Why does this still exist?

Why does this still exist?

Probably some evil plot of Asmodeus or Vecna to force players to roll shitty dice.

Because it's a platonic solid.

What, shit posting on tg? No idea

Yeah, why don't people just use a d20 and divide the result by 5?

It's objectively better.

This, people should only use platonic dices, throw away that d10.

>Why does this still exist?
Why not?

There are a number of alternatives that are clearly superior.

See, I know it sounds like you're agreeing with me...

for you to drop on the floor and forget about
until you step on it one night

Already done.

Because it's the simplest and most efficient way to determine results of 1-4 in a random fashion.

>a d8 with repeating numbers
>bottom of shoes painted with numbers
>a d12 with repating numbers
>some kind of strange gem

Nah, the caltrop still works.

>Because it's the simplest and most efficient way
It doesn't roll and it's hard to pick up. Hardly the most efficient.

>Because it's the simplest and most efficient way to determine results of 1-4 in a random fashion.
Wrong, see: Nothing is more efficient than using the die that everyone already has.

>There are a number of alternatives that are clearly superior.
Superior because?

>clearly superior
Oh?

>I'm incapable of distinguishing my opinion from fact. I am a typical self-absorbed retard.

>hard to pick up

>dices
"Dice" is plural.

Because Time Wizards! Can't be played without tetrahedron-shaped d4s.

Are your fingers literally sausages?

Functionality isn't just opinion. People go slower and have more trouble with conventional d4s.

Perfect for trapping a dark room

it's easy to pick up, just bait it with some delicious human flesh, it'll embed itself and start feeding, you should have plenty of time to read the result before you black out

Are you serious? It's objectively hard to pick up unless your hands are rubberized and covered in suckers or something.

Not everyone has long-ass hooker nails, sissyboi

Magic missile

People will vehemently defend shit just because that's the way it is.

>Nothing is more efficient than using the die that everyone already has.
I've never seen a dice set that didn't come with at least a single d4.

Well, unless it was just a set of d6s.

Who the fuck has trouble with d4s?!

>It doesn't roll?
Nigga, it doesn't need to roll. Shake it slightly in your hand and then throw it high enough so that it can turn a bit, but not high enough that it rockets off.
Dice shouldn't roll around a lot in the first place. A bit, yes, but not a lot. That's where the fucking bias comes in.

>It's hard to pick up!
You fucking wat?

Or those WoD sets with 10 d10s

>Shake it slightly in your hand and then throw it high enough so that it can turn a bit, but not high enough that it rockets off.
It's so shitty, it requires its own, slower, more obnoxious technique.

>You fucking wat?
It's smaller on the top than the bottom with enough of an angle that it wants to slide out of your hands. I'm not saying it can't be done, but you can't snatch it up like other dice. Hell, you can easily snag a handful of other dice. Try doing that with d4s.

>It's so shitty, it requires its own, slower, more obnoxious technique.
And there's always that one, uncoordinated guy who manages to fling it off the table.

Unless your hands are so greasy that the d4 slides off your fingers you shouldn't have a problem with it. But no, you decided Cheetos were more important than clean dice.

>not letting all your dice bounce

I would never touch any of those abominations.

For playing LOS MAGOS DEL TIEMPO

>a dodecahedron is an abomination
Okay, dude.

how much damage would a fucking dagger/club do then, huh?

>what's a platonic solid?
>any shape that doesn't want to fuck you

Aren't you supposed to slap the dice in that?

>not having spider fingers
>in current year
Do you even post on Veeky Forums?

>how much damage would a fucking dagger/club do then, huh?
This much.

ivy isn't damage, it just itches

Because it's a distinguishable shape (rather than the repeating d12 and d8 you've posted here) and a platonic solid (rather than these alternate, weird shapes you've posted)

So a d4.
Okay, so what's wrong with using the pyramid one?

For low level monks

Obnoxious to "roll" (because it doesn't roll). Obnoxious to pick up (because of the angle).

I like the Crystal Cast D4 because it is still a unique shape. Well I guess techinally it's a D12 but there are only 4 numbered faces and it rolls just fine.

Must be you, because I've never had a problem with either of those things.

Those repeating dice are a real pain in the ass when you have multiple types of die on the table. I used to own some tetrahedral D10s and they were forever getting mixed in with the D20s.

You're alone in that argument. Literally nobody I know has an issue picking up a d4 or rolling it.

Crystal Caste D4 master race checking in.

1. Unique shape
2. Actually rolls
3. Looks nice
4. Not a caltrop
5. Easy to pick up with my fat, sasuage fingers covered in greasy orange Cheeto dust.

Cons: not as cheap as traditional D4 caltrops.

It is an opinion. Heres why: no one in any of my groups spanning almost 20 years if games has ever complained about d4 being hard to use in any way, shape, or form.

I can only assume your life is devoid of anything but ttrpg's if you have the time and inclination to complain about d4's.

>objectively hard to pick up

I dont think you understand what objectively means. Or you are one of the retards that assumes his experience defines reality.

Please cite your case studies.

Because they're the best dice to use as character tokens.

Literally no one I know can stand the things. When I first discovered crystal d4s (which, by the way, still suck--they just suck less than standard d4s), everybody wanted one. When I got a bunch of 12-sided d4s, everybody transferred over to those. I don't think that a standard d4 has hit the table in literally years.

Yeah, I had some 20-sided d10s I got with Paranoia way back in the day, and they were always getting mixed up with d20s. However, aside from total noobs who are still having trouble telling d8s from d10s, I've never seen anybody mix up a 12-sided, roman numeral d4 with an actual d12. I guess it might be more of an issue if your d12s had the same design / color scheme, but there are several different designs of roman numeral d4s, so you could just use the one that looked different. Besides, in most games d12s don't see that much play anyway. (I'll add that gamescience 8-sided d4s have blunted points, making them distinctive.)

You are blatantly lying. Why would anyone prefer a fucking re-skinned d12 to a d4? Nobody ever uses d12's, not even barbarians.

If it was tradition to eat with shoes on your hands, you'd be vehemently defending that. "Why would anybody ever choose not to wear shoes on their hands while eating? Nobody I know has ever had the slightest problem holding a fork between the soles of the shoes that adorn their hands."

Legit usage.

That comparison is completely idiot and false. The difference between rolling a d4 and picking it up without trouble is 150lbs on the scale.

most fallacious argument I have ever seen on Veeky Forums

My deal with those is that they don't roll around in your hand very well due to how elongated they are. If they made them closer to cubes, they'd be much better, or at least I think they would. Of course, even the way they are, they're still vastly superior to pyramidal d4s.

>zing

BAZINGA!

...filthy platonist.

Omg those modrons have kidnapped people!

yep

To ensure that you can escape your persuers

Tetrahedron, I know you're a platonic solid and everything, but you make a terrible die.

Dodecahedron is best one
Confirmed waifu-tier die

i...i thought i was alone

D12 is best girl
but everyone thinks she's a sperg die because her faces are 5edgy

Not if it is referring to different types. Like "Peoples" and "fishes".

I think.

What do you do if you get a 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7 ,9, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, or 19.

You divide by 5, not 4. And you obviously round up. Of course, why you'd roll a d20 rather than a d8 (and divide by 2) remains a mystery to me. And personally, I'd rather roll a regular d4--as shitty as it is--than have to do that either (because inevitably, somebody's gonna go 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4 rather than 1,1,2,2,3,3,4,4, and somebody else is gonna confuse the count at some point).

Because that would make sense.
Sort of like rolling 4d%/2-1 instead of rolling 2D%-1.

but pentagons are the best polygons. some people are fucking animals.

>Get a set of transparent orange crystal dice at a con as a novelty
>They become my favorite DMing dice because of how fun it is to cast the d4/d6s/d10s at the screen
>Confident in the distribution of them, including the regular shapes, because transparent without bubbles
I concur.

Some of us have blue collar jobs and beefy hands. I always roll a d8 instead.

Blue Collar not Red Neck. I know it's complicated.

They can't be weaponized as easily

>ur polygon a shit
>square is for pure

>Implying that's am upside
Are you saying you've never used a d4 as an improvised weapons or traps before?

I have big hairy man hands and drop shit all the damn time, not once have i had problems with a pyramid d4.

For you to step on.

Classic D4 don't fucking roll

Get over your greasy sausage fingers, pinch the top or push it off a face to pick your d4 off the table.
Don't expect it to roll, throw it in the air well enough to give it some spin. If it bounces a bit after it lands, wonderful.

Shit, when did rolling a d4 get hard?

underrated post.

You think wrong.

No die is a problem when you have your own custom made Lego dice rolling tower

>directions, pls?

I dunno, I literally made 6, each one of a different colour, by throwing pieces together with absolutely no planning beforehand