

>Rediscover the joy of /40krpg/
>Discover Only War
>Think, "This might be The Game."
>Devour PDFs at unprecedented rate
>Have friends that used to play 40k tabletop and have played Pathfinder on occasion
>Friends say they are in
>Nobody rolls characters, nobody reads the rules
>This happens every time I try to DM/GM
>mfw

10 friends that say they want to play P&P RPGs, and none of them will actually put any effort towards it at all. Maybe its just me.

As was pointed out in the previous thread, the Heavy Stubber is equivalent to an HMG. The M2 is an HMG, as evidenced here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M2_Browning
Thus, some fat fuck carrying around some HMG (that doesn't look anything like an M2 in that pic btw) has no bearing on auto-cannons whatsoever.
For the record, I just discovered Only War last week and it was obvious from the get go that that auto-cannons are too powerful as written.

MEGA Guy with a PSA:

I'm currently stuck at my parents' summer home. Which has worse internet than my pre-Holy Eastlink days. I'll let you all know when I can take updates again.

>an Assault Cannon
IIRC Assault Cannons are mounted weapons unless carried by Terminators.

Autocannons were op since they were introduced where they originally did S/2/5 4d10+5 Pen 4.

All I'm saying is that there are depictions of characters wielding heavy weapons like autocannons without mounting. For ordinary peeps, it's meant to reflect dudes like Harker who are always described as giants amongst men. Your average chucklefuck won't be able to do it, but someone already huge who spent their time becoming huger? Totally possible in the 40k clusterfuck. Spess Mareens can do it easy, like the Iron Warrior legionary here.

Autocannons are, however, an outlier. I won't dispute that point, at least, because I agree.

The recently-introduced Iliastus Pattern Assault Cannon is capable of being wielded outside of terminator armor. It jams like a motherfucker though. It led to the brief joke of "Sanguinius could have prevented the Heresy with 40 guys wielding assault cannons."

They do 3d10+8 Pen 6 now. For the loss of 1d10, they gained 3 damage, and 2 pen. It's slightly better than before - lower damage ceiling for higher guaranteed damage. Still an outlier.

What should I do about maps in Only War?
Is there a specific kind I should use?
I don't actually have much experience using any kind of maps, or dealing with much combat, so I often don't need to use a map, and when I do it's just a quick sketch.

If you do use them, measure things in increments of single meters.

Hello Guys and Gals. I am hoping more then a few of you have some tips for the WH40k Rpg.

I am currently in a Solo game when the Gm runs two NPC's and I play an Arbite. The Story is Harlocks Legacy. And the party and I have been abducted made to fight wild beasts. And Escaped to some Carnival above.

I am 5050 EXP into the game and I feel absolutely Useless.
The Good news is I have 650 to spend and I want to feel less useless.

My question is what can I do to get better? Other then Look for new dice as mine seem to think 70+ Is a good idea.
My Characters Goal is to eventualy become and inquisitor as well. ( Its not going well)
But so far I have found out that I cant fight. I cant shoot. I cant talk. Hide. Persuade. Sneak. Interigate. Drive or Navigate.

The only thing I can do is take a Hit or two. But with no armor thats become much harder.

So my question is. What can I do Cheaply With thrones, Or EXP to make my character Valuable again.

WS: 25
BS: 38
S: 29
T: 43
Ag: 32
Int: 30
Per: 37
Wp:39
Fel: 39
I have only advanced my toughness by +5
If you need to know more ( I am sure you do) Let me know what.

Besides using lathe world, what other regimental options would I use if I wanted it to be a regiment of half-murder servitors?

Hey, so I was wondering if anyone had a character generator for Dark Heresy 2e, maybe a spreadsheet or something? I'm one of those guys who hates doing characters by hand.

I'm running Deathwatch, got a 6 man team of marines, 5 in terminator armor, trying to get off a space hulk. They're all suffering from various degrees of temporary insanity, and i've decided to make 5 havocs, a dozen Khornate Berzerkers, and a Khorne-powered Thunder Warrior standing between them and freedom

Any tips on how to make those berzerkers legitimately scary?

This is a pretty good website:
h ttp:// here syc re at or .9 6.wlt /
Generally pretty good, missing some bits though.
take put the spaces

Corpses.
Desecrated in varying ways, cages with remains in them, agonised screams of lobotomised super warriors, low lighting in warm colours (yellows and reds, maybe throw in some ominous chanting and scrapes and shit on the wall.

Make sure to emphasize their bloodlust and the havoc their weapons can wreak in the confined corridors of a space hulk. Have them kool-aid through walls of piping that spray coolant into the corridor that could freeze you solid in under a minute, they'll open airlocks to get to you. Suicidal things that'd make you laugh if they weren't 100% capable of taking you with them.

Defilers are scary. Especially when all the anti-armour the group carries is an inferno pistol, four Krak grenades and an Omnissian Axe.

But damn if it wasn't fun.

Why is there a thunder warrior there?

Rolled 2, 8, 8, 8, 4, 6, 1, 7, 10, 2, 3, 10, 1, 1, 3, 1, 9, 10 = 94 (18d10)

STATS

eldar stasis trap finally let up thanks to party's meddling earlier in the campaign. Now the big boy is all kinds of pissed and also has it in for the party, Allied with Khorne for extra murderpower, so he can start ripping down the imperium with (admittedly rather righteous) fury and gusto. He made some friends in the last few years too, thus the small warband of very very angry men

Also the party grievously wounded him last time they saw him, after he punched the apothecary's face down his own throat. There's a little bit of animosity there

In terms of fluff and descriptions or stats?

Leaning more toward descriptions

I've already tweaked them a bit with Black Crusade special rules and some pumped up stats to make up for the high player count, and the ability to spend a turn stunned instead of dying, and recovering some wounds as a second wind. They'd have to be killed in that stunned state, a la Doom. Figure I'd give my players a chance to make some very cinematic and memorable kills

I'm more looking for descriptions, behaviours, and taunts to make them a bit scarier in the players minds

Blood leaking out of gaps in their armor, weapons and armor shiny and slick with fresh blood, etc.

...Ork Boys with.... Zzap guns?

sorry, the name escaped me for a second, it was snazzgun (close enough)

Ugh,solo games in Dark Heresy tend to not work very well, in my opinion. At heart, I think DH tries to be an investigation/horror game a la Call of Cthulhu in 40k, but most adventures cannot resist throwing a boss fight in the end.

My overall advice if you are solo is to get a good amount of investigative abilities. You have decent social stats,work on those. Get your Ballistic skill higher, but do not expect on it to do too much.

As for skills: In Dark Heresy, your base stats are low. Being good at something will usually be all about the bonuses. Shooting in short range, with red-dot sight and aim is going do nearly double your chances to hit. With skills, it is a bit harder, but again, it is about getting the most boosts to your roll (in that case, it is also about the GM recognizing them). Helped some old gossip with something? That's +10 or 20 to inquiry. With social skills,you also have the disposition of the other party to mind. Make a good first impression at the ball,and the charm test may be at +20.Try to intimidate someone who is currently psyched out of their mind to go on a killing spree? Welp,that might be a -20 or -30.

Also, for the love of the Emprah, Mork, Cegorach or whatever else you worship,wear armor. I imagine losing yours was part of the setup, but try to scavenge or purchase something at the first opportunity.

That's still kind of ridiculous

Yea. Finding armor has been my first Priority.
I have +20 Inquiry and Talented for another 10
I still tend to Fail those.
39: To blather, Decive
Im rather annoyed that as a Arbite Command is So far out of my reach. I was trying to Command during the dust and ash house and stuff was not going my way.
Night.. its late Ill look tomorrow

Sit your boys down to have a rule intro/char gen session on one of your regular nights if it's like getting blood out of a stone. S'what I did and it's worked okay.

Regular forge world is a good starting point, but considering they cost the same points and lathe worlds is hilariously imbalanced and better in every single way there's probably no point.

Augmetics gives you a bonus to logistics tests for cybernetics. Cyber-Enhanced lets you start off with some. At your GM's (your?) discretion, you could also use some of your extra regimental kit points to grab some cybernetics, too. Integrated weapons from Shield of Humanity might be useful to you, but again, they might be too latheworldy, and unless everyone starts with mechanicus implants (i.e. from lathe worlds) you won't have their ridic OP infinite ammo unless you houserule it.

I had a vague concept for a feudal world of serfs and indentured labourers with a strong Adeptus Mechanicus presence, sort of like a Knight World but with a focus on the lower classes rather than the aristocracy in mechas. They provide some vital resource to the mechanicum for its fabrication (i.e. promethium) through massed low-tech mining with a high casualty and injury rate. Their techpriest overseers eagerly fit them with augmetic replacements if they injure themselves, but these augmetics are still considered property of the Machine Cult. Eventually, if they require enough replacements, their bodies and minds are forfeit and they're converted into servitors. Contributing to the planet's Imperial Guard tithe is the sole remaining option the most maimed and enhanced workers have to preserve their minds and souls.

I will post moar if Veeky Forums is interested.

Same guy, as above, but also just thought: you could let your guys do a logistics test fairly early on for more cybernetics if you want. Shit, medicae and tech-use tests to have these cybernetics installed to prep your guys for war could serve as the mechanical (pun not intended) backdrop to an amazingly atmospheric intro RP.

Can someone explain fully what the Light of Terra is?

A battleship

Check the 2e folder in the MEGA link. I think there's something like that there

I'm a first time DM that is going to start my DH 1st edition group with Edge of Darkness.
Any tips for a beginner? Also, I hate to flip through pages wildly, is there a reference sheet of all the common rolls I can use?

Better served doing it yourself.

It's RT but it should be good for DH1

Thanks a bunch! It even includes a scale for acquisition, awesome.

Yeah, I looked at the other pre-gen, Shattered Hope, and it just seems so out of place to be in a 40k setting, that and one of the few encounters is a tpk unless you have a specific party build.

What are some interesting/unique items from all of the 40k books that a Mechanicus player might be interested in?

double points if it's heretical

I'd recommend checking out DH1e's Lathe Worlds & Radical's Handbook

Do GMs really have so much an issue with players using their influence to accrue a number of tools, bitz and bobz to help you out?
It seems that people get... salty when the influence system allows you to actually get shit.

Most GMs prefer the Throne system because it lets them reign in their players better and control what gear they are allowed to have. The acquisition system takes that power away from the GM and hands it to the players, meaning the GM now has to handle sudden complications the players can enact.

I know that it's a big ass ship that's knackered and personifies more dakka, that's why asked for a full exposition and not just 'a ship'.

Hermetic infusion, transgenic grafting, vitae supplement, psybernetics and aether wave spars, rad furnace, and cybernetica cortex to name a few.

So, I've been kicking around an idea for a super-lance that lets RT players enact the old "slow charging but almighty gun", and I think the rough draft is ready for /40kRPG/.

Turbo-Destructor Cannom
An archeotech weapon of tremendous power, the Turbo-Destructor Cannon is one of the few weapons to earn the coveted and terrible name of Ordinatus Extremis. They are truly titanic weapons capable of channeling the full fury of a vessel’s plasma heart into a single almighty beam fully capable of blowing a battleship in half or glassing vast planetary reaches. Unfortunately, they possess an inconveniently long charging time due to their arcane and ill-understood systems. Every captain in command of such a weapon will inevitably give it a name they feel worthy of its might, and firing the weapon is often by vast religious processions and celebration. Regardless of name, however, they are all the same weapon in principle.
Lance
Space: 6 Power: 5 SP: 4
Damage: 1d10+2 Strength 1 Range: 9 Crit 3

Obliterative: When a Turbo-Destructor scores a critical hit, roll 2d5 and apply both results.

Massive: A Turbo-Destructor may only be installed on ships of Cruiser size or larger, and must occupy a Prow or Keel slot on any ship smaller than a Grand Cruiser.

Charging Sequence: On any Strategic Round that the Turbo-Destructor is not fired, the captain can choose to invest between 1 and 5 additional Power into the cannon. This power drain may depower other components. For every additional Power invested, the Turbo-Destructor gains +2 Damage.
Once 10 or more power has been invested, the Turbo-Destructor additional ignores void shields. At 20 or more additional Power, the sheer magnitude of the laser’s impact deals half damage to any 5other ship within 1 VU of the primary target.
When the Turbo-Destructor is fired, all power invested is lost and must be charged up again from 0, and the cannon cannot be fired or charged for one full Strategic Round.

Thoughts, comments, Veeky Forums?

>The acquisition system takes that power away from the GM and hands it to the players
The players should not have power? There be an artificially enforced medium so the gm need not think?
The game already gives the gm tools to deal with it, from subtlety hits regardless of success to ingame/setting complications. I hate people that can't use what they have.

That sounds way too big to put on a cruiser, unless it's a purpose-built DAoT one.

Imagine the size of the fuses.

>That sounds way too big to put on a cruiser
That's why it's limited to prow/keel slots on cruisers and battlecruisers, both as a mechanical drawback and so fluffwise it has to run through most of the ship, much like a nova cannon, which can also fit cruisers. Its Space requirements are also very high for a lance, so a basic cruiser will have trouble using one in a number of ways.

We have a weapon called the accelerator cannon, it's supposed to be from the great crusade, and I actually did see references to them in the books when I was reading them. It functions as a mix between a bombardment cannon and a super lance normally. We learned that when we connect it to our atomantic arc reactor, another piece of archeotech, it can be arc charged to fire with the force of an atomic in a straight line.

10d10+60 to everything in front of it, not stopping for something like 60 VU. The problem is that after arc charging it damages the cannon and it can't charge up again until repaired. It's a one shot fight opener as long as we can get the charge off. We don't do too well in space, so that gun can barely equalize a fight for us.

I find in these kinds s of situations, "Throw the Tech-priest at it" is rarely a bad idea

>aether wave spars, rad furnace, and cybernetica cortex vitae supplement,

where are these located?

(not constesting that autocannons are ridiculously OP, btw)

This is a finnish Lahti L-39 20mm autocannon from ww2. It can be fired in full auto.
The french also use the M621 autocannon on a light tripod.
In a sci-fi setting where everyone runs on testosterone, even the Sororitas, I think we can accept a man-portable autocannon.
Infinity does it, btw, and manages to keep it balanced with other weapons.

The issue with the rpgs is that they have no scale at all. There isn't any difference between a 20mm and a MBT gun, a 12,7mm HMG is barely more powerful than a rifle, missiles warheads aren't dependant on the launcher, and so on.
It fails at realism and game balance at the same time.

We did that. Well, if you count "accidentally get thrown in the Defiler's general direction" as "throw". And it still almost killed him twice (Critical 7 and 8), by ACCIDENT. It sure as hell trumps Scalies as the scariest thing my character had ever fought on foot.

Unfortunately, we probably have to go back there, and, well, the guards that command left there? They sure weren't the ones to pick up the comms. A long silence followed by ominous whispers was on the other side.

The Cadians freaked the fuck out, and whatever it is this'll probably suck. Even with these boxes of high explosive, I don't feel that good about it.

First one is Hostile Acquisitions. It boosts pushing powers that you can get from the psybernetics. Second two are from The Fringe is Yours. It lets you reduce toughness bonuses and control battle robots, respectively.

There's a digital character sheet app for 2e with all supplements available, can export to pdf as well. Made by DIZElabs and officially endorsed by GW and FFG.

Neat.

I've been trying to get a 40k RPG game going for a long time now, but none of my friends are up to it the cunts
Is there any place you guys can direct me to in order to find a nice group, aside from just scouring d20 and trying to find a party that isn't cancer?

>RPG game
I should kill myself.

How would a sneaky breeki OW regiment go?

Do you mean Cheeki Breeki, Sneaky Beaky or Sneaky Breachy?

Sneaky Beaky

So what would be a better statline for autocannons that would balance them against HBs?
Higher pen, less damage dice?
Say, 2d10+2 pen 8, add a special rule or 2 to give it anti-armor punch?

Rolled 69, 95, 9, 89, 35, 55, 93, 23, 22 = 490 (9d100)

Do you have a flgs nearby?

Just a Games Workshop in a city nearly an hour away from where I live.

Woops. I'm really tired sorry guys

Rolled 2, 25, 62 = 89 (3d100)

It's cool.
Gotta try online, mang.

I've been looking around on roll20 but all the groups that seem fun are full or run systems I've never played in my life. Guess I'll keep looking

In DH2e, is defense or offense a stronger choice in the long run?

Depends on what you're going for.

"Glas Cannon" or "Tank"?
You can still have really strong weapons as "Tank", but if something even just sneezes at the glass cannon it's over. "Tank" doesn't necessarily have to mean high toughness/high armour, high dodge is also important, maybe a force field later.

CC character, but I am looking at overall toughness and utility.
Something in the middle?
This guy is planned to a terror in CC, but I want him to live long enough to enjoy it. High dodge/parry will be paramount as well as the resistances, but I'm looking at things like crushing blow and trying to figure out what is the best use of xp on the long run.

Long run doesn't matter if you don't last long enough to get there in the first place.

I can't decide between ratling and frontier world for it.

same guy as Played a melee assassin in DH1 once, was around 4-5k exp, had barely any wounds or toughness but ridiculous dodge, killed a slightly buffed ork nob in 1on1 melee with only a poisoned knife. If I would have been hit once it'd have been over.
Everything I have learned in the 40k RPGs points to defense beeing superior as long as you at least keep your main attack skill moderately high up, especially in CC where the damage you take is often brutal compared to ranged firefights.

feral world, ratling world, frontier world and death world are all rather good choices for stealth based regiments

I plan on being the one who cheeki breekis, so getting there won't be as much an issue as coming out the other side.
If offense, the crushing/hammer blow series is high on the margin, maybe frenzy. If defense, the resistance line, step aside and such.
With crushing blow, I'm looking at dealing out 1d10+10 pen 5 balanced stunning two handed on a lightning attack with a best quality weapon.
I feel you on that. I plan on having a T4 bonus, decent wounds, maybe 14-17.

Well, plan out exp expenditures right now, one with offense and one with defense and see how much more one will cost over the other.

Now here is the grib, is the weapon cutting the mustard?
It's not a great weapon, and I won't be a psyker, is that enough to throw down with the midline and up nasties I can expect to encounter?
>forgot to say proven 3 as well