/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

Tell me about your experiences with the AL or gaming with strangers.

Other urls found in this thread:

sharp-big.tumblr.com/post/145867165885/sharp-big-sorry-for-the-lack-of-updates
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I played a session yesterday with four complete strangers and only one other dude I knew. We set up the game through the internet and basically didn't know each other.

It was surprisingly good. The DM was great. He basically went in with little to zero set up and was able to fit most of our character concepts within his campaign in the bat of an eye. Also made theater of the mind work beautifully.

Very positive experience overall.

That's a particularly shitty OP image.

So, is this thread really the new 5e general thread? If it is, this is that would-be homebrewing idiot from the last version of the thread. I was wondering; I were to open the floor to requests, out of a sincere interest in trying to update/convert races from older editions or even Pathfinder, would anyone be interested in that?

I still need to double-check my written conversions so far, make sure they're remotely balanced, but I'm enjoying the chance to hone my skills.

On a different topic, I know this is technically a world-building matter, but since A: I want it for a 5e D&D setting, and B: the worldbuilding general thread never gives me any answers, but would anons mind if I asked for some help with setting up a post-apocalyptic fantasy setting?

I'd be willing to take a look at setting stuff, though try and keep it brief and just ask the questions you're having trouble with. No need to dump the entire setting and clog up the thread.

So, I'm working on a post-apocalyptic fantasy setting, with the basic background being "world war between magocracies blew everything to hell/warped it into a hellhole", sort of a Eberron (Mournland) meets Fallout setting. I got the background lore fairly clear, but I'm having trouble figuring out the races. Folks mind giving me opinions/ideas? These are the ones I currently am contemplating.

Humans - The Old Race, one of the three who fought in the Great War, survivors and everymen. Invented wizardry, created the warforged, shamelessly reverse-engineered magic from the Aelfar and Uvandir.

Aelfar - The "elves"; originals were High Elves with a culture focused on life magic & death magic, travelled from "Aelfheim" on magical starships made from plants ala Spelljammer. Some went underground after the Black Dawn and have mutated since then into the drow. Unusure if there's only drow or not.

Uvandir - Hill Dwarves with a cultural fondness for Elementalism of Storm, Earth and Fire. Masters of enchanting items and alchemy. Unsure if they've survived, or mutated at all.

Kobolds/Dragonborn - The world had dragons, but they were arrogant bastards who didn't want to get involved with "lesser races". "The Glow" (magical fallout/FEV equivalent) poisoned their eggs, producing kobolds, who now desperately seek a way to ascend to true dragondom. Dragonborn are one-in-a-thousand kobold mutants who they near-worship as being closer to dragons.

Warforged - Sapient golems created by humanity towards the end of the Great War as soldiers. Outliving their war, they now seek to find a new purpose and recover creation-forges to ensure their species can survive.

Orks - Descendants of elves captured by dwarves during the Great War and alchemically mutated into slave-soldiers, until they turned against their masters. Non-evil, but Wicked Fantasy inspired (struggle with blood-lust, philosophy around the holiness of struggle, worship pain, etc) and not very fond of dwarves.

Cont for lack of space.

"Ratfolk" - Humanoid rats inspired by Final Fantasy's Burmecians. Evolved from normal rats innundated with the Glow whilst breeding in the ruins of a human city-state. Forming their culture around the intact texts in the libraries, they're a race of would-be noble warriors and philosophers.

Aranea - Originally spiders engineered by the Aelfar to tend their libraries. Evolved into sapient, magical, shapeshifting spiders as a combination of Glow-induced mutation and a lack of masters to keep them in check.

Genasi - Humans mutated by rampaging, out-of-control elemental energy, or born in areas where elemental energy is out of control. Possibly add more variants like Storm, Metal, Wood, Abyssal or Dread to represent how screwed-up this world is.

Shadar-kai - Elves mutated by over-exposure to necromantic energy during the Black Dawn, turning them into half-living shadow-elves who need stimulation to stay alive.

Merfolk - Humans who tried to find a new place to live by mutating themselves to live underwater. Probably use Zendikar stats, say they can shapeshift between tailed and legged form so they can be relevant.

Sahuagin - Merfolk offshoot who imbued themselves with shark essence to become the guardians and hunters for the merfolk enclaves.

Beastfolk - I can see gnolls, minotaurs, lupins and rakasta kind of working as "random mutations born from the animal kingdom" in this world, but I don't know if they're not stepping on the shoes of existing races.

Anyway... any critiques? Suggestions for other races I could add by spinning off mutations/adaptations of elves, dwarves or orks?

Would someone mind posting the Martial Options PDF? New computer.

Bruh the other "general" is completely unusable because of its image. Making the image uninteresting and irrelevant is a design feature, not a flaw :^)

Sounds to me like you have quite a variety going on as is. I think you could easily cut out everything in the second post and still have a good selection.

I would personally cut out the ratfolk, spiders, shadar-kai, and merfolk, or at least put them all under the general umbrella of beastfolk and make them non-playable. Its the post Apocalypse, but that doesn't mean it's all mutants all day. That also gives you the freedom to selectively add in things like harpies or whatever without needing them all established, since any monster can be an experiment or mutation.

But this general may force people to roll for Oral attributes.

Sounds entertaining

Please user. I'm struggling with the urge to run a full Lewd Magical Realm game as it is.

Where's BoEF when we need it?

Why would you suggest cutting the races down? I do appreciate the input, but I kind of like the option to go a little nuts with the races; what better setting to move away from the standard fantasy lineup of human/elf/dwarf/token redeemed monster/cutesy shortfolk?

Also, like I said in the first post, I'm still not sure if I should make elves & dwarves playable or not, so I'd like to hear opinions on that.

I just played my first game of fifth edition after roughly four years of 4e.

God it's so much better. Everything is easier to understand and there's less shit to worry about.

I suppose it also helps that there aren't fifteen quadrillion supplement books out yet, so it's less to think about when playing and dming.

honestly the only thing I'm looking forward to is an equivalent to Mordekeinens vault for 5e.

Hmm...well, it depends on if you're okay with the entire party running around as mutants and weirdos. In a post Apocalypse, that can spell trouble for entering settlements, depending on how much society has degraded.

If you want everyone to be mutants, then go all in with it. Having the non-mutated versions as non-playable would help with that as well.

I just tend to find having a bunch of race options makes players focus to hard on the mechanics and less on what would be a cool character

I honestly wish more RPGs, whether tabletop or vidya, would just stop adding boring ass humans. It's a fantasy game, stop roleplaying as "myself but cooler."

Not him, they can still be "there" but having all of those as PC races feels a bit bloated. There are 9 races in the PHB and even those don't feel great. There is a reason the origin of teiflings and dragonborn seem to change damn near every edition- they don't have a very unique identity. Adding more races just compounds the bloat.

What makes the ratfolk/merfolk/sahuagin so damn different from the umbrella term beastfolk? Why do the shadar kai need their own race when they are just an elven subrace (and probably not all that different from the drow honestly).

You can include a random settlement the PCs come across made of water buffalo people or whatever, but there is no need to make each thing a player race, nor any need for the PCs to have the same working knowledge of them as they do the other PC races. (Most players have no idea how yuan-ti work for instance, and its fine to just keep it that way. Bring it up in the narrative if it ever becomes important)

I'll add my two cents and say a DM can often put too much on his plate. Personally, I'd want to have my players be able to visit a stereotypical (insert race)'s city and then a few 'normal' cities. That leaves a lot of planning for nothing in particular.

As for your races, I think they're pretty much fine. Just remember balance when you want to stat them, and don't write your races into corners and expect your players to play a race a certain way. Most times players will want to be unique snowflakes but having them play a race and be completely opposite of it's theme is jarring when they're showing their party around their hometown.

So, how do I kill someone without anyone suspecting anything, having Invisibility, Hold Person and Disguise Self? I also have Enlarge/Reduce, in case I need to carry the body since I have 8 strength, though it'd be best to get rid of it on site.

Blade Master + Tunnel Fighter = permanent +1 hit, permanent +1 to AC, and unlimited advantaged attacks of opportunity.

dude that spell is in the PHB. its 7th level wizard/bard.

All of those are concentration spells, can only have 1 up at a time

Except disguise self

I was talking about the 4e book with all the high level enchanted items, The magnificent emporium. Don't know why I called it a vault

Yeah that's some of the trouble, if I could just invis in, knock him out using hold person and attacks, Reduce him to be able to carry him, and then invis out again that would be nice. Getting out is the big problem I think, I can't invis him because then I can't carry him and I can't Reduce him because then it will look suspicious.

Do you know acid splash? You could dissolve the corpse

Be a sorcerer. Grab the metamagic feat subtle spell. Phantasmal Force is probably your best bet from there. It would probably look like he died of a heart attack or something to the people watching.

Nope, just fire bolt, shocking grasp and GFB for damage cantrips.

I personally love AL. The people are nice and generally speaking solid players and DM's. I've learned a lot about being a better DM and player by playing in AL, and I enjoy all the new friends I have made. I'd recommend to everyone here to check out your local AL groups. I can't promise the exact same results but it's a better option than roll20 and other online options imo.

What about non-damage cantrips?

Nub player here, how to open hand monk? Any special shit of feats you need? Apart from putting every possibility upgrade into DEX I mean?

Thaumaturgy, Presti, Dancing Lights, Resistance, Spare the dying, Guidance. I did just remember my white lotus powder though, which when inhaled makes people braindead, obeying all orders they're given. So I guess I tell him to go outside the village, invis after him, kill him and burn the body.

>stop liking what I don't like.

People have varrued tastes user, and for some its generic human.

Re: 2-weapon fighting

Does anybody see an obvious problem with requiring only the offhand weapon to have the Light quality? I had a player ask if he could go rapier/dagger and I can't see a reason not to let him.

no thats pretty much it
some guys like the feat "mobile" but its not as good as increasing dex and then wis.

Max dex and wis, take mobility so you don't have to disengage and can run faster, and hope you don't get cornered or surrounded.

> Thaumaturgy and Prestidigitation
lel

Don't forget prestidigitation to clean the crime scene.

Also, if you have mind control powder, Invis in, make him take it, then order him to lock the door and kill himself after you leave.

Kk, but won't Step of the Wind take care of disengages?
tnx anyhoo!

its not horrible and dual wielding sucks anyway, but i don't really get who would want this except a rogue who wants that sweet sweet 1d8 over 1d4.

Just using Pres as a discount minor illusion really, my cantrips are not the best.

Yeah gotta make sure it's nice and clean. The mission is to kill him with my sword to make it more powerful, so I can't just set his house on fire, make someone else kill him (got some powerful political allies) or make him kill himself.

There's basically no conceivable reason not to houserule in the old size difference option for dual wielding.

(me: )
hypothetically you don't want to spend ki on that ever because you want to save it for flurry and stunning strike.
i still think dex and wis is better than mobile tho, but you wouldn't gimp yourself if you decide to take mobile.
i think which is better actually depends on how your gm likes to design combats and stuff, and how your party plays.

>dual wielding sucks anyway
Yep, more-or-less exactly my thoughts anyway.

Thanks, user.

Just finished up the first in a series of abyss-themed class options last night. Interested in hearing your opinions. What you liked, where you would go in a different direction, anything you feel is unbalanced.

Larger picture at sharp-big.tumblr.com/post/145867165885/sharp-big-sorry-for-the-lack-of-updates

I've got a bard college and barbarian path written up already, as well as abyssal genasi and a whip/dagger weapon feat. I just haven't thrown them into photoshop yet.

It's my sole gripe with Blade; they saddle you with the worst fighting style in the game on a class and archetype that has a shitload of fun stuff to do on bonus actions.

the one thing that pisses me off is how badly they botched berserker

I mean totems are cool and all but I just wanted to RIP AND TEAR

If you could reasonably convert Trox from pathfinder, you'd be my fucking hero

/5eg/, I'm really not sure what Pact Boon to allow my Warlock to have. Pact of the Blade is right out, considering I don't imagine he'll be a close combat fighter, and I've got Sword Coast cantrips for that. The Tome's pretty good, since cantrips are super handy in general, but for Path of the Chain I don't feel like I'm really understanding the point of having familiars. They're really weak in general, and it generally feels like that kind of thing should be relegated to Druids or Rangers.

It gives you more speed and it lets you not waste Ki and your bonus action on disengaging. You can pick it up when you've got high Dex/Wis if you don't want to waste your first ASIs.

I heard that a Warlock/Sorcerer dual class can be a powerhouse. What's the best level split?

I was thinking W3/S17 or W4/S16.

But your familiars can turn invisible and you can cast touch spells through them.

If you don't see the advantages in that, then just go Tome. Not difficult. The truth is that Warlocks spend most of their time Eldritch Blasting anyways so what other features you have are just decorations.

I think you only go deep enough into warlock to get Charisma to your Eldritch Blast damage. The point of the build is to quicken out Eldritch Blasts every turn.

Any ideas for potion effects, /5eg/? The campaign I plan on running will focus on monster hunting, and part of that will be the challenge of identifying creatures and then properly preparing to fight them with potions, oils, traps, etc.

So I need potion effects that are strong and helpful that aren't just +damage vs creature, but also aren't as general as +x to stat. Side effects would also be appreciated, both fluff and mechanical.

If they were going up against a hag, for instance, they might take a potion that gives advantage on spell saves against curses or whatever. The more tailored to a particular type of monster the better.

I had an idea for a 'Potion of Violent Rejuvenation' that would increase physical AS permanently, but only after several hours of painful purging and cleansing of all toxins from the body, as well as adjustment of bone structure and whatever else comes to mind.

Potion of Liquid Spell (Bigby's Crushing Hand)
>Application of this potion instantaneously casts the enchanted spell (Bigby's Crushing Hand) centered on the target.
>A small label reading "DO NOT DRINK" adorns the bottle

Admittedly, the utility of the extra cantrips and ritual book that tome pact offers is very tempting, especially in a game that probably won't get to lvl 20.

Potions of speed. They'll let you run fast enough to chase down really swift monsters, but shave years off your life with each use

...and I forgot the picture like an idiot

The problem with that is players don't feel the pain of their characters. Unless you have some sort of penalty, that is a potion of "ASI for a few days of downtime" which the players will handwave in seconds.

>Admittedly, the utility of the extra cantrips and ritual book that tome pact offers is very tempting, especially in a game that probably won't get to lvl 20.
That was basically my plan. Cantrips out the ass + unlimited mage armor/disguise self. I think there's an invocation that lets you put ritual spells into your Tome, too.

You have to pick two. Getting a 3rd invocation would require 5 levels of warlock.

Hmm... let me see... Going to be tricky, since they're high LA and their big focus is on their multiple arms and brute strength. But, here's a first draft.

Trox
Ability Score Modifier: +2 Strength
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet
Vision: Darkvision
Powerful Build: You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift.
Burrow: A Trox has a Burrow speed of 20 feet.
Grabbing Appendages: A Trox has Advantage on Strength (Athletics) checks made to Grapple a target. Grappled opponents are at a Disadvantage to try and break free of a Trox. Troxes are treated as being Large sized for purposes of determining their ability to grapple.
Frenzy: A Trox may enter a Rage once per long rest, as per the Barbarian class ability. This Frenzy can only be triggered if the Trox is below its maximum hit point value, and the Trox is treated as a Barbarian of equal character level for Raging. If the Trox has any levels in Barbarian, it instead increases its Rage uses by +1 use per day.

What comic is this? Reverse search gives me nothing.

something from Oglaf

Tell me you're baiting.

How do I get the most out of my 7th level druid 4chans? I want to taste the rainbow.

Thanks!

Have sex with animals.

Will that give me some sort of mechanical bonus i'm not aware of?

I haven't played D&D very much i'm afraid, most of the systems i've played have been roleplay heavy and the rules were pretty much left by the wayside.

Getting pregnant while you're in Wild Shape is pretty good.

Speaking of my homebrewing stuff, I don't think anyone spoke up about my draft of the Mul?

Also, anyone have any suggestion about how to handle the Thri-Kreen poisonous bite as a racial feature in 5e? The MM version is a standard "make a Con check or be Poisoned for 1 minute, plus Paralyzed if you failed by 5 or more", but I'm stumped on how to make that work as a PC option.

Mul, 1st Draft:
Ability Score Modifier: +2 Constitution, +1 Strength, +1 Wisdom
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet
Vision: Normal
Tireless: A mul halves the time it requires to complete a short rest or a long rest.
Unending Vitality: A mul has Advantage on Constitution checks.

Go moon druid and buy the monster manual. Kill them all with primal might. Also pick up bark skin because the AC improvement applies to your animal forms.

ability scores and advantage on all con throws are too good. Tireless is useless if the rest of the party still needs to rest, otherwise makes no sense.

Why the +1 wis?
Maybe throw in some dwarf traits instead? Like how half-elves get fey ancestry

During a long rest outdoors or in a hostile area, it lets that person stand look-out for half of the night while the others get their full 8 hours of rest.

I went circle druid because I like the spell selection and the flavour it gives to the character beyond just being a stat block. I'm currently using wildshape for stealth rather than aggression. I also have a high strength/wisdom rating.

Mostly i'm trying to play Edgy Neutral.

Consider picking up Conjure Animals. Littering the field with eight crabs that grapple mooks, or a single giant poisonous snake is pretty badass.

is this shit balanced?

More or less, most of it is fine, but some of it is pretty OP

Fair point. Problem is that Muls have never really been all that beefy. Like, the "need less sleep" crap has been done in every edition. Even 4e did it.

Unending Vitality came from the fact that they had the Incredible Toughness power in 4e, which let them automatically end Ongoing Damage, Dazed, Slowed, Stunned or Weakened once per encounter. I figured that Advantage on Con was basically the same effect. Was I wrong?

Because their alternate to +2 Strength was +2 Wisdom in 4e, plus the Hill Dwarves, the closest to "Athasian" dwarves, get +1 Wis.

As for some dwarf traits... that'd be fun, but, like what? Dwarves get darkvision, free proficiency with battleaxe/handaxe/throwing hammer/warhammer, and Advantage on saving throws vs poison + poison resistance. Dwarven Resilience is, I guess, a semi-fitting trait. It really depends on how we ultimately make the "they're super tough" racial fixation work.

I wonder... maybe my Dark Sun 2e stuff is legible...

Yeah, but not to much avail. Muls were straightforward Str and Con boosts in 2e, with minimums of 10 in each. Their stats in fact explicitly listed as "+2 Str, +1 Con", and their only unique racial trait was noting how much longer they could work before requiring rest.

examples? Im runnning an assassin campaign and i think this would make it more exciting but some things worry me(Garrote)

I'd change Tireless to something else. Maybe at the end of a short rest, you can make some sort of check to remove a level of Exhaustion?

Advantage on all Con saves is too strong. You need to make it against specific stuff, even if its just surviving starvation/thirst or extreme heat. Maybe if you combine it with the first idea it could apply to those checks as well, to counteract the effects of the first level of exhaustion.

Does the +WIs make sense though? I recommend you follow the DMG's advice and start with an existing race. For example:
>mountain dwarf
>Major mechanical benefit: +2 CON
>Major mechanical benefit: +2 STR
>Minor mechanical benefit: Poision Advantage/Resist
>Minor mechanical benefit: Darkvision
>Ribbon: Med armor Proficiency
>Ribbon: hammer, axe profieiency
>Minor mechanical drawback: 25ft move speed

Change features to ones of equivalent power until you have a mul.

Hmm, what about just automatically making it that a Mul recovers 1 level of Exhaustion with a Short Rest, and 2 levels with a Long Rest? This makes it much easier for Muls to keep on trekking even as other races pass out around them.

As for Unending Vitality... what about Advantage on Con checks against or to remove Blinded, Deafened, Paralyzed, Poisoned or Stunned?

Here is my suggestion for the Mul, based on this logic:
>Major mechanical benefit: +2 CON
>Major mechanical benefit: +2 STR
>Minor mechanical benefit: Can exert moderate effort , such as walking or crafting, during a long rest and still gain benefits of such. Must take a normal long rest before using this feature again.
>Ribbon: extra initial level of exhaustion that causes no detrimental effect
>Ribbon: hammer, pick profieiency

I think 1 on a short rest without a check might be a bit much, as that means a Mul will basically never die of thirst. Ever.

Maybe instead you could write a rule that makes them treat their exhaustion as 1 level lower than it is currently, so they basically ignore the effects of the first level they gain, but still count as having one. Then when they gain another they'll have 2 levels, but still only suffer the level 1 effects. That's less open to abuse than the recover on short rest option, but it does mean that a Mul can shrug off those sorts of effects more easily.

I think you could also add the 2 levels recovered on a long rest with that, since it requires they drink and eat something, but will bring them up back to normal much faster.

I think just a bonus against all of those conditions is the wrong way to go, since most of them don't really work with what a Mul is supposed to be tough against, and that includes most Con checks anyway.

Some of it's okay but I think once we get to a certain point it starts getting worse and worse.

It's kind of a pointless feature if the rest of the party has to stop and pass out, remember you can only travel as fast as your slowest member.

I literally just suggested that in

Sorry. Didn't refresh or see it before I posted. I think it's a good idea though.

Some familiars can turn invisible.
You can view the world with your familiar's senses and send it ahead to scout; it's very tiny and thus easy to not notice (especially if you have a familiar that looks like a normal animal).

You can cast Touch-ranged spells through them.

They can watch your back; you don't need to be viewing through their senses to receive information from them that they can see if they're close enough to communicate telepathically (100 feet). You could have them guard things beyond that range with orders to fly in the direction you left.

They can take the Help action to aid you and party members in various tasks. They have their own turns, so you can use the familiar as a miniature Advantage bot for one of your frontliners.

If they're flight-capable, you can have them retrieve or operate distant objects. Quasits, owls, pseudodragons, and imps could all easily fly a grappling hook and (silk) rope onto a cliff face or top of a building and secure it for you, no muss, no fuss.

Actually nevermind this seems to be a new version

Nothing really broken as far as I can tell, just some things that would needlessly complicate the game IMO, plus giving every martial superiority dice doesn't feel right

On top of that some of the "balancing" changes are unnecessary, most, even

>giving every martial superiority dice doesn't feel right
That's not what Martial Dice are.

Ah, sorry, I didn't mean to imply that muls didn't still need to get ahold of food and water during their short rest to remove exhaustion. But, simply "ignore 1 level of penalties from exhaustion" may be the better way to go.

What would be a better way to handle their sheer "can't kill 'em with an axe to the head" stubborn vitality than those Advantages? I'm open to suggestions, but thank you all for offering your honest critique.

By the way, what happened to Trox-requesting user? Nobody ever did speak up on

I think advantage and resistance against poison might actually be the best option. They are supposed to be half-dwarf, and Dwarven Resilience suits them fine.

Maybe you could also give them another minor feature that reflects some human vitality as well though. The only thing I can think of is letting them add 1/2 proficiency to Con saves if they don't have proficiency already, but that might be a bit much.

Possibilities:
> +1 hp per level, like Hill Dwarf
> 1/ short/long rest damage reducing reaction, like Goliath
> 1/ Long rest, when you would drop to 0hp, instead go to 1 hp, like half-orc
> Gain either CON mod or Prof bonus in temp HP after every rest
> Always on, but very minor damage reduction, like lvl 1-10 is DR/1, 11-15 is DR/2, and 16-20 is DR/3