How would one go about playing a game in the setting of Sunless Sea or Fallen London...

How would one go about playing a game in the setting of Sunless Sea or Fallen London? The setting is fascinating and I feel it would function quite well as tabletop, but I don't know what type of system I would use.

Other urls found in this thread:

onesevendesign.com/knifeandcandle/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

CoC would probably work pretty well for this.

I remember seeing a pdf homebrew for Fallen London, but I didn's save it, unfortunately.

I was thinking about using CoC because of it's insanity rules and whatnot. Which edition would you recommend?

Fuck that eye thing. Nothing made me want to NOPE the fuck back to port faster than that thing until I realized it was harmless.

>harmless
Yeah until you realize it increases terror by 1 every second it's open

That eye looks like a boobie.

That's no worse than being around that sun machine in the south-western corner.

THESUNTHESUNTHESUN!

I've seen FATE suggested for it given the heavy narrative focus

UNTHESUNTHESUNTHESUNTHESUNTHESUNTH
You can go behind it. Go into the light my child

I GM-d a game in the Savage Worlds system. It was a lot of fun, but ended with the PC-s dying horribly.

Any stories worth sharing about it?

I think you did it right then. Also, seconding

Do tell more!

Dawn Machine please go, you'll never be a real god

I always thought of using sunless sea as a campaign idea. Too bad i found it too hard to get past the beginning of the game. Any tips on how to get into it without grinding for hours and hours?

Buy a fuckton of fuel and go to the surface. Run errands. You'll lose crew, but you'll gain enough money to buy a house and plenty of extra crew after a few trips up

You need to embrace some of the grind. Take short trips to chart your close sea and begin plotting routes. You always want to hit every port on the way for the free fuel for port reports.

When you get to the Salt Lions if you are prepared with cargo space, you can boost yourself away from your initial poverty, but there's still a lot of wheedling to be done.

Look into odder pursuits: they typically offer you better prices. Running basic commodities should only be done if it's a part of your greater voyage.

Failbetter are apparently working on a tabletop.

Oh shit really? That's awesome

onesevendesign.com/knifeandcandle/

No word for a while (like, years). Probably dead at this point.

What this user said
>You need to embrace some of the grind. Take short trips to chart your close sea and begin plotting routes. You always want to hit every port on the way for the free fuel for port reports.

On your first voyage, chart the area closest to you. Find Salt Lions. When you return, cash from port reports (and other things you might have picked) should be enough to cover the fee at Lions. Run that.

Take commisions from Admiralty, but don't submit Strategic Information at once. Take the second commision, take the second piece of SI and comvine two to form Vital Intelligence. It pays better and opens a very lucrative venue.

Do jobs from Venturing Trader when you can. He pays more than market price for the things he wants.

Find Corral Principalities and do their quests. Scintillack you get pays good.

Be friends with Blind bruiser. His errands are a pain, but he's a reliable seller forfilled Mirrorcatch boxes that does not steal them.

Smuggling Red Honey is lucrative, if you don't mind being literaly worse than Hitler.

>Running basic commodities should only be done if it's a part of your greater voyage.

This. Exploration and pursuing stories pays much more (And much more fun)than milk runs.

>Buy a fuckton of fuel and go to the surface.

This should be done with a ship with bigger capacity than the starting one. With your starting ship you won't haul enough coffee to really profit. And either, it's not for coffee profit you're going for, the Mirrorcatch profit is where it's at. In any case, that's not an early game venture.

They've had a survey in FL for a potential kickstarter for a tabletop, so I guess that's something different from your link.

It was a fun game. My players decided to play two brothers who were always trying to get rich, but always managed to piss of everyone so they always had to flee - that's how they ended up in Fallen London.
The thing was, it seemed their backstories actually influenced their dice luck. The adventure went off rails extremely quickly, because they rolled horribly in every single crucial moment.

I made them start in the prison there (like in the browser game), and after many failures they finally got to escape. (But not before angering the Widow by killing her man inside, and managing to collect a hefty curse)
I planned the prison part to be over in like an hour, but they spent two sessions there.

After that, I set them loose on Fallen London. We used the map of the city, and I made rules for encounters when they traveled between the places. They really enjoyed the sandbox-y but dangerous freedom of it all.

They allied themselves with the Smiling Man to get back at the Widow, but they abandoned that plan quickly, and made a deal with a Deviless instead. She gave them a quite demanding task, but they managed to pay off some Rattus faber to help them, so they solved it. (It was to steal an exceptional rose from a rival devil's garden)

They managed to get indebted to a tiger from the Labyrinth, and she made them do some quite unpleasant tasks, which they barely survived - hunting down a fugitive in the forgotten quarter can be dangerous.

They stole something they shoulédn't have, so they invoked Salt's curse, and managed to ailienate the sailors they originally went to get help from.

Because they neglected their alliance with the Smiling Man, and they were still hunted by the Widow, they got into trouble again, and then they even killed some of the orphans of the Ratway, so they couldn't even hide anymore. They wanted to leave Fallen London and go to the Zee, but they got extremely unlucky again, and died trying.

All in all it was an awesome little game, about 10 sessions or so. If you like a few pointers but also want to make up your own stuff, Fallen London is a really awesome setting. It has plenty of atmosphere and lots of pointers and names, but you need your creativity to make up the details.

He's a Cheery Man, not a Smiling Man.

And isn't death in London not quite permanent, unless it was very gruesome or done with certasin tricks? Wouldn't they have respawned later, or that was not the case.

But that's details. Overall this sounds like it was fun. You did good, would ove to play in your game

Savage Worlds has rules for sanity and reason.

They also have the Weird Wars, Deadlands, and Rippers settings which you could use as influence/draw materials from.

Death is only permanent if you give yourself to the Sea, no one comes back if they are disposed of there.

People dont normally die, it's more of an inconvenience to you but there are many ways to get your life back, those who decide they are done with their life wrap themselves in bandages and make trips to the Tomb Colonies like Venderbight to waste away into the crypts.

Sunless Sea would make a great board game, Fallen London would be a great D? RPG

I would do it in the setting of Fallen London but the first issue is getting the players to understand the strangeness and unusual rules of London and the Undersea, it would be a more social RPG then combative and the use of espionage and cunning would be the more dominant traits of the game.

Dont get me wrong, combat would still be there but it would not be the focus.

I've just started one in GURPS, it's going great. The party has escaped a stalactite prison by landing on a masquerade party blimp and have taken a job from the cheery man in exchange for him clearing their names.

*Unterzee (FTFY)

Oh yes, it is. I forgot since I translated stuff to my native language and it sounded better with smiling there.

As for the return from death: one of them actually died once during the game, but here they failed so spectacularly (and against such powerful opponents) that it would have been unrealistic for them not to dispose of the competition.

They managed to hijack a carriage they wanted to plant explosives on, bur then they failed to notice the people following them, they critically failed the roll to properly rig up the explosives, and then they were unable to run away from it before it blew up because the people chasing them were attacking.

And there are ways to die permanently in Fallen London - there is that black armband society which is exactly about that if I remember corectly.

Death is permanent if it's caused by old age, Cantigaster Venom or some other nasty reason that would not leave an intact body, like being eaten or chopped into very many pieces.. Honestly I don't know if being killed in London and dumped in wide zee before they respawn would work, but in theory it seems possible.

Black Ribbon society. And yes, being blown to smithereens would definitely kill you for good.

Here's the main book for it, someone mentioned a book and I have a copy. I've been running a game with some friends over google hangouts. This system uses the FATE rules and so far it has worked out pretty well. My players keep forgetting they can use the FATE points but other than that we've all enjoyed it.

Here's the Character sheet that came with it.

And a reference sheet (with skills and target numbers etc)

Cheat your way into a starting nest egg.

Like the advice from , , and is technically good, but is not what you need.

Start the game. Immediately sell all your fuel and supplies. Sell the guidebook. Sell your boat, buying the flimsy raft. When the Blind bruiser shows up, take his offer, then sell everything but one fuel. Take the boat out of the dock and crash it. But you died with a bunch of cash, so pick Salvager or whatever legacy lets you take half the cash from your last captain. Then do this again. And again. After about 5 repetitions your cash flow is going to level off, and captain 6 or 7 can ACTUALLY start the game. Buy a decent forward gun and start following the advice in as the Salt Lions are usually a safe enough run for plenty of cash.

But doing it this way sets you up with enough of a cash reserve that if a monster fucks you up, it doesn't send you into a failure spiral.

>Cheat
At least you use the right word.

Poor form, It's not too hard to get onto your feet once you die a few times. It's the underzee, you're going to die, dont try to sneak around that

Driftwood Verses

That looks pretty neat, but I've never looked into LotFP. What's it like?