EDH/Commander General

Banned Edition

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/yosei-sacrificial-edh/
strawpoll.me/10487504
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mannichi-edh-3/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/exploration-with-selvala/
mtgvault.com/lomean/decks/1245424/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

r8/h8/appreci8

decks ordered by power level

post yours 2

here's a card that should ACTUALLY be banned

I'm sortof of glad the mono black player in my group hasn't discovered this yet, would make his deck a combo-fest to rival narset

are you sure he hasnt just left it out for your sake?

i find it hard to imagine he doesnt know of the card

I require spicy tech for mono-white stax

Where do you draw the line between "git gud" and "social format"?

Let's say a player is running 5-color goodstuff and tries to curve boros reckoner into cryptic command into deity of scars, but a creeping mold wrecks his most important land and he durdles for the whole game. Who is at fault?

A player is running Alesha and runs a deck filled entirely with graveyard synergy and has zero utility cards. Another player drops rest in peace and he loudly proclaims that his "entire deck doesn't work" and begs the table to kill it. A player does attempt to naturalize it to be friendly, but the blue player counters it. Who is at fault?

Can you think of a scenario where it's appropriate to ask a player to go easy on the hate cards and let somebody's deck work? How much of an effort should a player put into being resilient and not being greedy on his deck's theme before the problem isn't the deckbuilder, but rather excessive hate?

Considering he has been playing since revised and doesn't remember what is in his favorite set OG Mirrodin I doubt he knows it.

>Let's say a player is running 5-color goodstuff and tries to curve boros reckoner into cryptic command into deity of scars, but a creeping mold wrecks his most important land and he durdles for the whole game. Who is at fault?
5c guy is a greedy bastard. If he has nothing at all to counteract the fact that his manabase is greedy as fuck, then he should accept the consequences of getting blown out by targeted LD.

In principle, the guy who neutered him is a dick, but he had it coming if he has nothing in place to counter a critical weakness of his deck.

>A player is running Alesha and runs a deck filled entirely with graveyard synergy and has zero utility cards. Another player drops rest in peace and he loudly proclaims that his "entire deck doesn't work" and begs the table to kill it. A player does attempt to naturalize it to be friendly, but the blue player counters it. Who is at fault?
Again, greed is the issue. That the blue player countered the removal makes him a dick, but the greedy player should consider shit like this.

>Can you think of a scenario where it's appropriate to ask a player to go easy on the hate cards and let somebody's deck work? How much of an effort should a player put into being resilient and not being greedy on his deck's theme before the problem isn't the deckbuilder, but rather excessive hate?
Don't be a greedy shit. If you are, accept that bad things will happen when your weakness gets targeted.

Nothing you described here is excessive hate. Excessive hate is the guy who missed two land drops early due to mana screw being hit by targeted LD 3 times in a turn. Excessive hate is when the table gangs up on one guy to reduce him to nothing but lands with no cards in hand because he played something scary but didn't win immediately. Excessive hate is kicking someone who's already down because you can, not because you should.

Wait , did they actually ban Craterhoof?

No. Fuck, seriously? It's a local meme.

It looks like you've got a good collection of decks around. A fairly balanced aggro/combo/control meta though it looks like you want more aggressive decks in your meta.

I'm currently being salty about tiers that people put generals in. Obviously there are generals that are better than others, azami over blind seer or whatever, but a well built and piloted suboptimal general will always be better than a poorly built and clumsily piloted top tier general.
Like my Zedruu is the deck with the dual lands and aggressive combos coupled with efficient removal and counterspells. It's no 1v1 beast, but it wins often because it's a reasonably well built deck and people consistently underestimate it.

>playing at the card store
>pick up game with some randoms
>one says "I've never lost to a Zedruu deck"
>well now's your time buddy
>give people some howling mines and shit
>play academy rector then soup verdict
>fetch mind over matter
>combo off with Temple Bell

game 2
>durdle for a few turns
>board wipe
>next turn enduring ideal reverbrated
>fetch rule of law + possibility storm
>lockdown enabled
>slowly burn everyone out with Purphoros and Heliod tokens
>eldrazi conscription + copy enchantment helps close the game

No one is at fault in any of those scenarios except the faggots for getting salty. In a format like EDH there is nothing unreasonable about running grave or land hate when those are exceptionally strong strategies. If your deck is a one trick pony you should be prepared to deal with getting blown out every so often

Yeah zedruu can definitely be strong, he's clunky but there's nothing weak about drawing extra cards and gaining life in your upkeep

The only reason I rated the zedruu deck last of the yellow players decks is because the other 3 are even better, his zedruu deck is quite strong

No one in meta wants to run answers or removal and its driving me nuts. It isn't like we had low-powered decks either. People just refuse to deal with anything. This just leads to someone making a good deck, winning non stop for weeks because no one can or would stop them. That player then gets bored of just winning and makes a slightly worse deck. Repeat this for a year and everyone is running low powered decks and its down to a die roll who ends up winning by the time late game rolls around

>2016
>painter's servant is still banned

Why would people do this? The RC has a stated policy of not banning cards you can deliberately be a dick with. Every supposed argument against unbanning Painter's Servant uses an example that involves people deliberately being dicks.

Linking from other thread because I didn't notice there was two
>

This sounds hellish. Board wipes at least pretty much define the format more than anything other than commanders themselves.
I too entered into a meta where this was pretty much the case though.
In every game the one dude who had either RUG combo or King Brago won, except for when I focused all my interaction on him, at which point the shitty monogreen player or someone else would win. Everyone was playing solitaire, just trying to get their fat plays out first. UG was super dominant and I had one guy throw a shit-fit when I countered his harrow.

I've got a Yosei deck here, any suggestions?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/yosei-sacrificial-edh/

Strawpoll time:
Would you consider it rude for someone to make a deck with a commander you already run?

strawpoll.me/10487504

>mono-white

user I..

Do what I did and run spot removal and tutors the deck. You get to be a good combo deck, while ruining everyone's fun.

Do you want to make it good and unbearable to play against?

Focus on ramp, stax, and sacs.

The best way to win is going to be to ramp Yosei out on turn 2 or 3 consistently, and then sac Yosei to lock the next most threatening player out of the game. You then try to repeat this process every turn with copius amounts of creature recursion, until you can set up a true stax lock. White naturally has less card advantage than the other colors, so you have to slow down their game to speed yours up (relatively speaking of course).

I know, but I'm kind of addicted to mono-colored decks and you can't stop me.

I also have a bit of a mono-red problem.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mannichi-edh-3/

>I know, but I'm kind of addicted to mono-colored decks and you can't stop me.

It's okay user. I have the same problem

I'm never going to tell someone what they can or cannot build but i would prefer if it was built differently to the existing deck.

Just to let you know, if you sacrifice yosei, you don't get his trigger if you use the commander replacement effect

Hey, it's Mannichi-user. Wondered where you fucked off to. How's the deck running these days, user?

Pls help

Idk who remembers me but a while ago I said something about a Tasigur infinite deck with Hornet Sting as the kill

I've had the deck done for about 1.5-2 months and I've played in five EDH FNMs. The first one went alright, somebody managed to Jarad everyone to death. The second one I got to do the infinite mana+Tasigur-draw-my-whole-deck+Hornet Sting and kill everybody at the table.

Now the entire table focuses me save for my Zedruu friend who liked it when everyone got Stung to death. I'm talking people start directing entire combat steps at me, and I'm the first one to eat a kill combo.

Am I missing something about EDH? Am being le tryhard elitist faglord for having an mostly-unstoppable wincon, even if that wincon is "Deal you one damage over and over again"? I'm kinda steamed because "the shop EDH guy" said "Yeah we're all kinda tryhard honestly, I'm sure whatever you build will be on powerlevel with everyone else" but I've had several people come up to me after and tell me my deck is "fucking wicked but a kick in the nuts to play against" and I assume that's why I keep getting targeted. The same thing happened with my friend who build Sidisi Elves with a Craterhoof killcon and he won't play with them anymore.

I'm kinda bummed because I dropped about $1.5k in actual cash (not counting trades/borrowing/etc) to build it and now it's collecting dust until I can get to a GP to trade stuff off.

Any recommendations of stuff to cut then?

I am aware, that is why I have stuff like Adarkar Valkyrie, Reya Dawnbringer, Yomiji, Who Bars the Way, Sigil of the New Dawn, Gift of Immortality, and Angelic Renewal

Cool, I guess I have a name now. I've been lurking on and off. At the moment there is a mono-planeswalkers Progenitus deck that is dominating my meta right now... It's making it annoying to run some of my favorite decks and I basically always have to be running my Reaper King control deck just to keep him from going off on turn 4.

Take a look at my Yosei deck, it has a few neat tricks in it.

neither of you guys have a " just bought the mardu commander deck online but subb'ed in a few cards" guy? that plays kaalia? i envy your play groups

>Cool, I guess I have a name now. I've been lurking on and off. At the moment there is a mono-planeswalkers Progenitus deck that is dominating my meta right now... It's making it annoying to run some of my favorite decks and I basically always have to be running my Reaper King control deck just to keep him from going off on turn 4.
Well, threadly reminder that namefags are cancer, though you're alright, so YMMV.

As for that Progenitus guy, all I can recommend is make a B/G deck based around tutoring for and recycling Aether Snap and Vampire Hexmage as hard as possible. Make it like Pharika or something so you have an amusing general to try and win with. Also, Aether Snap is a real card people should run more often.

If you're deck is unfun to play against, it's probably what happens befor you combo off, not the hornet sting part

But regardless, in my mind the best way to deal with people ganging up on you is to slow roll, and also, to be patient

Ganging up is either a necessary evil (your deck really is a different power level to theirs), or it's a mistake, and somebody else in your playgroup is going to punish that mistake every time it happens until it doesn't anymore

So I'm going to my first EDH game at my LGS tomorrow with precon Marath. Any suggestions or tips?

They have not banned it

I'm the zedruu player.
There are two Kaalia players in my meta. One runs Kaalia as Angel Tribal and it's a pretty sweet RWB control deck with fat angels as finishers. It's a fun deck to play against and Kaalia very rarely makes a t2 or 3 appearance. Run by a good friends sister. She's a fine player if a little slow and methodical with her plays.

The other is a shitty 'ramp out kaalia and start dropping fat' and seriously it's boring and a pain. The dude gets really salty if you kill Kaalia or remove the boots and starts complaining about how the game is unfun or that we're targeting him. It's more like
>we know for a fact you have Iona in your hand and I don't want to be locked out of the game you dipshit, exile Kaalia you may gain two life.

>fucking wicked but a kick in the nuts to play against
this is a hell of a compliment dude. Personally I think you should just keep playing it. If you notice some cards get a groan as a response then you should consider cutting them, but honestly Tasigur is an easy enough strategy to disrupt with instant speed graveyard hate or similar. I feel you bud, but BUG is a top tier color combination and Tasigur leads to a strong and hardy selection of tactics.

I mean I don't think it's SUPER powerful, it's just a bunch of Tutors until I get an infinite mana combo (Pili-Pala+Architect or Arg Elder + Maze of Ith usually) and then I cast Tasigur, draw my entire deck, and loop Hornet Sting until people die.

If your deck costs $1.5k + extra, then you should really be building it take on the entire table at once, archenemy style

Pay attention, don't be afraid to ask what cards and commanders do, don't be a tryhard salty crybaby
If you can do all that you'll have fun (and be doing more than what most of Veeky Forums can do)

i just started turning my zedruu into an enchantment control, any special tech i should know about?

See Is it actually super powerful and I'm just drunk? It's pretty much a bunch of Tutors and I set up an infinite mana thing. Once I get infinite mana we can't find a way to disrupt it though, outside Orim's Chant + Iso Scepter on my upkeep.

EDH is expensive, plus I went out and bought ABUR duels and fetches in my colors because I knew I'd need them eventually anyway (it's probably where most of the bill came from). As far as the Archenemy thing, it almost feels like it's happening. I have to set up my combo immediately or I get bowled over in the first half hour or so.

Pyromancer's swath is deadly

This should be an automatic include.

They're stand up guys outside of edh. I don't really want to ruin their fun or play a high level of solitaire myself. Honestly this situation has just burned me right out of EDH. I just play because its that or ignore my friends for 5 hours every time we meet up.

I wouldn't think of playing spot removal as ruining people's fun though. You're interacting with them. They're the ones who want to play solitaire.

Every combo you Murder is 3 players happy, and one player briefly unhappy.

not really

I mean it can be powerful but high variance cards like this are never auto includes

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but the hornet sting gimmick is fucking asinine. When you go infinite with Tasigur, you can win with literally anything. You can take infinite turns and kill everybody with with a wind drake if you wanted. Your win con is Tasigur combo, not the hornet sting. Hornet sting is a pointless distraction in this discussion.

Now that we are being realistic about the situation, there are a number of reasons why you are being targeted so harshly. Do all of the decks in your group rush for a combo finish to end the game? Do the players attempt to fight for the board or attack with creatures at all?

If the other players are trying to fight for the board or use creatures at some point, and you're the only player trying to play solitaire, you're going to be targeted every time. Is that what is happening?

>EDH is expensive
As a person that wants to get into EDH, I must ask: what is the cheapest you have ever spent on a deck? What is the most? What a "usual" amount you would expect to spend on a deck?

To the user with the Sedris deck from last thread: that deck is way too expensive and greedy mana-wise and you don't have enough lands

It's cheap, on-demand tutoring whenever you want it. A little risk doesn't immediately invalidate a card, look at how Gamble sees play (even in Legacy).

In an enchantment deck, the cards hitting the grave shouldn't be a problem with enough recursion.

Fair point. I'll give it a shot.

are there are blue/white or green/white control style decks that are not horribly unfun to play against? Im wanting to get into EDH but I also dont want to be that guy whose gameplan revolves around not letting my opponent do anything

The first deck I made I just made from the pieces of a ramp-deck that I didn't have enough playsets in and then fill in the gaps with things with high CMC laying around.
ez pz

My decks are worth on average $250 but I spend no moe than $100 whenever I build a new deck, because I use the $10-$15 staples from old decks I take apart

My first ever edh deck was only worth $100 and it was decently strong

I also was lucky enough to buy a number of cards at much lower prices than they are at now (bad news for you as a new edh player)

You can spend as much or as little as you want. EDH is only expensive if you demand to play only top-tier staples in your decks. There are a lot of highly effective and cheap cards in the format.

I personally find staples boring and look for cards that are a better fit with my particular commander whenever possible. Unless you are with a competitive group, you should be able to do the same and still be able to compete.

not who you are relying to but..

min: 40$ for a jank mill deck. At the time. I ran it through tcgplayer just now and its worth 100$ now

avg: 350$ is what a lot of my decks price at

max: I don't really want to check. I know individual cards in my most expensive deck have a price higher than 100$.

Yes there are

Control is more about answering your opponents plays than not letting them do anything

Stax decks are the ones that don't let your opponent do anything

You can play control in any color combo but card advantage is of the utmost importance so most control decks have either blue or black, but white green is still possible for a control deck, it just means you need to rely on greens card draw and both white and green's recursion and tutoring for card advantage

>tfw all your decks price at under $60 and you don't know whether to feel proud or ashamed of yourself

This is the cheapest deck I've ever bought. This is also the most expensive deck I've ever bought.

This is the only EDH deck I've ever bought. That being said, I wouldn't expect this to be the "usual" amount to spend on an EDH deck because I went a little all-out because I plan on using the expensive bits in other decks as well. StarCityJews does a lot of EDH articles iirc. It's EDH, you can spend as much or as little as you like.

There's a Lazav control, a Jarad dredge, a Zedruu group-hug, an Aurelia, and a Shattergang. The Sidisi Elves guy still has his deck together but never plays. Jarad and Aurelia (And Sidisi) are the only ones who actively try to win the game in a decent time period, the others durdle and jerk each other off for five hours and are mostly built out of cards they had from when they were in Standard, and then the owner tells them to fuck off so he can go home. So yeah, I guess I'm the only one that attempts to "solitaire my deck" and win the game.

Mate Wild Research is possibly the best card in my Zedruu deck. Instant speed, repeatable tutoring, plus zedruu draws enough cards that the 'discard at random' clause can be safely ignored. It can tutor up counterspells, cyc rift, removal, plus it can get me any enchantment that I want. Further, Mistveil plains is a card and it makes any downside negligible.
Wild Research is a must-have in UWR enchantment control.
Too true my man. Hell, sometimes if you're running stuff like replenish in an enchantment control you want things in your grave. How does this sound for a card
>cast gamble multiple times a turn every turn
sounds fucking beastly imo.

I just built a Zada, Hedron Grinder deck last week, and there's about $80 of value in her, and I spent about $21, the rest I had lying around or were ten cent commons.
It is also the least consistent but most fun deck I have ever built.

Everytime your commander would die/get tucked/etc, you can put it back in the Command Zone and it costs 2 more to cast, I get that.

And I also understand I can *choose* to have my Commander come back to my hand if someone tries to bounce it. Playing it from my hand is normal price?

Also, what determines the cost of my commander going up? Are they emblems? Counters? (Just curious if there was any way to interact with whatever mechanically causes the cost increase)

as far as i know, the commander tax is just something everybody has to be aware of, not explicitly an emblem but you might as well call it an emblem since nothing interacts with emblems right now

usually we use a dice to count how many times you've cast your commander. multiply that number by 2 and add it to your commanders mana cost and you have what you need to pay to play your commander from the command zone

if your commander is in your hand, you can cast for its normal mana cost, no matter what the command tax counter is at

I got someone to flip the table today

I'm not sure you understand how the deck works

I never cast any of the high cmc creatures, I discard them to all my myriad looting spells and reanimate them

The only high cmc spells I ever cast are cyclonic rift, Conjurer's closet, and Sedris himself

As far as my land count, 35 is what I use in all my decks (with 8-15 ramp pieces) and I rarely get mana screwed, I won't say it's the optimal amount because I'm not an expert, but I don't find myself wanting more lands, especially since I have so much looting and card draw in general

so would something like tappedout.net/mtg-decks/exploration-with-selvala/ be worth building towards? It doesnt seem too oppressive, looks like a blast to play, and I actually already have a lot of the more pricey parts of it. Only issue I see is that I would be relying on the commander for almost all of my draw

>So yeah, I guess I'm the only one that attempts to "solitaire my deck" and win the game.

There is your problem. I completely understand not wanting to fuck around for five hours, but there is a very wide space between that and having a deck that is nothing but tutors and combo pieces.

The options your deck provides to your opponents are:
1: Kill me before I kill you
2: Die suddenly

Guess which one of these options they are going to choose? You have created a situation where you have to immediately die because that's the only possible conclusion the other players can reach based on a sound threat assessment.

Try cutting the tutors for alternate win conditions and utility cards. If you happen to draw combo pieces or you manage to draw a lot of cards with a big turn at some point, you will still win. However, this will improve your ability to present a more modest threat profile and better protect yourself at the same time.

Casting a grave titan may put a lower threat level on you than just casting increasing ambition, but the grave titan can block. It also gives you a way to reply to players who might threaten you with combat damage.

I'd time spiral the shit out of your yosei m8
deck/10

There's nothing inherently wrong with your deck user. Solitaire offs can actually be fun. But you have to make sure you're playing on the same level as everyone else. The best way I've found to casualize decks, while still keeping them decently competitive is to replace all tutor effects (besides basic land search) with card draw spells.

>not sure if I want to run Infernal Kirin, He Who Hungers or Kyoki for my Monoblack Meme deck

yah i suppose in zedruu its good since you're running howling mines and drawing millions of cards

mistveil plains is good with it

my friend ran wild research in his numot the devastator deck and it only caused him heartbreak, thats why i said its not an autoinclude, but you make good points as to why its perfect for a zedruu deck with a focus on enchantments

>Playing it from my hand is normal price?
Yes.

>Also, what determines the cost of my commander going up? Are they emblems? Counters? (Just curious if there was any way to interact with whatever mechanically causes the cost increase)
Nothing represents the Tax and never will. It's a part of the mandate of the EDH Rules Committee, they don't want it to ever be interactable. Just use dice, like everyone I've ever met.

Run all three?

that deck isnt great, its not awful, but its not great

mainly because lifegain isnt great, its not awful, but its not great

you should definitely aim to run more card draw

I like Kyoki the least. You're letting your opponent choose what they want to get rid of. Even if you get a good engine going, giving your opponent options is never as strong as choosing yourself.

I also dislike Infernal Kirin, because they might not have anything in their hand that matches what you just played. HWH not only lets you get rid of one of their cards, but ALSO shows you their hand.

>webm
how the fuck

>tfw the stax engine gets online right at T3 and locks everyone out but me

it's just perspective tricks dude look up eschers waterfall if you want an explanation

Fair enough. When he told me "we're all competitive" I guess I went full retard. I guess my choices now are "turn it down" or "crank it the fuck up"

I fully intend on cranking it the fuck up until they tell me to stop playing the deck.

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK IS THIS SORCERY

Cut:
Eternal Dragon
Fountain Watch
Lost Auramancers
Reya Dawnbringer
Elspeth
Gideon
Soul Foundry (IIRC it doesn't work with Yosei, and it doesn't seem cost effective with anything else in your deck)
Add in:
Skullclamp+tokens
Mentor of the Meek
Sol Ring
Thran Dynamo
Mana Crypt
Mana Vault
Chrome Mox
Mox Opal
Mox Diamond
Grim Monolith
Basalt Monolith
Gilded Lotus
Mind Stone

Also, I just noticed the combo with Equipoise. That's neat and sadistic user. I really like you now. Good luck. I'm gonna try my hand at a yosei deck myself, purely because of that sick, sweet combo, and let you know my list.

its not real

its edited

not only is the whole contraption a perspective trick, the contraption does not in any way carry water throughout its structure, the video simply edits out the parts where he pours water into the higher levels of the structure

>just bought the mardu commander deck

you mean the one that costs over $100?

are you living in 2011?

Noted.

Honestly I am thinking of building a RW land hate deck specifically to counter his bullshit.

I like your style.
mtgvault.com/lomean/decks/1245424/

Thanks, I'll do some streamlining.

My local game shop has about 6 of them for MSRP. Mind you, no one lives in this town and it's really a comic book shop with dusty MTG packs and Precons from Coldsnap still.

Guess I should buy some.

hopefully he doesnt find out they sell for $250

you should buy all 6, they are going for $250 on tcgplayer

Does anyone have that phasing vs flickering infographic?

He's a cool guy and just sells them at MSRP.

I usually get my "From the Vault : *insert whatever*" here from him for exactly MSRP and not a penny more.

>it's 2016
>expecting Sheldon's Merry Men to do anything logical

This place sounds like a slice of heaven

Savor it

Sounds like you've made a few hundred dollars there bud. You'll also make him a few dollars just from buying it.

no but i can explain if you like

reply if you want me to, this way ill give time for somebody to post the graphic if they have it

Please do

I played against 2 of these people last week, playing my Sydri mana rocks deck. You either need a faster solitaire or infinite disruption, or a little of both.

Shame too, because the two decks were Mizzix and Gitrog, and I wanted to see if I could beat them at their best, not worst.

It's pretty cool. The owner is super old and is probably going to die within 5 or so years.

He kicks people out for swearing. Like if someone misplays or something and says "Shit!", he gets up and walks them out of the store. So, definitely eccentric.

How do I into Shattergang Bros? They look fun

Does he have any Coldsnap theme decks? Get all the shit you can, this place sounds rad