/5eg/ D&D 5E General: Race War Edition

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

What are some of the more interesting non-standard races for 5e? Bring out your Warforged and your Thri-Kreen.

Does anyone have Certs for Adventurer's League stuff? I know you don't need them to play but I was going to to some conventions and was hoping to Trade at the Fai Chen trading post.

The Zendikar vampire is interesting, despite all the hate it gets

A question to ponder:
Can you remove inspiration from 5e entirely or is it mechanically necessary?

You can't really remove bardic inspiration

Regular inspiration is whatever, but as a DM there is no real reason to take it away, it makes your job easier

You mean the bard feature or the optional rule barely anyone uses?

Since most DMs seem to forget about it entirely I would tend to say it is completely unnecessary.

If anything it makes things harder for you. Nobody remembers they have it and you have to remind them to use it if you want to give them any more, and on the off chance they do remember it you have to make sure you're not pissing anyone off by over-rewarding one player

Does anybody actually not use feats? It seems really dumb to leave out one of the most mechanically interesting feature. I get that they wanted to avoid the Pathfinder over-reliance on multiple feats to create a build, but removing them seems retarded.

Why do you need to remind them? They have to manage their resources it's not your job
If a player doesn't use inspiration and later on does something that merits it just give it to them, it's not like they stack, and if they forgot to use it it's their fault
And inspiration is a minor mechanic to encourage roleplaying, if one player does a lot of inspiration-worthy things he absolutely deserves it, the others should roleplay more

Either way it's not like you have to grant it, it's literally just a minor mechanical reward you as the DM have the option of granting instead of having to come up with BS reasons to give advantage when someone comes up with something cool

Haven't played a non-variant human high enough that I couldn't get a main ability score increase. I like dark vision and get ancestry better than a lot of the feats.

Honestly the whole "optional" thing is pretty dumb in my opinion

I would walk out of any game if the DM said there are no feats allowed, and I don't even use them all that much

But then again I would walk out of any game where the DM disallowsanything that isn't UA or homebrew

hey /5eg/ im making a tinker gnome wizard and need either more ideas for little clockwork gadgets and toys or some splat that expands upon the idea a tiny bit.

So my brother is gonna start a campaign to give me a break from foreverDM duty, and since I always play a fighter, paladin or rogue when I get to play, I decided to give wizarding a shot

Thing is, he said at character creation that I have a crystal necklace that serves as my arcane focus, and because of how magic works in his setting I always need to have it on me to cast any spells

This seems like a crazy nerf to me, basically giving every single spell a material component and making it extremely easy to basically invalidate my character completely by taking away the damn thing

Am I crazy for thinking that's terrible? Is it not as bad as I feel it is?

I want to play a martial that uses a simple axe with two hands. Does dueling or great weapon master apply to versatile weapons wielded with both hands?

Some user made a "machinist" homebrew class based around gadgets and whatnot, maybe someone saved it

GWM does

neither. with dueling, you have a weapon in both hands. great weapon master requires heavy property. versatile is practically worthless.

What are some clever uses of cantrips?

A druid buddy in a game I'm playing has become a drug dealer. He's constantly manufacturing opium by causing a poppy he carries around to blossom, from which he chops off the blossom and harvests the seeds.

He's got jugs of the stuff.

play a conjuration wizard, and if you're ever de-necklaced, conjure the necklace and put it back on with minor conjuration.

Oh good point, I didnt notice the heavy part

4E has a lot of options for machinist-y stuff, but I don't know how much that helps. I remember an artificer class that would eventually replace body parts with robot parts, that was pretty cool.

I am planning to play a conjurer, I even took keen mind as my variant human feat so I could conjure more intricate things

But I feel he'll tell me I need the necklace to use minor conjuration

Well, have a second one conjured at almost all times so you need to be denecklaced twice.

Does anyone have any the Middle Finger of Vecna homebrew behind the paywall. I wanna support but I'm a poorfag and a player of mine is asking for them.

There's a paywall? I thought it was all free on their site

Honestly, it's no worse than being a fighter and worrying about getting disarmed. Lose your equipment, and you can't do much.

A fighter without a weapon is still strong, sure, but a weapon held in the hand is easier to lose than a necklace. And you can make it even harder to remove. Reinforce it with chain, run rope under your arms and tie it on, etc. If there's one item you're dependent on for your powers, take some precautions.

If the DM takes your focus away constantly, sure, that would be irritating. But a DM like that is gonna be irritating regardless. Making your magic dependent on an item is not, by itself, a huge problem.

I think I'll just swallow it or something

GOLIATH Master race reporting in. Daily reminder if you're not a glorious Goliath chucking rocks and wrestling fools, you're literally baby tier gaming.

oh, you only have to have it on your person?

Well then, you know the solution.

Now I want to play a high-as-fuck druid with an endless supply of marijuana... Take all illusion spells and trip balls. Is Hypnotic Pattern on the druid's list?

Some of it is only for patreon supporters.

just have your friend buy it then.

He wasn't exactly clear on whether I gotta use it to channel stuff or not, so yeah, I might have to go the watch route

You have a point, but a disarmed battlemaster is still much more useful than a spell-less wizard

I think I'll pump dex and get myself a crossbow just in case

You seem to have great weapon master and great weapon fighting confused. (or why bring up duelist fighting style?) Great weapon fighting style works with a versatile weapon held in two hands. The feat Great Weapon Master does not.

So tomorrow night I am going to an adventuring league game and one of the players is planing to betray the party somehow, is there a way I can get his character killed? It's a 3rd level druid and I'm a third level fighter, we are doing curse of strahd, and are currently in Valaki. I know PvP is banned but I am looking for q subtle way to get his character killed in the upcoming adventures.

Would it be too much prying to ask why, exactly, you plan on doing something this shitty and passive aggressive?

It's bait, look at the post, really look at it

Holy shit dude, you again? Just drop it already. Your story this time doesn't even make sense. If one were "planning to betray the party", that's PvP, which, as you said, is banned and you could call him out on it.

No I can't call him out on it because j have no proof and he's not planning to attack the party directly he's planning to tip off strahd while we are vulnerable so that he attacks. The DM is also a real hardass so he'll gladly let us die

Unless I get this guyt killed first.

Kill yourself, then.

I don't mean in game. I mean open your wrists.

Remember, it's down the lane, not across the street.

the question was great weapon master and I referenced great weapon master in my answer.

I'm working on a homebrew setting.

The setting is going to be very guild based, much like Ravnica.

In the setting will be a hidden guild that I won't tell the player about. Instead, I will hide clues to the existence of the hidden guild in the materials I give the other players.

If they figure it out, and ask to play as the hidden guild, I will give them the hidden guild materials, as well as a secret objective, that may prove to be counter to the goals of the other party members.

Thoughts?

no one is going to figure it out user

shit, trip quads does make it highly unlikely. Why you gotta be so negative?

Though it isn't too bad of a problem if nobody figures it out.

I think agendas, especially ones going against the party, should be initiated by the player, not just handed by the GM. The hidden guild is cool though, just let them come up with a mission that they think fits their character, that goes well with the guild's philosophy/goals.

Monster hunter user here, looking for advice on handling oils? I was thinking a general +1d6 or so damage against the specific type of creature, nothing too complex, but I like effects that aren't straight damage.

For instance, a lycanthrope oil might force a lycanthrope to save against a DC or revert back to their humanoid form, or outright prevent them from shifting if they're hit while in their humanoid form. A ghost oil could hit an incorporeal specter or force them to save against a DC or return to the material plane.

Sounds good

Carry on

I think you should keep it a secret from everyone, but also leave clues for everyone.

To use Ravnica as an example, Dimir is supposed to be way bigger of a secret than it is. It's kind of ruined but the fact everyone knows there's 10 guilds, but they sort of handwave that by having public offices.

If there's not a big charter or pact listing all of the guilds on it, or there's not a set number, having a shadowy mysterious guild can work well.

What the fuck is up with kuo-toa naming conventions?
I'd never heard much about kuo-toa until I was skimming through Out Of The Abyss and I just can't get over them
Right next to the gritty evil death rape kingdom of the drow are a race of weirdo fish people with names like Slaartibartfast?
not literally that but you get my point. Sluubludop? Sloopidoop? Really?

A lot of names in the underdark are really dumb. Even a few drow names are silly sounding.

Well me and my players had a blast playing that part of the adventure.

You will definitely get some laughs with these names. The problem I encountered was that noone could remember the names of the NPCs.

What are the best classes for a Halfling?

Sounds lame. why don't you think of an alternate effect. You DnD players are all about DAMAGE DAMAGE DAMAGE, it's a shame you'll never get to experience true roleplaying.

All classes are more or less good, but a halfling gets the most benefits over other classes as a rogue or ranger

I would say ranged attackers like rogues, fighters and rangers work well.

Monk is also really great, and can make great use of Halfling Nimbleness, while the monk makes up for your lower movement as Halfling.

That's nice friend, thanks for the input, bye-bye!

Rogue, bard, wizard,same as it's always been, next question.

I mean seriously, that's what passes for a a discussion question? I unironically pulled off a fucking halfling great sword fighter in fucking 3.5 by Power Attacking shit constantly. 5e is the first edition of DnD that isn't horrible broken. And you ruin it by asking what kind of race you need to play to be maximized? For the first time in HISTORY you can finally play what you want user. The world is your oyster.

Your homebrew is unimaginative and unsubtle to the point of inanity. Dismissing an uncomfortable truth because it highlights a personal flaw, is not the path to improving it.

> monk
> ranger
> great

Uhh have you actually played either of those classes?

>wizard as Halfling
What? The Halfling gets pretty much nothing that would be useful for a wizard, the stats as well as the abilities would be better on Dex characters.

Martials can't compare to the caster masterrace.

The question wasn't "What is the best class". I just said what works good for a Halfling.

Also both Ranger and Monk aren't that bad if you ignore the Beastmaster and Wot4E Monk

Gee, that would have been a great reply if I was the same guy!
But, oh my, look at the time! You best be goin' now, later tater!

Does illusion still have all the Shadow spells? I haven't played this yet, still going off 3.PF.

What about Sorcerer?

I'll have to try a Rogue, maybe an Arcane Trickster..

Even beastmaster is significantly better as a halfling because you get to ride the pet and it allows it to do some nifty shit

What shadow spells do you mean? Darkness?

Monks are great, and Rangers can do well. Nothing he said was wrong.

Shadow Evocation, Shadow Conjuration, etc. The illusion spells where you make semi-real shadows.

Rogue, fighter, bard, and warlock are all great for the original two halfling races, and cleric, druid, and monk work grand with the ghostwise subrace from scag.

Oh, nah, those don't exist in 5e

There is a feature that lets you conjure small stuff in the conjuration school and one that makes your illusions real in the illusion school, but nothing about shadows AFAIK

No, instead the illusionist wizard can, at level 14, turn aspects of their illusion real. This makes it technically the most broken class in the game, depending on the setting.

>I make an illusion of a 15x15x15 cube of an antimatter black hole.
>I make it real

Martial can do more damage in a single turn than casters can.

By that logic cunjurer is even more broken

>I conjure a 3×3×3 cube of the sun
>at level 2

how can a martial compete with

Yeah, it's crazy. But on a pure scale stage, a super dense anti-matter neutron star being created seems like a solar system destroying event, at least.

Rate my race you guys

Jackborn

Like Tieflings or Aasimar, Jackborn are planetouched who somewhere in their lineage have interbred with a celestial, only instead of either plane, it was in fact with a trickster god.
Jackborn are personally averse to Lawful alignments, and because of their heritage, have an inclination for classes that rely on wit and charisma, making for good Bards, Sorcerers, , dreadful Paladins or Warriors, and decent everything else.

Race Features:
A) +2 Cha +1 Wis
B) Darkvision (mostly because both Tieflings and Aasimars have it)
C) Gain Arcane Resistance (because tiefligs have fire, aasimar have Celestial and Necrotic)
D) Can cast the Vicious Mockery cantrip. At 3rd level, can cast Disguise Self [as2nd lvl] 1/day. At 5th level, Mirror Image (1/day) (use CHA for DCs)
E) Applecasting: Can cast Animal Friendship with Snakes, Coyotes, Spiders and Magpies. Has disadvantage on actions against Owls, Turtles, Cats or Goats
>pls be gentle, I'm new

As the others said, sadly there aren't really shadow spells in 5e. But check out the Shadow Sorcerer Origin from the Underdark UA. Maybe they are what you want.

But if illusions are more what you are looking for just make an Illusion Wizard.

Rules question, since we're talking about level 14 illusion wizards

Can I create an illusion on a wall of a door, make the door real, and then go through the door to the other side of the wall?

Think cartoon magic. Roadrunner, Bugs Bunny type stuff. That's what I want to do.

Except wizard is a caster so it's automatically better than ranger or rogue or monk. A five percent difference on your Dexyerity rolls doesn't make a goddamn difference in Caster Edition 2.0.

If you want a balanced martial, play 4e. Otherwise, quit complaining.

>averse to Lawful alignments
So they have reverse autism?

>Arcane Resistance
No such thing exists bud, has to be a damage type

Ranger and monk ARE that bad, user. Gimp yourself if you want, but you literally asked what classes were best. The answer is cleric, druid, and wizard. Which are the most powerful classes in 5e.

>muh fanfic

Kill yourself

But it's cute, reminds me of my trickery cleric I could never get shit done with, but at least the rp was decent

Monks are 3.5 tier and both ranger paths are complete shit. Favored enemy would have been better.

No, because you're not really "creating" but actually altering an already existing thing, in fact it could be argued you are damaging the wall and materialized illusions cannot do damage

That said, I would totally allow it, that's hilarious

First off, I wasn't the one asking if you can read.

I read his question as what classes does a Halfling work great with. And the right answer is the one I gave.

But sure, go on ahead and tell everyone that they should make a Moon Druid, Bard or Wizard regardless of their race.

>reverse autistic

In a way, yeah. To have a jackborn in your family isn't supposed to be considered a curse, or a good omen, but just a gigantic eye roll. Like when one of your kids goes to school for "acting" instead of accounting

>damage type
I was supposed to have corrected that into Necrotic, sorry

I'd put warlock, cleric, and sorc in that list too. Oh, and rogues.

But yeah. Regardless of race, people should generally avoid:

Rangers
Fighters
Barbarians
Monks
Paladins

As these classes are bottom of the barrel.

>The object can't deal damage or otherwise
directly harm anyone.

READ NIGGA READ

Don't you have 4e or 3.pf threads to shitpost in?

why necrotic? I understand giving them a damage type resistance, but why, particularly necrotic?

Psychic damage resistance would make more sense to me.

The object isn't damaging anyone. The object is destroyed/consumed by the total energy explosion. The total energy explosion is what's damaging people.

Can anybody help me with a background for my next character? I'm playing a Shadow Sorcerer Human with the Healer Feat but I have no idea on how to make that come together in a character.

the funny thing is with those ASIs they actually make pretty good Paladins.

>monks are bad

lol

>Owls, Turtles, Cats or Goats

For what contrived reason? Are they just afraid of witches or something?

>shit, the post

A doctor that relies on shadowmagic you say?

First of all, you probably can't make an illusion of something you don't know anything about. Second of all, if the DM lets the Wizard get away with that then it might be better to just find another game.

That would make a neat Cleric domain, actually. Is there an existing cleric domain that replicates a witch doctor well with just refluffing?

>Paladins bad in any conceivable way

Straight up lies nigga.

I don't know about clerics, but it would also make for a nice warlock pact option. Both would work. The cleric is more of a worshipper, the warlock a client.