Fallout: Virginia

So I talked to my players, and they want to do a Savage Worlds game set in Virginia.I have all the equipment, perks, and traits, but I need interesting places.

What faction and location ideas do you have for post-war Virginia? Slavers? Raiders? Pre-War Virginia Tech students?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dulles_Technology_Corridor
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It was birthplace of Confederacy, right? Make it slavery/Synth central.

The Danville Militia might be a group of folks who got the tanks in the tank museum running.

Northern virginia, near DC, would just be a fuckoff huge swamp

I'm also terrified of what radiation would have done to our Boar population

Specifically around Charlottesville. Charlottesville should just be a real nasty place in general

Charlottesville proper is a SJW paradice, but Albemarle county is shit on a shingle. Plus a RL scion of Nurgle lives in that county, so you can use that.

Virginia has three basic cultures. You have Hampton Roads, NoVa, and the Appalachians. NoVa is an extension of DC so basically Fallout 3. Hampton Roads is more mid-atlantic, while the appalachian region are filled with inbred hicks and lowlifes. Take all of that and exaggerate the negatives, reduce the positives (places near the west VA border already seem like they could be the inspiriation for The Hills Have Eyes today, I can't imagine a nuclear war would help in any way).

I like the naturally funnelling terrain. Put a faction North, and South, then let the mountains and sea channel the story

Just Slavery. The center of high technology should be in Boston.

The South, even in our times, is not exactly a center of innovation and heavy industry. In the 40's and 50's inspired Fallout, it's gonna be pretty backwards too.

You could probably lay on some real, real nasty religious stuff, too. There will be fire and brimstone. There will be lunatic hill billies who handle snakes, all kinds of stuff.

Also what the hell, why not? Have a family that is deceptively like the Waltons, but you know, not. They have some dark secrets. Or they are in a very crass sense, cannibals. They might have been pretty nice before the war, but not sense. They Run Not!Walton's mountain. People are AFRAID of them.

Liberty University should still be a thing

Falwellian factuion?

The home of rebellion from British rule
"Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God"

This should be a no brainer OP

Hell yeah motherfucker

And make Laser muskets actually cool, OP, not lame as shit one-offs

>The South, even in our times, is not exactly a center of innovation and heavy industry.
UVA is routinely rated the best public uni in the country. Lots of VA is super backwards but it's not exactly the deep south. Northern VA is just a suburb of DC

Please, use the enclave
Please, make them complex villains
Please, have multiple people within the faction have different ideals and motivations

Please OP

hey OP
Stop being a fagoot
Get back in here and spitball with us you wretch

Surely it's going to have to run down to the Savannah River? There's no real natural border until you get to that. Unless they decided to bomb the everloving shit out Charlotte for some reason

Enclave is dead user. Don't puppet its corpse any longer. It already had to suffer that indignity at the hands of Bethesda in Fallout 3. Their treatment in New Vegas was a tasteful send-off.

When you say Waltons are we talking Walmart Waltons or some other bunch of Waltons?

>Fallout: Virigina
>Not a single mention of the biggest naval station in the country

I''m trying to imagine what Hampton Roads would look like in the Fallout universe. Maybe they took the carriers and turn them into living quarters like in 3 and you have a revolutionary inspired army camping out on the base while Hampton becomes a dead shrine to the Forefathers.

Realize that there is a ton of guns in Virginia. It is the go to place for guns on the East Coast. Gun running capital, etc...

Also NoVa is filthy rich, so an enclave of prewar Civ with dark secrets, IMO would fit.

My friend in his post apocalyptic campaign had the appalacians as a fiery hellhole, so a large portion of southwest Virginia is like the Centralia Coal mine fire.

Also there is a lot of Military bases and Govt facilities: Quantico, Langley, Ap Hill, Lee, Monroe, Langley AFB ,Norfolk, etc... So lots of little groups with a shit ton of weapons IMO, wouldn't be uncommon.

There's also the railgun in Dahlgren so that could lead to some interesting adventures.

Yeah, that would be an awesome quest.

The Old Missile Bases that were scattered along the Blue Ridge Mountains would make another great objective.

Me and my friends joked that living in non southwest Virgina is pretty much a death sentence in a Cold war gone wrong scenario. to many high profile targets.

If I'm not mistaken I believe there are nukes in Yorktown so that could be an objective for any mission.

>Make it slavery/Synth central.
fucking disgusting

Question, what's the timeline? If it's post-3 maybe around the 4 area, the BoS might be sending scouting missions for tech. They apparently feudalized DC to the point of cannibalizing Rivet City without a second thought so it wouldn't be out of the question for them to be looking to expand further down into Virginia.

An actual successful local region, not all the diamond city, megaton one-offs, an actual city that can defend it self.
If you want to spice it up a bit, you could make the city a giant boat on tank tracks that is mobile.

can we just let the eastern bos die, please?

That's probably what the 7 cities would be, a massive sprawl because you essentially have 2 of the three major forms of transportation present which is Rail and Water

you could have the VMI as a crazy isolationist elite who think they're the rightful rulers of the wasteland whilst harbouring some horrible secret or are just degenerate with crazy pit-fights or something to establish dominance.

Virginia was partially settled by royalists who fled the English Civil War after the lost so you could have some resurgence of flouncy hats and long hair and a rigid caste-based system

I seriously want to have a city built on a NASA crawler if I ever run a game in Texas or Florida

When they're literally right next door? I mean this isn't like them having to travel by blimp to the Commonwealth. Fuckers can walk.

If you don't mind ripping off rivet city/Girls und Panzer; Norfolk could be a have competing small cities on working Aircraft carriers.

Ghouls/bots working on the nuclear engine. At night the cities disengage from the harbor, to prevent typical wasteland raiders/ferals/etc... from boarding.

You know what's funny? Mirelurk meat would be the number 1 export from Virginia Beach as no doubt the beaches would be crawling with them.

I'm for Slavers but Synths are ehhhhh, no thanks.

Lots of virgins.

Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yesssss

That or they are all prudes. Every time I try to do any R4R I get nothing unless it's doing gay shit with a military person.

Falls Church must be an irradiated and blasted hellhole.

Fuck Falls Church, that horrible backwards ghetto, I'm glad I'm never going back

Pre Fallout 4 androids like daughter of Ares mod (despite the oversexualization)

ITT a fuckload of people who have never been to VA

World, that's biggest naval station in the world, user.

These Waltons

An ancient evil dwells at 14 Branchland Court.

They don't go to Ruckersville.

The entire hampton roads area would probably have been completely destroyed, since it would have been a priority target. The entire place would be glowing sea status most likely, a good, but dangerous place to go looking for loot.

However every possible ship that could would have gone underway as soon as the war started, if not before and may or may not have attempted to return to their home port or as close as possible afterwards, you could have something interesting like an entire semi-functional aircraft carrier turned into ghouls living in the ruins of naval station norfolk.

Tons of ol' crumbling Government facilities, especially in NoVa. Every Alphabet Agency you'd care to name has set up shop around here, mainly because of DC. Same with the military.

The sprawling remnants of the world's largest naval facility down in Norfolk, probably nuked. Still a load of robo-whatsits and rare stuff under all the ghouls and radiation.

All kinds of shenanigans up in the Appalachians, from snake handling cults to COOP facilities to Vaults.

Tangier Island somehow got off scott-free and their strangely accented fisherman wrestle with the mutant shellfish in the Chesapeake.

Slavers, sure. Aristocratic as ever, even if they rule over scrapyards instead of large fields of agriculture. They see it as a necessity in a world gone mad, that some labor /has/ to be done, even if no one would do it /willingly/.

The slavers are of course opposed by a self sustaining bureaucracy marching under the motto of the Old Dominion itself: Sic Semper Tyrannus. That they have some suspiciously well-groomed and well-equipped new recruits has absolutely nothing to do with the collapse of the Enclave up in DC, not at all.

Fallout: CWCville. It's like Fallout 4, but with a different setting and improvements.

>underrated post

Let's be very, very clear here: If the Enclave still held power anywhere in the world after the bombs made everywhere go to shit, it'd be in D.C. first, and Virginia second. Virginia, with maybe the exception of Massachusetts or Pennsylvania, holds the most historically relevant and important places in the nation, and has a plethora of canals and riverways that it used to bolster its trade routes in the pre-industrial eras. If your friends are in VA, expect either a high Enclave presence, or a high desire to expand from the Enclave center that is D.C. In fact, expect them to just completely control the bay area- if the Enclave has any clue what it's doing, it's got battlehips all up and down there, and you would not want to fuck with them.

Outside of that, if anyone's keeping a step outside of the enclave's influence, they're doing it in the Appalachia counties. Lots of paths, wildlife, and plants there, which typically means a lot of good soil and isolation for rural communities to grow out from. And, y'know, some of those mountains hold some really nice cave systems...

Zap to the extreme.

Aww, was going to suggest a SuperDuper Mart SuperDuper Center

"IN THE DEAD NORFOLK MIRE, A KING LIES LURKING."

It is the headquarters of a cult worshipping the "One True Christian" and his "son." The caverns underneath are full of yellow-glowing Feral Ghouls. It will get into Dunwich Building levels of horror.

I would set it in Richmond and play up a revitalized CSA that glorifies slavery. Most slaves are bred in and imported from deeper in the South, which would ironically be a relative land of plenty, being largely agriculturally focused and a low priority so far as nuclear attack goes. Anyhow, twist on post-apoc CSA is they are trying to rebuild nation (CSA not USA) and blame damn yankees, federal government, and (anachronistically) abolitionists for nuclear war - and while their society entails human misery of slavery, they argue that slaves are better off taken care of by owners than free to be preyed on by raiders, super mutants, and other yankees. Slave owner class are obsessed with honor and genetic purity. Most slaves are or are said to be mutants. CSA would also be relatively technophobic.

Environment:
>Cement/moderate-high urbanization surrounded by suburbs/low income housing and thick forest
Factions:
>The People's Commonwealth (PCW): Communist SJW faction. Very Dictatorial. Generally nice to newcomers, but are quick to kill anyone too politically distant from them. Are pushovers when it comes to the demands of the AISNV)
>Jaysh alDawlat al'Islamiat fi Shamal Wilayat Farjinia (Army of the Islamic State of Northern Virginia): Muslim who survived the war found themselves going to the only group with Guns and Training for protection; Al-Qeada, who's sleeper cells managed to survive the war to. They carve a small emirate amongst the ruins of Madrassas. Allied with Black Nationalist Protection Units
>The United States of America: Made up of former CIA/NSA/NGA/DOD/etc and their contractor buddies, they make a small but elite corps, protecting the secrets of the former Federal Government, while also conducting black operations and gruesome atrocities to ensure the USA's authority will once again rule over NoVA
>Army of Northern Virginia: The polar opposite of the PCW(Nationalist/conservative faction. Torn between full blown 1488 and more tolerant members), while behaving just about the same. Noticeably smaller than the PCW, but make up the difference with a lot more experience/weapons/money. Significantly whiter.
>Generic Slavers/Raiders: Have a thing for weed, alcohol and cocaine
>MS13: Also survived the fallout. Are the leading gang against the Bloods and Crips. Style themselves as the "Protectors of the NoVA hispanic community" while also enslaving the most.
>The Road Dancers: Based in the Mixing Bowl traffic structure in Springfield. Neutral aligned Mad Max-ers. Love to trade for Gas and metal parts
I may think of more stuff

NoVA is already covered in FO3.

yeah, hardly.

There was so much more than could have been done

Would have just been more of the same ruined govt stuff.

Radboars. Must be stealing that.

3 cultures basically. Got that.

Technology should be limited to small research centers and military bases. There should be a family of cannibalistic Waltons. Got that.

Actually cool laser muskets. Got that.

I was actually thinking of putting in Enclave remnants. Depending on how the players acted, they might have a chance of winning them over.

Glowing Sea Hampton Roads. Got it. It actually might make a good Super Mutant base- SMs are immune to radiation, right?

Military bases, nuclear silos, and a LOT of guns. Got that.

Railgun prototypes- possibly Gauss Rifle factory or something. Got that.

It's Post-3 for first half, second half is Post-4. The players are, as requested by them, part of a second faction of Brotherhood Outcasts that left when the BOS proper turned into Enclave 2.0. Obviously, they are initiates.

My players actually might enjoy something like this (killing Sonichu cultists, not becoming them)

A reborn CSA that bolsters itself using Enclave refugees. Got it!

Holy shit, this is a lot. Sorry for not replying earlier- work.

I wonder if it would be possible to salvage construction equipment and get it working again. I got an idea for a large scale raider group that 'hunt' Vaults, but the process to get inside the damned things needs to actually work.

I mean the obvious way is to get a pipboy to tap into the Vault as seen when the PC gets into other Vaults in 4 (sidenote: Only TWO story DLCs, Howard? You aren't CD Projekt Red), with a face man tricking them into a false sense of security before the raiders get in but I wouldn't know how they'd try to crack the thing if it came to a siege...

Well Mega-Satan, I also got an idea for a quartet of Vaults if you're in the mood to hear it. I was going to use them for a Fallout Indiana game, but I'm never going to get a group for it so figure I'd pass it on.

Please do.

Speaking of Cannibals and Mega-Satans, you could also do a spin on the rumors that the Mega-Rich and Government folks have an evil cannibalistic cult going on, but make in post-apocalyptic and somehow related to the origins of the Big War

My two vaults that I have already involve a vault populated entirely by kleptomaniacs (which, strangely enough, resulted in a utopian Communist society) that was gassed by the Overseer, and a control vault with the misfortune to be located right under a Raider base. The Overseer knows it's a matter of time before the Raiders break through, so they send out a distress signal.

Also, my players want to be:

An unlucky but skilled wasteland wanderer, crack shot, and nifty repairman, who always tries to do the right thing. His three loves are shotguns, sniper rifles, and his old Pip-Boy 2000, all of which have saved him in the most desperate of situations. He is prone to making up verbose and surprisingly eloquent swears when angered.

A plucky, charismatic former Vault Dweller whose first course of action upon seeing a feral ghoul is to say hello, followed promptly with a laser bolt to the face. Despite the horrors of the Wasteland, she manages to stay sane by establishing close relationships with those around her and by writing a journal.

A former raider kid whose surly temper and love for gore and explosions belie his love for poetry and tabletop role-playing games. Through, granted, most of his poems are about his love for gore and explosions. When he gets into a fight, he gets nervous and can only repeat the phrase "You like the sight of your own blood?"

A Robobrain with the wiped but unprogrammed brain of a hippy. He's essentially a stereotypical Fallout 3/NV Robobrain, though he is actually able to act on his friendmaking desires. As such, though he is armed and armored for bear, he is reluctant to kill someone over a "misunderstanding" like opening fire on them. He does know quite a bit about Pre-War topics, though, and wants to become a schoolteacher.

Right, the basic idea is this:

>Four Vaults, all in relative close distance to one another.
>All Vaults are staffed for four different purposes: 'Science', 'Communications', 'Engineering', and 'Security'
>Science Vault is staffed primarily by scientists with a large amount of Nurse Handy 'Assistants'. Facilities geared towards research projects for wasteland survival.
>Communication Vault is staffed by entertainers and telecommunications experts along with a cadre of eyebots. Their purpose is to serve as a central communication hub between the four Vaults and to maintain a communication network after release into the Wasteland.
>Engineering is staffed by...well, guess. They're assisted by a multitude of Mr. Handy's and are stocked with the materials for post-war construction.
>Security is staffed by any and all violent pro-America survivalists Vault-Tec could convince to join the project. They are stocked to the gills with weapons and combat robots. Their purpose is intertwined with the secret experiment of the Vaults.

1/2

>The Experiment: On the surface the plan is for all four Vaults to open at the same time, leading to a strength in numbers scenario against the horrors of the nuked wasteland where everyone plays their part to rebuild America [Stars and Stripes Forever Intensifies]. Communications is meant to keep all Overseers of each Vault in contact to facilitate good relations. In truth, the communication line to Security has been intentionally sabotaged, leading to a total lack of communication with it. The other three Vaults are designed to open as soon as the Wastes are deemed habitable while Security is designed to stay closed until much later.
>Security's Overseer will receive repeated fake updates on the other Vaults, detailing their slow usurpation by Communist Infiltrators. The Overseer will be instructed to be 'Prepared for War' until the day the doors open. The intention is to create an atmosphere of paranoia and a Spartan culture within security for the day the Vault does open and they find their fellow Vault Dwellers and their 'Commnunist' settlement.

Granted the idea needs a lot of work and a lot more fleshing out but I hope it proves interesting.

But tell me, OP, what about the Vault underneath Mt. Trashmore down in Virginia Beach? Man made a mountain (hill, really) out of a landfill so why not build a secret nuclear shelter there? Fill it with the Sons of Virginia reborn - a group of insane patriots who believe that only a true Son of Virginia can and should lead the world. Oh, and then there's the still-lingering military presence in the form of their weaponry.

>The entire hampton roads area would probably have been completely destroyed, since it would have been a priority target
could always just handwave it(like how honestly 99% of all things in the Fallout Franchise work anyways), like maybe say that most of the nukes meant for that area missed for some reason

Night, thread

Odd; feels like a basis for an interesting campaign by itself, rather than just vaults the players owuld stumble into in the course of another game.

Could be a good way to have a surprise antagonist though, especially if the other Vaults employ the PCs to try and get their long lost sister Vault open.

Bump

I've got a Fallout campaign of my own in progress, and I'm trying to think of a good quest hook for one of the Vaults in the area

>All light sources designed to fail a year or so after the Vault closes
>Pip Boys, terminals and other electronics have no graphics or monitors, but are equipped with assistive technology
>A hundred and fifty years or so later, the Vault's population is congenitally blind, but has developed superhuman senses to compensate.
>When the Vault opens, the inhabitants (called 'blue hoods' by the other tribals after the scraps of jumpsuit they tie around their heads) quickly acquire a reputation as brutally cunning hunters, fighters and masters of stealth

I need something that would draw in the player characters. My first thought is that the blue hoods need someone to read the instruction manual for their GECK, the only thing in the vault not written in braile, and the players pick up a radio signal on their Pip Boy (one of them is an ex-vaulter). The problem with this is that even in the raider infested wastelands of Arizona, it isn't that hard to find someone sighted who can read from outside.

male it so they not only need someone to read instructions, but that those instructions are on a computer. A non-assistive computer. And that ITSELF is broken and requires esoteric repairs.

Just layer the requirements.

Also, make them fucking xenophobes. Turn them into boogeymen who are stealing wastelanders to power the machine, who have their eyes/faces gouged out/welded shut when theyre disposed of

>Also, make them fucking xenophobes. Turn them into boogeymen who are stealing wastelanders to power the machine, who have their eyes/faces gouged out/welded shut when theyre disposed of

This is an interesting idea, like an inversion of the giants in the Wizard Knight books. They feared what their human slaves were capable of, given that humans were smaller and more numerous, dexterous and cunning than they were, so they had them all blinded. Meanwhile the blue caps need slaves for things that require vision, so they have to adopt alternate methods of controlling them (in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king and so on)

Maybe they were able to stumble over some kind of Vault Tec all-clear signal machine and yse it to trick the Dwellers into coming out?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dulles_Technology_Corridor

>Remember the Interwebs

In Fallout 3 there were a few places, like Andale, Little Lamplight, and Megaton, which were in actual Virginia. Should I try to incorporate these into the story or not include them?

Danville should be a complete hellhole. I'm speaking from personal experience.

If Norfolk is still around, though, it and Virginia Beach, Newport News, should probably be of some serious importance. I can't imagine what the naval base would be like during the pre-fallout Fallout universe.

Southwest VA, Charlotesville (as mentioned) and along the coast with Virginia Beach/Norfolk/Newport News are pretty different, too.