Khaine

>Khaine
>(tried to) kill his brother
>first being to commit murder
>cursed by supreme god to always be marked with his sin
Bravo GW

woah man

Yes, and?

So they basically ripped off Vampire noddist lore?
What hacks.

>GW are unsubtle with names and references, more news at 11

What is the bible.

Cain, senpai.

As if your shitty fantasy heartbreaker didn't plagiarize real world mythology either

You know this is obvious-tier level naming, right? Like I love 40k but don't try and pretend the names are terribly creative.
Consider some of the other names:
>Ferrus Manus, or "Iron Hand." Primarch of the Iron Hands legion.
>Angron. The angriest primarch is named anger
>Alpharius Omegon. First and last mixed with 'nefarious'
>Horus. Favored god-son of immortal deities
wew

>Corvus Corax, primarch of the Raven Guard, whose last known words were "Nevermore..."

Wait til you read about Sanguinius, user.

He's Jesus

...Nigga seriously

Not everyone grew up Christian, you know

It's still an INCREDIBLY common thematic reference in many literary works, especially today. You can't swing a bat without hitting a Bible reference into todays media, especially the tabletop/RPG scene, and that goes doubly so for stories that are considered canon works of the three largest religions on the planet.

I'm not gonna lie, you kinda have to be living under a rock to not know who Cain and Abel are, given how frequently they're referenced.

More people grew up Christian than grew up reading whatever the fuck you mentioned involving vampires you stupid ignorant fuck.

I didn't grow up Christian and I knew it.

I mean, I did grow up Jewish, but it still counts

>whatever the fuck you mentioned involving vampires
Probably Vampire the Masquerades, since Caine was the first vampire in that setting.

Cain and Abel is the Old Testament. So it's not Christian-specific, it's also Judaic.

This means pretty much all of the known first world and colonized third world should be familiar with it, unless you come from an Asian culture, are an eskimo, or are an African.

FUCKING CHRISTAINS AND THEIR GODDAM FARTYTALLES
THEY HAVE NO FUCKING VALUE
NO ONE SHOULD KNOW IT
STOP ACTING AS IT HAD SOME DORT OF INTRINSICT VALUE

>names that illustrate role in story
Writers have been doing that since time immemorial.

>mercutio (hotheaded like mercury)
>benvolio (benevolent/chill)
>romeo (huge romantic)
Wewlad shakespeare, what an uncreative hack amirite? Why can't he just name his characters gibberish like all the best fantasy writers?

>Why can't he just name his characters gibberish like all the best fantasy writers?

Rome-Oh and Julie T. by Will I Am Shakespeare!

So are Eldar Jews then?

Spirit stones as required burial rites, having a full body to reunite, sit at the table, etc. It could work.

Gosh Darn you sure showed us, guess we all better pack up all the science and history we saved and proliferated and toss it into a bin on the way to the fedora store. Sure glad you set us all right!

This was sarcasm

Has there been any fluff that elaborates on the history of pre-fall eldar or the unification wars?

That poster is an idiot and so are you. Both religion and aggressively pushed atheism are a blight on all life.

Even the Muslims know the story.

You seem to assume I am religious and some just some guy starting a fight for fun. Which still makes me an idiot, and probably a blight on all life, because my assumption is going to be that you consider everything not you and your opinion on the world is a blight on all life. Its cool man, I can dig it.

*and not just some guy starting a fight for fun.

Time to sleep instead of being a dick.

The story of Cain and Abel is perhaps one of the best known goddamn stories ever.

I wouldn't even put Cain and Abel into the top five biblical stories. I'd say the ones everyone knows are: Adam and Eve, Noah's Ark, Exodus, Four Horsemen, Jesus's Crucifixion, and Jesus's Birth.

If you don't keep up on pop culture and don't delve into sources of stuff you might think is a reference it is surprisingly easy to have common knowledge fly over your head.

Hell, I actually didn't notice until this thread because I always took too long mentally separating Kaine and Khorne for some reason I never noticed that Kaine is just sci-fi respelling.

Yes, but I wouldn't have thought that someone who can type would grow illiterate.

How are you gonna tell Adam and Eve's story without talking about Cain and Abel?

Holy shit OP, its almost as if they were trying to draw parallels

>Why can't he just name his characters gibberish like all the best fantasy writers?
This. People get so assblasted about Fantasy names either illustrating roles in the story or drawing parallels from real world history/mythology. This gets especially bad with place names
>the dragon back mountains? the turtle marshes? thats fucking stupid you can't come up with better names REEEEE!
like, do you not know how humans have been naming things and each other since the beginning of fucking history?

God made Earth, then he made a guy and a girl, then shit was cool until a snake made one of them eat an apple and then shit got fucked.

In it's simplest form Adam and Eve is about the first two people. They were naked in the woods and Eve ate an Apple and God kicked them out.

I didn't learn about Cain and Abel until much later. It's especially easy to be ignorant to it if you have no interest in history or religion. Granted that's strange in Veeky Forums because we are kind nerds. That guy could have been from an aggressively non-religious house so may not even know the basics, I was as well and I didn't learn this shit until I got interested in the mythology in high school. Or he could be from a predominantly Muslim country (I don't think Muslims have that story/don't emphasize it).

I just think ignorance is different from stupidity and can be forgiven if it isn't willful ignorance.

But he could just be shit posting, which is honestly more likely. I just kind of felt like defending him.

Nah m8 hardly anyone knows about Cain and Abel. Noah and Moses are were the shit's at

40K Khaine didn't try to kill his brother

>first being to commit murder

40K Khaine wasn't the first being to commit murder.

The C'tan gods were killing stars long before any sentient creature existed.

>cursed by supreme god to always be marked with his sin

Cursed for killing some snowflake Eldar dude. Asuryan had no issue with the countless Eldar he had killed in his rampage.

How can you play VTM and not know biblical references?

>40K Khaine wasn't the first being to commit murder.
>The C'tan gods were killing stars long before any sentient creature existed.

That's vandalism, not murder. For it to be murder it needs to be sentient, or at least alive.

Not really. Not everyone studies The Bible these days.

I didn't study Bible to learn that, I learned that by watching TV.

No it's not

desu, I'd never heard of Cain or Able before I read half of the Old Testament then never thought about them again until this thread after having forgotten them.

We never had Bible shows on TV here

calm down goobergaiter.

It's obvious shitposting, nigger. He knows Noddist lore, which is specifically mentioned over and over again alongside the bible in the VTM books.

The C'tan were sentient as space butterflies but their conscientiousnesses were so vast that they could not notice the existence of the lesser creatures crawling over the masses of matter that were circling the stars.

As the C'tan devoured the energy of stars, the planets orbitting the stars were bombarded with lethal amounts of radiation. Finally when the stars goes supernova after the C'tan fed enough from it, the planets and everything upon it will be reduced to cosmic dust.

I had heard of Cain and Abel, but in name only.

t. Non-religious New Zealander

Didn't notice the connection, neat.

Wow, I'm not sure if I ever made the Cain connection despite it being so obvious.

Not really surprising though since 40k and Fantasy are very derivative.

The Horus Heresy books from both BL and FW have little tidbits here and there about the Unification Wars. I think FW or at least one of the designers said that the Unification Wars would be something they'd like to do when finished with the Horus Heresy.

I'm going to blow your mind here, but if there are a few easter-eggs in this game that are Bible references.

For example, the book that lets you fly around is actually named after the book encompassing the Christian scriptures (name escapes me at the moment).

He might be talking about how Cain is a popular figure to use in pop culture. He's featured in a lot of movies, comics, etc that want to put an ancient immortal in their modern setting.

Neither did we. Pretty much what

I mean the starts must be sentient, not C'Tan. Jeez...

>Kane
>looks like he was marked as sinful i don't know
Bravo WWE

>Kane
>may or not be the biblical Cain

Bravo Westwood

>Kain

Actually no other similarities, but bravo Silicon Knighta/Crystal Dynamics anyway.

1. Cain and Abel are Abrahamic mythology, not Christian mythology. Jews and Muslims believe in them too.

2. Holy shit the story of Cain and Abel is so widely proliferated, you have to be blind and deaf to miss it. I grew up with zero tangible Abrahamic influence on my life, in an area where legit Christians or Jews or Muslims are relatively rare, and I still know it. They're referenced constantly as archetypal feuding brothers.

Khaine is the first being in the bible to atempt fraticide.

Khaine in Warhammer is the god of war and Murder.

Malekith is the Dark Elf king in norse Mythology
Malekith is the Dark Elf Witch King in Warhammer.

>Cain
>(repeatedly) killed his brother

Bravo Gaiman

>Wewlad shakespeare, what an uncreative hack amirite?

Not a hack, but writing in a different time, and a different context. Plays were being censored by the morality police, and the influence of morality plays was strong. Everything was expected to have a moral lesson, and blatantly obvious character names were a way of hitting the censors over the head with it. Besides, Shakespeare only had a couple of hours to establish characters - you can be more subtle when you've got hundreds of pages.

Considering they actually ARE Cain and Abel, I feel this should get a pass.

He also refused the sacrifice.

Adam and Eve, Noah or Moses are probably more well known.

Also Gaiman didn't invent them, they are the hosts of DC's copy of Tales of the Crypt.

How do people not realize that this post is a joke

Lots of people don't realize that a lot of Vertigo characters already existed prior to the Vertigo line.

What the hell are the starts?

There is a lot of characters named Khaine or varation of that name in fiction. Mot of them are evil.

Why focus on 40K?