Giving enemies bonuses to grapple PCs with long hair or loose clothing

>giving enemies bonuses to grapple PCs with long hair or loose clothing

Is this fair?

yes

Maybe, but if you're going to start doing that, you need to account for everything that could possibly provide a bonus or a penalty for grapple, and it'll inevitably spiral out of control.

>giving enemies bonuses to grapple PCs with long dicks or loose vaginas

Is this fair?

Depends on the tone of the game.

If it's a realistic, gritty affair? It seems dickish, but if you want to, sure.

In anything more heroic, cinematic or mechanically loose, those are the sort of details that just make things boring and irritating.

Only if they get a penalty to grapple my PC if he is slathered in slippery oil.

If your dick or labia are large enough to where it's a serious impediment to fighting, you already have other medical issues you need to get taken care of first.

It should only be if the player targets an enemy's loose clothing, and the bonus fades after the first turn.

what it is

is gay

>Is this fair?
It depends on the system, but almost always, "no."

In Dungeons and Dragons (any edition, as far as I know) there is a list of stats that explains the combat capabilities of any given PC. Hair length and clothing looseness are not among the statistics.

Furthermore, while players can (and may be encouraged) to detail their PCs appearance and history, these are explicitly roleplay information that is not relevant in the actual mechanics of combat. Rather, such details are distinguished and separate from mechanical information.

Regardless on how much it might make sense realistically, on a strictly by-the-rules level, it is not proper.

In addition, it's a bad idea on a meta level. As the DM (or system equivalent) you're almost certainly going to want your player to personally invest themselves in their characters. As such, you should be incentivizing your players adding such descriptive flourishes to their character sheets, and not penalizing them.

For improperly violating the crunch/fluff barrier I'd say it's unfair and for discouraging good player behavior I'd say it's unwise, and between the two of them I'd call it a bad idea.

Would it make sense to penalize PCs for having long hair or loose clothing? Yes, absolutely.

Good DMs don't restrict themselves by what makes sense.

>improperly violating the crunch/fluff barrier
I know it's kind of bad manners to quote yourself but I want to emphasize how proud I am of this phrase.

Pat yourself on the back harder, user. It makes you come off like an adult.

today you earn your autist stripes user

I'd say no, it's more realistic yes, but not very fair unless you're willing to give them some bonus to balance it

>All this >implying that the rules define the setting instead of emulating it in a useful fashion
Sometimes you change the effects of rolls or add modifiers where you're not explicitly told to because it just makes sense.
Yes, I may ask you to roll a check to see if you fear a specific NPC because he's very similar to the man who abused your character as a child.
Is that part of his statblock? It's a one-time thing, so probably not.
Does it need to be? Fuck no.

Write down the purpose of your campaign. Then make a list of what you need to back that purpose.

Does what you're doing match something on the list? No? Don't do it then - it only detracts from the experience.

user, what does that have to do about anything

Indeed, eventually the players will just go around this and just do everything nude and bald.

If you don't know shit about grappling you probably shouldn't try.

Flowing clothing could give an advantage or be a hindrance. You know those white pajamas martial artists wear?
It's called a Gi.
A Gi can be used as an offensive and defensive tool by a skilled practitioner.

Point being;
You are a turbo retard autist and you should consider suicide.

...Just as planned?

Only if you want to "get back" at the player who pissed you off somehow

If somebody has a vagina THAT loose, it will be only fair if they get an engulf attack ability.

>giving enemies penalties to grapple PCs with spiked armour or clothing

Is this fair?

Those usually cause damage to an opponent in grapple.
So penalty is more of "do I really want to grapple that?"

And why should PCs not get this bonus?

Because all of my enemies are bald and where body gloves.

It's not a fetish thing, I swear.

*wear body gloves.

Time for bed.

Look user when all your enemies are animate bodygloves it's DEFINITELY a fetish.

I imagined wearing that, getting with with a blunt weapon, and cringed.

The problems that I see with giving random bonuses/penalties on an ad hoc basis are that it's very unlikely that you'll do so evenhandedly and the players don't know when to expect you'll think something's worth one and when something isn't, or worse, they do know and it's "whenever the GM's favorite wants something" or "whenever the party's not sufficiently on the rails" or whatnot. Pretty much the whole point of having a rule system is so that everyone knows what to expect and it's (hopefully) had its balance properly worked out beforehand. That's not to say that there are never flaws or gaps in the rules that might need some filling or fixing, but it gets really troublesome when stuff does or doesn't matter to an arbitrary degree in an unpredictable manner based entirely on how the GM feels at the moment.

Only if you give the same bonuses to PCs, *and* include enemies that make the same mistakes.

Honestly, how hard is it for you to be consistent in your games? To apply the same rules to pCs and NPCs in combat? With you favoring NPCs by punishing a PC for having "loose clothes" or "long hair", Not everyone yoy have them fight against is going to be bald and wearing a spandex catsuit. (Or, given how monster designs work, scaly and naked).

By your metric, long haired housecats, with their loose skin and shaggy pelts should be super easy to grapple. Have you ever tried to bathe a long hair house cat? Have you??? They will FUCK YOU UP.